Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Youtube: Rolling Stones - Suck On The Jugular Alternate 1993 (Studios)
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 18, 2021 11:18

Why don't ya like it?!!!
C'mon boys...play it loud!!!
Far better than official version!
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-18 16:02 by bv.

Re: Why don't ya like it?!!!
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 18, 2021 11:35

Yeah MUCH better than the official version KRiffhard!smileys with beer

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 18, 2021 16:00

I'd like some Voodoo Lounge expanded edition.. they got great demos from those sessions

Re: Youtube: Rolling Stones - Suck On The Jugular Alternate 1993 (Studios)
Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: February 18, 2021 17:56

KRiffhard
Why don't ya like it?!!!
C'mon boys...play it loud!!!
Far better than official version!
[youtu.be]

I don't like it cuz it sounds like a cover (whereas a song like 'Miss You' they totally owned). Definitely better than the official version though...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 18, 2021 23:02

Of course it's better than the official version (which I rank as low as Back To Zero), but it still stinks - it's just nothin' in there that is even remotedly great imo - just a couple of minutes of uncoordinated, uninspired noise. No infectous groove, no melody to speak of, just nothing memorable.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 18, 2021 23:16

I love the official version, but this is nice too.
This is the classic song that the Stones do for fun, I like it!
Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: February 19, 2021 00:15

I don´t like the official version, absolutely boring, but this is far better

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: February 19, 2021 00:38

NilsHolgersson
I'd like some Voodoo Lounge expanded edition.. they got great demos from those sessions

It could be a hell of a record

Love is strong (Keith on vocals)
Suck on the jugular (alt)
Jump on top of me baby
The storm
I'm gonna drive
Honest man
You got me rocking (extended)
Make it now
Sweethearts Together (instrumental)
You got it made
Zip mouth angel
Cocaine
Trouble man
New faces (instrumental)
I go wild (Slower mix)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 19, 2021 12:14

"It could be a hell of a record"

Yeah the 10 Vigotone boots showed the band or Was - or both - were severely misguided as far as choosing song demos were worth of being developed into fully-formed tracks.

I mean... "Sparks Will Fly" "Moon Is Up" "Brand New Car" "Baby Break It Down" when they had some much good stuff that could be worked on? Wtf? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 19, 2021 13:48

Voodoo Lounge and the tour were the biggest disappointments to me from the Stones ever -just after Jagger's fantastic Wandering Spirit and Keith's solo albums and tours were he sounded loud and raw and aggressive they came with Voodoo Lounge -cliché Stones trying to sound like to Stones, with everything I like about them missing. Richard's never sounded worse on this album or the tour, if you could hear him at all.

Mathijs

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2021 14:01

Mathijs
Voodoo Lounge and the tour were the biggest disappointments to me from the Stones ever -just after Jagger's fantastic Wandering Spirit and Keith's solo albums and tours were he sounded loud and raw and aggressive they came with Voodoo Lounge -cliché Stones trying to sound like to Stones, with everything I like about them missing. Richard's never sounded worse on this album or the tour, if you could hear him at all.

Mathijs

Sounded or performed? I'm talking about the tour, here.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 19, 2021 14:11

goingmad
NilsHolgersson

It could be a hell of a record

Love is strong (Keith on vocals)
Suck on the jugular (alt)
Jump on top of me baby
The storm
I'm gonna drive
Honest man
You got me rocking (extended)
Make it now
Sweethearts Together (instrumental)
You got it made
Zip mouth angel
Cocaine
Trouble man
New faces (instrumental)
I go wild (Slower mix)

+ Middle of the Sea

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2021 14:30

Voodoo Lounge suffers in the same way so many 90's albums do: too many songs. With the CD-age in full-throttle, it seemed that every act felt compelled to fill the disc. So many releases from this period are simply too long.

Posted by: claudinedidit ()
Date: February 19, 2021 18:35

That was sweet. Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard that before and really like it.

Date: February 19, 2021 22:57

claudinedidit
That was sweet. Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard that before and really like it.

smileys with beer

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 19, 2021 23:17

not my cup of tea, not at all

Date: February 20, 2021 09:21

slewan

Imo it's a catchy funky groove...a part of their eclecticism!
I mean, what's not to like of this version?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-20 09:22 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 20, 2021 15:05

Loved that! Lots more guitar and percussion. Superior to the album version.

Must check the Voodoo Brew/Stew I have as do not recall hearing this super groovy version.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 20, 2021 16:03

Big Al
Mathijs

Mathijs

Sounded or performed? I'm talking about the tour, here.

Nothing will ever be as bad as the BANG tour - and that's not just about Keith.

