Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
OT: Summer Olympics Japan 2021
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 22, 2021 03:03

Olympics to be Cancelled - Reports from within Japan

Japan's government has privately concluded the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic, The Times have reported.

According to an unnamed senior government source, there "is agreement that the Games, already postponed a year, are doomed".

"No one wants to be the first to say so but the consensus is that it's too difficult," the source said, according to The Times. "Personally, I don't think it's going to happen."

While Japanese authorities and Olympic officials have publicly stated that they are confident the event will go ahead, The Times report claims the Japanese government has set its sights on ensuring the Games will be held in Tokyo in 2032.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-11 12:32 by bv.

Re: OT - Olympics to be Cancelled - Reports from within Japan
Date: January 22, 2021 03:06

I live in a community with a large number of elite training facilities and just this weekend a very likely medallist put their property on the market.

There has been a realisation quietly for a while now, it's just to difficult and dangerous to attempt this kind of event, the quarantine would be impossible even for Japan.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 22, 2021 03:41

I briefly heard a bit about this on a local L.A. news radio station while driving earlier, and I think part of the story mentioned that Japan hasn't even approved a vaccine yet?
So Glastonbury canceled, and now possibly the Olympics...doesn't bode well for the Stones to reschedule any US shows...at least not in 2021. Maybe by some time in 2022, or possibly as late as 2023?

Date: January 22, 2021 07:32

I'd say that Stadium Tours in the USA and elsewhere are finished for a few years. I just can't see the logistics of it being possible. Governments aren't going to risk a super spreader event that could overwhelm a City Health System

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 22, 2021 10:02

SKILLS

Japan's government has privately concluded the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic, The Times have reported.

According to an unnamed senior government source, there "is agreement that the Games, already postponed a year, are doomed".

"No one wants to be the first to say so but the consensus is that it's too difficult," the source said, according to The Times. "Personally, I don't think it's going to happen."

While Japanese authorities and Olympic officials have publicly stated that they are confident the event will go ahead, The Times report claims the Japanese government has set its sights on ensuring the Games will be held in Tokyo in 2032.

The mistery of "gut feeling". When Japan was elected to organise the 2020 Olympics I was in Japan with my Japanese relatives watching the election on TV. Suddenly this strange "feeling" told me that it may not happen at all. I told it to my wife and other members. The look at their faces was like "silly gaijin family member". The only thing I could come up with was an unexpected major earthquake. Not a flash of a second could I have imagined a virus pandemic would "do the job". I wish I never had that strange feeling.confused smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 22, 2021 10:20

On 21-Jan-2021 the IOC president still believed in the Tokyo Olympic Games - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 22, 2021 10:33

TOKYO (Reuters) - Organisers of the Tokyo Olympics said all event partners, including the Japanese government and the International Olympic Committee,
were "fully focused" on hosting the Games this summer in response to a report by the Times newspaper.
The Times reported on Friday that Japan's government had privately concluded the already-delayed Tokyo Olympics
will be cancelled this year because of the coronavirus pandemic.

They're probably fully focused on coming up with an excuse for the cancellation to us or US.smiling smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 22, 2021 15:42

Only a matter of time, I'm afraid.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 22, 2021 16:42

Is the pandemic over? Did I miss something?

Current death rate from covid-19 worldwide - past three months:

Oct 01 : 1,0 mill dead - 4,000 dead per day
Nov 01 : 1,2 mill dead - 7,000 dead per day
Dec 01 : 1,5 mill dead - 10,000 dead per day
Jan 22 : 2,1 mill dead - 27,000 dead per day

This is called exponential growth, a pandemic out of control

[www.worldometers.info] (Covid-19 background data)

We are not rounding any corner. There will not be large shows or Olympics of any kind this year. Follow science.

It will take 6-12 months to vaccinate the world. Probably longer. Hopefully the vaccines will keep up with new mutants.

Unfortunately there are so many old people in the finance world, IOC etc, who does not accept facts and science. They don't even read the numbers, they think they can fly in people from all across the world in the late peak of the pandemic. Sorry but it will not happen, just like the 2020 Stones tour did not happen.

Bjornulf

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: January 22, 2021 17:06

No Olympic Games.
If Olympic Games don't take the risk / the rest is following.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 22, 2021 17:34

Most likely it will go ahead behind closed doors.

Nate

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: January 22, 2021 17:56

Don't jump to conclusions just read that the head of the Olympics committee says they are going to happen this year as Scheduled and there is no truth to rumor of a cancelation so time will tell. Hopefully they happen we need some normalcy back in the world.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 22, 2021 18:23

Won't happen. Too much risk to international athletes, employees, etc. It's a massive undertaking even behind closed doors. There's been backlash here in Scotland about a football team travelling to Dubai and one of them contracting the virus. At the rates that infections / deaths are increasing, we won't be seeing any large scale events this year (and rightly so).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 22, 2021 18:52

That has to be the most anticlimactic news story I've heard for awhile.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 22, 2021 19:09

Rickster
Don't jump to conclusions just read that the head of the Olympics committee says they are going to happen this year as Scheduled and there is no truth to rumor of a cancelation so time will tell. Hopefully they happen we need some normalcy back in the world.

