Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The back of Mick Taylor
Posted by: michielz ()
Date: January 18, 2021 23:54

Happy birthday Mick Taylor. Maybe a nice story to read for all the Taylor-fans out there:

December 2019 me and my family stayed for a week in a holiday home in the North of Holland. On second Christmas day we went for a ride trough the country side. The weather was rather grey. After several stops (watching the Hunebeds, some mystic stones from the past) we made a stop in a small village and went to a local cafe-restaurant. We ordered coffee, tea and some apple-pie. I was with my wife, two kids and 87 year old mother. We had a table near the window, which gave us a good view at the terrace in front of the café and at the historical centre of the village. Although it wasn’t really cold, the terrace was empty. The grey weather didn’t invite to sit outside. As we were enjoying our apple pie, suddenly a man came walking up on the terrace. He wore a long dark blue coat and a scarf. He put down a plastic bag from the local supermarket on the table right before our window. A baquette came half outside the bag, showing that he probably had done some shopping for second Christmas eve’s dinner. The man looked familiar. He had half long brown hair. The grey on top showed that it was dyed a while ago. Then he walked inside the café. I lost sight because the bar was in another part as were we were seated. A few minutes later he came back. He put down a big glas of water on the table and a small glass, which, by the shape of the glass, I would guess was Jenever, a typical dutch drink. He then took a package of cigarettes from his coat, which most likely, was the reason he sat outside. At that moment I got a short look at his face and now I knew for sure. The man, who sat just two metres in front of us, at the other side of the window, and lit a cigarette. I recognized his hair, his face …. I was watching the back of Mick Taylor, former guitarist of the Rolling Stones.

I told my family, who looked rather surprised. My kids said I should go and see him. “You’re talking ‘bout the Stones all the time, and now there’s one in front of you”, my son said. And my daugther said. You just say: “Hi Mick Taylor, nice to meet you. By the way, did you now smoking is very ‘dodelijk’ (dutch for ‘deathly). My daughter laughed about her own joke. But somehow I didn’t feel like going outside. What should I say? I guess Mick Taylor wouldn’t be sitting on a terrace in a small village in the North of Holland to be recognized. So I just sat there, watched him enjoying his drink and his cigarette. When we left the cafe I had a short look. He looked satisfied and in good shape. “Happy christmas mr. Taylor and thank you for the music”, I said to myself.

Re: The back of Mick Taylor
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 19, 2021 00:29

What a beautiful story!

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: January 19, 2021 01:01

I am happy to read this because I really like the man, and they are absolutely no news from him since he played with the band for the last time in 2014.

I remember that in the spring of 2015, Keith said that Mick Taylor wouldn't appear with the band on stage for the next US Tour because "he is not in good shape".

Personally, I am not sure that "he was not in good shape". And it is sad that he was not on stage at the Fonda Theatre in LA in 2015 when they played the whole Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2021 01:18

Aint it truely strange how one can recognize
certain people from behind even though you've
never seen the back of them before ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 19, 2021 01:34

I met MT in 1995 after a gig. He was very cool.I was lucky enough
to buy his CD and the box was autographed "Be Happy, Mick Taylor".
A MT guitar pick was also included.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 19, 2021 01:50

Rockman

I read every one of your posts hearing Keith’s voice in my mind.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 19, 2021 01:53

Is there a reason why he lives in Holland and not England.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 19, 2021 02:00

Great story and so nice to hear of it.
I remember my only visit to Oslo to see The Stones when they were doing rehearsals there around 2014 or 2015, and had met up with many other fans.
Got chatting to new friends when I felt tired and sat on a bench and found out from them The Stones were in the hotel just opposite.

I didn't have a clue where they were staying.

Saw a few of the Stones entourage and friends having a ciggy outside while I was there and left to have a look around Oslo town centre.
Said my goodbyes to my new found Stones friends, and spotted Mick Taylor heading towards Stones hotel.
Next minute I saw fans jumping out from behind trees with stuff to get him to sign and when he finished I just shouted out ' Have a great time at the gig on Monday Mick ', and got a smile and a wave.

Still walking around in the centre of Oslo and two minutes later bumped into Chuck Leavell and his Missus............and was just hoping to say hello but he was really interested in my interest about The Rolling Stones.

Chuck and his Missus were such genuinely nice people and I took a few pics of them , and they took some pics of me with them.
Genuinely lovely people. smileys with beer

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 19, 2021 02:18

Taylor1
Is there a reason why he lives in Holland and not England.

His partner is Dutch.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: January 19, 2021 13:56

michielz
Happy birthday Mick Taylor. Maybe a nice story to read for all the Taylor-fans out there:

December 2019 me and my family stayed for a week in a holiday home in the North of Holland. On second Christmas day we went for a ride trough the country side. The weather was rather grey. After several stops (watching the Hunebeds, some mystic stones from the past) we made a stop in a small village and went to a local cafe-restaurant. We ordered coffee, tea and some apple-pie. I was with my wife, two kids and 87 year old mother. We had a table near the window, which gave us a good view at the terrace in front of the café and at the historical centre of the village. Although it wasn’t really cold, the terrace was empty. The grey weather didn’t invite to sit outside. As we were enjoying our apple pie, suddenly a man came walking up on the terrace. He wore a long dark blue coat and a scarf. He put down a plastic bag from the local supermarket on the table right before our window. A baquette came half outside the bag, showing that he probably had done some shopping for second Christmas eve’s dinner. The man looked familiar. He had half long brown hair. The grey on top showed that it was dyed a while ago. Then he walked inside the café. I lost sight because the bar was in another part as were we were seated. A few minutes later he came back. He put down a big glas of water on the table and a small glass, which, by the shape of the glass, I would guess was Jenever, a typical dutch drink. He then took a package of cigarettes from his coat, which most likely, was the reason he sat outside. At that moment I got a short look at his face and now I knew for sure. The man, who sat just two metres in front of us, at the other side of the window, and lit a cigarette. I recognized his hair, his face …. I was watching the back of Mick Taylor, former guitarist of the Rolling Stones.

I told my family, who looked rather surprised. My kids said I should go and see him. “You’re talking ‘bout the Stones all the time, and now there’s one in front of you”, my son said. And my daugther said. You just say: “Hi Mick Taylor, nice to meet you. By the way, did you now smoking is very ‘dodelijk’ (dutch for ‘deathly). My daughter laughed about her own joke. But somehow I didn’t feel like going outside. What should I say? I guess Mick Taylor wouldn’t be sitting on a terrace in a small village in the North of Holland to be recognized. So I just sat there, watched him enjoying his drink and his cigarette. When we left the cafe I had a short look. He looked satisfied and in good shape. “Happy christmas mr. Taylor and thank you for the music”, I said to myself.

I love stories like this! We sometimes tend to put our idols on pedestals, but at the end of the day they are just like us. Human.

Date: January 19, 2021 14:42

michielz

A few minutes later he came back. He put down a big glas of water on the table and a small glass, which, by the shape of the glass, I would guess was Jenever, a typical dutch drink.
Stones.

Are you certain the big glas was filled with water? For Christ sake I hope he didn't switch to 35% Jenever; you wouldn't notice the difference from water within a 10 centimetres distance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-19 14:44 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 19, 2021 15:51

Rockman

yes and:

e sat outside. At that moment I got a short look at his face and now I knew for sure. The man, who sat just two metres in front of us, at the other side of the window, and lit a cigarette. I recognized his hair, his face …. I was watching the back of Mick Taylor, former guitarist of the Rolling Stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home