Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones in Fresno, 1965, cool news footage
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 2, 2021 04:57

Saw them the next night in Sacramento. Don't know if this has been posted before but its pretty kool.

jb

Re: Stones in Fresno, 1965, cool news footage
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 2, 2021 08:31

jbwelda
Saw them the next night in Sacramento. Don't know if this has been posted before but its pretty kool.

jb

What terrible U.S. management they must have had at the time. Fresno, of all places. The armpit of California. I spent a month there one week. Boredom does not cover the range of emotions lovely Fresno evokes.

Date: March 2, 2021 09:26

Its the biggest city in the lower central valley and was about the size of cities they were touring at the time, location aside. Actually, the only reason Fresno is derided is it is in California and therefore compared to way greater areas. If we are talking the entire USA, then they played a lot of way lesser venues back then, especially in the midwest and northern parts. As noted in the video, it was a pretty poor turnout, even for Fresno. But the fans got a pretty hot show despite the size of the turnout. I had heard of this show and had always thought I had missed my chance by not going all the way down there to attend it. Was a bit too far a stretch for my 15 year old self.

Oh and it would not be US management that was setting the tour stops, the tour itinerary was of course figured out ahead of time by ALO probably. Minimal support from US record label London, pretty much on their own with Ian Stewart probably acting as tour manager. You can see him, I think, with his back to the camera chatting up some local gals while others are doing the same to Jagger and someone over to his left.

jb

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: March 3, 2021 03:21

jbwelda
Its the biggest city in the lower central valley and was about the size of cities they were touring at the time, location aside. Actually, the only reason Fresno is derided is it is in California and therefore compared to way greater areas. If we are talking the entire USA, then they played a lot of way lesser venues back then, especially in the midwest and northern parts. As noted in the video, it was a pretty poor turnout, even for Fresno. But the fans got a pretty hot show despite the size of the turnout. I had heard of this show and had always thought I had missed my chance by not going all the way down there to attend it. Was a bit too far a stretch for my 15 year old self.

Oh and it would not be US management that was setting the tour stops, the tour itinerary was of course figured out ahead of time by ALO probably. Minimal support from US record label London, pretty much on their own with Ian Stewart probably acting as tour manager. You can see him, I think, with his back to the camera chatting up some local gals while others are doing the same to Jagger and someone over to his left.

jb

Pretty cool video JB, I have not seen before.

Not sure why folks shade on Fresno. I've always enjoyed my time there.

We all have armpits right ? smiling smiley

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: March 3, 2021 07:39

This Spring 1965 tour was the Stones third tour of North America having already conducted two tours in 1964. Their first stop on the first 1965 tour (they also toured N.A. in the fall of 65) was in Montreal, Canada where i happened to live at the time. I did not see them on the Spring tour but they were back in Montreal just 6 months later in October and that was the first time i witnessed a Rolling Stones concert which maybe lasted all of 10 minutes before a riot broke out and the band had to flee the stage and the venue. As the song says, it was a "gas,gas,gas".

Attached is an interview with the band which was conducted by a local media person at the time of their first visit to Montreal in April 1965 and it's obvious from the interview that Brian was still very much the band leader and Charlie was Charlie and Bill was Bill - pretty amusing actually.

^^^-Sorry, not Fresno, but it was 56 odd years ago so, still in the general ballpark.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 3, 2021 11:10

It is fascinating, all the varying locations and venues they’d perform at during these very-early North American and U.K. tours: cities and towns that many would give no though to, ordinarily. Many of the venues are, now, long-gone cinemas, theatres, baseball grounds and race-tracks

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 3, 2021 14:15

24FPS
jbwelda

jb

What terrible U.S. management they must have had at the time. Fresno, of all places. The armpit of California. I spent a month there one week. Boredom does not cover the range of emotions lovely Fresno evokes.
Very cool , thanks for posting !

Date: March 4, 2021 08:29

jb[/quote]

We all have armpits right ? smiling smiley[/quote]

Because I was there for two weeks taking a class. It truly sucked. Boring on a whole new level. I drove around one day, looking for something. I found nothing. And it has a high crime rate. Enjoy it if you like.

