Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: How will the Stones be remembered/forgot?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2021 17:06

It's going to be quite a while until the Stones are forgotten.

Baseball cards etc... things that people can hold in their hand. There are still a lot of people with Stones albums, regardless of the format. Not that every Stones fan has kept every album they ever bought but people have bought physical copies of every Stones album.

The digital demise will take a while. The Stones are not going anywhere but being forgotten as a whole etc could be pretty much complete in another 20 or 30 years with the dying of a couple of generations, like me, 50 years old right now, and with what we will be consumed with time wise in regards to the changes in the world that are about to get a lot worse this decade.

When the Gulf Stream shuts down and Europe turns into a glacier, why would anyone there care about the Stones!?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 28, 2021 17:19

GasLightStreet
One thing for sure... they will be remembered for what is arguably the greatest if not the most recognizable and one of the all time Top Ten logos in history.

Can't disagree with your observation! Arguably one of the most recognizable logos indeed!thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-28 17:20 by Sighunt.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 28, 2021 17:35

Sighunt
GasLightStreet
One thing for sure... they will be remembered for what is arguably the greatest if not the most recognizable and one of the all time Top Ten logos in history.

Can't disagree with your observation! Arguably one of the most recognizable logos indeed!thumbs up

smileys with beer
Agree.
As is often the case in threads like this, many immediately compare the band to The Beatles in terms of legacy. Stones win this category by a moonlight mile.
As one who likes to get an occasional tattoo to represent bands/musicians that I like, I have wanted to get a Beatles one for a while, still not even sure what their official logo is..
The apple looks too much like I'm repping my computer.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 28, 2021 17:47

Young people might associate it with Miley Cyrus

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2021 20:04

Sighunt
GasLightStreet

The logo will long outlive any memory of the band itself. Even now, many young people wear it as a fashions statement,
yet most probably have no idea it's related to the Stones, or the fact there is even a band that calls themsleves the Rolling Stones.
In the distant future, the tongue logo will still exist simply as an obscure relic, but any meaning behind it will be a long lost mystery.

Date: February 28, 2021 20:46

The Beatles will always be remembered first by history, because they were first in so many ways.

I bet over the decades to come they will follow more in Elvis' footsteps though, meaning much of their luster will fade (away). More pop than rock being the main reason for the rationale,
but also the tarnish of the individual members, etc., again, much like Elvis.

The Rolling Stones on the other hand, have always embraced and cultivated their tarnished image(s) from day one. They'll hold their image better and that along with their astonishing 60+ years of being a band, all the live concerts, etc

The Beatles may take the Greatest Pop Band (which they can have) title, but the Stones will forever be remembered as they are known now.. undoubtably holding this title as long as the question is asked. .
The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 28, 2021 22:42

Natlanta
the how forgot part is a toughie.

I forgot to remember to forget.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 1, 2021 00:09

MisterDDDD
The Beatles will always be remembered first by history, because they were first in so many ways.

I bet over the decades to come they will follow more in Elvis' footsteps though, meaning much of their luster will fade (away). More pop than rock being the main reason for the rationale,
but also the tarnish of the individual members, etc., again, much like Elvis.

The Rolling Stones on the other hand, have always embraced and cultivated their tarnished image(s) from day one. They'll hold their image better and that along with their astonishing 60+ years of being a band, all the live concerts, etc

The Beatles may take the Greatest Pop Band (which they can have) title, but the Stones will forever be remembered as they are known now.. undoubtably holding this title as long as the question is asked. .
The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band

I think one will find both pop and rock in the music of the Beatles and of the Rolling Stones. Probably a different percentage of each in the two of them. Instead, my own suggestion of the difference between the Stones and the Beatles is that there is more or less a blues foundation in the music of the Stones and more or less a lack of it in the music of the Beatles.

Date: March 1, 2021 00:15

I think the Stones and the Beatles will be thrown in the same basket of 60s music. Their music after the 60s wasn't that relevant and will be forgotton more easily, it's the 60s counterculture image that's in the school textbooks. Anybody interested in that era will find them along with Woodstock music, drugs, long hair, hippies, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Vietnam, Kennedy's, MLK, etc.

