Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones and Yacht Rock
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 12, 2021 22:36

Yacht Rock is certainly not my favourite genre, but there are some tunes that I do like.

What Stones songs perhaps qualify as Yacht Rock? Beast of Burden? Quite a bit of Steel Wheels?

What do you think?

(as an aside, here is my favourite Yacht Rock tune of the moment:

Lindsay Buckingam 'Trouble'

Re: The Stones and Yacht Rock
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 12, 2021 23:01

I will stick to barge boogey!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 13, 2021 00:32

Submarine Rock goes deeper .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 13, 2021 00:47

With recent ticket prices, I can only afford Kayak Rock. (And with kayaks, it’s not so much the rock...it’s all about the rolllll! grinning smiley )

(Anyone who suggests It’s All Over Now shall be bitten...as soon as I’m out of lockdown.)

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 13, 2021 01:12

Did you just make that up, yacht rock? That would be music you would commonly find coming from a yacht? Well at one time that would be Loggins & Messina, or Crosby, or Jimmy Buffett. These days I would think this might fit

That would be my yacht anyway.

How about Satisfaction or Miss You?

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-13 01:33 by jbwelda.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 13, 2021 01:21

Waiting on a Friend. Almost Hear you Sigh.
Maybe. Can't really think of anything else. Beast of Burden too funky to be yacht rock.

Date: February 13, 2021 01:53

....................... Guy Peellaert

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2021 07:00

jbwelda
Did you just make that up, yacht rock? That would be music you would commonly find coming from a yacht? Well at one time that would be Loggins & Messina, or Crosby, or Jimmy Buffett. These days I would think this might fit

That would be my yacht anyway.

How about Satisfaction or Miss You?

jb

That's funny - I wouldn't consider Jimmy Buffett as yacht rock. Wasn't there a Sirius channel called that?

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 13, 2021 14:01

Very few tracks the lads have made would qualify for that genre. Yacht rock, even the name conjures up sterile soulless 80s gated reverb madness! Perhaps one or two from Steel Wheels, that's about it.

Agreed on Kayak rock smiling smiley With only one paddle what can you do!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 13, 2021 17:03

Yacht rock is soft rock that embraced smoother R&B sensibilities in combination with layered vocal harmonies and state-of-the-art production.
Must have electric piano on it.

Think Steely Dan, Christopher Cross, Toto, Kenny Loggins, Gino Vannelli... acts like that.

Maybe stuff like Fool to Cry or Beast of Burden. But also; not really.

Never thought of Lindsey’s Trouble as Yacht Rock. Brilliant tune though.

Date: February 13, 2021 18:19

Biggest Mistake, perhaps?

Date: February 13, 2021 20:04

BowieStone, 'Trouble' ticks all the criteria you mention! (except I don't think it has electric piano)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 13, 2021 23:03

DandelionPowderman
Biggest Mistake, perhaps?

Nah, that's more like "chick music"... I wouldn't call it yacht rock.

I don't think anything they did falls under that category, but agree some stuff on SW is the closest they ever got.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-14 04:52 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 13, 2021 23:17

The Stones and "yacht rock" don't belong in the same sentence - the closest you'll get is some Jagger solo material,
but even that's a stretch as most yacht rock acts are somewhat popular w/many loyal fans (Christopher Cross, Kenny Loggins, Doobie Brothers, etc.).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-13 23:19 by Hairball.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 14, 2021 16:20

Naah ... the Stones aren't yacht rock at all. Some "older" groups went into that territory in the late 70s, like Crosby Stills & Nash, or The Beach Boys (around Love You?), but the Stones never sounded like it, not even in their schmaltziest electric piano disco phase. They're too loose, too "black", too British, and not slick enough. The closest I can think of are some of the falsetto-laden stuff like Tops or No Use In Crying.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 14, 2021 17:05

LieB
Naah ... the Stones aren't yacht rock at all. Some "older" groups went into that territory in the late 70s, like Crosby Stills & Nash, or The Beach Boys (around Love You?), but the Stones never sounded like it, not even in their schmaltziest electric piano disco phase. They're too loose, too "black", too British, and not slick enough. The closest I can think of are some of the falsetto-laden stuff like Tops or No Use In Crying.

