Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Knebworth Fair 1976 coming?
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: February 16, 2021 23:57

I have seen recently that Eagle Rock is releasing Skynards full set from 1976 Knebworth is being released. Any chance the Stones set is coming?

Re: Knebworth Fair 1976 coming?
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 17, 2021 00:26

Not any more, you jinxed it.

Date: February 17, 2021 00:35

That seems about right!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 17, 2021 02:38

Sure timmyj3 might as well ask about the new album while you’re at it. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 17, 2021 02:46

Hey I am just asking, is that a crime on this sub?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 17, 2021 09:01

All that’s knowingly in existence is the raw BBC footage. That could’ve been all that was filmed. I’m just not sure if it’s enough to warrant a release.

Posted by: exil ()
Date: February 17, 2021 09:13

Skynard were great.Will buy that.

Date: February 17, 2021 09:30

timmyj3
Hey I am just asking, is that a crime on this sub?

The Stones had many technical problems during the gig (supposedly because 10 CC fvcked up their equipment), so I doubt a complete show will ever be released (not sure if the full show was ever recorded, either).

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: February 17, 2021 12:05

hi, DandelionPowderman,"
Can you tell us more about "(supposedly because 10 CC fvcked up their equipment)"
(sound equipment, or something else)?
I was in Knebworth.

Date: February 17, 2021 12:45

tioms
hi, DandelionPowderman,"
Can you tell us more about "(supposedly because 10 CC fvcked up their equipment)"
(sound equipment, or something else)?
I was in Knebworth.

I've read a more detailed story, but it's mentioned here as well:

<A lot of it was down to 10cc,” Bannister says of this purgatorial wait. “But the Stones delayed things for another hour because they were too busy posing and acting like rock stars>

[www.loudersound.com]

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: February 17, 2021 22:27

Greatttttttttttttttttttt! Ofcourse I own Freebird The Movie, but any "new" material is more than welcome!!

[youtu.be]

Play it Loud as Slade says.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-17 22:27 by Freebird1959.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 17, 2021 23:33

Mating call of the Great American Redneck Hawk.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 18, 2021 00:17

I've read many times, including from members here who were in attendance, that Lynyrd Skynyrd dominated and ultimately stole the show by a landslide.
Similar to hearing from many that AC/DC were the highlight and blew away the Stones at the SARS benefit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-18 00:19 by Hairball.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: February 18, 2021 00:34

Keep in mind I was 2 months old when this Fair took place, that said, I always enjoyed this sloppy Stones Set. A little bit of Country Honk is fun and it's nice to hear Route 66 and Around and Around again live. One interesting comparison is the Stones played 2 hours and twenty seven minutes. Skynard played around an hour and 15 minutes. Now I like Skynard and have seen them over 10 times through the years, but short tight sets are always good. I saw the Ramones (who I also love) at Lollapalooza 1996. Did they blow Metallica and Soundgarden off the stage? Of course they did. The Ramones came out 1234, and ripped through 55 minutes of classics. Soundgarden and Metallica played over 2 hours each of a "full" show. Sometimes less is more and in this case Skynard rips through an hour plus of mostly their best hits and closes with the always amazing Free Bird.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 18, 2021 01:24

TumblinDice76
Keep in mind I was 2 months old when this Fair took place, that said, I always enjoyed this sloppy Stones Set. A little bit of Country Honk is fun and it's nice to hear Route 66 and Around and Around again live. One interesting comparison is the Stones played 2 hours and twenty seven minutes. Skynard played around an hour and 15 minutes. Now I like Skynard and have seen them over 10 times through the years, but short tight sets are always good. I saw the Ramones (who I also love) at Lollapalooza 1996. Did they blow Metallica and Soundgarden off the stage? Of course they did. The Ramones came out 1234, and ripped through 55 minutes of classics. Soundgarden and Metallica played over 2 hours each of a "full" show. Sometimes less is more and in this case Skynard rips through an hour plus of mostly their best hits and closes with the always amazing Free Bird.