Date: March 1, 2021 00:32

Witness
I think one will find both pop and rock in the music of the Beatles and of the Rolling Stones. Probably a different percentage of each in the two of them. Instead, my own suggestion of the difference between the Stones and the Beatles is that there is more or less a blues foundation in the music of the Stones and more or less a lack of it in the music of the Beatles.

Fair opinion..
Not knocking the lads, but they were much, much, much, more "pop" than rock.The original "boy band" eye rolling smiley
Stones... much, much, much, more rock.

We don't even have to wait for the future for that legacy to already be accurate.
Just asked Siri who was considered the worlds greatest rock & roll band.. the Stones was the reply.
Asked who was the greatest pop band of all time, and The Beatles was the reply.
Google concurred (one and the same(?) cool smiley

Point is.. especially when it comes to The Beatles, historians have already written that chapter now some 50 years after their demise.
They're waiting to finish the Stones chapter, but the title of "The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band" has been cast in.. umm.. stone winking smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 1, 2021 02:05

Even before the Beatles grew into a "progressive pop band", they were always a musically explorative band as much of the very first pop and rock band, even if the USA had the Beach Boys, and while there existed the Shadows. To the extent that there was a boy band dimension about the Beatles, that dimension was more indirect, and the music was still at the core of it. If you lived as youngster then, you always were drawn into listening to their latest single, played on the radio. Somehow, there even was some boy band aspects about some of the interest that one or two of the Stones held with females, although this with a "bad boy" attraction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-01 02:06 by Witness.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 1, 2021 02:50

The differences between the Stones and the Beatles, as individuals, was very slight. All of them have pretty much confirmed that over the years. It was mostly their publicity machines, and the fact the Beatles tended to be very sheltered and catered to by their record company who fed the media with good notices, while the Stones were out there in the news individually and personally, and usually in a not so good way. But individually they were all from more or less the same roots and were working for the same end, so they were not nearly as different as one might be led to believe by reading their publicity. I was personally kind of shocked when the Beatles started acting more like the Rolling Stones there around 67 or so, getting into trouble and appearing in public less than fully dressed out and with shaggy beards.

jb

Date: March 1, 2021 03:33

In a way Mick Jagger has reached immortality. His voice will always sound somewhere on earth as long as humanity exists, yelling something about getting no satisfaction or starting it up. We will be forgotten when our children die, Commander shall live on for centuries.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 1, 2021 09:22

NilsHolgersson
I think the Stones and the Beatles will be thrown in the same basket of 60s music. Their music after the 60s wasn't that relevant and will be forgotton more easily, it's the 60s counterculture image that's in the school textbooks. Anybody interested in that era will find them along with Woodstock music, drugs, long hair, hippies, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Vietnam, Kennedy's, MLK, etc.

Not quite sure where you're going on this. John Lennon's first solo album will grow and grow in stature. The Stones were certainly relevant in 1978, with Miss You. All of the artists you mentioned will be studied and revered. Mostly because they weren't replaced by greater artists. They are the pinnacle. Big Band Music was the pop music of its day. Everyone thought it would be disposable and forgotten. Now someone like Artie Shaw, or Ellington, are seen as geniuses.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2021 08:57

MisterDDDD
Witness

Fair opinion..
Not knocking the lads, but they were much, much, much, more "pop" than rock.The original "boy band" eye rolling smiley
Stones... much, much, much, more rock.

We don't even have to wait for the future for that legacy to already be accurate.
Just asked Siri who was considered the worlds greatest rock & roll band.. the Stones was the reply.
Asked who was the greatest pop band of all time, and The Beatles was the reply.
Google concurred (one and the same(?) cool smiley

Point is.. especially when it comes to The Beatles, historians have already written that chapter now some 50 years after their demise.
They're waiting to finish the Stones chapter, but the title of "The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band" has been cast in.. umm.. stone winking smiley

Alexa concurs with your Rock Band/Pop Band queries.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2021 09:01

24FPS
NilsHolgersson

Not quite sure where you're going on this. John Lennon's first solo album will grow and grow in stature. The Stones were certainly relevant in 1978, with Miss You. All of the artists you mentioned will be studied and revered. Mostly because they weren't replaced by greater artists. They are the pinnacle. Big Band Music was the pop music of its day. Everyone thought it would be disposable and forgotten. Now someone like Artie Shaw, or Ellington, are seen as geniuses.

