Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian's last recording session ?
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: February 28, 2021 20:16

Can anyone please confirm the last date Brian recorded with the Stones in the studio ?

thanks

Re: Brian's last recording session ?
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 28, 2021 20:32

The last song he's on was Midnight Rambler. Recorded in the spring of 1969. According to Nico Zentgraf, March 10 or March 11.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-28 20:34 by Topi.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 28, 2021 20:39

Maybe also originally on Country Honk or Honky Tonk Women,but was erased?When I listen to the drumless Honky Tonk Women I can hear more than two guitars,maybe one was Brian.And in some biography of Brian Brian’sfather said he had played on Honky Tonk Women and had arranged it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-28 20:45 by Taylor1.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: February 28, 2021 21:26

Has there been thread that highlights all Brian's contributions? I'd love to know, not only the special instruments he coloured recordings with but also guitar, harmonica etc. I have no idea what's Keith and what's Brian on guitar in the early days. I know some would say that's the point, but it would be fun to know who took what solo, who was on harmonica etc.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 28, 2021 22:10

Taylor1
Maybe also originally on Country Honk or Honky Tonk Women,but was erased?When I listen to the drumless Honky Tonk Women I can hear more than two guitars,maybe one was Brian.And in some biography of Brian Brian’sfather said he had played on Honky Tonk Women and had arranged it

Brian most certainly did not arrange HTW. That song was all Mick and Keith. Whether he played on an early version of it is another question. I assumed that HTW had only two guitars. One Keith's and the other Taylor's overdubbed guitar.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 28, 2021 22:17

bakersfield
Has there been thread that highlights all Brian's contributions? I'd love to know, not only the special instruments he coloured recordings with but also guitar, harmonica etc. I have no idea what's Keith and what's Brian on guitar in the early days. I know some would say that's the point, but it would be fun to know who took what solo, who was on harmonica etc.

Find yourself a copy of 'The Rolling Stones All the Songs.' Nothing is going to be 100% accurate. I don't know any wild, non slide solos that Brian took. Not like Keith doing Chuck Berry. In fact I can't think of a non-slide solo by Brian. (And not the riff from Last Time.)

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 28, 2021 23:16

bakersfield

Nobody has a perfect list with info, but Zendgraf is doing well, and I also check on Kernbach/Benson's book and Keno's songs list occasionally, just to get an idea without expecting anything to be completely correct.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: February 28, 2021 23:36

JordyLicks96
Taylor1

Brian most certainly did not arrange HTW. That song was all Mick and Keith. Whether he played on an early version of it is another question. I assumed that HTW had only two guitars. One Keith's and the other Taylor's overdubbed guitar.
You do a fantastic job posting stuff.On the drumless Honky Tonk Women with the vocals off I can hear a third guitar in the last minute of the song that is not Taylor.Maybe Brian?

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 1, 2021 05:06

Taylor1
JordyLicks96
Taylor1

You do a fantastic job posting stuff.On the drumless Honky Tonk Women with the vocals off I can hear a third guitar in the last minute of the song that is not Taylor.Maybe Brian?

Hmmm that's interesting! Would you be able to post a link to the drumless version?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 1, 2021 07:14

Taylor1

In the David Dalton book The First 20 Years, there is an article by Stanley Booth talking about his visit to Cheltenham to visit Mr. Jones and go to the cemetery. He mentions Mr. Jones saying that Brian played Honky Tonk Women to him but that it was re recorded without him.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 1, 2021 08:40

It is quite possible that Brian is featured to some degree on an earlier take of Honky Tonk Woman. Other than that, he only contributes autoharp to You Got the Silver and percussion to Midnight Rambler. He was present during the late ‘68 sessions for You Can’t Always Get What You Want, but didn’t contribute. Our Brian expert, His Majesty, has previously suggested that Brian could be featured on an earlier version of Gimme Shelter; or, perhaps, was present during an early session that featured the others working on it. The sad reality is that he simply ‘wasn’t there’ His appearances were sporadic, and we did attend, wasn’t much use. He had to go.