Then you know it´s spelled Skynyrd >grinning smiley<

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 18, 2021 01:27

mickijaggeroo

Then you know it´s spelled Skynyrd >grinning smiley<

Pop quiz: without googling, how did they come up with that name? drinking smiley

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 18, 2021 01:36

Highschool teacher inspired the name.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 18, 2021 01:52

Its like Keith said: keep it short and leave them wanting more. Maybe it was ALO who said that.

jb

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 18, 2021 02:59

timmyj3
I have seen recently that Eagle Rock is releasing Skynards full set from 1976 Knebworth is being released. Any chance the Stones set is coming?

I doubt there's any link between the two.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: February 18, 2021 04:43

TumblinDice76

The other thing to remember is that Skynyrd had been on the road for over a year so they were pretty tight at that point. The Stones hadn't played live for a few months and probably had some rust that had built up...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 18, 2021 05:12

Hairball
I've read many times, including from members here who were in attendance, that Lynyrd Skynyrd dominated and ultimately stole the show by a landslide.
Similar to hearing from many that AC/DC were the highlight and blew away the Stones at the SARS benefit.

I was there as a 16 year old about 30/40 yards from the stage and although Skynyrd were a really, truly impressive surprise (I'd never heard them before), well, if it was possible, to go back and see one set again - if I had to choose - no contest, the Stones everytime. They were and still are in a class of their own..............Midnight Rambler alone was a masterpiece with Mick in those weird tights more or less crawling round the stage moaning and groaning.........not to mention the unbelievable, still unsurpassed setlist, well......................cool smiley ....and good fun as well, not taking themselves too seriously even though they were in front of one of the biggest crowds since Hyde park '69..........

Also, I did hear myself that it was Skynyrd themselves who first mentioned "Blowing the Stones away"............(I don't really know that that's true......................drinking smiley

Another telling fact, I think, the Stones held everyone's attention from midnight to quarter to three in the morning.............A few might have left early to get trains etc but there were still thousands and thousands making their way to the campsite right at the end, a seemingly non stop parade, so..............shattered but not diminished........smoking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-18 05:27 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2021 05:30

They were and still are in a class of their own............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 18, 2021 05:30

EddieByword
Hairball

I was there as a 16 year old about 30/40 yards from the stage and although Skynyrd were a really, truly impressive surprise (I'd never heard them before), well, if it was possible, to go back and see one set again - if I had to choose - no contest, the Stones everytime. They were and still are in a class of their own..............Midnight Rambler alone was a masterpiece with Mick in those weird tights more or less crawling round the stage moaning and groaning.........not to mention the unbelievable, still unsurpassed setlist, well......................cool smiley ....and good fun as well, not taking themselves too seriously even though they were in front of one of the biggest crowds since Hyde park '69..........

Also, I did hear myself that it was Skynyrd themselves who first mentioned "Blowing the Stones away"............(I don't really know that that's true......................drinking smiley

Another telling fact, I think, the Stones held everyone's attention from midnight to quarter to three in the morning.............A few might have left early to get trains etc but there were still thousands and thousands making their way to the campsite right at the end, a seemingly non stop parade, so..............shattered but not diminished........smoking smiley

Cool story EddieByword -it must have been amazing to experience all of that, and shows that it depends on who you ask....Skynyrd vs. Stones haha.
I'm sure for you as a 16 year old at the time the Rolling Stones were the "greatest rock and roll band in the world", but for others maybe not so much.
And while I have read opinions such as yours regarding that debate, I don;t think I've heard anyone say the Stones were better than AC/DC at the SARS benefit.
Personally, I'm not a diehard AC/DC fan by any stretch, but I can see how that's possible, and if anyone who was there thinks the Stones blew away AC/DC that day, now's the time to speak up! lol

Date: February 18, 2021 05:49

Hairball
EddieByword
Hairball

Cool story EddieByword -it must have been amazing to experience all of that, and shows that it depends on who you ask....Skynyrd vs. Stones haha.
I'm sure for you as a 16 year old at the time the Rolling Stones were the "greatest rock and roll band in the world", but for others maybe not so much.
And while I have read opinions such as yours regarding that debate, I don;t think I've heard anyone say the Stones were better than AC/DC at the SARS benefit.
Personally, I'm not a diehard AC/DC fan by any stretch, but I can see how that's possible, and if anyone who was there thinks the Stones blew away AC/DC that day, now's the time to speak up! lol

