Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RS Ticket prices after the crisis
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: February 2, 2021 06:35

I wonder if there will be any big shows (stadiums etc) before everything about vaccines will be totally secure, I don´t think so.

But: Apart from thoughts about bands like the Stones (every year these 4 lads are able to tour) I imagine it could be a disastrous rise of ticket prices, specially when gigs can´t happen in front of 40-70 000 people like before.

Re: RS Ticket prices after the crisis
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 2, 2021 07:16

The price of tickets will still be dictated by market prices. Rolling Stones would still be able to get high prices but a band that typically has 50 dollar, gbp or euro tickets will not be charging 200 dollar, gbp or euros.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 2, 2021 13:40

Ticket-prices for the Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney could be sky-high then since it'll be one the last times when they'll be on stage. FOS-Ticket for Paul McCartney was already € 1,132.00 for 2020 - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 2, 2021 13:47

One step at a time , lets get thru the pandemic first and then everything will fall into place .

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 2, 2021 13:51

If they, (I don't think it will happen but anyway...), decide to resume their canceled US tour I don't think they will raise ticket prices significantly. It wouldn't look good.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 2, 2021 18:15

Beyond prices...HOW will shows work?

If say 25% of people refuse vaccinations and we are dealing with at best 95% efficacy rate; somewhere around 30%+ of any audience will be able to be infected at any point.

It seems hard to imagine shoulder to shoulder gigs (clubs/theaters) happening with around 1/3 of the crowd susceptible to infection and 1/20 not knowing that they are susceptible (but know they could be).

To me...these seem like best case numbers. How does the Troubadour operate like this? The Roxy? Fonda? Teragram?

Date: February 2, 2021 19:05

sdstonesguy

Maybe access only for vaccinated - as some Airlines want(ed) to do ....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 2, 2021 19:59

Irix
sdstonesguy

How could that work for a rescheduled US Stones tour (or other rescheduled tours) where many are holding on to pre-bought tickets, and no doubt some of them will not get the vaccine?
Just another problem of many to look forward to if the tour ever does get rescheduled which becomes even more doubtful as time marches on imo.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 2, 2021 20:49

Irix
sdstonesguy

my understanding is that - at least for the USA - unless there is a federal mandate requiring vaccination-for-entry, then it will be up to the individual states, cities and/or arenas to decide...

I have no idea how things work in other countries.

However, this is a legal conundrum that we are going to have to face at some time or another...

I imagine the "no vaccine, no school" is gonna be the first fight...and the ugliest.

As for prices - they'll be absurd, except for LDs...regardless, I look forward to getting back to reading (and bitching) about the prices of Stones Tix

...though, I honestly think those days are over.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: February 12, 2021 06:23

Irix
Ticket-prices for the Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney could be sky-high then since it'll be one the last times when they'll be on stage. FOS-Ticket for Paul McCartney was already € 1,132.00 for 2020 - [iorr.org] .

Hey, what gigs were that, was it the USA?
I couldn´t believe it was possible to get 2 tickets á 160 € (FOS!!!) at the Macca Open Air in Nijmegen Netherlands. (29th May 2020)
I was walking on stardust a few weeks, and then along came Covid 19....

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 12, 2021 08:44

This is just looking for things to worry about. Nobody's going to have to be concerned about ticket prices any time soon, and there are way more pressing problems in the meantime.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 12, 2021 12:01

RawIguanaCologne
Irix

I couldn´t believe it was possible to get 2 tickets á 160 € (FOS!!!) at the Macca Open Air in Nijmegen Netherlands. (29th May 2020)
I was walking on stardust a few weeks, and then along came Covid 19....

well, pit tickets for Arnheim were just 225 Euros (and you got 3 out of 5 original band members instead of one out of four). Except for that show I never payed more than 70 Euros for pit ticket (LD of course)

Date: February 12, 2021 13:40

In NY State , the Governor has given the green light on events to resume with the Buffalo Bills playoff model of mandatory testing within 3 days of the event and 10% seating capacity . So for instance NBA Basketball and NHL Hockey - the season ticket holders will have first crack at the 10% of available tickets and will likely use them up . Now if you took that model for a concert I don't think the math works were the booking agent turns a profit , ditto for the artist . I forgot to mention that of course there will be mandatory distancing for the fans attending where everything will be marked off . Safety first !

Date: February 12, 2021 13:51

RawIguanaCologne

No, in Hannover (Germany), HDI-Arena (former Niedersachsenstadion). High Ticket-prices due to Dynamic Pricing (Ticketmaster as well as Eventim) - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: February 12, 2021 14:09

TheGreek
In NY State , the Governor has given the green light on events to resume with the Buffalo Bills playoff model of mandatory testing within 3 days of the event and 10% seating capacity . So for instance NBA Basketball and NHL Hockey - the season ticket holders will have first crack at the 10% of available tickets and will likely use them up . Now if you took that model for a concert I don't think the math works were the booking agent turns a profit , ditto for the artist . I forgot to mention that of course there will be mandatory distancing for the fans attending where everything will be marked off . Safety first !