That's an excellent observation...as was the one that compared these groups as the Bach, Beetoven and Mozart of their era.

The 60s produced some superstars that for whatever reason were bigger than most of whatever followed.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: March 2, 2021 12:35

I believe they will be remembered as having the most long debating fanbase who 50 years after the last shows still will be debating setlists and warhorses theory.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 2, 2021 12:43

History can be an odd beast, many twists and turns, it could end up folk think Stu was the driving force, main man and writer. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 14:54

I have a feeling that long-term history (100+ years) is not going to be that kind to many/most of the white Rock n' Rollers and Bluesy folks...

I'd bet they will be chastised for being "cultural appropriators" when all is said and done...the definition and/or acceptability of this trend will change and likely not in the Stones' favor (IMO)...

I mean...we're tearing down statues of people who were once considered heroes 100+ years ago...

what we consider "racist" or "theft" or "cultural appropriation" or "acceptable" or "plagiarism" (or not) today is not guaranteed to be the same in 100+ years.

In fact, I guarantee it will be different....

Stones will always be part of the mix when it comes to the discussion of "rock" etc, but I have a feeling history won't be as kind to them and their counterparts as we might want to think....especially Zepellin.

....especially if "rock" continues its slide into the fringes as this will make it easier to criticize the "theft" (borrowing?) that went on....

Date: March 2, 2021 15:04

Let's hope identity politics will die a quick death.. the stupid idea that every culture should stay in a vacuum and don't influence each other and borrow things from each other.. white guys can't play the blues? A black man can't wear a business suit? confused smiley

Posted by: gavin95 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 15:30

NilsHolgersson
Let's hope identity politics will die a quick death.. the stupid idea that every culture should stay in a vacuum and don't influence each other and borrow things from each other.. white guys can't play the blues? A black man can't wear a business suit? confused smiley

I agree, identity-based way thinking will not be able to go on much longer - it divides people and contributes nothing to society.

On another point, I have to say sometimes it's weird coming on here as a young Stones fan - because this section of the board is so "doom and gloom" - I read posts saying how no one will care in the future etc., yet so many of my friends and I are so obsessed with this band and playing guitar. That's why I usually stay if the buy/sell/trade section!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 2, 2021 15:48

You never know how history will regard today's music. "Imagine" is more popular than any Beatles song, and the most popular Beatles song is "Here Comes the Sun". Who woulda thunk it?

Fortunately for the Stones, they were the greatest live act of the rock era, and they kept touring and so there are miles and miles of footage of them just blazing in front of incredible crowds like the 2 million at Copacabana. I predict that will be their legacy, and school children will go on excursions to the Smithsonian in Washington DC, where they can listen to Brussels, and watch Ladies & Gentlemen the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 2, 2021 16:06

NilsHolgersson

Without intending to get political: here, here! I loathe the division that I fear is slowly creeping in. I cringe whenever I hear or read the term woke and, shudder, 'unconscious bias'

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 17:43

NilsHolgersson

"Identity Politics?"

it has nothing to do with cultures "staying in a vaccum" or what music you are "allowed" to play...obviously people can play what they want, but if the system rewards a specific race for playing a type of music while systematically excluding another, that's a problem...

....especially if the former is "stealing" or "borrowing from" or "influenced by" the latter....

and, simply put, the future might not look as favorably or indifferently upon that practice as the current generation...

it all has to do w/ what will be considered "theft" "borrowing" or "plagiarism" in the future...

the reality is, cultural-appropriation DID happen...(Elvis never wrote a single song...and he's The King?)

it is a fact that blacks were legally and systematically excluded from the same opportunities as whites in the Music World (and beyond).