Date: March 1, 2021 09:56

JordyLicks96
Taylor1
JordyLicks96
Taylor1

Hmmm that's interesting! Would you be able to post a link to the drumless version?

There is no drumless version. He is merely playing around with a software that minimises different channels/instruments. Same version, with guitars by Richards and Taylor.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 1, 2021 11:35

I'm currently reading the book "The making of Let It Bleed" (https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B004ZKZ2LS/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=the+making+of+let+it+bleed&qid=1614590904&sr=8-1)

Brian is not mentioned providing any contribution to HTW. Mick Taylor himself said that he only devlivered his guitar parts that we all know too well.
There have been several versions before they decided on the final one. Possibly Brian did some guitar parts on some earlier version. His contribution to LIB is very little. He joined the sessions occasionally. After returning from his Morocco trip recording the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka he went to Mick J asking "What can I play?", Mick J replaying "Don't know, what can you play?"

Date: March 1, 2021 13:02

Meise
I'm currently reading the book "The making of Let It Bleed" (https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B004ZKZ2LS/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=the+making+of+let+it+bleed&qid=1614590904&sr=8-1)

Brian is not mentioned providing any contribution to HTW. Mick Taylor himself said that he only devlivered his guitar parts that we all know too well.
There have been several versions before they decided on the final one. Possibly Brian did some guitar parts on some earlier version. His contribution to LIB is very little. He joined the sessions occasionally. After returning from his Morocco trip recording the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka he went to Mick J asking "What can I play?", Mick J replaying "Don't know, what can you play?"
Brian went to Morocco in the summer of 1968,theLet It BleedSessions were not until 1969 unless you want to include the November 1968 Sessions for You Can’t Always Get What You Want

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-01 13:13 by Taylor1.

Date: March 1, 2021 13:12

JordyLicks96
Taylor1
JordyLicks96
Taylor1

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 1, 2021 14:51

Big Al
It is quite possible that Brian is featured to some degree on an earlier take of Honky Tonk Woman. Other than that, he only contributes autoharp to You Got the Silver and percussion to Midnight Rambler. He was present during the late ‘68 sessions for You Can’t Always Get What You Want, but didn’t contribute. Our Brian expert, His Majesty, has previously suggested that Brian could be featured on an earlier version of Gimme Shelter; or, perhaps, was present during an early session that featured the others working on it. The sad reality is that he simply ‘wasn’t there’ His appearances were sporadic, and we did attend, wasn’t much use. He had to go.

We have to keep in mind though that starting with Buttons Brian hardly played any guitar at all -if memory serves he only played guitar on Please Go Home and No Expectations in a 3 year period. So to have Brian play anything decent on HTW is in my mind very unlikely.

Mathijs

Date: March 1, 2021 15:00

Mathijs
Big Al

We have to keep in mind though that starting with Buttons Brian hardly played any guitar at all -if memory serves he only played guitar on Please Go Home and No Expectations in a 3 year period. So to have Brian play anything decent on HTW is in my mind very unlikely.

Mathijs

Didn't he play on JJF at all?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 1, 2021 15:56

Theoretically, he could have picked up the guitar a bit more toward the end of his life since there was a rootsy back-to-basics trend in 1968–1969 paving the way for 70s rock stuff, but I doubt it.

Date: March 2, 2021 17:29

Thank you TOPI. for answering my question with a date.

Can anyone else confirm the last date he recorded with the Stones in the studio ????

Its the date I'm after.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 2, 2021 17:56

Kingbeebuzz
Thank you TOPI. for answering my question with a date.

Can anyone else confirm the last date he recorded with the Stones in the studio ????

Its the date I'm after.

We don't have an exact date, the best we have is via Bill's Stone Alone "towards the end of May" at Olympic in 1969 and Brian intimating that he wanted to leave.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 2, 2021 18:06

Re guitar. Brian continued to play guitar at sessions in 1967, 1968 and 1969. The results seemingly were variable, or his guitar wasn't needed and/or he would move on to another instrument or he wasn't around when released takes were recorded etc etc, hence the scarcity of Brian guitar parts during these years.

