Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Knebworth Fair 1976 coming?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 18, 2021 15:02

DandelionPowderman
tioms
hi, DandelionPowderman,"
Can you tell us more about "(supposedly because 10 CC fvcked up their equipment)"
(sound equipment, or something else)?
I was in Knebworth.

I've read a more detailed story, but it's mentioned here as well:

[www.loudersound.com]

10cc had several synths which went out of tune when the temperature rapidly dropped after the scorching hot August sun. So they were nearly 90 minutes late coming on and then, apparently Keith was waiting for Spanish Tony to arrive with the gear and refused to go on until he made the connection. That took another 90 minutes or so. So instead of taking to the stage at 9pm the Stones arrived at nearly midnight.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 18, 2021 15:21

Freebird1959
Greatttttttttttttttttttt! Ofcourse I own Freebird The Movie, but any "new" material is more than welcome!!

[youtu.be]

Play it Loud as Slade says.

"Turn it up", as Ronnie Van Zant says.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 18, 2021 15:32

batcave
TumblinDice76
Keep in mind I was 2 months old when this Fair took place, that said, I always enjoyed this sloppy Stones Set. A little bit of Country Honk is fun and it's nice to hear Route 66 and Around and Around again live. One interesting comparison is the Stones played 2 hours and twenty seven minutes. Skynard played around an hour and 15 minutes. Now I like Skynard and have seen them over 10 times through the years, but short tight sets are always good. I saw the Ramones (who I also love) at Lollapalooza 1996. Did they blow Metallica and Soundgarden off the stage? Of course they did. The Ramones came out 1234, and ripped through 55 minutes of classics. Soundgarden and Metallica played over 2 hours each of a "full" show. Sometimes less is more and in this case Skynard rips through an hour plus of mostly their best hits and closes with the always amazing Free Bird.

The other thing to remember is that Skynyrd had been on the road for over a year so they were pretty tight at that point. The Stones hadn't played live for a few months and probably had some rust that had built up...

Also, the very talented Steve Gaines had just joined the band.

I wasn't there, but saw Skynyrd in August '76. They were indeed white hot.

Did they blow The Stones away as Artimus said? I can't say, but can say Skynyrd was very good.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 18, 2021 15:37

BTW, I met Leonard Skinner, Jr. a few years ago (along with Gene Odom, who was in the plane crash).

Very interesting pair.

The first verse of "Doom and Gloom" always reminded me of the Skynyrd crash:

I had a dream last night that I was piloting a plane
And all the passengers were drunk and insane
I crash landed in a Louisiana swamp
Shot up a horde of zombies, but I come out on top…

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: February 18, 2021 15:43

I assume that all releases from the vault need approvement by the Stones, most arguably by Mick and Keith. I guess if they consider a concert being good enough to be released, it will be done.
The footage from Knebworth '76 makes me doubt it will be released. Paris '76 were much better concerts, and that will be published for sure.

Date: February 18, 2021 17:18

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
tioms
hi, DandelionPowderman,"
Can you tell us more about "(supposedly because 10 CC fvcked up their equipment)"
(sound equipment, or something else)?
I was in Knebworth.

I've read a more detailed story, but it's mentioned here as well:

[www.loudersound.com]

10cc had several synths which went out of tune when the temperature rapidly dropped after the scorching hot August sun. So they were nearly 90 minutes late coming on and then, apparently Keith was waiting for Spanish Tony to arrive with the gear and refused to go on until he made the connection. That took another 90 minutes or so. So instead of taking to the stage at 9pm the Stones arrived at nearly midnight.

Did the temperature make their keys crack? grinning smiley

What I read was that they did sabotage some mics etc because they wanted a co-headline slot, but I don't remember the details.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2021 01:50

EddieByword
24FPS
Isn't there more from video/film from'76 than just Knebworth? Wasn't there a filmed Wembley concert? And Paris?

Yes, there was Paris - which featured on the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 and a French music show but no Wembley as they played Earl's Court x 6 in May.

There was/is about 50 mins of Wembley pro - shot '82 available.

They should stitch together the best of all the footage and call it Stones Live '76. As long as the video is passable and the sound is decent, who cares? Roundhay was nothing but a feed from video screens.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 19, 2021 14:37

Were any of the Earls Court shows from '76 filmed?

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: February 19, 2021 17:02

I like the knebworth show alot - even if it was just better generation copy of the jointtrip dvd I would be happy.
I like the raunchy you got to move.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: February 20, 2021 04:06

Wow that set list looks amazing! I would love to hear this show.

Date: February 20, 2021 04:40

I dug through my bootlegs. Only one I have is mediocre sounding but it is an amazing show.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 21, 2021 04:32

DandelionPowderman

It was Artemus Pyle who claimed that. Then the Skynyrd-fans loyally contributed to the legend smiling smiley

Yeah, I guess that is one side of the story. What actually happened, and how the people back then viewed the performances that probably depands on the eye of the beholder...