You mean Mr. Bach or the head of the Japanese IOC? In case of the latter it is merely a formal statement on the foreground with little meaning. Behind the scenes other processes are taking place and The Times for sure was informed from there as to mentally prepare anyone involved.
In the Netherlands almost two weeks ago discussions started about a curfew. They merely are done to mentally prepare the people om what is coming. When surrounding countries go into direction A the surrounded country basically has no choice but to also go into direction A.
(About half a year ago it was still chaos all over. Each country setting its own rules or ... stupidity before common sense confused smiley).

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 22, 2021 19:26

I would imagine Japan is desperately keen to avoid what it might see as a loss of face if it is forced to cancel, even though it would be through no fault of its own. But there is scepticism about a spectator-free event because, for one thing, Japan would lose out massively on ticket sales and all the other revenues that an Olympics host would normally expect to yield from visitors.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 22, 2021 19:45

Can't say I am surprised. Not sure how effective the Olympics could prevent Covid when they have a hard enough times with STDs. Hopefully they can push it back a year to see ot 2 years and slide the next cities back as well.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 22, 2021 21:47

They're not having much luck if this happens. Of the three occasions where Tokyo has been selected as the host city, this will be the second one there to be cancelled (The 12th games in Tokyo in 1940 being the other. Japan also missed out on hosting the Winter Olympics that year)

Date: January 22, 2021 22:15

teleblaster

It's a massive undertaking even behind closed doors.

Yep: they expect 11,091 Athletes from 206 Nations - [en.Wikipedia.org] . Plus their Trainers & Team-members, plus Journalists from all over the world and maybe also some foreign spectators.

Tens of thousand people traveling to Japan while there're currently 3 mutations of the Corona-Virus (UK, South Africa, Brazil) - that could give a high risk ....

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 22, 2021 22:46

Maybe we should just all stay home. Watch the local lads play sports and go to the corner pub for music.
Maybe this modern global travel is the true super spreader.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 23, 2021 02:26

Most people here in Tokyo think Olympics will be rescheduled to 2032.
Now it's just a matter of when Mr. Bach will get NBC Television's approval.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 23, 2021 03:58

wonderboy
Maybe we should just all stay home. Watch the local lads play sports and go to the corner pub for music.
Maybe this modern global travel is the true super spreader.

So you are suggesting permanently shutting down international travel?
If that’s the case then your wish is futile.

Nate

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 23, 2021 04:12

wonderboy
Maybe we should just all stay home.

We should have done that a year ago. Then we wouldn’t be in this mess right now.

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 23, 2021 08:55

Can I stop training?

Date: January 23, 2021 13:57

Toru A

That's a long wait! smiling smiley

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: January 28, 2021 04:59

bv
Is the pandemic over? Did I miss something?

Current death rate from covid-19 worldwide - past three months:

Oct 01 : 1,0 mill dead - 4,000 dead per day
Nov 01 : 1,2 mill dead - 7,000 dead per day
Dec 01 : 1,5 mill dead - 10,000 dead per day
Jan 22 : 2,1 mill dead - 27,000 dead per day

This is called exponential growth, a pandemic out of control

[www.worldometers.info] (Covid-19 background data)
To me it more looks linear from november and on - and with a death rate stabilizing on about 2.9% with a flattening curve of new infections it is hard to see the exponential growth in this.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 28, 2021 07:08

DandelionPowderman
Toru A

That's a long wait! smiling smiley

Well, since the cancellation of 1973, which left a bitter taste among the fans, we had to wait for The Rolling Stones to come and play Japan for 17 years...yawning smiley

By the way...this would have been the first day of the group’s aborted five-night residency at the Budokan, i.e. January 28-February 1, 1973. We had to wait for their first and so far only Budokan show, March 10, 2003, to happen for 30 years!!!drinking smiley

Date: January 28, 2021 12:15

27-Jan-2021: The IOC is still convinced about the Tokyo Olympics in 2021: "IOC's task is to organize Olympic Games, not to cancel them" - [www.dpa-international.com] .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 28, 2021 12:23

Just cancelled my tickets for the upcoming (?) postponed UEFA Euro "2020" games. Had the tickets for Finland vs. Belgium in Sgt. Petersburg, but no way I will go to Russia in summer. Seemingly UEFA is waiting for a miracle - I don't - but most likely the games are played - if they are to be played - without an audience (and who knows where).

Damn, it was such bloody hard to get the tickets. It was the first time Finland made a major football tournament, and people were going nuts here - like a dream come true finally. So the demand for tickets was huge. But such is life...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-28 12:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 28, 2021 14:33

Finland just can't get a break!

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home