Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: OT: Summer Olympics Japan 2021
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 7, 2021 02:12

Stoneage
Some sour grapes here, Treaclefingers. I admit that. In many ways this was a tragic defeat for the Swedish team. They have collected so many silver medals before, now it was time for the gold. But there you go...
Congrats to Team Canada anyway. They stood the test and won. Simple as that.

36-year old captain and long time veteran Caroline Seger and Sweden were one penalty kick away from their first Olympic gold medal, but Seger sailed her shot over the crossbar on a wide open left side of the net as the goalkeeper leaped right. You don't expect that from a star player with both the game and gold medal on the line.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 7, 2021 02:58

treaclefingers
Toru A
treaclefingers
GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
congrats Canada!

Thanks Toru, and congratulations on a fabulous Olympics, particularly with such a massive challenge.

Truly first class.

At the end of the second half, when the ball boy handed Ashley Lawrence a ball for the throw-in, she thanked him with a charming smile.
That was a heartfelt moment. She is a genuine champion.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 7, 2021 03:45

The Sicilian
treaclefingers
The Sicilian
Stoneage
Congrats to Canada. Sweden were heavy favorites here before the game. Rightfully so. Our goalie saved 3 out of 6 penalties. Some horrible penalties from the Swedish players though. Two of them even missed the target.
The coach must take responsibility for that. He picked them. Not a good game overall though.

Penalty kicks saved Canada again. A bogus call on the USA in the 72 minute and one on Sweden in the 65th minute. The gifts that keep on giving. Though I will admit their goalkeeper is very good. A team wins gold without scoring a goal in the medal round.

What's your favourite grape flavour? Cherry sour!

The difference between Americans—and to some extent Canadians—and Europeans is that we get angry when our teams lose, especially by mistakes or questionable calls by officials. We don't like crying and congratulating winners at the moment of loss. It is the competitive nature. It's ok to be mad. Good vibrations have plenty of time to come out.

I'm all for the competitive nature...and sportsmanship.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 7, 2021 04:00

This is more my speed.

Date: August 7, 2021 05:07

Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A
treaclefingers
GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
congrats Canada!

Thanks Toru, and congratulations on a fabulous Olympics, particularly with such a massive challenge.

Truly first class.

At the end of the second half, when the ball boy handed Ashley Lawrence a ball for the throw-in, she thanked him with a charming smile.
That was a heartfelt moment. She is a genuine champion.

I didn't see that...great to hear!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 7, 2021 15:51

Team Sweden won gold in team show jumping (equestrian) today. All the cameras were on Jessica Springsteen though. Team USA came in second. I bet her father is proud today...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-07 16:08 by Stoneage.

Date: August 7, 2021 15:56

The Sicilian
Stoneage
Some sour grapes here, Treaclefingers. I admit that. In many ways this was a tragic defeat for the Swedish team. They have collected so many silver medals before, now it was time for the gold. But there you go...
Congrats to Team Canada anyway. They stood the test and won. Simple as that.

36-year old captain and long time veteran Caroline Seger and Sweden were one penalty kick away from their first Olympic gold medal, but Seger sailed her shot over the crossbar on a wide open left side of the net as the goalkeeper leaped right. You don't expect that from a star player with both the game and gold medal on the line.

After 210 caps Seger has become kind of an informal leader in the team. She is a defensive midfielder though. Hardly ever scores. I knew it was going to be a hit or miss situation when she stepped up to the point.
Or miss rather. Which was what she did.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 7, 2021 17:16

BRASIL!! Consecutive Olympic Campeon !!! smileys with beer

Date: August 7, 2021 23:17

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 8, 2021 00:06

TheflyingDutchman

I love this one and remember it so well.

Gotta stop for now to go to the Loo.thumbs down

Date: August 8, 2021 00:09

SomeTorontoGirl
This is more my speed.

I love this one as well and just can't decide which I like best.

It's a dead heat for me and Gold Medal to both. smileys with beer

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 8, 2021 00:27

crawdaddy
I love this one as well and just can't decide which I like best.

It's a dead heat for me and Gold Medal to both. smileys with beer

Gotta go with the legends… Python for the gold! winking smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 8, 2021 17:22

So the Olympic Games are over, one of the most uncelebrated of their modern history that spans over 125 years. Despite — or because of — that, this will be remembered as one of the most memorable for years to come. And it is not necessarily for all the wrong reasons. Tokyo 2020 has proved that even behind the doors, excitement is there to be appreciated.

