Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

One sided vinyl singles
Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: February 15, 2021 14:11

Could someone tell me the logic with these single sided vinyl singles? Are the considered cooler or more hip than the usual two sided ones or what is it that I don't get?
The manufacturing cost would be just about the same, if you added another song on the other side. A live track, different mix or even an instrumental version of the a-side, just like in the good ol' days is not asked too much.

Plundered and No Spare Parts were still two sided.
But since then there's been at least Doom & Gloom, Just Your Fool, Ride Em On Down, She's a Rainbow and Ghost Town with a blank b-side.
Is this a common practise nowadays with other artists too or just a special treat from The Stones camp?

Re: One sided vinyl singles
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 15, 2021 14:15

In the age of streaming, the B-side is no-longer a 'thing' With this in mind, I suspect, sadly, artists are not going to specifically create a flip-side for such a limited market release. It's saddening, but the reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-15 14:19 by Big Al.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 15, 2021 14:21

in case of Ghost Town the simple answer is: they don't have anything else to put it on the flip side

Date: February 15, 2021 14:40

slewan
in case of Ghost Town the simple answer is: they don't have anything else to put it on the flip side
One More Shot? Something from Honk’s live cd? Or an alternative mix of Ghost Town? Or even that instrumental track.

Date: February 15, 2021 14:43

padre69
slewan
One More Shot? Something from Honk’s live cd? Or an alternative mix of Ghost Town? Or even that instrumental track.

One More Shot would've been the logical B-side. I think my theory is basically right, though. Which act's are releasing B-sides in 2021?

Date: February 15, 2021 14:46

slewan

You can always put a whistle on the flip side. Frank Zappa once threatened a record company to do so if he couldn't break up the record contract. It worked.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 15, 2021 19:29

saves ya trying to flip the record
over when ya fully plastered ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 15, 2021 20:10

No B-side, yet they charge the same price...something's definitely not right about that.
The 'Ride em on Down 10" single was maybe the first time I'd ever seen this from any band, and felt it was a waste of good plastic....why not slap something on the b-side?
Then there was the 10" She's a Rainbow (live) from Honk...again no B-side. Bought it and still have it sealed...nice looking, but would have been nice to have something on the flip side.
For Ghost Town, they should have and could have easily put the remix or anything on the B-side...a shame they didn't.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 15, 2021 20:53

its cheap its quick its a ripoff

ever feel like you been swindled? I think Johnny Rotten asked that

jb

Date: February 15, 2021 21:12

Maybe its a late vendetta against the letter B....
you know after all those BB albums Between .. Beggars.....Bang

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 15, 2021 21:25

Hairball
No B-side, yet they charge the same price...something's definitely not right about that.

You still pay the same price for a burger if you don't want onions etc on it.

When one buys a single the price is for the single, not the B-side. The B-side has zero value of what it used to have thanks to CDs, downloading and now streaming. If an artist deems a song a B-side it's an obvious nod to the past while also stating that they like the track enough to release it, just not on the LP (regardless of that format).

Date: February 15, 2021 21:34

The format for a B-side is, largely, no-longer there. This is why I guess it gives, say, The Stones, the excuse to be lazy and not bother with selecting a flip-side for the vinyl.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 15, 2021 22:40

Big Al
The format for a B-side is, largely, no-longer there. This is why I guess it gives, say, The Stones, the excuse to be lazy and not bother with selecting a flip-side for the vinyl.

The B-side seems to have gone through a few evolutions in terms of its value - royalties for songwriters, 2 songs selling, an LP track getting heard more, and then possibly a nod to fans - the non-LP track; LP and single versions for radio, or even two different edits.

The Stones released Miss You to promote REWIND in 1984. The B-side was Too Tough. A majority of the time their B-sides were just LP tracks. I got Mixed Emotions, RAAHP, IORR and She Was Hot just for the B-sides.

Date: February 15, 2021 22:47

Heck maybe on those one sided singles
the track is actually on the B-side so
that means they've left off the A-side ........

ROCKMAN

Date: February 15, 2021 23:53

Who's driving your plane and sad day, two at the time unreleased B sides that deserved better. but it was great to hold the singles and have the tunes even if no one else seemed to know them

and wasnt the long version of 2120 south michigan avenue also available only on a b side before it was put on the German (think it was) LP Around and Around?

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-15 23:54 by jbwelda.

Date: February 16, 2021 00:01

Long Long While ............

ROCKMAN

Date: February 16, 2021 00:05

Yep.

jb

Date: February 16, 2021 11:10

Is there a list anywhere of all the Stones' non-album B-sides? In other words: B-sides that don't feature on either the U.S. or U.K. L.P.'s?

Date: February 16, 2021 11:16

I'm pretty sure the following are the sole Decca/London B-sides that were exclusive to the 45 r.p.m.

Stoned
I Want to be Loved
Sad Day
Who’s Driving Your Plane
Long Long While
Child of the Moon
Let it Rock (Live)

*Dandelion was a 'Double A-Side' with We Love You, so isn't counted.

Date: February 16, 2021 11:26

Fast check showed that vinyl singles in 2020's really are a marginal product and for hardcores only.
Springsteen didn't release any vinyl singles from his two latest albums, the same goes with AC/DC's latest. So, actually we should be happy to get even those one-sided releases from The Stones.
The general public is satisfied with downloads, streams and full albums. It's the collectors that want those vinyl singles. That's why you can charge (almost) anything and leave the b-side blank. They want it, they'll buy it. I know, because I'm one of them.

BUT on the other hand, since it's the hardcore fans that buy the vinyl singles, why not treat them with respect and give them a little something extra on the b-side? Something the common listeners are not even interested, but the more dedicated fans can respect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home