Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones - 6th February 1968 - interview and jam with mick jagger
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: March 1, 2021 23:55

Re: Brian Jones - 6th February 1968 - interview and jam with mick jagger
Date: March 2, 2021 00:03

nzentgraf (http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm) - 680206A ...

they did also stray cat blues on this day,
so the jam sounds like the ending of stray cat...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 2, 2021 00:06

How sad. He sounds together, cognizant of where the Stones were, and where they are going. Yet he rapidly fell apart.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 01:05

Ah damn, that jam video isn't available anymore..! sad smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 2, 2021 14:03

DiamondDog7
Ah damn, that jam video isn't available anymore..! sad smiley

Everything from that day can be listened to via the original source:

Pop Chronicles Interviews #56 - Mick Jagger and Brian Jones

smoking smiley

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: March 2, 2021 14:45

He had less than a year and a half left of his life. Hard to marry this version of Brian (articulate, self aware) with the Brian who descended rapidly into incoherent chaos.

Date: March 2, 2021 15:26

redkev
He had less than a year and a half left of his life. Hard to marry this version of Brian (articulate, self aware) with the Brian who descended rapidly into incoherent chaos.

His problems intensified and his health deteriorated further and fast after 21st May 1968 drugs bust and during the long wait for the trial in September.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 2, 2021 15:51

I vaguely recollect reading a quote from Bill Wyman, whereby he states that the group were having difficulties with Brian as early as 1965; or perhaps it was '64. He went on to say that they considered asking Jimmy Page. They certainly knew Page, but whether they genuinely considered is something we'll never know.

Date: March 2, 2021 16:12

Big Al
I vaguely recollect reading a quote from Bill Wyman, whereby he states that the group were having difficulties with Brian as early as 1965; or perhaps it was '64. He went on to say that they considered asking Jimmy Page. They certainly knew Page, but whether they genuinely considered is something we'll never know.

Yes, there were issues during their 2nd US tour when Brian seems to have burned the candle at both ends which ended up affecting his health, 2 recording sessions and 4 concerts. I think this in addition to the usual ups and downs prompted them to consider replacing him.

Some peace must have been found as this was the last time he missed concerts and they, thankfully, kept going as is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 16:20 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 2, 2021 16:35

His Majesty

Yes, there were issues during their 2nd US tour when Brian seems to have burned the candle at both ends which ended up affecting his health, 2 recording sessions and 4 concerts. I think this in addition to the usual ups and downs prompted them to consider replacing him.

Some peace must have been found as this was the last time he missed concerts and they, thankfully, kept going as is.

Yes, I suspected it was relating to his failure to perform on several occasions. He may have missed some U.K. shows, too. I just don't feel the lifestyle was suited to him. He obviously didn't have a particularly strong constitution.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 16:43

This whole narrative that from the fall of 1968 Brian was this total substance abuse wreck incapable of anything I think is overstated , particularly by Mick and Keith.I’m sure he was messed up on drugs and alcohol at a lot of those sessions which impaired his ability to participate in making music, but I think it was other things also.He couldn’t play with Keith anymore.Maybe because of Anita.Could not get a visa to tour America.Did not want to play guitar with Keith.Was into electronic music more than the rest.I think that because he died shortly after he was fired, the other Stones might have felt little guilty that instead of firing him they could have helped him more.So this narrative it was inevitable he would die before 30 was created.Keith was pretty messed up on drugs in the early70s,so much so Nils Lofgren wrote Keith Don’t Go ,because people thought he might die.But he still had a desire to create great music with the band, which Brian apparently nolonger had in 1969. Look at the drug out zombie Eric Clapton was at the Concert for Bangladesh.Yet he cleaned up.But had he died around that time from a heroin overdose people might be talking about him like they do about Brian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 17:02 by Taylor1.

Date: March 2, 2021 18:28

Taylor1
This whole narrative that from the fall of 1968 Brian was this total substance abuse wreck incapable of anything I think is overstated , particularly by Mick and Keith.

Repetition of the same tales for sure creates exaggeration, but he was undeniably damaged and indeed the issues between Brian and the band wasn't just about him abusing drugs.

There's a definite degree of him intentionally withholding, not giving his all etc and his death does give a finality and definable image of him when he was at his least active musically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 18:40 by His Majesty.

