Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Chick Corea
Date: February 11, 2021 23:08

Jazz legend Chick Corea passed away today, after battling cancer. RIP!

Jazz musician Chick Corea dies aged 79 (BBC)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-12 12:00 by bv.

Re: OT: RIP Chick Corea
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 11, 2021 23:17

Sad. RIP Chick

Date: February 11, 2021 23:31

That's sad news. What an incredible musician he was. RIP Chick Corea †

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 11, 2021 23:34

Very sad news

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: February 11, 2021 23:36

Sad news
R.I.P. Chick Corea

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 11, 2021 23:47

Sad news. RIP Chick, and thank you for the music.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 12, 2021 00:16

RIP

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: February 12, 2021 00:17

Sad news indeed.
Very productive through the years and loads of musicians have been kinda educated by him.
In fact I listened to the entire album Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy as late as yesterday. Still fantastic!
Stones/Barbarians connection through the bass player Stanley Clarke!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 12, 2021 00:21

Sad news...

RIP Chick Corea

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: February 12, 2021 02:09

Right before beginning classes at Berklee, Fall of 1978, I was walking near the studio when I saw a bunch of folks moving equipment in for a recording session. Figuring I would get kicked out in about 10 seconds, but still wanting to see the inside of the studio, I slipped in behind them.

Sitting at the piano was Chick Corea, and Big Band great Woody Herman was coming down the steps from the control room. I went over and introduced myself to the drummer, mentioning that I, too, played Gretsch drums. He looked at me with excited surprise, telling me that Chick had written a big band piece for them, they were playing a Boston club, he had an exclusive contract with Gretsch, and might not be able to get his drums back to Berklee the next day due to some logistics.

Of course I said “my set is your set!” and I suddenly had a new friend!

The Road Manager, who I am convinced was initially walking towards me to kick me out, heard this conversation, and immediately I was his friend, too. They invited me to stick around, so I introduced myself to Chick and watched a two hour rehearsal sitting right next to his piano!

The funny thing about it was later, at dinner with my fellow Berklee friends. Everyone went around the table telling what they had done that day, and when my turn came, I said, “oh, not much, I spent the afternoon in the studio with Chick Corea and Woody Herman!!

Of course, they laughed and said, “yeah, right, that’s funny! No, seriously, what did you do today!” I’ll never forget that day.

R.I.P., Chick, and thanks for all the music.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 12, 2021 02:17

RIP... Chick Corea

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 12, 2021 04:33

Just seen this very sad news on BBC news here in UK.
Also read your tribute Mongoose, and he does seem to have been a lovely guy...........as well as a legendary talent in the world of music.

R.I.P. Chick Corea.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: February 12, 2021 08:47

Sad news !!!
RIP Chick Corea

my favorite album, Return to forever, 1972:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-12 09:56 by novica.

Date: February 12, 2021 10:07

That's a great story, Mongoose! thumbs up

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: February 12, 2021 10:12

R.I.P. jazz legend CHICK COREA.

I've met him once backstage here in The Netherlands in 2006. He was so kind and humble. He took his time and we've talked about his performance. Nice guy and a legend. Inspiration! I'm very sad about this! sad smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 12, 2021 11:22

A great story indeed by Mongoose - RIP Chick Corea.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 12, 2021 13:42

R.I.P.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: February 13, 2021 04:27

RIP!!

I sadly never saw him live, but I really dug him when I heard 'Return To Forever".

He played with Miles Davis (as also did Darry Jones) and had this fantastic band you can hear below, playing all acoustic in this song. I still ejoy hearing him playing with Gary Burton!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-14 03:19 by waterrats.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 13, 2021 17:09

Very nice, Mongoose.

RIP Chick Corea.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: February 13, 2021 17:27

Mongoose
Right before beginning classes at Berklee, Fall of 1978, I was walking near the studio when I saw a bunch of folks moving equipment in for a recording session. Figuring I would get kicked out in about 10 seconds, but still wanting to see the inside of the studio, I slipped in behind them.

Sitting at the piano was Chick Corea, and Big Band great Woody Herman was coming down the steps from the control room. I went over and introduced myself to the drummer, mentioning that I, too, played Gretsch drums. He looked at me with excited surprise, telling me that Chick had written a big band piece for them, they were playing a Boston club, he had an exclusive contract with Gretsch, and might not be able to get his drums back to Berklee the next day due to some logistics.

Of course I said “my set is your set!” and I suddenly had a new friend!

The Road Manager, who I am convinced was initially walking towards me to kick me out, heard this conversation, and immediately I was his friend, too. They invited me to stick around, so I introduced myself to Chick and watched a two hour rehearsal sitting right next to his piano!

The funny thing about it was later, at dinner with my fellow Berklee friends. Everyone went around the table telling what they had done that day, and when my turn came, I said, “oh, not much, I spent the afternoon in the studio with Chick Corea and Woody Herman!!

Of course, they laughed and said, “yeah, right, that’s funny! No, seriously, what did you do today!” I’ll never forget that day.

R.I.P., Chick, and thanks for all the music.

Wonderful story! A glory day Mongoose!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home