Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Phil Spector has died
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 17, 2021 22:45

As a music producer creating ' The Wall of Sound' back in the 60's, was a great sound from so many varied performers.
Unfortunately he was a very troubled man who seemed to have to point a gun at people who may have said or done the wrong thing in his presence.

He deserved to be in prison , and nothing can excuse the awful things he did.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: January 17, 2021 22:56

crawdaddy
As a music producer creating ' The Wall of Sound' back in the 60's, was a great sound from so many varied performers.
Unfortunately he was a very troubled man who seemed to have to point a gun at people who may have said or done the wrong thing in his presence.

He deserved to be in prison , and nothing can excuse the awful things he did.
This seems to be a good summary. Be my baby the Ronnettes has an amazing sound, he influenced Andrew loog Oldham and of course the Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 17, 2021 23:12

Spanish Harlem .. I Love How You Love Me ..
He's A Rebel... Da Doo Ron Ron .. Be My Baby ..
Then He Kissed Me ... You Lost That Loving Feeling
Unchained Melody ... River Deep Mountain High ...
A Love Like Yours ... Black Pearl ... Born To Be With You ...

Spent almost his entire life dancing
on the edge of life's pits of madness .....

RIP and let God be the one to judge him

ROCKMAN

Date: January 17, 2021 23:14

IF he comments it will
be interesting to read
what Andrew Loog says of Spector

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: January 17, 2021 23:25

Please can someone remind of which particular Stones songs were influenced by Spector. Little by little is one I think..

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: January 17, 2021 23:31

psycho- I remember he fired his gun into the ceiling while in the studio with John Lennon.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 17, 2021 23:35

nick1970
Please can someone remind of which particular Stones songs were influenced by Spector. Little by little is one I think..

The title of one song is " Now I've Got A Witness ( like Uncle Phil and Uncle Gene)".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-17 23:36 by Witness.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 17, 2021 23:43

I have sympathy for Lana and her loved ones. None for him.

Date: January 17, 2021 23:51

nick1970

He co-wrote Little By Little.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 17, 2021 23:58

A friend of mine just shared this with me on Facebook. Phil in 1966, at the height of his creative powers, making a bizarre, argumentative and impromptu appearance on the Merv Griffin Show.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-18 00:01 by tatters.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 18, 2021 00:46

Witness
nick1970

The title of one song is " Now I've Got A Witness ( like Uncle Phil and Uncle Gene)".

"And Mr. Spector and Mr. Pitney came too". On my "Reeling and Rockin" boot - (Recorded at Regent Sound, London on 4 February 1964)

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 18, 2021 02:00

Amazing producer and writer. Sh it human being though.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 18, 2021 03:03

Pretty good very recent and thorough
Darlene Love interview about PS
in today's Rolling Stone Mag site
[www.rollingstone.com]

Including comments about his death

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-18 03:05 by hopkins.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 18, 2021 03:10

nick1970

Andrew's Blues which was from the same Feb 64 session with Phil, Gene Pitney, Graham Nash and Alan Clarke of the Hollies. Never officially released but available online.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 18, 2021 03:30

I probably would have pulled a gun on The Ramones in the studio too.
Not Joey. But...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 18, 2021 05:40

Woody24
Taylor1
Woody24
No one can deny the huge influence he had on the world of pop music. Certainly he had some issues...but, don’t we all.

RIP
Thats idiotic .He killed a woman.Not funny.Good riddance

I wasn’t in any way trying to condone or justify or excuse what he did. I was just saying we all have issues...some are OBVIOUSLY more serious than others. Sheesh.

Ignorant comment woody 24. Don’t put a spin on it. You’re wrong

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 18, 2021 09:08

A groundbreaking, innovative producer. I’ll always enjoy his work. As a human being, however? He was a murderer. There isn’t really anything to add to that point.

MisterDDDD has it right: Rest in peace, Lana Jean Clarkson

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: January 18, 2021 10:56

Martin Scorsese should direct the biopic. What a soundtrack to work with.

Date: January 18, 2021 11:51

nick1970

Well, Little by Little is merely a reworking of a Jimmy Reed song. Spector has a co-credit for some reason, though.