Cheers thanks.............not so much that as I had only been into them since '73 and in fact my first singles were Hawkwind, Alice Cooper and Slade etc so I was still checking stuff out - but of course it's all subjective. (My first LPs were GHS and Humble pie - Rockin' the Fillmore bought on the same day............
I saw Led Zep and the New Barbarians there also in '79 but for me, they were both blown away by Ian Dury and the Blockheads at the Hammersmith Odeon the next day - I caught them by accident as the Odeon is at the start of the motorway which leads to Wales where I live..(hitch hiking)......

..(Apparently he really annoyed Lou Reed the year before in the States by upstaging him on their joint tour.......but yes, again, all a matter of taste....

Yes, '76 - '80 were great years - '76 I saw the Stones at Earl's court, then The Who in my home town two weeks later and then Knebworth.....Then Dylan, Clapton, Zappa, the Tubes, Genesis and loads of punk bands ..........

I haven't listened to that AC/DC, I'll have to check it out.....The Stones at SARS with AC/DC was pretty mad (Rock me baby, I think?.....so yes, on my to do list...........

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 18, 2021 06:09

Hairball
EddieByword
Hairball

The one common thread that defines your meandering nonsense is you find a way to put the Stones down.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 18, 2021 10:47

Isn't there more from video/film from'76 than just Knebworth? Wasn't there a filmed Wembley concert? And Paris?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 18, 2021 12:04

The idea of someone 'blewing away' someone on stage ages ago sounds pretty funny and, let's be frank, stupid now. By what standard? Whose taste counts? A fact? Rhetorics aside: Does it really matter now? It's all history now.

James Brown arguably blew away the Stones in TAMI show (isn't that sort of historical fact that even Jagger amuses himself with in order to praise his hero?), but that doesns't take anything out of probably the finest footage of early R&B, Brian-era band. A true jewel performance by the Stones, captured beautifully.

The Who arguably blew away the Stones in ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS (which might have been the very reason why the film wasn't released for years), but that doesn't take anything out of the historical signficance of that last Brian Jones era concert, the band just starting to play new hot material and discovering their new sound. Even Mick, decades afterwards, rethought his stance, and thought they weren't that bad after all. Keith the same.

STONES IN PARK and MARQUEE '71 capture the band out of tune, sloppy and breathless in places, but still those are monumental footages of the band in its glory years I am most happy to have.

Just reading the description of Knebworth by EddieByword is enough for me to get excited about the idea of seeing the whole footage of the show (if it exists). The footage alraedy circulating indicates the same (and oh boy, what a setlist!). The Stones were in the height of their decadent years, the most arrogant, sleaziest, hedonist band in the world (an item for every rock journalist at the time to critizise, and probably for a reason). If some Lynyrd Skynyrd, or 10CC if you like, is claimed to have 'blewn them away' that night 45 yaers ago, good for them, but I couldn't care less. Just give me that performance by the 'proper rock and roll band', no matter how sloppy they might have been!

That said, great to have the Skynyrd performance. A great band and it is interesting to see if they truely were so awesome that night as the folklore says. But like Gazza, I don't see any connection with it and a possible Stones release.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-18 12:21 by Doxa.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: February 18, 2021 12:10

Lovely BEEEEEEEEPP EEEEEEEEK during Hot Stuff! =LoL= grinning smiley

Date: February 18, 2021 12:41

24FPS
Isn't there more from video/film from'76 than just Knebworth? Wasn't there a filmed Wembley concert? And Paris?

Yes, there was Paris - which featured on the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 and a French music show but no Wembley as they played Earl's Court x 6 in May.

There was/is about 50 mins of Wembley pro - shot '82 available.

Date: February 18, 2021 12:48

<If some Lynyrd Skynyrd, or 10CC if you like, is claimed to have 'blewn them away' ...>

It was Artemus Pyle who claimed that. Then the Skynyrd-fans loyally contributed to the legend smiling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home