Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Is listening to music on expensive headphones worth it?
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 26, 2021 21:11

How do The Stones sound on an expensive pair of headphones? More specifically, I was thinking of getting the Sony XM4, which seems to be the best wireless headphones currently, according to reviews. Anyone here own them? How do The Stones, and music in general, sound on Spotify compared to cheaper headphones? Is it a completely new experience with the improved sound quality?
Edit: thanks for the responses!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-27 15:14 by Boognish.

Re: OT Is listening to music on expensive headphones worth it?
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 26, 2021 21:22

I’ve got a pair of Bose QC35 and they are fantastic.

Nate

Date: February 26, 2021 21:26

I'm using electrostatic headphones when listening to classical/ acoustic music.
If you like to listen to rock music/ distorted guitars you're better of with some cheap Bose or whatever brand. Hi-end headphones and rock music is a bad marriage.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 26, 2021 21:41

If you can tell the difference, it's worth it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 26, 2021 22:30

IMO, no because they still end up breaking and/or not working.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-26 22:30 by ryanpow.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 26, 2021 23:28

I was always way too paranoid to enjoy the isolation of headphones. I always think the room is on fire or the cops are at the door or something.

jb

Date: February 26, 2021 23:31

Green Lady

To put it simple: ES speakers don't colour,they are very clean. If you want to play distorted rockmusic you're better off with dynamic speakers because they colour, just like a guitar speaker, and that's what you want to hear. If you put your distorted guitar through hi-end speakers,distortion sounds awful. Give it a try and judge it yourself. The same goes for hi-end amps and guitar amps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-26 23:46 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 27, 2021 01:07

I have a pair of Grado Labs SR60. They do the trick. There's only so much to pull out of Stones music. You have to have an impeccable source. I have Exile on Blu Ray CD. That surpasses any Stones recording I have.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 27, 2021 01:09

Sony MDR 7506. They can be used for any listening and don't cost a small fortune.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 27, 2021 01:27

It’s absolutely worth it. I currently listen through a pair of Beats Studio 3. I used to own a pair of Beats Pro. To this day, they’re the best-sounding pair I’ve owned. I know the brand gets flack - overpriced, too bass-heavy, etc - but, I’ve always been a sucker for them. For what it’s worth, since being acquired by Apple, I find their soundscape to be more balanced. The overall sound is more balanced these days, I’d say. Yes, there’s headphones out there that are better for the audiophiles, but if you want a stylish-looking pair with pretty excellent sound, Beats may be for you. I know they’ve always been my choice.

Date: February 27, 2021 02:21

I have the same pair of Bose and agree. Fantastic.

Nate

Nate

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 27, 2021 02:49

georgemcdonnell314
I have the same pair of Bose and agree. Fantastic.

Nate

Nate

I have the Bose QC35, they're excellent.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 27, 2021 14:57

Medium range, medium prize are fine with me. Durability is the key for me. Often it's the cord which gives up. Causing sound gaps. Therefore - clothed cords.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 27, 2021 15:10

Stones and headphones play well together...smileys with beer

Date: February 27, 2021 15:33

Stoneage
Medium range, medium prize are fine with me. Durability is the key for me. Often it's the cord which gives up. Causing sound gaps. Therefore - clothed cords.

Why not get a wireless pair? Many of them have a lead-option, too. It's handy for me, as I still use an iPod Classic.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: February 27, 2021 15:45

It is worth it if you have the right setup. I bought a WH-1000xm3 to be able to use the LDAC codec from Sony with a FLAC portable player. LDAC is clearly better than any other Bluetooth codec on the market (I tried). The Stones sound great in my headphones!

(also : on the XM3 and XM4, you can always switch to cable if you don't want to use Bluetooth).

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 27, 2021 16:01

Big Al
Stoneage

Why not get a wireless pair? Many of them have a lead-option, too. It's handy for me, as I still use an iPod Classic.

Regretfully, I'm frightfully conservative when it comes to new technology. I seem to lean on old familiar ways - to quote Mr Simon. Or maybe I'm just lazy?

Date: February 27, 2021 16:05

Stoneage

Regretfully, I'm frightfully conservative when it comes to new technology. I seem to lean on old familiar ways - to quote Mr Simon. Or maybe I'm just lazy?

Likewise, truthfully. I'd put off going wireless for a while. If it were not for the lead-option with mine, I wouldn't of gotten a pair. Saying that, however: they are genuinely worth it. I now realise what a royal pain leads can be.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 27, 2021 17:58

TheflyingDutchman
Green Lady

To put it simple: ES speakers don't colour,they are very clean. If you want to play distorted rockmusic you're better off with dynamic speakers because they colour, just like a guitar speaker, and that's what you want to hear. If you put your distorted guitar through hi-end speakers,distortion sounds awful. Give it a try and judge it yourself. The same goes for hi-end amps and guitar amps.