Similar to football (or soccer) in England in autumn of last year in sone safer areas. Suppose the difference from gigs is that elite sport ticket revenue is small beer compared to tv money, ie the game is happening anyway. Whereas economics of touring based on full houses

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 12, 2021 14:52

Irix
RawIguanaCologne

No, in Hannover (Germany), HDI-Arena (former Niedersachsenstadion). High Ticket-prices due to Dynamic Pricing (Ticketmaster as well as Eventim) - [iorr.org] .

well, the regular (i.e. not VIP) price for pit tickets was 799 Euros in Germany (without dynamic pricing)

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: February 12, 2021 15:40

Look into the crystal ball and you will know

Date: February 12, 2021 16:34

yorkshirestone
TheGreek

Similar to football (or soccer) in England in autumn of last year in sone safer areas. Suppose the difference from gigs is that elite sport ticket revenue is small beer compared to tv money, ie the game is happening anyway. Whereas economics of touring based on full houses
Exactly , the touring concert industry is taking a big hit in the pocket ( remember it used to be the other way around where the fans were regularly gouged thru their eyeballs )

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 12, 2021 16:46

RawIguanaCologne
I wonder if there will be any big shows (stadiums etc)

Maybe Jagger will take the problem by the other end? Instead of dealing with 70000 gathered in one place (a nightmare) he'll go the other way? A tour of theaters : 2000 people every night, carefully diagnosed before show day as being Covid-negative. Inside the venue it'll be party time.

The price of a ticket for such a show? Don't ask! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: February 12, 2021 17:00

I still have my Lucky Dips from 2020. IF, by ANY miracle whatsoever I am able to use them logic and time dictate it will be for my last ever Stones shows. I never need to see McCartney again. Hopefully the band/venue/promoter troika will ease off on the "dynamic pricing" they were employing in the year before covid. If not, I've seen everybody.

Date: February 12, 2021 17:15

slewan

well, the regular (i.e. not VIP) price for pit tickets was 799 Euros in Germany (without dynamic pricing)

Yes, but I had clearly differentiated between the Stones (€ 799, Pit) and Paul McCartney (€ 1132, FOS, Dynamic Pricing) - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: February 12, 2021 19:25

I've bought a ticket TW CLASSIC for Mc Cartney in Werchter (Belgium) 21june 2020 all cost included (fos) Golden ticket for 150 Euro.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 12, 2021 19:42

Posted this NJ.com interview w/US promoter John Scher in the Stones postponed tour thread several days ago, but also relevant here:

Ticket Prices, etc.

John Scher: ...what happens with shows that have a lot of tickets (already) sold, and the governors come through and say, “OK, you can do shows,” but the (normal) capacity at a MetLife is, say, 50,000? And you’ve got them all sold? Well, you’re going to have to refund them all and switch it around. And the capacity can only be, say, 30,000, and you’ve got to skip every two seats, or something like that.

NJ: That sounds like a total nightmare.

John Scher: Oh, a complete nightmare. So I don’t think things will come back to relative normal until herd immunity is achieved. Even then, I think the 40-plus audience is going to be a little more hesitant to go back at first. The kids, they’ll jump back. And hopefully they’ll be able to jump back safely.

NJ: Considering how many people are starved for live entertainment, do you foresee ticket prices skyrocketing with increased demand, especially for acts with younger audiences dying to go back?

John Scher: Well, the other side of that coin is that this is the highest unemployment rate in 50 years. If people haven’t had a job for eight, 10 months, they just might not have the money to go. In the past, as ticket prices rose, an average middle-class person might say, ‘I’ve got to go see such and such a show. I’ll skip lunch for a week.’ Now the decision is ‘Do I have the electricity turned off? Or do I go see a concert?’

First of all, promoters have virtually no say in what the ticket price is. It’s one of the great myths. The ticket prices are completely controlled by the artist, their managers and agents. A promoter can say, ‘no, I don’t want to charge $250 for a ticket.’ I think they will be resistant. But Live Nation, in most cases, will do it.

My hope is that the acts, their agents and managers take this whole picture into account. I know the acts haven’t been making any money either. You’ve got to eat. But especially the ones that are huge acts and are very wealthy, they could back down. Maybe you could still have a small number of tickets that are high. But the bulk of the tickets need to be, in my view, between $40 and $70.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1253
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home