Or perhaps, "Fool To Cry"

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 14, 2021 17:21

Wouldn't "Angie" fit in this category?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 14, 2021 20:18

BowieStone
Yacht rock is soft rock that embraced smoother R&B sensibilities in combination with layered vocal harmonies and state-of-the-art production.
Must have electric piano on it.

Think Steely Dan, Christopher Cross, Toto, Kenny Loggins, Gino Vannelli... acts like that.

You are correct. "Yacht Rock" is the new label for what was once called "Soft Rock"--that bland stuff you'd hear playing in a dentist waiting room. Bread was perhaps the first group to really define and own that turf.

There used to be an LA station that played that stuff with the slogan, "Rockin' You Softly." Which is a contradiction.

"Rockin' You Softly" is like saying "F**king You Limply!"

Back in the day, I remember a lot of good-looking girls who really LIKED this type of music. My question to the guys out there is, did you ever date or go with a girl whose tastes in music were horrendous, who loved stuff that you just could not stand?

If you did, were you able to respect yourself in the morning?

In the early 80's I worked with a good-looking woman who complained to me that her ex-husband only wanted to listen to Chuck Berry (which was kind of a rare, cool thing back then) in the car, while she liked... John Denver. I didn't know what to say. Part of me wanted to ask her out, but I just couldn't face the thought of having to subject myself to John Denver.

Even worse, she told me that years earlier she had seen Led Zeppelin in 1971 at the Forum, but was real ho-hum about it. It was just another date for her. What a great show that must have been, and what a waste of a ticket.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-14 23:42 by loog droog.

Date: February 14, 2021 22:29

Great stories, Loog Droog!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 15, 2021 00:36

"Yacht rock"? oh shit... You Americans are funny people.... Never heard the label before, but just from the semantics of it and the clues people are here giving I can only think that the Stones do not at all fit to the category. Put Maccas or whatever FabFours there it might do better (doesn't 'everybody' love - that is, not to be bothered by - soft-sounding, melody-driven Beatles, no?). Probably some of their easy-going, soft tunes might sound relevant ("Angie", "Fool To Cry", Keith's 'adult' ballads?), but they are way too 'difficult' and controversial to fit. Too much edge. Of course, some boring Hairball here tries to use this opportunity to bash Jagger in any way as possible - he is as predictable and cruel as the last US president as we know - but Mick's antics and music has always been way too controversial to please such easy-listening expectations. And people know, hear and recognize that. Mick's way too distinguished. Too much middle finger there (although they are mostly fingered towards too conservative, lazy, bored, racist (MAGA) rock audiences, but that's the potential audience for 'yacht rock' as well). Even in worst Mick's musical adventures - say, "Let's Work" - there's nothing yacht rock. He would run those people away shocked... Most likely anybody, but surely them...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-15 00:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 15, 2021 00:41

Haha what a shithead....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 15, 2021 05:48

I'm not a fan of Soft Rock (see above) and while some genres become more defined after the fact (like "Sunshine Pop") the term "Yacht Rock" seems like another pointless snarky label. (Not unlike "Dad Jokes")

Then there's these guys, who take the ball and run with it...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 15, 2021 06:57

For those unfamiliar with the term , the first words of my original opening post link you to the Wiki definition of Yacht Rock.

Also, Doxa, love much of your writings but I am certainly not from the USA

Date: February 15, 2021 09:42

It's a growing genre here, too, to the point that bands use it in their marketing (+ they dress the part). However, it's hard to tell how it differs from soft rock, musically.

Date: February 15, 2021 10:04

Keith .... Brian ..... Andrew --- Sydney ----- January 1965

ROCKMAN

Date: February 15, 2021 10:20

The Rolling Stones relax on Sydney Harbour 23 January 1965 ……..

ROCKMAN

Date: February 15, 2021 10:43

schoolboy ... Brian ... Andrew ..... Keith ...... Sydney ----- January 1965

ROCKMAN

Date: February 15, 2021 10:56

ROCKMAN

Date: February 15, 2021 11:24

Nice posts Rockman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-15 11:24 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: February 15, 2021 14:10

You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht ...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home