Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Old time bootleg record stores from the 70's
Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: January 16, 2021 16:19

Cool, I got my stuff at Esoteric around 1987/8. Jobies in Tahoe City always had a bunch too, that's where I got and heard Keith's piano sessions in toronto after he got busted

Date: January 16, 2021 18:01

SECOND COMING RECORDS
THE VILLAGE
NEW YORK CITY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-17 00:25 by HopeYouGuessMyName.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 18, 2021 05:08

ChrisG
I remember Second Comings Kenmore Square I think.

In the 1980s, at least, second coming records was located on mass ave, Harvard Square, Cambridge

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: January 18, 2021 18:49

Penguin Feather in Northern VA. Also Record Convergence. There was a place in a basement in Falls Church but I forget its name.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Date: January 18, 2021 19:02

I remember Penguin Feather in Falls Church.

I got one of my first 45's there when I was a kid. I still have it.

misterfrias
Penguin Feather in Northern VA. Also Record Convergence. There was a place in a basement in Falls Church but I forget its name.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 20, 2021 08:27

Ross
I used to order from Rather Ripped Records in Chapel Hill, NC. Excellent service and great selection. I had my mother’s Bank Americard number memorized!

I think the original Rather Ripped Records was in Berkeley. I remember it as a student there from 77-83. I think they moved to NC and later went out of business, as I seem to recall. Great name.

plexi

Date: January 20, 2021 08:29

riffcliche69
“Second Floor Records” in Richmond,Virginia and “Rasputin’s” in Berkeley, California had all the boots. I used to trade tapes with Brad Blank and a guy called Freddy, who had all the Wizardo and Phoneygraf titles.

I remember Brad Blank, haven't thought of that name in years. I think I used to buy boots from him. Where was he from and is he still around?

plexi

Date: January 20, 2021 08:34

crholmstrom
I can't remember the name but there used to be a really good one in Greenwich Village NYC. Bleeker Bob's perhaps? I always used to spend a lot there when I visited NYC pre internet days.

Yes, Bleeker Bob's (not sure of the exact name but I know Bleeker was in it) was still there at least in 2006 when I went there.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-20 08:35 by timbernardis.

Date: January 20, 2021 08:40

jbwelda
village music, mill valley ca

Leopolds, berkeley, ca

Rather Ripped Records berzerkely ca

MarKee Records, sacramento ca

aquarius records, san francisco ca

rhino records, santa monica, the original

couple places i knew in Pasadena, PoohBear Records or something like that.

Records, sacramento ca

Even Tower Records San Francisco had a copy of Bedspring Symphony.

jb

jb, do you remember the Record Exchange on the K Street Mall in Sacramento? I bought my first boot there in 1974 from Mick Martin (who is kind of a Sacramento institution). I bought Madison (which I think was the same as Welcome to New York, '72). I still have it.

plexi

Date: January 20, 2021 08:46

longlongwinter
Where was MarKee in sac? There used to be one on Broadway where I bought Liver than you'll ever be'

do you remember the little record/head shop on J Street in Sactown, trying to remember, in the 20s blocks I think, midtown, close to downtown. Damn I wish I could remember the name, used to go there a lot!

Then there was one nearby, across the street from McKinley Park, near the library (my first library). On or near Alhambra Blvd I think.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-20 08:55 by timbernardis.

Date: January 20, 2021 08:48

cowboytoast
Pied Piper Records in North Carolina - I used to get their catalog in the 70's from an ad in the back of Circus Magazine

I think Rolling Stone used to carry ads for little boot dealers and other stuff, concert pics and such.

plexi

Date: January 20, 2021 08:51

midimannz
I had a record store about 20 mins away on a bus, but the real revelation was ‘Toad Halls Rare Records’ in Australia, advertising in a local music magazine
Suddenly, after a trial period and ‘postal notes’ my collection grew exponentially

Then they got busted and their vinyl got dumped and destroyed

Not before I got my hands on these beauties......