[globalnews.ca]

that's not "identity politics"...that's fact...how the future choses to evaluate those facts will be up to them.

the one thing the Stones do have going for them is that they tried to elevate the musicians and music that they "borrowed" from (or were "influenced by"....whatever term you like)....

Led Zep, Elvis and others on the other hand, will be looked at as thieves...rightfully so, IMO.

"a black man can't wear a business suit" - oof...yikes. Not the best way to try to make your point...IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 17:48 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 2, 2021 21:26

stickyfingers101
NilsHolgersson

"Identity Politics?"

it has nothing to do with cultures "staying in a vaccum" or what music you are "allowed" to play...obviously people can play what they want, but if the system rewards a specific race for playing a type of music while systematically excluding another, that's a problem...

....especially if the former is "stealing" or "borrowing from" or "influenced by" the latter....

and, simply put, the future might not look as favorably or indifferently upon that practice as the current generation...

it all has to do w/ what will be considered "theft" "borrowing" or "plagiarism" in the future...

the reality is, cultural-appropriation DID happen...(Elvis never wrote a single song...and he's The King?)

it is a fact that blacks were legally and systematically excluded from the same opportunities as whites in the Music World (and beyond).

[globalnews.ca]

that's not "identity politics"...that's fact...how the future choses to evaluate those facts will be up to them.

the one thing the Stones do have going for them is that they tried to elevate the musicians and music that they "borrowed" from (or were "influenced by"....whatever term you like)....

Led Zep, Elvis and others on the other hand, will be looked at as thieves...rightfully so, IMO.

"a black man can't wear a business suit" - oof...yikes. Not the best way to try to make your point...IMO.

Was Ray Charles a thief for playing country and western music? Redbone for playing rock and roll? Wilson Pickett for recording Hey Jude? Does Culture Appropriation only flow one way?

Date: March 2, 2021 22:06

Even wearing certain hairstyles nowadays is considered cultural appropriation.. we do live in the silliest of times

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 22:10

GasLightStreet
It's going to be quite a while until the Stones are forgotten.

Baseball cards etc... things that people can hold in their hand. There are still a lot of people with Stones albums, regardless of the format. Not that every Stones fan has kept every album they ever bought but people have bought physical copies of every Stones album.

The digital demise will take a while. The Stones are not going anywhere but being forgotten as a whole etc could be pretty much complete in another 20 or 30 years with the dying of a couple of generations, like me, 50 years old right now, and with what we will be consumed with time wise in regards to the changes in the world that are about to get a lot worse this decade.

When the Gulf Stream shuts down and Europe turns into a glacier, why would anyone there care about the Stones!?

By that time corona will be deep frozen and we will come and join you in the States to ... listen to ... Rolling Stones music cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2021 22:17

.....um what was the question again ?????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 2, 2021 22:53

Hah, RM...

gavin95
NilsHolgersson

I agree, identity-based way thinking will not be able to go on much longer - it divides people and contributes nothing to society.

On another point, I have to say sometimes it's weird coming on here as a young Stones fan - because this section of the board is so "doom and gloom" - I read posts saying how no one will care in the future etc., yet so many of my friends and I are so obsessed with this band and playing guitar. That's why I usually stay if the buy/sell/trade section!

gavin 5, take heart, the negatives often drown out the positives on many topics, but that's because complaining, er, critiquing is so common everywhere, while the more optimistic people just sit things out, on the whole. Glad you are here with us old fogies, and nce to hear about your friends, Have you been to any RS shows? cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: gavin95 ()
Date: March 3, 2021 00:16

angee
Hah, RM...

gavin95
NilsHolgersson

gavin 5, take heart, the negatives often drown out the positives on many topics, but that's because complaining, er, critiquing is so common everywhere, while the more optimistic people just sit things out, on the whole. Glad you are here with us old fogies, and nce to hear about your friends, Have you been to any RS shows? cool smiley

Good point angee, I'm on the optimistic side too. Yes, my live Stones experience was Foxborough 2019 - an unforgettable night (and a nice bootleg to go with it)

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home