No spectators, no Olympics? Yes it still is.

So...no Charlie, still the Stones!

Date: August 8, 2021 17:57

I have really enjoyed watching the Olympics here at home in the UK.

Great coverage on TV with the BBC, and Team GB have done really well, and getting two more Gold Medals for cycling and boxing on the last day. smileys with beer

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 8, 2021 19:23

Most Gold Medals and most total medals.

Bravo Team U.S.A.

Date: August 8, 2021 21:06

Some random notes about the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics:

- Japan did well hosting it.
- No mayor incidents during the games. A relief.
- Russia is not the dominant sports state it used to be.
- China and USA dominated the medal game.
- From a Scandinavian perspective the two Norwegian gold medals in middle distance running (athletics) is something extra. Quite unique, really.
- An American competing for Sweden is dominating pole vault these days.
- What about Finland?

Date: August 9, 2021 00:11

Just been watching an hour long programme on UK BBC, of all the highlights of the Olympics and interviews with some of the medal winners who are back home.
Thought I'd seen most of the really interesting stuff but I was wrong.
Will be on for a few days and probably edited with latest interviews etc. on one of the Freeview channels and is on for about an hour.

We have had excellent coverage from the BBC team, and no adverts on BBC to spoil the enjoyment.

Most of them came home soon after they won their medal, and back to see family and friends again.

There was a lot of team feeling from all the interviews, and really happy with the Japanese hospitality, but glad to be home with their family and friends.smileys with beer

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 9, 2021 03:16

Can't wait for the Winter Olympics. Love those Canadian curling women, and many others too.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 9, 2021 07:19

crawdaddy
Just been watching an hour long programme on UK BBC, of all the highlights of the Olympics and interviews with some of the medal winners who are back home.
Thought I'd seen most of the really interesting stuff but I was wrong.
Will be on for a few days and probably edited with latest interviews etc. on one of the Freeview channels and is on for about an hour.

We have had excellent coverage from the BBC team, and no adverts on BBC to spoil the enjoyment.

Most of them came home soon after they won their medal, and back to see family and friends again.

There was a lot of team feeling from all the interviews, and really happy with the Japanese hospitality, but glad to be home with their family and friends.smileys with beer

Thanks for posting this Team GBR had a top games, I was thrilled watching the BMX Freestyle Park.

IMO they were a stunning games, Japan basically took one for the planet, such respect to the Volunteers. Brilliant

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 07:38

The Sicilian
Can't wait for the Winter Olympics. Love those Canadian curling women, and many others too.

Love our curling women too! In reality, I think for most Canadians, it's all about the hockey, especially the mens team. Having all the NHL stars play is similar to USA basketball in the summer Olympics.

Date: August 9, 2021 07:52

DGA35
The Sicilian

Love our curling women too! In reality, I think for most Canadians, it's all about the hockey, especially the mens team. Having all the NHL stars play is similar to USA basketball in the summer Olympics.

I saw a live women's curling event at the Vancouver Olympics in 2010. It was fab...so cool to be in the audience.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 08:47

treaclefingers
DGA35
The Sicilian

I saw a live women's curling event at the Vancouver Olympics in 2010. It was fab...so cool to be in the audience.

Unfortunately Kelly Law's team choked. The team was too full of themselves, hired rock manager Bruce Allen to be their manager! Last I heard Kelly was a realtor in the Coquitlam/Maple Ridge area.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 15:34

Loved that the US Women continued to dominate in Basketball, but really they should just say it's UConn vs. the world. LOL

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 10, 2021 03:13

You mean this mess is finally over?

All Glory to Allah if so

jb

Date: August 10, 2021 16:32

Far from being a mess, I'm pretty sure the sporting public here in the UK are well happy with the coverage of the Olympics on BBC, and the amount of Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals Team GB brought home.
Well done to the whole team and not a single competitor was tested positive for covid.

The interviews by some of the team arriving back home yesterday were full of gratitude and admiration the way the Olympics was held by Japan.

Well done Japan and already looking forward to Paris 2024.smileys with beer

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 11, 2021 03:14

They're over? What am I gonna do for my volleyball fix now? This seemed to be the only thing that showed up when I went to watch the games. I was so looking forward to watching synchronized water polo. Dang.

Date: August 12, 2021 03:08

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home