Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Did the Stones had the right people at the right time?
Posted by: stillife ()
Date: February 4, 2021 18:14

There has been an endless discussion on what was the best period of the Stones many times associated with the guitar player of a certain period. I consider that Mick Taylor contributed a lot for the best period of the band, but in retrospective I think they had the right people at the right time. Brian Jones provided a multitude of creative sonority but would not be able to deliver the guitar creativity of Mick Taylor.
On the other hand many consider that Ron Wood was not the best option to replace Taylor. I think he gave a huge contribution to the sound of Some Girls and 78 and 81 tours, which I also really like. I really dont think Mick Taylor would fit in the 1978-82 period. Any thoughts?

Re: Did the Stones had the right people at the right time?
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 4, 2021 18:37

stillife
There has been an endless discussion on what was the best period of the Stones many times associated with the guitar player of a certain period. I consider that Mick Taylor contributed a lot for the best period of the band, but in retrospective I think they had the right people at the right time. Brian Jones provided a multitude of creative sonority but would not be able to deliver the guitar creativity of Mick Taylor.
On the other hand many consider that Ron Wood was not the best option to replace Taylor. I think he gave a huge contribution to the sound of Some Girls and 78 and 81 tours, which I also really like. I really dont think Mick Taylor would fit in the 1978-82 period. Any thoughts?
Why couldn’t Taylor have fit in 1978-1982? Respectable isn’t much different from Rip this Joint or Star Star.Miss You isn’t much different from Fingerprint File.Maybe there might have been a few more adventurous songs.And Wood could have fit in 1969-1974.He played on the 1975 tourand continues to play Taylor era songs.Both are rock/blues players.Robert Fripp probably wouldn’t have fit in either era.

Date: February 4, 2021 19:10

Taylor1
stillife
Why couldn’t Taylor have fit in 1978-1982? Respectable isn’t much different from Rip this Joint or Star Star.Miss You isn’t much different from Fingerprint File.Maybe there might have been a few more adventurous songs.And Wood could have fit in 1969-1974.He played on the 1975 tourand continues to play Taylor era songs.Both are rock/blues players.Robert Fripp probably wouldn’t have fit in either era.

In a way, we hear how Taylor fitted in on those songs on the Kansas 1981-show where he guested. He's great on stuff like Black Limousine, but not so much on Beast Of Burden and Imagination, imo.

Then again, it was just one show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-04 21:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 4, 2021 20:37

Yes they did. Else the band would not be around anymore ...
When I read the thread title I thought it was about "other people" involved with the band, like managers, promotors, producers, friends, other musicians, etc., etc.
Brian at some point had the wrong people around him and it ruined him (because he couldn't handle life all by himself).
Mick Taylor is a different story. So is Ronnie. The latter has a lot to thank to Mick Jagger, who was strong and capable to deal with Ronnie's problems at the right time.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 4, 2021 20:46

Some were right people at the right time, then there's also wrong people who just kept coming back

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: February 4, 2021 20:47

The answer to that question is yes.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 4, 2021 21:13

We’ll never know how the band would have sounded with other players. So yes.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 4, 2021 21:53

They might have found a better guitarist than Wood, or gone with rotating guitarists. But without him, they probably wouldn't have survived as a band.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 5, 2021 13:47

wonderboy
They might have found a better guitarist than Wood, or gone with rotating guitarists. But without him, they probably wouldn't have survived as a band.

Wood was a non-entity on stage for a stretch, and then with the 2012 on band, he's become crucial. As Keith fades, its Ronnie who has picked up the slack.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2021 14:06

With Richard's huge ego I don't know if a better guitarist than Wood had been possible. Wood adapted instantly though. He is a fast learner, Wood.
In a way I think he was the perfect choice. Pity about all the drugs though. They didn't add anything. On the contrary.

Date: February 5, 2021 14:23

Stoneage
With Richard's huge ego I don't know if a better guitarist than Wood had been possible. Wood adapted instantly though. He is a fast learner, Wood.
In a way I think he was the perfect choice. Pity about all the drugs though. They didn't add anything. On the contrary.

I'd say both Brian and Taylor adapted well, too smiling smiley

Both the Stones's second guitarists found their role nicely in the band.

What do you mean by Keith's huge ego, btw, was it something you think escalated when Wood joined the band?

Keith was the band's lead guitarist in the Brian era, focused more on riffs in the Taylor era and became an "equal" when Wood joined (also because he decided to play way less in open G-tuning). That's the way I hear them anyway.

In the studio, Mick and Keith have an extra ownership to their songs and are the producers, hence they embellish stuff, wipe some, add some. Not to be mixed up with being egotistical, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-05 14:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 5, 2021 21:14

Nighttime is the right time......

