Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: your top 5 stones songs
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 8, 2021 23:16

Rocks Off - Original Exile version
Tumbling Dice - Live version from the Wild Horses single ‘95
Midnight Rambler - Get Yer Ya Yas version
Start Me Up - Original Tattoo You version
Jumpin’ Jack Flash = Live version from Bridges to Buenos Aires

Tomorrow the list might be different, but these fibe will always be among my all time favorites.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: backofmyhand ()
Date: February 10, 2021 17:48

nice

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: February 11, 2021 12:51

Album versions:
1. Start Me Up (my first Stones single, never will forget hearing it the first time at full volume, was impressed right from the intro)
2. Brown Sugar (Rock'n'Roll at it's best)
3. Honky Tonk Women (drum sound, simplicity, melody, guitar sound)
4, Worried About You (just cool)
5. Doom & Gloom (late classic, the energy of the recording never came over live, sadly)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-11 12:51 by micawber.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 12, 2021 02:04

The Top Five Ever:

Honky Tonk
Gimme Shelter
Paint It Black
Beast of Burden
(too many to choose from)

Top Five at Various Times in My Life

Rocks Off
Tumbling Dice
Torn and Frayed
Stop Breaking Down
Shine a Light

Once were Top Five

Miss You (extended versions)
Jig Saw Puzzle
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Let It Bleed
Citadel
2000 Man

Top Five ever will always have Honky Tonk as number one. I don't play it anymore as I over played it.

Exile will always be my favorite Stones album. I purposely put it away for a year or two at a time and then play it over and over. I don't want to wear Exile out like I did with Honky Tonk.

Favorite lead solos can be a list

Dance Little Sister
Heartbreaker
Sympathy(s)
It's All Over Now

Songs I was totally in love with and couldn't stop playing when I first got the album

Tie You Up
Too Tight
All the Way Down
Stray Cat Blues
Let Me Down Slow
Tumbling Dice
Start Me Up
Beast of Burden
Brown Sugar (Love You Live)
Citadel
Spider and the Fly
Rt 66 (live)
Heartbreaker
Star Star

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 12, 2021 03:19

Moonlight Mile
Loving Cup
Some Girls
Bitch
Monkey Man.

I love the warhorses, they just aren’t my favorite songs

6-10
Slave
Rocks Off
Shattered
Fingerprint File
Shine a Light

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: February 16, 2021 04:12

DandelionPowderman
TravellinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravellinMan
Empty Heart
Under the Boardwalk
It Must Be Hell
She Said Yeah
Miss Amanda Jones

A Taylor-free list with two covers? smoking smiley

Yes. I guess I am showing my age. But 6 and 7 are Hand of Fate and Time Waits for No One. My list does get worse after that though. 8 is It Must Be Hell. Taylor vs Wood? I prefer Brian.

thumbs up

I've been going there (Brian) myself in recent years.

PS: It Must Be Hell seems to have climbed on your list..

oops, showing my age in another way. Needed a nap.

Number three should have been It's Not Easy from Aftermath.

Empty Heart
Under the Boardwalk
It's Not Easy
She Said Yeah
Miss Amanda Jones

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 16, 2021 04:59

Studio

1. Rocks Off
2. Let It Bleed
3. Jigsaw Puzzle
4. Just Wanna See His Face
5. Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Live

1. Let It Rock
2. Live With Me (Ya Yas)
3. Jumping Jack Flash (Leeds)
4. Street Fighting Man (Brussels Affair)
5. Spider & the Fly (Paradiso)

Bonus (Boot Trax):

Uptight/Satisfaction - Philly 72 (Work Sucks, Let's Go on Tour)
Hey Crawdaddy (Olympia 65)
Jumping Jack Flash (Saville 69)

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: February 16, 2021 08:20

It seems like the Stones are doing everything right with the Warhorses+1-rarity-setlists!

Mine in random order (it was a very very close call with the rest of tge discography....):

Paint it, Black
One Hit (to the body)
Gimme Shelter
Time waits for no one
Hold on to your hat

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 16, 2021 11:28

5. Worried About You
4. Coming Down Again
3. Slipping Away
2. Hand Of Fate
1. Tumblin' Dice

Leaving off stuff like Midnight Rambler, All Down The Line, Stray Cat Blues, Beast Of Burden, Hang Fire, Jig-Saw Puzzle, Under My Thumb, If You Can't Rock Me, Gimme Shelter, Oh No Not You Again, Rock And A Hard Place and I Go Wild is hard but 5 songs are 5 songs.
Tough tough tough!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 16, 2021 11:30

Hey Negrita/Hand of Fate (terrific songs)
We Love You
Honky Tonk Woman
Monkey Man
Child of the moon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-16 11:31 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 16, 2021 12:27

This needs some serious self-reflection. I try to be as subjective as I can be, consulting my memory and pick up the songs that somehow has mean to me more than others during all these years and decades. Not that they are absolutely the best songs I think the Stones have done (that would make at least slightly different list). I put them more or less in a chronological order as I get to know/like them.