Date: March 4, 2021 08:35

About one hour east of Fresno is Kings Canyon National Park. And Yosemite is another hour or so north. Northern Los Angeles is about an hour and half south. So its a matter of perspective. Most places in the USA don't have anything close by even approaching the grandeur.

But enough of the travelogue, actually it is much as 24fbs describes, but there are some excellent Mexican restaurants and taco trucks around if you are willing to risk the high crime. Most probably nothing will happen to you unless you are looking for it to happen. But the place actually pretty much sucks, thats quite true, then as now. I am sure the Stones didn't hang around for longer than they had to.

jb

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 4, 2021 22:47

24FPS
jbwelda

jb

More like Fres-NO

Date: March 5, 2021 00:40

Its funny...amongst the reggae people in Fresno there was this thing going on about being positive: Fres-YES! Unfortunately I never really moved beyond the Fres-hell-no.

But let me tell you, compared to being out in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa, its pretty darn nice there, at least as far as things to do go. And theres a lot of corn fields etc in America.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2021 01:01

ryanpow
24FPS
jbwelda

jb

More like Fres-NO

It's generally a horrible place. I was there a couple of years ago for some Neil Young theater shows, and the downtown area left alot to be desired to put it mildly.
At least one bail bonds business on every block, a few seedy bars, derelicts everywhere, and even the Radisson I stayed at was basically a slummy crime-ridden shithole.
Drove around the second day killing some time and to escape the downtown nastiness, and it was basically misery everywhere for the most part, though I did find a nice breakfast joint amidst the squalor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-05 01:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 5, 2021 01:40

Hairball
ryanpow
24FPS
jbwelda

jb

More like Fres-NO

It's generally a horrible place. I was there a couple of years ago for some Neil Young theater shows, and the downtown area left alot to be desired to put it mildly.
At least one bail bonds business on every block, a few seedy bars, derelicts everywhere, and even the Radisson I stayed at was basically a slummy crime-ridden shithole.
Drove around the second day killing some time and to escape the downtown nastiness, and it was basically misery everywhere for the most part, though I did find a nice breakfast joint amidst the squalor.

Lol That's never a good sign.

Date: March 5, 2021 01:40

That's called the heart of the city there hairball, Shakedown Street at its zenith, best you stay in the burbs if you cannot handle it star.

Just kidding but you know the drill. I actually prefer the old derelict areas much more than the sanitized malls that are everywhere these days. Great old buildings in downtown Frezhellno and interesting people if only you stop to mingle.

PS: you never know when you are going to need some quick bail money, so thats a plus in my book.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-05 01:41 by jbwelda.

Date: March 5, 2021 16:40

jbwelda
That's called the heart of the city there hairball, Shakedown Street at its zenith, best you stay in the burbs if you cannot handle it star.

Just kidding but you know the drill. I actually prefer the old derelict areas much more than the sanitized malls that are everywhere these days. Great old buildings in downtown Frezhellno and interesting people if only you stop to mingle.

PS: you never know when you are going to need some quick bail money, so thats a plus in my book.

jb

I got up early one day and drove around, looking for anything. I passed a Target Department Store. (A discount place. Do they have those in Europe?) I kept driving, and driving, looking for any civilization, and then I passed another Target! There was a line around the block on a Monday night to get into the local Olive Garden. I was there for two weeks, free hotel room. The minute Friday classes were done I drove the 300 miles home until I had to be back to Fresno Monday morning. That whole Central Valley of California is a world unto itself. Nearby Bakersfield sprouted that whole Buck Owens country scene. Hell, California is a world unto itself, it has so many different cultures and places.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: March 10, 2021 01:02

BN78
jbwelda

jb

We all have armpits right ? smiling smiley

I dig Fresno. There used to be some great honky-tonky bars there. Wonder if they're still there.

The Stones also played San Bernardino in that tour, another California hinterland city.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home