Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: VHS tapes are worth money
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 21, 2021 18:00

Geez, I got rid of my VHS tapes ages ago except for the ones with the family on 'em and that are still awaiting conversion to digital. If you still got some VHS tapes, maybe you're sitting on a fortune.

[www.nytimes.com]

Re: OT: VHS tapes are worth money
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 21, 2021 19:03

That's an interesting read.

I don't think the impact of the VCR can be overstated. Try to imagine a world where everything on TV just went by, like a river current.

If you weren't home to watch it when it was broadcast, you missed it. Oh, there might be a summer rerun of a series program a few months later, but basically that was it. TV meant being there, awake, and sitting through ALL the commercials...

If something really funny happened on Johnny Carson, you might hear about it from the insomniac by the water cooler at work the next day, and take his word for it that you really missed something.

Being able to record a show and watch it later was like a miracle. Actually owning a copy of a movie and being able to see it whenever you wanted again and again was an impossible notion.

I used to drive to the other side of LA just to be able to see a rare screening of some short Stones films--stuff that I can now pull up with a couple of clicks and watch at my kitchen table. (And I was lucky to live in an area where that was even possible)

I'm not saying this as a "I used to walk 10 miles to school in the snow" story. I just want to point out what an amazing world we live in now--one that I don't take for granted.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 21, 2021 19:29

loog droog

I don't think the impact of the VCR can be overstated. Try to imagine a world where everything on TV just went by, like a river current.

If you weren't home to watch it when it was broadcast, you missed it. Oh, there might be a summer rerun of a series program a few months later, but basically that was it. TV meant being there, awake, and sitting through ALL the commercials...

If something really funny happened on Johnny Carson, you might hear about it from the insomniac by the water cooler at work the next day, and take his word for it that you really missed something.

Being able to record a show and watch it later was like a miracle. Actually owning a copy of a movie and being able to see it whenever you wanted again and again was an impossible notion.

I used to drive to the other side of LA just to be able to see a rare screening of some short Stones films--stuff that I can now pull up with a couple of clicks and watch at my kitchen table. (And I was lucky to live in an area where that was even possible)

I'm not saying this as a "I used to walk 10 miles to school in the snow" story. I just want to point out what an amazing world we live in now--one that I don't take for granted.

You're not from Yorkshire then?............Monty Python Live At Drury Lane - Four Yorkshiremen...............[www.youtube.com]

The first VHS tape I wanted to buy was Mick's "Running out of luck".............the guy wanted £75/$100 for it in 1985..........eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 19:32 by EddieByword.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 21, 2021 19:36

We should have learned our lesson with CDs.smiling smiley I got rid of most my vinyls in that time. Plus I literally threw all my VHS tapes in the trash. Actually I'm not much in love with video like audio so it doesn't hurt. Plus I'm back with all the vinyl I want.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 21, 2021 19:57

The bass is so much richer, and the sound so much more natural.

Probably got a few hundred VHS tapes, mostly music based or related.

Any bidders out there?

jb

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 21, 2021 20:08

Interesting, indeed.

I still have some VHS tapes....

Video Rewind
Running Out of Luck
25 x 5

And even my old VHS editions of Performance and Ned Kelly as well as my old "Stones in the Park" (Hyde Park '69) bootleg cool smiley
I now have the Blu Rays for these three though.

Date: February 21, 2021 21:19

I have a ton of Stones stuff on VHS. We used to take the VHS player with us and tape the news reviews of the concerts the next morning.

May I should post some of the clips on here I know there are some good memories to be found.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2021 21:38

I have a large dresser in storage, and each drawer is filled with VHS tapes nicely organized- it's basically a massive VHS storage cabinet filled mostly with official movie releases I purchased back in the day.
Also have a couple of large cardboard boxes filled with miscellaneous VHS tapes I recorded from TV such as episodes of Columbo, old MTV stuff, various music specials, and even the OJ Simpson car chase ha.
I still have a couple of VHS players - one is a DVD/VHS combo player that's currently hooked up to a tv in the back room, but it's been a long time since I've watched a VHS on it.
Pretty sure I have an official release of the Gimme Shelter movie on VHS, and also The Beatles Anthology releases...might be worth some money some day, if they aren't already.................

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 21, 2021 22:17

The Pamela and Tommy Lee tapes
probably still help pull a lotta bucks ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 21, 2021 22:59

Thanks for opening this thread it has reminded me of something I need to do.
My dad was an art director in advertising and I’ve got a bunch of old VHS tapes with some of his work on including some great commercials from the 80s and 90s for Levi’s jeans and Audi cars Vorsprung Durch Technik.