He played acoustic guitar (not very well) during early takes of The Lantern, but moved on to organ and Keith took over on acoustic and this set up is what we hear on the final release. Eddie Kramer took photos of him playing electric guitar during a TSMR session also.

We have him playing guitar at Morden rehearsal, acoustic at Sympathy sessions, No Expectations and Still A Fool from 1968. He is shown playing guitar at rehearsal in Autumn 1968 at their Bermondsey rehearsal space. Obviously at R&R Circus too.

He is shown playing acoustic guitar at Redlands in spring 1969 and in photos at 2 sessions by Eric Hayes also from spring 1969, but no sign of his guitar playing on any known readily available recording from then.

My considered view is that his ability to play properly and his interest in doing so took a gradual, but serious hit during during 1967 - 1969. Guitar wise, during May 1967 - May 1969 all he offered that was seriously deemed usable was slide and while I love his playing on studio recordings of Still A Fool and No Expectations, it's obvious his touch has been affected and it's really obvious by the time of R&R Circus.

There's a sad, but undeniable gradual decline in his playing and musicianship. The bullshit of his life just took over.

Date: March 2, 2021 21:43

Thanks for the info, His Majesty.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 3, 2021 00:30

Kingbeebuzz
Thanks for the info, His Majesty.

Yeah, that was great stuff.
I was reading this thread this morning and stopped by to ask a question about Brian's guitar playing -- lo and behold, the answer was already here.

Date: March 3, 2021 15:52

Dave Mason posted this on Facebook:

The original Rolling Stones band was so incredible due in great part to Brian Jones. It was initially his band, after all. He was a visionary and creative. I hung out with him from time to time and one of our favorite things to do was go to eat Indian food.
One of the last times I saw him was during the Beggars Banquet sessions; we were sitting in a circle on the floor. Keith Richards on my right with an acoustic guitar, Charlie Watts on my left with a snare drum in a briefcase. Opposite me was Brian. We were beating on large Morrocan drums. Laying down the basic track for Street Fighting Man. It’s one of the great memories I have in my life.
Today is his birthday and I remember him fondly...

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 3, 2021 17:22

Taylor1
Meise

Brian is not mentioned providing any contribution to HTW. Mick Taylor himself said that he only delivered his guitar parts that we all know too well.
Brian went to Morocco in the summer of 1968,theLet It BleedSessions were not until 1969 unless you want to include the November 1968 Sessions for You Can’t Always Get What You Want

That's true, and I was mistaken. Brian atually spent time in Joujouka in the spring of 1969 while the others recorded at Olympic studios. He didn't do recordings in Morocco at that time.

There's another interesting read in the book. Some sound engineer tells that there haven't been any confrontations between Brian and the rest of the band due to his lacking interest in recording or playing guitar at all. He says that Brian wanted to add some exotic drums to a certain song 'cause he felt Charlie was out of tempo. He was sat in a recording corner playing those drums that finally never made it on te recording. Afterwards he lay on the floor staring at the ceiling. The band waited until he left and continued recording without saying a word about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-03 17:24 by Meise.

Date: March 3, 2021 22:34

Meise

There's another interesting read in the book. Some sound engineer tells that there haven't been any confrontations between Brian and the rest of the band due to his lacking interest in recording or playing guitar at all. He says that Brian wanted to add some exotic drums to a certain song 'cause he felt Charlie was out of tempo. He was sat in a recording corner playing those drums that finally never made it on te recording. Afterwards he lay on the floor staring at the ceiling. The band waited until he left and continued recording without saying a word about it.

Bill's Astrid wrote that they never confronted each other directly about anything.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 4, 2021 08:24

wonderboy
Meise

Bill's Astrid wrote that they never confronted each other directly about anything.

So strange. Such hot blooded music played by such emotionally stunted people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home