Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

funny stuff older people say about the stones
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 18, 2021 23:30

hi
i thought people here might get a laugh from this story
i was visting my uncle recently (safely) and was talking to him about the stones when his wife who is 85 asked what we were talking about and when i said the stones she cursed in
blackfoot (which she is) and said i hate that mick jagger i inquired as to why and she said her daughters wore out her new carpet dancing to satisfaction then said that brian jones sure was cute though and her daughter who was there just rolled her eyes and said oh mom
i don't mean to disparage her she is a very nice woman but it was all i could do not to break out laughing
so i hope that brought someone a smile

Re: funny stuff older people say about the stones
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 18, 2021 23:43

It did.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: February 19, 2021 01:50

Twenty years ago, at work, "Monkey Man" comes on the classic radio station that airing through the bindery and it sounds good. At the end of the song, however, the owner (in his late seventies at the time) blows up at all the "crazy caterwauling" going on at the end of the song. I thanked him for reminding how The Stones could still set old folks' teeth on edge.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 19, 2021 02:21

I have that jacket with a really large tongue on the back of it and an older gentleman who I'd expected would know his sh*t referred to it as "your Kiss jacket" that was a hard one to swallow for me but only for a moment because it was apparent that the guy didn't know sh*t.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: February 19, 2021 12:32

You mean there are older people than us posters here? 100+?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2021 12:49

dead.flowers

I was kinda thinking the same thing, actually!

The day's of your parents moaning about the Stones surely ended decades ago. I have colleagues whose own parents were too young to appreciate the group in their prime.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 19, 2021 13:05

My mom wasnt even born when the Stones were hype in the 60s

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2021 13:21

NilsHolgersson
My mom wasnt even born when the Stones were hype in the 60s

Nor was I.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 19, 2021 14:06

My parents are a similar age to the band so remember them bursting onto the scene in the 60s. It was my dad’s purchase of the Rolled Gold compilation that first got me into the band. I even got them along to a gig once - Paris 2007.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 19, 2021 17:36

"What a drag it is getting old...."

From another view, when I was working as a high school teacher, something came up about music during a discussion and when I mentioned Keith Richards, one of the student's asked, "Who's that?" I looked at him and asked him, "You've never heard of Keith Richards?" He said no. I then asked him, "Have you heard of The Rolling Stones? He's a member of the band." He replied, "Yeah, I've heard of them. It's one of them groups my parents say they listened to growing up." Talk about feeling f*cking old and on the other side of that generation gap where I'd once placed my parents.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: February 19, 2021 17:49

Yes, I was a high school teacher too. In one way it keeps you young because you're in touch with the young people but on the other it makes you old because five years ago is ancient history to them.

I just worked it out: Talking to a 13 year old about the Stones, a band that began 58 years ago, is like telling a 13 year old me (in '75) about a band that began in 1917!!

Now I feel old...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 19, 2021 17:54

My mother-in-law in 2010 - sitting round all talking about music through the ages - she was 85 - she said "I like young people like the Rolling Stones.............

In 1990 she went with another of her daughters to see them in Cardiff - I guess at the age of 65 then, she would have been probably the oldest person in the stadium - Bill Wyman would have 'only' been 54.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-25 17:43 by EddieByword.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 21, 2021 01:47

i'm 28 you're all probaly older than me and i like and often listen to music that is over 100 years old and margie (the 85 year old i'm talking about) didn't like mick cause he sang a song her kids liked in the sixties and wore out her new shag carpet dancing to it she is quite fond of bob dylan, the beatles, and especialy hendrix because of him being and i'm quoting here a beautiful native boy which is something that she as blackfoot has alway been very proud of (and she loves his music and saw him live twice with her teenage daughters)

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 24, 2021 13:34

My friend's mother was interviewed on German tv - she was the oldest fan at one of the shows.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: February 24, 2021 14:40

Big Al
dead.flowers

I was kinda thinking the same thing, actually!

The day's of your parents moaning about the Stones surely ended decades ago. I have colleagues whose own parents were too young to appreciate the group in their prime.

Being a young kid in the early sixties, and when some rock'n'roll or the like was being played on the radio, I remember my grandma calling it forbidden music. Which I didn't understand why.

My parents and grandparents are long gone since. So, now most of us here are the older people ourselves.

d.f

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 24, 2021 19:09

They`re drug addicted.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 24, 2021 21:20

eh?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 25, 2021 03:10

My Mom told me in 1997 to grow-up, get off the Internet and forget the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 25, 2021 03:13

I remember my Great Aunt who would clip news clippings about the Rolling Stones for me telling me about Spanish Tony's book. It said how Keith had to get a blood transfusion to enter the USA. I remember the pained look on her face and I had a camera near by and took her photo as she was telling me. I wish I still had that pic!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 25, 2021 05:06

My grandfather used to curse Jagger. "That damn Mick Jagger". I thought it was hilarious. When I was older and the Stones came up, he'd go off on it. I asked him, What's your deal with Mick Jagger? Have you ever heard the Stones?

He hadn't. Saw some bits on the news about them back in the 1960s. He was in the Air Force. Crew cut, etc. Fly right and all that.

I guess Mick offended the US military. I played him, of all songs, Harlem Shuffle. He begrudgingly admitted it was good.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 25, 2021 05:26

Nikkei
I have that jacket with a really large tongue on the back of it and an older gentleman who I'd expected would know his sh*t referred to it as "your Kiss jacket" that was a hard one to swallow for me but only for a moment because it was apparent that the guy didn't know sh*t.

Ah yes...the 'Gene Simmons' Jacket. I think I have a couple of 'Gene Simmons' t-shirts in that case.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: February 25, 2021 13:54

My dad used to hate them.

My mother in law still says they’re an ugly band.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 25, 2021 14:30

My Mom used to call them the Stoners in Greek

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 25, 2021 15:36

GasLightStreet
My grandfather used to curse Jagger. "That damn Mick Jagger". I thought it was hilarious. When I was older and the Stones came up, he'd go off on it. I asked him, What's your deal with Mick Jagger? Have you ever heard the Stones?

He hadn't. Saw some bits on the news about them back in the 1960s. He was in the Air Force. Crew cut, etc. Fly right and all that.

I guess Mick offended the US military. I played him, of all songs, Harlem Shuffle. He begrudgingly admitted it was good.

Love this one. "That damn Mick Jagger." Great stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home