I loved that time, opening the box and playing the LP records of my favourite band in concert, or in the studio for the first time ... ever

was that in Auckland? were there others there?

plexi

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 20, 2021 12:33

You probably cannot overestimate the importance of bootlegs for a band's Image back in the 1970s. It was far more valuable than the losses in royalties they had to suffer.

Imagine rock music without bootlegs… downright depressing….

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 20, 2021 19:19

>do you remember the Record Exchange on the K Street Mall in Sacramento?

Yes I called it "Records" in my post above which is what it was called later but it originally was Record Exchange. Guy named Ed owned it. I think it was the same place. Also known as Ed's Records

>Mick Martin (who is kind of a Sacramento institution).

Known him for decades.

>do you remember the little record/head shop on J Street in Sactown,

That was probably Jodette the belly dancers place, i think it was called the Falasouf or something like that. Coincidentally i was just there looking in the window the other day, its closed but still has a lot of her stuff in there. This was on K street though so not sure the same place. I faintly recall a shop on J street but cannot remember the name, think it became a Sushi restaurant later on. Might have been the same place, I think they moved more than once. Probably by 24th and J?

>Then there was one nearby, across the street from McKinley Park,

Esoteric Records, the original one. I lived other side of the park from it and it is where i think i first met Keith Mckee before he started MarKee with Donny Jupiter.

Rather Ripped in Berkeley was a great shop. Didnt know they moved back east, they had a major blow out sale at a warehouse in Oakland right after they closed shop.

jb

Date: January 23, 2021 07:56

Ok jb,

Did you ever see Mick's Orion Express in the 70s at the Shire Road Pub in Fair Oaks? This of course was before it burned down. Going back even further, Mick had a band called Slo Loris in the late 60s.

I don't think it was called Falasouf, I would remember the name if I saw it. 24th and J could be right tho. BTW, do u remember Hobrecht's Lighting also very near to there on J? My grandpa started the place.

Esoteric Records i think is right. Little hole in the wall. In about 76-77, there was a very strange guy who worked there, prolly the owner. He always used to think I was stealing records.

Rather Ripped was in a prime location in Berkeley on north side (of campus) on the corner of, damn, I can't remember the street names. Prime location, for something that was not on Telegraph. Great, great name! It was the first place I ever heard a punk record. I think it was in '76. I was in the store and they were playing the Ramones including Beat On the Brat. I thought it was stupid at the time with dumb but funny lyrics. But it all grew on me as I really grew to like some punk, especially the Pistols and Clash besides the Ramones. Others too -- the Damned, the Kennedys.

plexi

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-23 08:06 by timbernardis.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 23, 2021 09:51

timbernardis
midimannz
I had a record store about 20 mins away on a bus, but the real revelation was ‘Toad Halls Rare Records’ in Australia, advertising in a local music magazine
Suddenly, after a trial period and ‘postal notes’ my collection grew exponentially

Then they got busted and their vinyl got dumped and destroyed

Not before I got my hands on these beauties......

I loved that time, opening the box and playing the LP records of my favourite band in concert, or in the studio for the first time ... ever

was that in Auckland? were there others there?

plexi

Yes, Real Groovy (still around, but the boots aren’t) the main one was Record Exchange in St Kevin’s Arcade (K Rd) and there was another nearby the old Whitcoulls building in Victoria St.

No longer there.

Date: January 23, 2021 11:07

Yeah, I went to Real Groovy when I was there a year and a half ago when we all met up at Foxy's Voodoo Lounge. Bought a few items.