Date: February 20, 2021 16:25

Is this the early take of SOTJ?
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 20, 2021 17:30

Yes, a little bit better. But Back to zero is still superior...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 20, 2021 17:42

KRiffhard
slewan

Imo it's a catchy funky groove...a part of their eclecticism!
I mean, what's not to like of this version?!

I just don't like it (neither this version nor the officially release one) – that's all

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 20, 2021 19:09

vintage sound but in a good way, nothing spectacular but a far superior try at funkish stuff than the dreadly dead cold rain fall down, imo

Date: February 21, 2021 20:47

Mathijs

Mathijs

Voodoo Lounge sounds exactly like the album of a band when the main songwriters keep their best material for solo releases.

Date: February 21, 2021 21:32

retired_dog
Mathijs

Mathijs

Voodoo Lounge sounds exactly like the album of a band when the main songwriters keep their best material for solo releases.

Keeping the best for their solo albums... how would anyone know if they'd be better with the Stones? It's easier to compare Keith's tunes to the Stones than Mick's tunes to the Stones because Keith's are "more like" the Stones, which is why tunes like How I Wish, Eileen and quite a few others could've easily worked as Stones songs. Not much of Mick's solo material sounds like it would work as Stones songs - even though there are plenty of Stones songs that, ha ha, sound like Jagger solo songs. Just played with the Stones.

Certainly Saint Of Me and MAWGJ could've worked well on GODDESS since very little of those are truly The Rolling Stones (with or without Wyman).

VOODOO LOUNGE is basically a good album. Regardless of what songs on it I don't like, it has some good stuff on it that neither could do solo wise. Love Is Strong was already done - but not with Mick - with Wicked As It Seems, and both are fantastic. Moon Is Up, The Worst, Out Of Tears and I Go Wild are new classic Stones. The rest of it is whatever, although I have grown to dig Thru And Thru and Mean Disposition over the years, and I find Brand New Car and SOTJ tolerable at times. The B-sides are better than what I haven't mentioned.

An interesting thing to me is VL makes BRIDGES TO BABYLON sound crispy and vibrant and a post-Wyman version of the band that sounds interested in creating again, with BTB their most adventurous LP since UNDERCOVER - when they were still a creative band.

Date: February 21, 2021 22:07

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
Mathijs

Mathijs

Keeping the best for their solo albums... how would anyone know if they'd be better with the Stones? It's easier to compare Keith's tunes to the Stones than Mick's tunes to the Stones because Keith's are "more like" the Stones, which is why tunes like How I Wish, Eileen and quite a few others could've easily worked as Stones songs. Not much of Mick's solo material sounds like it would work as Stones songs - even though there are plenty of Stones songs that, ha ha, sound like Jagger solo songs. Just played with the Stones.

Certainly Saint Of Me and MAWGJ could've worked well on GODDESS since very little of those are truly The Rolling Stones (with or without Wyman).

VOODOO LOUNGE is basically a good album. Regardless of what songs on it I don't like, it has some good stuff on it that neither could do solo wise. Love Is Strong was already done - but not with Mick - with Wicked As It Seems, and both are fantastic. Moon Is Up, The Worst, Out Of Tears and I Go Wild are new classic Stones. The rest of it is whatever, although I have grown to dig Thru And Thru and Mean Disposition over the years, and I find Brand New Car and SOTJ tolerable at times. The B-sides are better than what I haven't mentioned.

An interesting thing to me is VL makes BRIDGES TO BABYLON sound crispy and vibrant and a post-Wyman version of the band that sounds interested in creating again, with BTB their most adventurous LP since UNDERCOVER - when they were still a creative band.

Not much - even on Wandering Spirit? That's the album in question here because it's from the Voodoo Lounge timeframe, not She's The Boss or Primitive Cool (even those have a few songs that could have worked as Stones songs).

My point was that they kept their best material for solo releases, namely Main Offender and Wandering Spirit and when time arrived for Voodoo Lounge, there was not much of substance left in the can.

Date: February 21, 2021 22:24

Wasn't Hang On To Me Tonight from the STEEL WHEEL sessions? Evening Gown could easily be a Stones song since they've enjoyed doing some country tunes over the years.

I can't imagine Put Me In The Trash with the Stones. Wired All Night... maybe. The title track... it's not far from Sweet Neo Con. It's just too cheeky.

Sweet Thing? Sure. Don't Tear Me Up - the most obvious one of them all.

Time frame or not, there are songs on any of their solo albums that could've worked as Stones songs. Throwaway is obvious. Secrets. Lucky In Love (I think that would be better as a Stones tune). Just Another Night could work.

Lonely At The Top - the Stones version is seemingly not finished. Difficult to say if that could've worked well.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 23, 2021 17:51

Just differences of opinion on the masterpiece that is Voodoo Lounge!! smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home