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 5, 2021 21:31

Ronnie with the Stones is more image and attitude than actual skill, and his happy-go-lucky clown-like character is a feature that many fans really like.
The Some Girls album wouldn't have sounded the same without him, but there's a good chance it might have sounded better with a proper guitar player.
He was great in The Faces, but then something happened to him and his playing where he ended up taking a back seat into anonymity without any true signature style.
Can't help but think it was all the drugs and drinking that had an adverse affect on him, but when all is said and done he eventually overcame it all.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 5, 2021 22:24

What if after leaving the Stones, Mick Taylor had joined up with Rod Stewart? That would have been an interesting switcherroo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-05 22:24 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 5, 2021 22:54

I believe that, due to the different phases of the band's development during their eras, both Brian and Mick Taylor helped define how the Stones were to sound, Mick Taylor even as much as to make Keith to some extent adapt to Mick Taylor, Brian by mastering various instruments ( maybe also having lost some of his confidence in his guitar playing(?)).

In contrast, Ron Wood apparently(?) was brought in at a later phase to find ways taking up threads from their careeer in order to continue the manner the Stones had been defined to sound, even when he was participating in making new original Rolling Stones music in a Pathe Marconi context. If this was also out of his own choice, or solely what was demanded from him, I don't know, some other posters possibly do. Only when Keith got his problems by his hands, Ronnie has been given room to step forward and really shine, at that time made possible also by himself having overcome his own drug problem, even if Ronnie's contribution seems to be still within the defined style from before his becoming a Rolling Stone.

Date: February 5, 2021 23:04

<Only when Keith got his problems by his hands, Ronnie has been given room to step forward and really shine>

I suggest that you'll have a good listen to the 1975, 1976, 1978, 1981 and 1982-tours smiling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 5, 2021 23:16

DandelionPowderman

I suggest that you'll have a good listen to the 1975, 1976, 1978, 1981 and 1982-tours smiling smiley

OK!

What I was thinking about, was as the leading guitarist of the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-05 23:17 by Witness.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 5, 2021 23:49

ryanpow
What if after leaving the Stones, Mick Taylor had joined up with Rod Stewart? That would have been an interesting switcherroo.
Paul McCartney or Lennon would have been more interesting.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 6, 2021 11:15

Controversial opinions follow.

Yes and no. Due to his deteriorating mental state, Brian was a big liability long before they dismissed him. Allen Klein opened their eyes to the possibility of making a lot more money than previously considered, but they ended up losing the rights to their entire catalogue prior to 1970 to him. I will forever remain a big Mick Taylor fan and think he could have taken the RS to even greater heights had he not left.

The worst influences in my opinion were ANITA PALLENBERG and Bianca Jagger. Anita pulled Keith into her toxic world of heroin addiction and craziness. Keith himself admitted he he would have been more creative and productive had he not been consumed by addiction.

In addition to Keith's estrangement from Mick due to Anita's infidelity with him, both in Performance and at Nellcote, Bianca was a major cause cause of the rift between Mick and Keith's r'ship, which never recovered. Her values differed from Keith's and he hated her. Anita, through her jealousy of Bianca, encouraged this. The result can be seen in the significantly lower quality of Goat's Head Soup compared to the earlier recent output.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 6, 2021 16:06

I read the topic as "people in the Stones orbit tour and studio" because when talking about band members it can only be a thread about the adequacy of Ron Wood

Date: February 6, 2021 16:57

Of course they had.. History has proven it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 6, 2021 17:32

Bliss
Controversial opinions follow.

Yes and no. Due to his deteriorating mental state, Brian was a big liability long before they dismissed him. Allen Klein opened their eyes to the possibility of making a lot more money than previously considered, but they ended up losing the rights to their entire catalogue prior to 1970 to him. I will forever remain a big Mick Taylor fan and think he could have taken the RS to even greater heights had he not left.

The worst influences in my opinion were ANITA PALLENBERG and Bianca Jagger. Anita pulled Keith into her toxic world of heroin addiction and craziness. Keith himself admitted he he would have been more creative and productive had he not been consumed by addiction.

In addition to Keith's estrangement from Mick due to Anita's infidelity with him, both in Performance and at Nellcote, Bianca was a major cause cause of the rift between Mick and Keith's r'ship, which never recovered. Her values differed from Keith's and he hated her. Anita, through her jealousy of Bianca, encouraged this. The result can be seen in the significantly lower quality of Goat's Head Soup compared to the earlier recent output.

All good points, Bliss

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 6, 2021 18:03

They needed a manager They operated in chaos for about 20 years until Mick got the right people around him. Keith, top.
Of course some of their best work was done in chaos, so maybe not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home