Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT Is listening to music on expensive headphones worth it?
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 1, 2021 17:49

Cool, I remember seeing those Sennheiser 414's when I was young. I'm going to try to get a pair. But I don't want to order from the UK, I live in Germany. Thanks for the heads up, lrix.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 1, 2021 23:33

I was going to start a thread seeing that this is a bit OT from this thread but figured this would probably be a better place and it wouldn't be one more thread out there:

Anyone have or know of a (portable) boombox/ghetto blaster/etc with a CD player that is LOUD and sounds good? Of course, listening to CDs with headphones would be great as well.

My portable CD player died on me. Looking for something that can get very loud! I'm not concerned about having Bluetooth so much but I suppose a lot of new ones will have that. Does anyone know if any have a headphone in to be able to plug in a phone etc or USB connection? That wouldn't hurt to have but the purpose is mainly for CDs.

I've been searching online but thought I might see if anyone would know of something that is LOUD instead of whatever Amazon etc says.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 2, 2021 00:40

GasLightStreet

Anyone have or know of a (portable) boombox/ghetto blaster/etc with a CD player that is LOUD and sounds good?

Maybe such a CD-Box can get loud ?

[www.Sony.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 20:50 by Irix.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 2, 2021 00:43

Re: OT Is listening to music on expensive headphones worth it? new
Date: March 1, 2021 14:45

ProfessorWolf

whats a decent but affordable pair of vintage headphones (60's -70's)

You could try the Sennheiser HD 414 (built 1968-1983, more than 10 millions sold worldwide) - fresh sounding, full dynamics, excellent details, no booming bass. Earpads & spare cables are still available - [en-uk.Sennheiser.com] . A retro test-report can be found in the German HiFi-Magazine [www.Stereo.de] 4/2020. Prices for used models start from €50

thank you that sounds good no pun intended

Date: March 2, 2021 00:59

Irix
GasLightStreet

I've been searching online but thought I might see if anyone would know of something that is LOUD instead of whatever Amazon etc says.

[www.Sony.com]

That's a bit odd, innit!

Date: March 2, 2021 04:58

Date: March 2, 2021 00:43

Re: OT Is listening to music on expensive headphones worth it? new
Date: March 1, 2021 14:45

ProfessorWolf

whats a decent but affordable pair of vintage headphones (60's -70's)

You could try the Sennheiser HD 414 (built 1968-1983, more than 10 millions sold worldwide) - fresh sounding, full dynamics, excellent details, no booming bass. Earpads & spare cables are still available - [en-uk.Sennheiser.com] . A retro test-report can be found in the German HiFi-Magazine [www.Stereo.de] 4/2020. Prices for used models start from €50

thank you that sounds good no pun intended

sorry to be a pest but i wasn't specific enough i'm meant a good pair of vintage headphones for listening on my phone/laptop the hd414 look great but i think the impedience is wrong for that

Date: March 2, 2021 14:05

ProfessorWolf

i'm meant a good pair of vintage headphones for listening on my phone/laptop the hd414 look great but i think the impedance is wrong for that

Could be difficult to find 1960/70s headphones with low impedance which work with modern Smartphones/Tablets/Notebooks since the headphones of the 1960/70s had mostly high impedance (probably due to the amplifier's headphone-outputs).

Here're some old Sony Catalogues from the 1970s which contain also headphones with their specs - [www.Audioidiots.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 14:50 by Irix.

Date: March 2, 2021 14:25

GasLightStreet

That's a bit odd, innit!

Why? It's a CD-Player with a large (literally loud) speaker. The depicted CD-Box above is height/width 23"x13" or 60cm x 33cm, so no tiny desktop-speaker next to the computer screen.

Application of such devices (also available from other manufacturers):

[www.Sony.com]

Or do you wanna rather have a Boombox/Ghettoblaster with a handle? - e.g. [www.Sony.com] .

