Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: VHS tapes are worth money
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 23, 2021 08:55

Oh, yeah. I've got the Urban Jungle concert they ran on U.S. TV. Not official, just a recording on a blank tape.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 23, 2021 11:20

Interesting story although I can't say it speaks much to me. Having said that I have fond memories of my dad taping extracts of the 1981 tour that got played on satellite TV at the engineering school where he taught. That would have been on Betamax...actually make that UMatic, let's see yes there was indeed such a thing [en.wikipedia.org] - went to his office and played that on repeat ! Oh and they were the first with an internet connection too with stuff like "Virtual Tourist" (?) back in 1994, showed up with all these URLs for Stones stuff, like UC ;-)

Anyone else remember when NICAM was a big thing to record broadcasts in...stereo ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 23, 2021 11:39

In the midst of the battle for supremacy between Sony's Beta side and JVC's VHS side, both sides had agreed on a unified standard for home computers.
Upon this reflection, they might have challenged to open the door to the internet world by creating a unified global standard at that time around.
That standard was called MSX.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 23, 2021 11:46

Yeah I remember these "MSX computers" from the mid-80s, they never really took off though in the US or Europe, where Commodore, Spectrum and Atari were calling the shots for home computers.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 23, 2021 16:56

GasLightStreet
Silver Dagger
Still have my Voodoo Lounge 94/95 official tour film on VHS. I wonder what that is worth now?

From New Jersey? I've always wondered why that wasn't reissued. Never seen it. Is any of it on YouTube?

A handful of the New Jersey tracks are included as bonuses on the VL Uncut release.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 23, 2021 17:06

loog droog
That's an interesting read.

I don't think the impact of the VCR can be overstated. Try to imagine a world where everything on TV just went by, like a river current.

If you weren't home to watch it when it was broadcast, you missed it. Oh, there might be a summer rerun of a series program a few months later, but basically that was it. TV meant being there, awake, and sitting through ALL the commercials...

If something really funny happened on Johnny Carson, you might hear about it from the insomniac by the water cooler at work the next day, and take his word for it that you really missed something.

Being able to record a show and watch it later was like a miracle. Actually owning a copy of a movie and being able to see it whenever you wanted again and again was an impossible notion.

I used to drive to the other side of LA just to be able to see a rare screening of some short Stones films--stuff that I can now pull up with a couple of clicks and watch at my kitchen table. (And I was lucky to live in an area where that was even possible)

I'm not saying this as a "I used to walk 10 miles to school in the snow" story. I just want to point out what an amazing world we live in now--one that I don't take for granted.

You're exactly right, loog

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 23, 2021 17:24

I have VHS tapes that I've been trying to sell. Will try ebay as well. I have them on LetGo/OfferUp.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 24, 2021 01:34

I still have this VHS and VCR but no glasses.smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 24, 2021 02:46

Father Ted
GasLightStreet
Silver Dagger
Still have my Voodoo Lounge 94/95 official tour film on VHS. I wonder what that is worth now?

From New Jersey? I've always wondered why that wasn't reissued. Never seen it. Is any of it on YouTube?

A handful of the New Jersey tracks are included as bonuses on the VL Uncut release.

OK. Thanks. I've always loved Shattered from the SPARKS WILL FLY boot from the August 14th show.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home