I’ve got no financial interest in them but it will be great for me to be able to watch them.I must look into getting these digitally converted as it’s now probably near impossible to buy a working VHS player.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 23:50 by Nate.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: February 21, 2021 23:33

A year ago a friend gave me a box of vhs tapes from the 1990s. I listed them on eBay for $5 bucks each. One of them sold for $170 bucks.

Date: February 21, 2021 23:54

well right off hand here is a lot of 7 tapes featuring music, for 27$ including shipping and that includes the Stones 25 X 5, which if I recall correctly might not have ever been issued in another format or maybe laser disk or something. So that would indicate to me that if there is a hot market for tapes, might not be for anything I am liable to hold.

I would have to assume the ones that really bring money are the fairly major releases that somehow never made it to issue on dvd, or stuff like the really obscure Japanese pre-Anime animation films that were widely available back then in Japan, but were known only to collectors in the west.

jb

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 22, 2021 00:35

Nate
My dad was an art director in advertising and I’ve got a bunch of old VHS tapes with some of his work on including some great commercials from the 80s and 90s for Levi’s jeans and Audi cars Vorsprung Durch Technik.

I’ve got no financial interest in them but it will be great for me to be able to watch them.I must look into getting these digitally converted as it’s now probably near impossible to buy a working VHS player.

Nate

Not so at all. There are loads of used working ones (and prolly some non-working ones) on eBay. In addition, you can still buy new VHS-DVD combination players -- even in the NYT article, there was an ad for one of them. At my library/archives, we have bought a number of these combination units new from B & H Photo Video in NYC, prolly the finest audiovisual store in the world, or at least in the States. They carry both professional and consumer products. I know many AV and TV professionals who deal with them regularly. So have a look.

Having said all that, I recently threw out a bunch of Stones boot VHS tapes as they are mostly available on DVD and I have a number of them and for the rest, I know I can get them in one digital format or another. I did save a few that I haven't seen out there in Stones World.

plexi

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 22, 2021 01:34

I just saw a bunch of VHS tapes laying on the sidewalk in Sun Valley, CA. I kicked them around a bit looking for anything I wanted but wasn't in any position to carry the whole batch home.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2021 02:00

timbernardis
Nate

Nate

Not so at all. There are loads of used working ones (and prolly some non-working ones) on eBay. In addition, you can still buy new VHS-DVD combination players -- even in the NYT article, there was an ad for one of them. At my library/archives, we have bought a number of these combination units new from B & H Photo Video in NYC, prolly the finest audiovisual store in the world, or at least in the States. They carry both professional and consumer products. I know many AV and TV professionals who deal with them regularly. So have a look.

Having said all that, I recently threw out a bunch of Stones boot VHS tapes as they are mostly available on DVD and I have a number of them and for the rest, I know I can get them in one digital format or another. I did save a few that I haven't seen out there in Stones World.

plexi

I bought a combo vcr/dvd player back a few years ago, Toshiba I think, just because I was worried I might not ever be able to play those tapes again in the future. $80 or something. Amazing how inexpensive electronics have become.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: February 22, 2021 02:30

I bought a stereo VHS player and hooked it up to my stereo with RCA jacks back in '85 or so and bought some great rock and roll VHS concerts and documentaries and thought it was just amazing. I remember taping "Let's Spend The Night Together" off Cinemax or some other channel. The good 'ol days- we really cherished those tapes and now they release a new DVD every few months LOL

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 22, 2021 05:40

loog droog

HA HA! I remember that extremely well. I don't recall exactly when the VCR showed up at home because my dad chose to get the Betamax first. I still have my VHS tapes though. In 1983 I started a local news sports recording frenzy that ended in May of 1988 recording anything I could of Wayne Gretzky's feats. One day MTV showed up (I lived in the boondocks next to a river in the woods) and there I was, recording what I could when I had the time to get the hype that something would be on - part of the intensity of having to be present to see it to record it. To be ready! 120 MINUTES ruled - a great way to be introduced to new music or see new music/bands/artists that were new interests. I'm surprised the VCR didn't get worn out from being on record/pause so much.

Keith on SNL with Take It So Hard and Struggle was almost a head popper. I was so geeked to have recorded that. That just blew my mind.

The 1989 Atlantic City PPV was a monumental achievement, though. I was cranked from having that. Then the highest moment possible - putting that onto cassette! That was only topped by getting the double CD of SEVENTH OF JULY in the mail the next year. Holy crap was I ever onto something.

Then I moved to Chicago and bootlegs were everywhere on both disc formats.