Fair enough, my Linn / Naim system is not exactly “high end”, but quite above the average yes, never had any prob with distorted guitars!

C

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 27, 2021 19:44

I have a collection of headphones/ I have Bose QC for walking around, listening to music on my mobile. However, if I'm walking the dog, or going for a run, then I don't listen to anything, as I like to be fully focussed.

At home, I have GS1OOOE's which I plug into a Bluesound Vault, or Marantz CD6007 Player. Depending on whether I want to listen to streamed, or actual CDs. The speakers I have are KEF LSXs, which are very good.

I also have a set of Master & Dynamic MW65s: again I use these mostly at home: I also have 2 Bowers & Wilkins, namely PX7 and PX9s: these are also used at home. Finally, I have a set of Focal Elegias, again used at home. The two favourites are the Focal and Grado. In a nutshell, you could say I'm a headphone geek, and I love cranking up the Stones, AC/DC, or Neil Young's Weld, and playing them through a good set.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 27, 2021 21:20

i'm afraid i have little experince with higher end headphones and only used really cheap ones for a long time then bought a pair of cheap ($35) edifier H840 wired headphones and it made a big difference the stones sound much better through my headphones then my crappy speakers

Posted by: woody ()
Date: February 27, 2021 21:26

Wow that is an impressive range of head gear,
I too have the GradoGS100e ,some audiotechnia 100,two pair of MW07 and a pair of the Sennheisser pink floys’s.
I am thinking of getting some GR10.
It is nice to come across another headphone freak !

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 27, 2021 21:32

whats a decent but affordable pair of vintage headphones (60's -70's)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2021 19:53

I have some $120 or so, I can't really remember, recording studio headphones (at least that's what they were promoted as). The beauty of listening to music on headphones is to listen, not to play them loud. Certain Stones albums are amazing on headphones - mostly from BEGGARS through IORR, as well as ER, TY and U.

Pink Floyd, of course. But a lot of other music when listening for something in particular is fantastic on headphones.

What's expensive?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 1, 2021 00:36

My opinion is if you're playing remastered brick walled recordings it won't matter that you're using cheap headphones. Yesterday I played the complete Neil Young new live CD at high volume with my Sennheiser HD650 cans with no problem. Later I played 3 songs from the new Alice Cooper CD and my ears hurt. That's all because of mastering. Too bad because I think the new Alice record is very good if not excellent. This is also a problem for most new recordings. Unfortunately including Stones and nearly all my favorites. Ironically I believe we have to wait 10 years until they go backwards and make records as they used to. Or maybe it won't happen at all.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 1, 2021 01:06

[proheadphones.net]

I have a pair of focal utopias. Fantastic, but might be overkill for some.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-01 01:12 by MingSubu.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 1, 2021 03:11

frankotero
My opinion is if you're playing remastered brick walled recordings it won't matter that you're using cheap headphones. Yesterday I played the complete Neil Young new live CD at high volume with my Sennheiser HD650 cans with no problem. Later I played 3 songs from the new Alice Cooper CD and my ears hurt. That's all because of mastering. Too bad because I think the new Alice record is very good if not excellent. This is also a problem for most new recordings. Unfortunately including Stones and nearly all my favorites. Ironically I believe we have to wait 10 years until they go backwards and make records as they used to. Or maybe it won't happen at all.

I have the Virgins stored. The only UMe releases I have are the EOMS extra, SOME GIRLS and BLUE AND LONESOME. I've not listened to any of those three on headphones. I'm guessing when I get around to it to make sure the volume is down more so thanks to the Marcussen slaughtering.

Date: March 1, 2021 11:50

frankotero
My opinion is if you're playing remastered brick walled recordings it won't matter that you're using cheap headphones.

Exactly. I listen to the Stones in my car cranking up the volume. The speakers and amp are quite low-end. It's also a matter of taste i.e. the mood you are in.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 1, 2021 13:30

I say no . This is not scientific but when I am listening to music thru the big speakers I can feel it all around me .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 1, 2021 14:45

ProfessorWolf

whats a decent but affordable pair of vintage headphones (60's -70's)

You could try the Sennheiser HD 414 (built 1968-1983, more than 10 millions sold worldwide) - fresh sounding, full dynamics, excellent details, no booming bass. Earpads & spare cables are still available - [en-uk.Sennheiser.com] . A retro test-report can be found in the German HiFi-Magazine [www.Stereo.de] 4/2020. Prices for used models start from €50.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home