Date: January 18, 2021 11:58

After we had done Not Fade Away, Phil (Spector) and Mick disappeared. Nobody noticed they had gone until about five minutes later when they returned, looking very pleased with themselves. They sat down, told us to be quiet, and played the number they had just written in the outside corridor. It was very good, so we decided to use it as the B side. Mick took hold of his harmonica, Phil found the maracas again, and Gene Pitney and the Stones' road manager, Ian Stewart, sat down at the same piano. It was a fantastic scene!

- Andrew Oldham, 1964

When I stopped off in from Paris one time and Phil Spector was in London and Andrew Oldham called me from the hotel and told me he was having a terrible time because he was trying to do what was the follow up to I Wanna Be Your Man and all the boys hated each other that day and he had them in a little dinky studio in Denmark Street and he couldn't get them to do anything. I had 5 fifths of cognac that I was bringing home, so I took one fifth over to the studio and I told them it was a custom in my family that when anybody had a birthday, that everybody had a water glass of cognac until the bottle was empty. So, we ended up with a hell of a session and out of it came Not Fade Away (sic) and I played piano and Phil Spector played an empty cognac bottle with a half dollar, clicking it, and we played on the flip side which was Little By Little.

- Gene Pitney

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 18, 2021 13:20

tatters
I've never told anyone this before, but as an aficionado of B movies, I actually knew who Lana Clarkson was when she was alive. I even wrote her a fan letter once. The weirdly long, hand-written reply I received shortly before her death seemed oddly .... desperate. When I first saw the headlines about a B movie actress having been shot to death at Phil Spector's mansion, I knew who it was even before reading her name.

And that's all I'fm gonna say about that.

You're just inviting questions.

plexi

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 18, 2021 15:45

That wall of sound has not aged well.It sounds lame and wimpy.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 18, 2021 16:05

Ronnie Spector reacts to ex-husband Phil Spector's death: 'A brilliant producer, but a lousy husband'

(No surprises there)

[www.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-18 16:05 by Sighunt.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 18, 2021 16:42

Javadave
Martin Scorsese should direct the biopic.

When you have worked on/with Dylan shooting a docu on Spector would be debasing yourself.
When was the last time the guy was sparkling, artistically speaking? "River Deep, Mountain High".That was in 1966.
And that's the most puzzling thing about Phil : he remained a legend while being creatively dead since 1966. Beats me.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: January 18, 2021 17:51

Not a documentary, a biopic. Spector’s life had so much tragedy and drama. From his dad’s suicide, his early production success, his paranoia and insecurity destroying his marriage to Ronnie Spector, his work with Ike & Tina, The Beatles, and on the Concert For Bangladesh, his near fatal car accident in ‘74, work with Leonard Cohen and the Ramones in the late 70s, descent into isolation in the 80s, the murder of Lana Clarkson, the trial, spending his final years in prison, and dying alone of COVID in a prison hospital, all set to an incredible soundtrack, it could make for a riveting movie, or an opera for that matter.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 18, 2021 18:28

All Things Must Pass - Produced by George Harrison and Phil Spector, the album was a nr1 in the top charts and inducted in The Hall Of Fame.
Some Time In New York City - Plastic Ono Band, produced by John and Yoko and Phil Spector.
Lennon Plastic Ono Band - Shavid Fish, Instant Karma - produced by Phil Spector
Happy Christmas, Power To The People, Mother and Woman is the Nigger of The world - produced by John and Yoko and Phil Spector.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 18, 2021 19:03

No direct comments from the Stones??

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: January 18, 2021 19:31

The guy definitely had a good run. But he was bat-shit crazy. He couldn't deal with life. He'll always be an interesting footnote in the history of rock -n -roll. I wonder if anyone will miss him.

Date: January 18, 2021 19:48

Maindefender
No direct comments from the Stones??

I wouldn’t imagine they’d want to.

Date: January 18, 2021 19:53

Heard River Deep Mountain High
in a coastal restaurant a few days ago ....

An amazing record ... It still hit with
such power right thru to those final few seconds
where even the music collapses and seems to fall
to the floor like it is beaten by the power of it all .... CLASSIC

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home