1. Paint It Black (original single)

This is a song I liked before (a) I was a Stones fan, (b) I didn't even know the band in question was the Stones (before I spotted it in one television ad for a Stones best of collection). Having heard in a radio or somewhere it just stuck into my mind. A haunting, magical, threatening melody. Wonderful cold and aggressive sounding vocal delivery. First got it from (infamous) STONE AGE collection that probably was my second Stones album after TATTOO YOU - it was a pleasent surprise, since I didn't know even the title of the song. Still the original studio version gives me shivers everytime I hear it. Beautifully produced and arranged; there is some eternal majesty and mystery in it. I never been a big fan of any of its live versions. I always feel something is lacking there - like they don't quite grasp the whole potentiality or the point of it no matter how close they try to ape the original (or the potentiality or point just is in my mind). Is it the soul and presence of Brian missing? Anyway, in masterpiece class of unique and untypical, lyrical sounding Stones songs, I think only "Gimme Shelter" and "Sympathy For The Devil" belong to the same category.

2. Start Me Up (TATTOO YOU)

Well, this song is the very reason I became a fan. Can there be any more merit?grinning smiley Hooked by the very moment I saw it in the form of video in tele. The music, the guys... Off to store to buy TATTOO YOU and the rest is history. Even though in its brutal simplicity - and due to over-play - it sometimes bores me, and I don't listen at home willingly almost ever any longer, I cannot help how the song still affects me when I randonly hear it (a radio, sports event standard still) - always reminds me why I love this band. It is a kind of Stones For Dummies (like me) - the classic Stones sound in a textbook form; it represents the skeleton of more ambitious and genius classics of "Honky Tonk Women", "Brown Sugar" and "Satisfaction" in one simple package. What the Stones truely and naked are all about. No any band can do such miracles from such small elements. Yeah, it is more of a sound than a song.

3. Rocks Off (EXILE ON MAIN STREET)

I am more than serious when I claim that this is the best rock and roll song studio recording ever. Not that it sets the perfect party mood for EXILE, but it tells all that is needed what the spirit and sound (noise) of rock and roll is all about. Just in one song. Not the greatest song an sich or by any of its individual parts, but put together it is more than perfect. It's bloody all there (even though I still doesn't quite recognize from the noise what all there is really going on...). From the raunchy intro riff by Keith accompanied by Mick's lazy "oh yeah" to the orgastic cacophony of the screaming chorus, Jag's more than inspired, edgy, sexy, arrogant vocal delivery throughout, and all that backed by the groove of Charlie, Bill, Nicky and Keith, the horns, to Taylor's outro solo.... blues rock, 50's rock and roll, country feel, 70's decadence... sex, sex, sex (and drugs)! Like I said, put that into school books if only one example is needed to explain rock and roll (with the sticker 'For Adult Minds Only'). And only the mighty Stones - and also them only in the peak of their powers - could have done it. Loved it by first listening and still today this is the song everytime I hear it puts my spirits up and energy-level high. Pure elixir of life.

4. Midnight Rambler (LIVE, BRUSSELS AFFAIR)

This is the best recorded live performance by any rock act ever. A haunting, transcendental performance - no guitar-driven blues-based rock music can be played any better. They always deliver the song convincingly, and there are incredible individual performances of it, but this is THE crown jewel. Still recall the first listening. I was almost not to believe my ears - can they really be that good! (I knew and loved the song from LET IT BLEED and YA-YA'S but this surpassed everything)! It has been the criterion of brilliance in rock music for me ever since. I very rarely listen it nowadays, since it asks so much from the listener as well, and I am not getting any younger... Riffmaster Keith's best hour as a live guitarist, and Taylor's not bad either, to put it mildly, Jagger's vocal performance is out of this world - how his voice stands it?... I am running out of words... (it is the old bootleg version - first BEDSPRING SYMPOHNY, then BRUSSELS AFFAIR DELUXE EDITION or what it was called - that is my main reference. The official version is awesome as well, but I prefer the dynamism of old mixes with more front, fatter guitars, especially by Taylor).