Date: March 2, 2021 18:35

Keith uses Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones - [www.Amazon.com] :

[Twitter.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 2, 2021 18:43

I use a Beats By Dre Beatbox as my speaker system. I have the original model, which is more powerful than later, smaller ones. They’ve been discontinued. The bass and treble are terrific, but the mid-range is lacking. Audiophiles scoff, but I rather like it. It’s solid and it means I’m getting decent usage out of my two, ancient iPod Classics.

Date: March 3, 2021 03:08

Irix
GasLightStreet

That's a bit odd, innit!

Why? It's a CD-Player with a large (literally loud) speaker. The depicted CD-Box above is height/width 23"x13" or 60cm x 33cm, so no tiny desktop-speaker next to the computer screen.

It looks odd because it's there's no separation. It's different.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 3, 2021 08:18

TheflyingDutchman
I'm using electrostatic headphones when listening to classical/ acoustic music.
If you like to listen to rock music/ distorted guitars you're better of with some cheap Bose or whatever brand. Hi-end headphones and rock music is a bad marriage.

What model of electrostatic headphones/amplifier do you use? I listen to a lot of acoustic music so I think going to an ES headphone system for this type of music would be ideal.

Date: March 3, 2021 08:36

GasLightStreet
Irix
GasLightStreet

That's a bit odd, innit!

I know of people who listen to music through their single-speaker Alexa device. They seem content, but I cannot help but wonder how this affects the soundscape. Yes, the bass and treble frequencies may be fantastic, but what about the separation? If you’re sat far enough from the device, does it even matter?

Date: March 4, 2021 04:10

Big Al
GasLightStreet
Irix
GasLightStreet

That's a bit odd, innit!

I know of people who listen to music through their single-speaker Alexa device. They seem content, but I cannot help but wonder how this affects the soundscape. Yes, the bass and treble frequencies may be fantastic, but what about the separation? If you’re sat far enough from the device, does it even matter?

I've found Alexa to definitely sound different when I've gotten close enough to listen to it. Hell, Beast Of Burden came on once and it sounded like someone had put a giant plastic egg over the speaker because the phase was... phased up wrong. Some other tunes with various separation and effects have silent gaps in them because it's the wrong kind of mono! I've noticed some guitar lines completely disappear. It's not for listening to music, it's just for listening to music ie to have music playing and you can hear it. My observations have been that it's just background and, of course, convenient. And - the people I know that listen to music via Alexa are not concerned about separation or sound quality, they just want to be able to hear it. "I love that song!" is the common reaction - and that's all they want is to be able to hear it, not listen to it.

It's become the main way they listen to music!!! "I've got the book!", you know, great cover, no pages. Then there are the Blutooth speakers... it's just to be able to hear it, it's not to pay attention. 'Hey, listen to this song' and then it's a conversation during the song. If I didn't know the people I'd be downright disgusted with "That's how you listen to music?" but they simply don't care about the quality of the audio. Hell, one of them can't even say 'album' correctly, it's always 'alblum'. I've never figured that one out.

The reduction of life through phones and Blutooth dinky speakers/Alexa/I don't know what else, Nest? etc has seemingly levelled out to PSSST - This Really Sucks But You Don't Care. One person is my ex-girlfriend. She told me to throw away ALL of her CDs! "I'll just listen on YouTube or Alexa."

Meanwhile, I want volume to be able to feel what I'm listening to... and sometimes listen with decent/good headphones. I'll never have an Alexa. I'm just not into sampling background noise.

Date: March 4, 2021 11:00

GasLightStreet

The reduction of life through phones and Blutooth dinky speakers/Alexa/I don't know what else, Nest?

Smart speakers like Amazon Echo Dot, Google Nest (former Google Home) or Bluetooth speakers are now the new Kitchen radios or Transistor radios. winking smiley

Plays music in background ....

Date: March 4, 2021 11:15

GasLightStreet
Big Al
GasLightStreet
Irix
GasLightStreet

That's a bit odd, innit!