Indeed, with YouTube I was now able to find all the Stones boots I had and a gazillion of them I was never able to find or hear, studio and live. The day I found Atlantic City on YouTube I started to dream of being able to find whatever I could that I recorded in the 1980s (and up through 1997)... and it has pretty much become available, whether it's the Stones or Wayne Gretzky (and lots of other things, mostly music stuff).

YouTube has redefined the idea and culture of video - and it's fantastic! Instead of making a cassette one can now simply convert and have an mp3 file of a song. It certainly beats not being able to listen to it. And it's possible that YouTube has influenced artists/labels to release some things.

After all, ATLANTIC CITY is now an official release and it's magnificent. Just being able to listen and hear it clearly is truly a dream come true.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 22, 2021 10:08

I've only kept VHS copies where I don't have a DVD copy. Stones Video Rewind, Neil Young's Weld and very few others But they're magnetic tape so will decay over time. Who still owns a working VHS video recorder?!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 22, 2021 11:23

Father Ted
Who still owns a working VHS video recorder?!

I do. :-) Two actually.

One is the sort of device mentioned earlier that is a VHS/DVD player that's designed to do the transfers to DVD. The other is a plain old VHS player, but I've got a sort of USB Dongle that allows me to record on a PC what's playing on the VHS.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 22, 2021 13:23

Still have my Voodoo Lounge 94/95 official tour film on VHS. I wonder what that is worth now?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 22, 2021 13:59

I still have 25x5.

So if you want to make a real good invenstment – for 25x50 Euros it yours! winking smiley

Date: February 22, 2021 19:36

Like I said, a sealed copy of 25 X 5 plus six others for 20$ plus shipping. Not gonna retire on that mate.

I have at least three working VHS decks: one NTSC, one PAL, one multi format. used them for duping back in the day and hardly any hours on them.

Open for offers. Not up for grabs, but open for offers.

jb

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 22, 2021 19:51

I also got loads of VHS tapes. Lotsa Stones official and boots. Gimmer Shelter and 25 x 5 for instance in official versions. Keith in Hollywood official, B2B in St Louis and lots of other shows. Lots of Arsenal FC season videos too, from the late 80's and all of the 90's leading up to 2003 I think.

Pity my DVD/VHS combo player (Samsung) from 2005 ain't working though.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: February 23, 2021 00:31

Still have a few my 1st prize is a Signed copy of "Lawrence of Arabia"by Peter O'Toole......Never played it wrapped it up....A Gent to meet..Still have It And Yes a Gent to Meet!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 23, 2021 01:23

Silver Dagger
Still have my Voodoo Lounge 94/95 official tour film on VHS. I wonder what that is worth now?

So have I, or at least a copy of it from the BBC broadcast. Strangely there were 2 official Voodoo Lounge videos - 1 being the one sold in shops (Miami - 17 songs of 27 played) and the other a show at Giants Stadium New Jersey, both 1994. The latter was only available as merch at the shows - a 16 song edit. I bought that one at Wembley show 3 in 1995. I haven’t watched either since forever.

I’m interested to hear there’s a market for VHS videos - I have loads of them by the Stones and others , including Video Rewind, 25 x 5, Live at the Max, the merch video of BtB (St Louis) and stuff by other acts.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 23, 2021 03:11

I saw an ad for a combo VCR/DVD. The kicker is that the DVD is also a recorder, and you can burn your VHS to DVD.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 23, 2021 03:47

Rockman

Nice double meaning!!!

Rod

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 23, 2021 04:29

Rockman

If we are going down that route it would be the Traci Lords videos. I knew a guy who owned a video store back in the day and had them. They were supposed to be destroyed but I knew for a fact he kept his store's copies for posterity. Those should be worth something today but one could go to jail for selling them.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 23, 2021 05:36

Silver Dagger

From New Jersey? I've always wondered why that wasn't reissued. Never seen it. Is any of it on YouTube?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 23, 2021 06:15

mikey C
Still have a few my 1st prize is a Signed copy of "Lawrence of Arabia"by Peter O'Toole......Never played it wrapped it up....A Gent to meet..Still have It And Yes a Gent to Meet!

Can you tell us that story in more detail?

That is one of the greatest movies of all time, waaaay ahead of its time and still holds up well today. And the cast, and scenery, I could go on. The tortured character that was T.E. Lawrence. Social, racial and historical commentary. Sad to say that most who were in the film are now gone, including Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif. I'm still needing the buy the 50th anniversary box set (DVD and prolly Blu Ray) which looks great from the descriptions, but is not cheap. I'll get it at some point.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-23 06:21 by timbernardis.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home