5. Winter (GOATS HEAD SOUP)

Now, this is a Stones song I probably listen nowadays - last ten years or so - more than any of their songs individually (especially during wintertime). I could say that it has 'grown on me', to use the old, over-used slogan, but that's not quite true since I did like it initially as well. But as I got more older the song seems to affect me more and more. It expresses such emotions and sentiments that no any other Stones do. They almost sound like mature...grinning smiley The heart of it is the co-work of of Two Micks. Jagger's nuance-rich delivery is one of his strongest ever (and I cannot think any other singing like that, although there is some Van Morrison-influence), and Taylor's lyrical guitar part might be the best one he - or any guitarist - ever has done. Both speak straight to my soul. They both use such a simple template - it really isn't that much of a song to begin with - with such a finesse and mastery that only the best musicians can do.

Huh, that was big task. But nice to do! Thank you!

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-16 13:28 by Doxa.

Date: February 16, 2021 13:43

It's only now that I see it's about Stones intros and not music in general.I suffer from Alzheimer-Lite confused smiley

I like melodic intros best since Keith's "hammer" intros are always good.

- The last time.

- Memo from Turner if that counts.

- Moonlight Mile.

- Time waits for no one.

- Plundered my Soul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-16 13:47 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 16, 2021 13:51

A wrong thread maybe, TheflyingDutchman?

- Doxa

Date: February 16, 2021 13:52

Wrong thread in my head. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-16 13:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: EggersBand ()
Date: February 16, 2021 14:02

Out of time
Gimmie shelter
Angie
Wild horses
Honky tonk

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 16, 2021 14:12

Impossible task. Always depends on my mood

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 16, 2021 19:28

1. Gomper
2. Suck On the Jugular
3. Back to Zero
4. Already Over Me/Always Suffering
5. Sex Drive

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 17, 2021 07:07

CYMH
Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off
Monkey Man
Midnight Rambler

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 17, 2021 08:13

tomcat2006
1. Gomper
2. Suck On the Jugular
3. Back to Zero
5. Sex Drive

Don't forget "Anyway you look at it".

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: February 18, 2021 21:45

KRiffhard
Hey Negrita/Hand of Fate (terrific songs)
We Love You
Honky Tonk Woman
Monkey Man
Child of the moon
I wanted to comment on Doxa’s entry, this very interesting and well written.
Start me up was I think my first Stones song , then I have subsequently enjoyed the excitement in the live versions. Some say they get tire of it, I actually don’t!!

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: February 18, 2021 21:46

Sorry I see I highlighted the wrong bit.. sorry!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 23, 2021 17:38

1. Ruby Tuesday
2. Almost Hear You Sigh
3. Out Of Time
4. Thru & Thru
5. The Last Time

Tough, tough, tough to do just five, and as many said, it could be different tomorrow, but 1 and 2 will not change....

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: February 23, 2021 18:39

Gimme Shelter
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Street Fighting Man (Live Version from GYYYO)
Out of Time
Rocks Off

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 24, 2021 04:37

Nice to see this get mentioned.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 24, 2021 06:01

Doxa

3. Rocks Off (EXILE ON MAIN STREET)

I am more than serious when I claim that this is the best rock and roll song studio recording ever. Not that it sets the perfect party mood for EXILE, but it tells all that is needed what the spirit and sound (noise) of rock and roll is all about. Just in one song. Not the greatest song an sich or by any of its individual parts, but put together it is more than perfect. It's bloody all there (even though I still doesn't quite recognize from the noise what all there is really going on...). From the raunchy intro riff by Keith accompanied by Mick's lazy "oh yeah" to the orgastic cacophony of the screaming chorus, Jag's more than inspired, edgy, sexy, arrogant vocal delivery throughout, and all that backed by the groove of Charlie, Bill, Nicky and Keith, the horns, to Taylor's outro solo.... blues rock, 50's rock and roll, country feel, 70's decadence... sex, sex, sex (and drugs)! Like I said, put that into school books if only one example is needed to explain rock and roll (with the sticker 'For Adult Minds Only'). And only the mighty Stones - and also them only in the peak of their powers - could have done it. Loved it by first listening and still today this is the song everytime I hear it puts my spirits up and energy-level high. Pure elixir of life.

- Doxa

I feel as if you said what I have felt about this song since first hearing it in 1977-ish ...... It is truly the finest rock and roll studio record I have ever heard and the song which (to me) captures this band and everything it does best like a floorboarded Ferrari.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: February 24, 2021 06:08

tumbling dice
Rocks off
Sway
Let it loose
loving cup

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 24, 2021 06:48

Rocks Off
Moonlight Mile
Sympathy
Paint it Black
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 24, 2021 06:51

KRiffhard
tomcat2006
1. Gomper
2. Suck On the Jugular
3. Back to Zero
5. Sex Drive

Don't forget "Anyway you look at it".

Don't forget "Sing This Song All Together (See What Happens)"

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home