I've found Alexa to definitely sound different when I've gotten close enough to listen to it. Hell, Beast Of Burden came on once and it sounded like someone had put a giant plastic egg over the speaker because the phase was... phased up wrong. Some other tunes with various separation and effects have silent gaps in them because it's the wrong kind of mono! I've noticed some guitar lines completely disappear. It's not for listening to music, it's just for listening to music ie to have music playing and you can hear it. My observations have been that it's just background and, of course, convenient. And - the people I know that listen to music via Alexa are not concerned about separation or sound quality, they just want to be able to hear it. "I love that song!" is the common reaction - and that's all they want is to be able to hear it, not listen to it.

It's become the main way they listen to music!!! "I've got the book!", you know, great cover, no pages. Then there are the Blutooth speakers... it's just to be able to hear it, it's not to pay attention. 'Hey, listen to this song' and then it's a conversation during the song. If I didn't know the people I'd be downright disgusted with "That's how you listen to music?" but they simply don't care about the quality of the audio. Hell, one of them can't even say 'album' correctly, it's always 'alblum'. I've never figured that one out.

The reduction of life through phones and Blutooth dinky speakers/Alexa/I don't know what else, Nest? etc has seemingly levelled out to PSSST - This Really Sucks But You Don't Care. One person is my ex-girlfriend. She told me to throw away ALL of her CDs! "I'll just listen on YouTube or Alexa."

Meanwhile, I want volume to be able to feel what I'm listening to... and sometimes listen with decent/good headphones. I'll never have an Alexa. I'm just not into sampling background noise.

Great post! thumbs up

I do have an Alexa. It's built into my mobile Wi-Fi hub. 18 months later, and have I ever utilised it's supposed usefulness? Nope, not once.

My noisy - but nice - neighbour upstairs, blasts his music loudly too often. Occasionally, you'll hear an advert between the songs. This isn't something I understand: someone who consumes their music entirely through youtube. I understand not purchasing the physical format, but to not even download albums from iTunes? I don't understand Spotify either.

Date: March 4, 2021 11:55

Big Al
GasLightStreet
Big Al
GasLightStreet
Irix
GasLightStreet

That's a bit odd, innit!

Great post! thumbs up

I do have an Alexa. It's built into my mobile Wi-Fi hub. 18 months later, and have I ever utilised it's supposed usefulness? Nope, not once.

My noisy - but nice - neighbour upstairs, blasts his music loudly too often. Occasionally, you'll hear an advert between the songs. This isn't something I understand: someone who consumes their music entirely through youtube. I understand not purchasing the physical format, but to not even download albums from iTunes? I don't understand Spotify either.

* I think the neighbour is playing the music through his television, too. He just has some speaker set-up: all bass, seemingly no treble. And his taste in music is, largely, terrible.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: March 4, 2021 13:11

Irix
Keith uses Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones - [www.Amazon.com] :

[Twitter.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

I use Audio-Technica ATH-M30X, they are not too expensive, and the quality of sound is very good

Date: March 5, 2021 05:03

Big Al
Big Al
GasLightStreet
Big Al
GasLightStreet
Irix
GasLightStreet

That's a bit odd, innit!

Great post! thumbs up

* I think the neighbour is playing the music through his television, too. He just has some speaker set-up: all bass, seemingly no treble. And his taste in music is, largely, terrible.

Most music heard through a wall or floor will be mostly low end.

Date: March 5, 2021 05:10

Irix
GasLightStreet

Anyone have or know of a (portable) boombox/ghetto blaster/etc with a CD player that is LOUD and sounds good?

[www.Sony.com]

I got one. It's cool. Has some different sound features. I turned the speaker light off. It gets loud - way more loud than anything I've head in years. About 10 years ago I got the biggest computer speaker system, has a woofer, and it's been great, actually. I've been quite surprised by it. And its volume was suitable - and still is - but I needed louder. I'm leery of getting a nice high end stereo with really nice speakers (I had PhaseTechs eons ago that were excellent and I almost got a set of Klipsch) due to the house I live in, which is almost like fish gills, and where I live (if my house didn't breathe so much during hurricanes I might be inclined to get a decent set up).

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home