Date: March 2, 2021 18:36

<Was into electronic music more than the rest>

Was he really? Didn't Mick and Keith fiddle about with the Moog as well + Mick's mellotron? There is no doubt about Brian being the one to utilise it best on the albums, though.

And Bill was certainly into electronic instruments, as we know from later recordings and his solo albums.

Date: March 2, 2021 18:42

DandelionPowderman

Was he really? Didn't Mick and Keith fiddle about with the Moog as well + Mick's mellotron? There is no doubt about Brian being the one to utilise it best on the albums, though.

And Bill was certainly into electronic instruments, as we know from later recordings and his solo albums.

Keith cluelessly moving cables about to someone else's audio is a bit of stretch to show interest in electronic music. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 2, 2021 18:52

Big Al

Yes, I suspected it was relating to his failure to perform on several occasions. He may have missed some U.K. shows, too. I just don't feel the lifestyle was suited to him. He obviously didn't have a particularly strong constitution.

He kinda invited ill health by not taking care and partying etc on tour. On 2nd US tour, rather than rest up it seems he went out or partying in hotel which eventually lead to him getting ill, then seriously ill. Hence the angst from the band about the missed 4 concerts on that tour because he had essentially brought it on himself.

He would probably have been fine had he took more care, but that's seemingly not who he was. hot smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 20:49

Listening to that interview with Brian from February 6,1968,on this website was for me a revelation because it shows that at least during the Satanic Majesties sessions he was heavily involved in the creating of the album.Not the image of some drugged out musician being propped up on a chair and adding overdubs on some songs that Keith and Mick deemed useable. In fact he alludes to actually writing the music when he said voices were put over the tracks.He also sounds lucid and funny.He in fact has a mannerism you hear in Mick in that he laughs a lot at the end of his answers which Mick does a lot.I always find Dandieman and His Majesty’s comments illuminating, but I don’t buy Brian’s death was the inevitable end to his downfall.Putting aside he may have been the victim of a homicide, his so called “decline” was really only for 1year from 1968-1969.Had he lived he easily could have cut out his substance abuse and got back on the road to healthy life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 20:50 by Taylor1.

Date: March 2, 2021 20:53

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Keith cluelessly moving cables about to someone else's audio is a bit of stretch to show interest in electronic music. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

At least he looked curious and interested grinning smiley

Date: March 2, 2021 20:57

Taylor1
Listening to that interview with Brian from February 6,1968,on this website was for me a revelation because it shows that at least during the Satanic Majesties sessions he was heavily involved in the creating of the album.Not the image of some drugged out musician being propped up on a chair and adding overdubs on some songs that Keith and Mick deemed useable. In fact he alludes to actually writing the music when he said voices were put over the tracks.He also sounds lucid and funny.He in fact has a mannerism you hear in Mick in that he laughs a lot at the end of his answers which Mick does a lot.I always find Dandieman and His Majesty’s comments illuminating, but I don’t buy Brian’s death was the inevitable end to his downfall.Putting aside he may have been the victim of a homicide, his so called “decline” was really only for 1year from 1968-1969.Had he lived he easily could have cut out his substance abuse and got back on the road to healthy life.

I reckon you have listened to the brilliant Satanic Sessions? Very interesting regarding the creation of TSMR. My email is open if you don't have this gem.

Date: March 2, 2021 21:08

Taylor1

Brian was totally involved with TSMR. This whole crap about him, in blues purist mode, being against it etc does not stand up to even minor scrutiny. With the exception of 2000 Man, which he seemingly didn't play on, on all the other tracks he plays important parts sometimes on more than one instrument. smoking smiley

By 1969 his health, heart, liver etc were damaged. Then there's his breathing issues, alcoholism, and prescription drug habit or reliance. Health wise he was a ticking time bomb by 1969. Death was not inevitable perhaps, but his way of living and the damage it did to his body was inviting it. To avoid it would probably have required him to totally cut out alcohol and drugs, legal or otherwise.

He was an alcoholic, far from easy to overcome, then there was the other issues.

EDIT: Anyway, back to music. cool smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 21:37 by His Majesty.

Date: March 2, 2021 21:13

more than 5 hours of satanic-sessions ...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 3, 2021 00:28

thomashanck
more than 5 hours of satanic-sessions ...

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1341
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home