But I recall reading from Stones biographies that generally the Stones were critizised by British rock press for their performance - them being hasbeens, and acts like 10cc showing what the day's rock is like. But I guess we need to mind the context there, and the nature of always overtly-critical British rock press; the 'old farts' Stones being like a relic from the past, a dying representation of dinosaur rock - and the punk movement was not yet, but just about to happen. There was so much to not like about the Stones at the time (and probably BLACK AND BLUE didn't much help to see them musically not irrelevant). Add their their arrogant, hedonist rock star attitude, Jagger's controversial superstar persona and all that. So even though the Stones performance most likely wasn't their best, I would imagine that the verdict by the trend-following/leading press would have been the same no matter how would have they played. And no matter who else have played there - and how well - they would 'have blown the Stones away'.... Time (press) wasn't in their side at the time... but it could be that the thousands of people who actually saw the Stones that night might have thought differently....

Surely the Stones weren't that hot band any longer for the new generations of rock music listeners, but I guess that fact doesn't mean anything in a Stones concert - then or ever since. The Stones have a huge appeal to big crowds and people want to see them, be them no matter how relevant or not. I guess that was the case already in Knebworth. Da Stones, man...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2021 04:41

Yawn....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 22, 2021 15:47

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

It was Artemus Pyle who claimed that. Then the Skynyrd-fans loyally contributed to the legend smiling smiley

Yeah, I guess that is one side of the story. What actually happened, and how the people back then viewed the performances that probably depands on the eye of the beholder...

But I recall reading from Stones biographies that generally the Stones were critizised by British rock press for their performance - them being hasbeens, and acts like 10cc showing what the day's rock is like. But I guess we need to mind the context there, and the nature of always overtly-critical British rock press; the 'old farts' Stones being like a relic from the past, a dying representation of dinosaur rock - and the punk movement was not yet, but just about to happen. There was so much to not like about the Stones at the time (and probably BLACK AND BLUE didn't much help to see them musically not irrelevant). Add their their arrogant, hedonist rock star attitude, Jagger's controversial superstar persona and all that. So even though the Stones performance most likely wasn't their best, I would imagine that the verdict by the trend-following/leading press would have been the same no matter how would have they played. And no matter who else have played there - and how well - they would 'have blown the Stones away'.... Time (press) wasn't in their side at the time... but it could be that the thousands of people who actually saw the Stones that night might have thought differently....

Surely the Stones weren't that hot band any longer for the new generations of rock music listeners, but I guess that fact doesn't mean anything in a Stones concert - then or ever since. The Stones have a huge appeal to big crowds and people want to see them, be them no matter how relevant or not. I guess that was the case already in Knebworth. Da Stones, man...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Well I was already a big Skynyrd fan. I'd seen them on previous UK tours and they were as brilliant as ever at Knebworth...

But they did not "blow the Stones away".
A few bands , like Skynyrd, play great Rock N Roll.

The Stones , on the other hand, are Rock N Roll ...and certainly were on that longest day in '76 !

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 22, 2021 17:35

Spud
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Well I was already a big Skynyrd fan. I'd seen them on previous UK tours and they were as brilliant as ever at Knebworth...

The Stones , on the other hand, are Rock N Roll ...and certainly were on that longest day in '76 !

I agree 100%. I was also a Skynyrd fan with a few shows under my belt (including one at the Glasgow Apollo in which they did blow away the headline act, Golden Earring, a gig still much discussed round these parts).

They were great at Knebworth and the highlight of the daylight bands, but while they certainly went down a storm, they did not blow the Stones away.

I don't understand the discussion about 10cc "showing what the day's rock is like" compared to old farts like the Stones. 10cc were a very poor choice who, combined with the lengthy delays, sucked a lot of energy out of the audience between Skynyrd's set and that of the Stones. They were a clever pop band, totally out of place between rockers like Skynyrd and the Stones in a festival setting. Very few in the audience were there to see 10cc, they were the least cool act that day and I found their set boring. By the time the Stones came on, my mate had passed out, but I loved their set despite sound problems, etc. and the audience loved them. It would just have been so much better without 10cc, in my opinion.

Date: February 22, 2021 17:53

teleblaster
Spud
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

I agree 100%. I was also a Skynyrd fan with a few shows under my belt (including one at the Glasgow Apollo in which they did blow away the headline act, Golden Earring, a gig still much discussed round these parts).

They were great at Knebworth and the highlight of the daylight bands, but while they certainly went down a storm, they did not blow the Stones away.

