Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: And the 2021 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Are ....
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 11, 2021 05:24

Can it be like Major League Baseballwhere lots of nominees but no one gets in?

Of the list anything beyond Tina Turner, Foo Fighters and maybe Iron Maiden (although I think they suck) is a joke.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 11, 2021 05:24

If I was trying to stick to rock:

Foo Fighters (they don't deserve first ballot, or to be in at all, and I'm a big fan, but whatever. They're gonna get in at some point. Might as well get it over with)
Iron Maiden (long overdue)
Tina Turner (she's in for Ike and Tina, and thats probably all she should be, but she's Tina Turner. I don't know, I'm not super against it. She had a successful solo career)
Rage Against the Machine (not dying to see them in but one of the few bands from that time that truly made an impact)
Carole King (I think she's already in as a special award, but Carole King for a career is enough to honor)
New York Dolls (long overdue)
Todd Rundgren (I've never liked his solo career, but his career as a producer and helper and influencer in the general music sphere, there's more than enough to induct there)

I could understand an argument for Devo as well, gun to my head.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 11, 2021 08:24

Chester
loog droog
Finally, Dionne Warwick.

Finally, Chaka Kahn

Yes, but Warwick--unlike Chaka Khan--has never even been nominated before.

I'd say yes on Khan, Warwick, Carole King, Todd Rundgren, and the NY Dolls.

Date: February 11, 2021 10:54

RollingFreak
If I was trying to stick to rock:

Foo Fighters (they don't deserve first ballot, or to be in at all, and I'm a big fan, but whatever. They're gonna get in at some point. Might as well get it over with)
Iron Maiden (long overdue)
Tina Turner (she's in for Ike and Tina, and thats probably all she should be, but she's Tina Turner. I don't know, I'm not super against it. She had a successful solo career)
Rage Against the Machine (not dying to see them in but one of the few bands from that time that truly made an impact)
Carole King (I think she's already in as a special award, but Carole King for a career is enough to honor)
New York Dolls (long overdue)
Todd Rundgren (I've never liked his solo career, but his career as a producer and helper and influencer in the general music sphere, there's more than enough to induct there)

I could understand an argument for Devo as well, gun to my head.

Well, he did some excellent albums in the early 70s smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 11, 2021 12:07

I suppose Iron Maiden deserve their nomination. The're hugely influential in the metal scene. It's not a genre I know much about, but I recognise their impact. I like the Foo Fighters a fair bit, but they're mot Hall of Fame worthy, in my opinion. I like a handful of Jay-Z recordings; mostly his numerous collaborations, but he's not 'rock', so... The list is pretty cruddy overall. Dionne Warwick is only remembered for Walk on By and Tina Turner is already a member for her credible achievements with Ike. I like some Chaka Khan numbers and Carole King is a masterful songwriter, but, she's already been recognised for that, I understand. Is Tapestry enough for a nomination? I couldn't name a single recording by either the New York Dolls or Todd Rundgren. All I know about the former is that Morrissey is a huge fan and Johnny Thunders died of an overdose. They don't warrant their nomination.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2021 12:23

.... Still no recognition for Harmonica Frank ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: February 11, 2021 12:53

Tina Turner - AGREE!
Mary J. Blige - AGREE!
New York Dolls - AGREE!

The rest - DISAGREE.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 11, 2021 13:11

micawber
Tina Turner - AGREE!
Mary J. Blige - AGREE!
New York Dolls - AGREE!

The rest - DISAGREE.

I neglected to mention Mary J. Blige. I do like some of her releases, but I'm not sure if she's induction-worthy. The Breakthrough is a great album, however.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 11, 2021 14:16

To be honest, to give'The Hall of Fame' any credibility ,at least half of the nominees should have been there many years ago.
I guess they have it every year since way back,with just a certain amount of nominees get in it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 11, 2021 14:43

daspyknows

Can it be like Major League Baseball where there are lots of nominees but no one gets in?

Since it opened in 1936, 333 people have been inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. That's an average of four people per year. This year, no one got in. They set it up that way because it's supposed to be hard to get in. It's too late now, of course, but the Rock Hall should have followed their example.

Btw, how is it possible that Jethro Tull are still not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? To my knowledge, they've never even been nominated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-11 14:44 by tatters.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 11, 2021 14:58

Very much an American affair this. With the odd British (or Irish) contribution here and there.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: February 11, 2021 15:03

Maybe not exactly RnR, but Kate Bush is one of the most gifted artists in the list.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 11, 2021 15:49

Torres
Maybe not exactly RnR, but Kate Bush is one of the most gifted artists in the list.

thumbs up

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 11, 2021 18:41

Three Dog Night

Steppenwolf

The Guess Who

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 11, 2021 19:50

What does the Hall of Fame have against Harry Nilsson?

