Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Anyone else remember the Sparks brothers?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 1, 2021 16:27

Came across this clip related to them. I remember them from the new wave era - if I remember their time right - and how odd/offbeat they were and musically different. Hadn't thought about them in years until I saw this teaser video.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Anyone else remember the Sparks brothers?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 1, 2021 16:54

I think about them often. Not that they were one of my favorite bands but Kimono My House I still maintain is one of the best albums ever. Perfect combination of their humor and rock music. IMO they never really hit it that perfectly again, but the two follow up albums were pretty solid as well, and then they had some great later stuff. They were always changing, so definitely a fascinating band and always reinventing themselves, almost to their detriment. I saw them a couple years ago and they still have it. Again, I'd only super recommend Kimono My House because its an album everyone should have, but if you like that there are a few others to branch out and explore from there.

Before seeing this post, I actually had already listened to a couple of their songs this morning. They definitely have more of a following than I'd have even realized.

Posted by: backofmyhand ()
Date: February 1, 2021 16:56

nice

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 1, 2021 19:37

"...remember the Sparks brothers??"

That question is phrased as if they were some obscure act on the nostalgia circuit!

Ron and Russell Mael are known all over the world and have been pushing forward and expanding pop music with seriously smart lyrics for 50 years now.

Their new album from last year (A Steady Drip Drip Drip) is killer and can be ranked along side some of their best like Indiscreet, Propaganda, and Kimono My House.

Their 2002 album Lil' Beethoven was another classic and marked the start of a new run of excellent albums.

Sparks have been out there all along, "hiding" in plain sight. If you can't see them it's because they've been so far ahead of the game.

I should note that as a Sparks fan I am looking forward to this movie....but I thought that trailer was seriously lame.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 1, 2021 20:04

No offense meant to Sparks and their fans. They are just someone I hadn't heard or thought of in years.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 1, 2021 21:48

This Town Aint Big Enough is a stunning piece of music, but I don't know much more of their work.

I do know that they had a pun-tastic album named Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 2, 2021 02:23

Michi Hirota, on the right side in the cover jacket, did the Japanese narration for It's No Game (Part 1) for Bowie's Scary Monsters.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 2, 2021 02:34

peoplewitheyes
This Town Aint Big Enough is a stunning piece of music, but I don't know much more of their work.

I do know that they had a pun-tastic album named Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins

Great song; the singer moves like Jagger.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 2, 2021 05:33

Evidence of relevance: Sparks video from 2020:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 2, 2021 18:51

They had the number one song in heaven,great tune

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: February 2, 2021 22:08

My brother in law asked me to go and see them around a couple of years ago, I couldn’t be bothered to be honest, then I read some reviews plus what my in law told me and regretted not going.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 2, 2021 22:37

Tumlin73
My brother in law asked me to go and see them around a couple of years ago, I couldn’t be bothered to be honest, then I read some reviews plus what my in law told me and regretted not going.

I begged them when they played New York a couple years ago to play Kimono My House in full. They've done it before, but never in New York, and they rarely get to America because interest isn't really worth their travel. Wasn't meant to be, and the show was indeed great without it. Just knowing it'll probably never happen was sad though. Its on me that they've done it I think like 10 times and I've just never gone. Granted, half of them have been in London and thats just a lot of travel, and I think 3 times in LA which I could do but I just didn't know at the time. Now that we'll never go to concerts again I doubt it'll ever happen but still a dream of mine.

The show they chose of varied material was great though. As a fan that really only cares about one or two albums, I still thought it was great to see them in person and they make all their material work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home