Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ballad of Easy Rider - John Hurlbut and Jorma Kaukonen
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 6, 2021 21:22

A meditation through two guys and acoustic guitars. Something to sit back, watch, listen to and enjoy. Beautifully done, IMHO. Jorma was a member of the Jefferson Airplane and is a member of Hot Tuna. Would love to see the Stones (and others) do something like this for some of their songs or tunes they particularly like.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Ballad of Easy Rider - John Hurlbut and Jorma Kaukonen
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 7, 2021 02:26

It seems we tend to forget that the two guys in the movie were financing their trip by smuggling dope from Mexico to the US. Instead, the focal moral point becomes the scene in the end where one of the rednecks in the lorry fires his gun at one of the bikers and shoots him dead.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 7, 2021 02:50

So you are saying they deserved it for smuggling a little powder and trying to be free?

jb

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 7, 2021 04:09

Didn't even think about the movie Easy Rider when I watched this. Easy Rider was a movie of its time and doing drugs was a part of that time for a number of people. I just dug this video because of the guitar playing and the imagery in the video. The video made me think of how beautiful the land is in the United States and how we all should give it a looksie at some point in our lives. I have fond memories of driving across the country and taking in places usually bypassed through driving the interstates. It's not continuous, but there are still parts of the old Route 66 one can drive along and get a look at what others saw when they rode the Mother Road.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: February 7, 2021 07:20

noughties
It seems we tend to forget that the two guys in the movie were financing their trip by smuggling dope from Mexico to the US. Instead, the focal moral point becomes the scene in the end where one of the rednecks in the lorry fires his gun at one of the bikers and shoots him dead.

If there's a "focal moral point" it's when "Captain America" tells Billy "we blew it." As in the counterculture. Anyway always loved the Byrds' "Ballad of Easy Rider" and this video is nice.

Date: February 7, 2021 16:14

jbwelda
So you are saying they deserved it for smuggling a little powder and trying to be free?jb

Was I saying that? No. However, I remember being so blended by the visuals as a teenager, even seeing the movie more than once, that I didn`t get that important premise at the beginning of the movie. It seemed they earned a lot of money. They hid it all in a rubber hose curled up in the fuel tank of the bike.

Btw, in connection with the storming of the congress the 6th of January, and in view of the US we see in Easy Rider, I`ve learned the US has changed a lot since the 80s. But that`s another story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-07 16:17 by noughties.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 7, 2021 17:40

Always loved this song by the Byrds-- spoke with Mcguinn once via e-mail and he told me that Bob Dylan and he wrote the song together, but that Dylan let him have all the writing credits.
Like this version of the song !

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 7, 2021 19:39

>the US has changed a lot since the 80s

I am more confused now...what does any of this have to do with the 80s?

jb

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 7, 2021 19:51

My friend Bob Sarles directed and edited this.
Great job!

[ravinfilms.com]

Date: February 7, 2021 20:57

jbwelda
>the US has changed a lot since the 80s

I am more confused now...what does any of this have to do with the 80s?jb

I hope I`m getting away with this; -nothing, as I said, that`s another story.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 8, 2021 23:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-10 05:11 by colonial.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home