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 11, 2021 21:02

NICOS
Torres

thumbs up

agree.

in the interests of discussion, it does re-raise the Q of "what is Rn'R?"

Ice Cube weighed in during his acceptance speech (for NWA):

[ew.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Rock and roll is not an instrument, rock and roll is not even a style of music. Rock and roll is a spirit. It’s a spirit. It’s been going since the blues, jazz, bebop, soul, R&B, rock and roll, heavy metal, punk rock, and yes, hip-hop. And what connects us all is that spirit. That’s what connects us all, that spirit. Rock and roll is not conforming to the people who came before you, but creating your own path in music and in life

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 11, 2021 21:34

DGA35
They might as well change the name to Music Hall of Fame. JayZ? Be like the Stones getting inducted into a Rap Music Hall of Fame!

Agree, but even more-so, they might as well change the name to "Sustain a decent career HOF". It seems anyone/band can get in if they were okay for a few years.

For a true R'n'R HOF, it should be truly special acts, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Beatles, Stones, Who, LZ, maybe a few others. NOT Tina Turner solo (I'd even argue not Ike & Tina Turner, to me they were not HOF material - they have a "Best of" worth of good songs).

loog droog
Mott the Hoople. (AND Ian Hunter solo!)

Now that I would agree on!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 11, 2021 21:53

I nominate iron maiden for the hip hop hall of fame. I mean fair is fair right?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 11, 2021 22:18

LeonidP
DGA35
They might as well change the name to Music Hall of Fame. JayZ? Be like the Stones getting inducted into a Rap Music Hall of Fame!

Agree, but even more-so, they might as well change the name to "Sustain a decent career HOF". It seems anyone/band can get in if they were okay for a few years.

For a true R'n'R HOF, it should be truly special acts, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Beatles, Stones, Who, LZ, maybe a few others. NOT Tina Turner solo (I'd even argue not Ike & Tina Turner, to me they were not HOF material - they have a "Best of" worth of good songs).

loog droog
Mott the Hoople. (AND Ian Hunter solo!)

Now that I would agree on!

is there such a thing?

maybe that's the problem...we don't have HOFs for different genres?

do we? I really don't know, which is my own ignorance.

maybe that's why they lump them all into Rn'R? B/c what Ice Cube says is "true" to an extent? (see my previous post)...and without a specific HOF, then where should/can rappers/hip-hop get canonized?

I mean...that's what makes sports easy, right? They are easily divisible and there is no debate about "hey, that's not baseball!!"

.....I think there is a Country HOF, but don't quote me.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 11, 2021 22:25

There is a hip hop hof in New York.

Date: February 12, 2021 02:54

shadooby
There is a hip hop hof in New York.

then there is definitely an argument to be made against some of the entries/nominees to the RnR HOF....

I still think Tina Turner gets in...in a landslide.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 12, 2021 03:11

Fela Kuti? Fantastic African musician, bandleader, actual revolutionary, but rock and roll? These people been smoking that wack African bush weed. Do they even know who these people are?

jb

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 12, 2021 09:08

The decision making process is basically flawed.

It got really bad when they started broadcasting the ceremony, In the early years, you just saw a few brief clips of what looked like a really fun party on Entertainment Tonight, When MTV picked it up, the selections began to be driven by the idea that they were programming a TV show. A little of this, a little of that...something for everyone.

What's inescapable is that there is no objective standard for rock music. Rock n roll has always been judged by what is "cool" rather than what is "good."

Cool is an arbitrary thing. It can change a lot over time. I've seen bands go from cool, to not cool, and then back again. I think that dynamic has really slowed down in the last 30 years, as careers seem to last way longer than they did in the 60's and 70's, when the music scene was constantly evolving.

A lot of famous bands were kept out of the HoF by critics who thought they were not cool. Which is judging by the standard of the schoolyard--they weren't among the popular kids.

In recent years the HoF has been holding their nose and finally after many years admitting groups like Chicago, Deep Purple, the Moody Blues, Yes, and Rush...acts that sold millions but the gate-keepers wouldn't let in. What stinks about that is that when they finally got around to it, it was too late for the recently departed Jon Lord and Chris Squire.

Whoever picked Fela Kuti is just a tragic hipster. If you want to go international, Jamaica is a lot closer to the rock scene... how the hell did Toots Hibbert--the guy who invented the word "reggae"-- never get the nod?

And what about RICK JAMES?? (I feel I should add, "bitch" to that...) He sold a ton of albums for Motown and bridged a lot of styles...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-12 17:23 by loog droog.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home