How old is Marbeck's and did they ever sell boots?

plexi

Date: January 23, 2021 12:00

yes I remember all that stuff, never went out of my way to see Martins various bands, but I saw them open for a lot of people mostly at downtown locations because I was loathe to visit the burbs. I was more often at Crabshaw Corners (before it was the Oasis Ballroom) or Sound Factory or Parapow Palace (Randy Paragary's first place, the house that white powder built) or the Trip Room on K street. Or the Governor's Hall at the old state fair grounds on Stockton Blvd where they used to throw shows before they tore the place down along with the rest of the fair grounds. Great place to get stabbed in those days. Trophy Room out in the burbs for Jim Duvall and the Gauchos and Cottage Park teenage dances where I first saw the Gollywogs, later to be known as Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Rather Ripped was on Telegraph, on the north side of the campus rather than the more popular south side. Right on corner of Telegraph and whatever street ran east/west on the north side edge of campus.

That was the original owner of Esoteric Records, I forget his name, and yeah you probably were stealing records.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-23 12:03 by jbwelda.

Date: January 24, 2021 04:12

Yeah, I confess I was.

Was Governor's Hall that red brick (or brown brick) building?

Just listened to Mick Martin's Blues Party this afternoon. Good show.

Telegraph is on the south side of campus, but Rather Ripped was on the north side.

plexi

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: January 24, 2021 08:01

@ timbernardis, I also bought from him. Could it be (as far I can remember) that he was in "THE BRONX" ALBUM ALLEY?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-24 08:12 by tioms.

Date: January 24, 2021 08:18

> Rather Ripped was on the north side.

I was wrong, its Euclid Ave on the north side of the campus. But its a straight shot from Telegraph on the south side. It now appears to be Northside Cafe in that spot.

jb

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: January 24, 2021 22:42

Morning Glory records in Isla Vista then Santa Barbara lasted 38 years. Salzers in Ventura is still around. Both were famous in their time, Salzer even a promoter for Led Zeppelin’s first US tour.

Date: January 25, 2021 10:24

tioms
@ timbernardis, I also bought from him. Could it be (as far I can remember) that he was in "THE BRONX" ALBUM ALLEY?

do you mean from Esoteric Records or the Record Exchange/Mick Martin?

What's "THE BRONX" ALBUM ALLEY"

plexi

Date: January 25, 2021 16:20

A pity this is not available in decent audio-quality. Them heavy Ampegs:

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: January 25, 2021 19:52

There was one that was what used to be called a "Head Shop" in the town of Annandale Virginia, called "Rainbow Tree"(?). This was back in the early-mid 70's. I think all the boots were displayed in the back of the store in a separate area, they had plain white sleeves with a photo-copied label wrapped in plastic. I was a kid, didn't know what to make of those things! I seem to recall that they were heavy on Led Zep, Zappa, Little Feat, and The Eagles? I always wanted to kick myself in the ass for not buying-up a bunch of those things. I think a friend of mine got a boot of the famed Brussels show there, and it came with an info sheet that said it was "MSG '72"??? Oh well, we were kids, but we figured it out!!!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: January 25, 2021 20:12

Bet a lot of these old places mentioned sold nitrous oxide (tNO2).

In the early 80s, I went to a different Penguin Feather location just south of Alexandria, Virginia on Route 1 in Hybla Valley, and they were selling both boots and NO2. They sold legit records too, and pipes, and posters. Classic old “Head Shops”.

You still see boots regularly on the vintage market, just not so many new ones.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 26, 2021 01:52

Brad Blank(?)wasn't he in Honolulu ? he did mail order stuff...

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: January 26, 2021 16:18

There's a recording of Jagger in a NYC record store discussing Stones bootlegs with the staff/owner.
I tried to find it but I can't.
Anyone have a link?

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: January 26, 2021 16:54

I think I've been wrong with Brad Blank and a shop in The Bronx, Album alley. And as do not have any of a real address anymore. And I don't have a copy of a 'Goldmine' from that time late'70/begin'80.

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: January 26, 2021 17:21

downagain
There's a recording of Jagger in a NYC record store discussing Stones bootlegs with the staff/owner.
I tried to find it but I can't.
Anyone have a link?

I don't know if it the same one that you mean, but there is a Mick interview on the topic included as Track 01 of Unsurpassed Masters - Volume 1.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home