I don't understand the discussion about 10cc "showing what the day's rock is like" compared to old farts like the Stones. 10cc were a very poor choice who, combined with the lengthy delays, sucked a lot of energy out of the audience between Skynyrd's set and that of the Stones. They were a clever pop band, totally out of place between rockers like Skynyrd and the Stones in a festival setting. Very few in the audience were there to see 10cc, they were the least cool act that day and I found their set boring. By the time the Stones came on, my mate had passed out, but I loved their set despite sound problems, etc. and the audience loved them. It would just have been so much better without 10cc, in my opinion.

How was Rundgren?

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 22, 2021 18:53

Rundgren was very good, but would have been better, imo, at night with lights. It was a very bright day with no lights at all by day. Skynyrd played as the sun was slightly lower in the sky. Maybe not the best audience for Todd Rundgren - they seemed to prefer out and out rock to his more progressive style (or maybe that was just me). I enjoyed him enough to go see him headline in Glasgow a couple of years later.

Date: February 22, 2021 18:58

thumbs up

Date: February 22, 2021 20:44

teleblaster
Spud
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

What sound problems exactly? I was there as well but, apart from the wait, I don’t recall anything negative about the Stones’ set.
That’s not to say you’re wrong but if you would explain it might jog my memory.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 22, 2021 21:02

Didn't a roadie go on stage and entertain the crowd by giving himself a hand job while waiting for the Stones? :-)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2021 21:07

Ya gotta admit ...
They just dont make roadies like they use ta ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: February 22, 2021 21:55

Elmo Lewis
Freebird1959
Greatttttttttttttttttttt! Ofcourse I own Freebird The Movie, but any "new" material is more than welcome!!

[youtu.be]

Play it Loud as Slade says.

"Turn it up", as Ronnie Van Zant says.

I can't hear you ...............I still can't hear you............What song is it you wanna hear?

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: February 22, 2021 23:28

EddieByword
Hairball
I've read many times, including from members here who were in attendance, that Lynyrd Skynyrd dominated and ultimately stole the show by a landslide.
Similar to hearing from many that AC/DC were the highlight and blew away the Stones at the SARS benefit.

I was there as a 16 year old about 30/40 yards from the stage and although Skynyrd were a really, truly impressive surprise (I'd never heard them before), well, if it was possible, to go back and see one set again - if I had to choose - no contest, the Stones everytime. They were and still are in a class of their own..............Midnight Rambler alone was a masterpiece with Mick in those weird tights more or less crawling round the stage moaning and groaning.........not to mention the unbelievable, still unsurpassed setlist, well......................cool smiley ....and good fun as well, not taking themselves too seriously even though they were in front of one of the biggest crowds since Hyde park '69..........

Also, I did hear myself that it was Skynyrd themselves who first mentioned "Blowing the Stones away"............(I don't really know that that's true......................drinking smiley

Another telling fact, I think, the Stones held everyone's attention from midnight to quarter to three in the morning.............A few might have left early to get trains etc but there were still thousands and thousands making their way to the campsite right at the end, a seemingly non stop parade, so..............shattered but not diminished........smoking smiley

That’s exactly how I felt about the concert, it was a glorious hot day and as you mentioned the Stones were so late coming on and I managed to get with in 20 yards of the stage halfway through the Stones concert and my first experience of the Stones close up and it was magical, but also felt dark & edgy and even slightly satanic. I would be 17 at that time.
Love to see an official copy of this and a good few months ago, somebody put a better quality version on YouTube which was really good, but soon taken down.

Date: February 22, 2021 23:33

my first experience of the Stones close up and it was magical, but also felt dark & edgy and even slightly satanic.

Hey that's good ta read ......

ROCKMAN

Date: February 23, 2021 00:30

Rockman
my first experience of the Stones close up and it was magical, but also felt dark & edgy and even slightly satanic.

Hey that's good ta read ......

thumbs up

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 23, 2021 02:25

Rockman
Love to see an official copy of this and a good few months ago, somebody put a better quality version on YouTube which was really good, but soon taken down.

To me, that suggests an official release is on the horizon. A good (?) reason to take a video down (especially in high quality) is because it will interfere with sales from the official release.

Date: February 23, 2021 13:19

mosthigh
Rockman

To me, that suggests an official release is on the horizon. A good (?) reason to take a video down (especially in high quality) is because it will interfere with sales from the official release.

Possibly and really hope so. I can’t exactly remember how long ago, but it could be 2 years or more.

Date: February 23, 2021 20:53

UH.!!! ...how'd i get mixed up in that one ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 23, 2021 21:43

Hairball
Yawn....

Yeah, sure you're going to say that to anything that offers true context to the times. So never mind history, you must stick to your agenda of feeding a myth in order to put down the Stones.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 24, 2021 04:04

Madcap
Wow that set list looks amazing! I would love to hear this show.

The setlist for the Stones Knebworth was unique for the time, but after hearing this show over the years, IMHO, the performance was lackluster. If there is a good quality Paris show from 76, I would rather see that over Knebworth.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home