Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Old time bootleg record stores from the 70's
Posted by: dcarey ()
Date: January 14, 2021 04:14

Does anyone else remember a store called Perfect Pitch that was in Maine back in the 1970's ? I used to buy a lot of Stones bootlegs in the mail from them years ago, their catalog was really good, and they had all the new releases. I also recall in the old Stones fanzine Let It Rock, a guy who went by the name of Brad Blank from Hawaii had all the new stuff as well. I miss those days !

Re: Old time bootleg record stores from the 70's
Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: January 14, 2021 08:26

“Second Floor Records” in Richmond,Virginia and “Rasputin’s” in Berkeley, California had all the boots. I used to trade tapes with Brad Blank and a guy called Freddy, who had all the Wizardo and Phoneygraf titles.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: January 14, 2021 15:55

Joby's in Tahoe City,CA
Don't know name but there was a great one on the West Side on Central Park West, maybe around 85th?

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 14, 2021 16:35

There used to be a store called Lawsons in Sydney Australia (it may still be there) that sold second hadnnrecords and also lots of bootlegs (I remember they had a lot of the Swingibg Pig Beatles and Stones boots). More recently, a store called Utopia (also in Sydney) had some great stones bootleg cds - I bought some great q969 and 1972 tour bootlegs there in the 90s

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 14, 2021 16:38

For me it was Record Haven in Hollywood Florida. Found out about bootlegs in 1977 when I was 13 years old.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 14, 2021 16:57

I used to order from Rather Ripped Records in Chapel Hill, NC. Excellent service and great selection. I had my mother’s Bank Americard number memorized!

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: January 14, 2021 17:28

The local record store in Brantford Ontario "Records On Wheels" sold boots.
There is record store on Yonge Street in Toronto, I would frequent through the '90's for boot CD's. I enjoyed area record shows in the mid-90's for hard to find stuff.
I recall going to NYC in 1985 and found the stores in the Village. One you had to ring a buzzer for admittance.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: January 14, 2021 17:35

dennycranium
The local record store in Brantford Ontario "Records On Wheels" sold boots.
There is record store on Yonge Street in Toronto, I would frequent through the '90's for boot CD's. I enjoyed area record shows in the mid-90's for hard to find stuff.
I recall going to NYC in 1985 and found the stores in the Village. One you had to ring a buzzer for admittance.

It might have been second coming records on Sullivan street. Sadly the store closed years ago. Back in the day the village had a lot of great record stores. Very few are left.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: January 14, 2021 18:23

Mother's Music W. Yarmouth Ma.

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: January 14, 2021 18:47

Back Room Records in Amherst, MA
Zeppelin in Lowell, MA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-14 18:48 by Jfk19562003.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 14, 2021 19:02

Al-Bums, Worcester and Amherst MA
Second Comings, Cambridge and Boston MA
Stop & Cop, Westminster and Gardner MA

Plus the semi-annual record shows in Boston and Springfield MA

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: January 14, 2021 19:54

I remember Second Comings Kenmore Square I think.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 14, 2021 20:19

I remember a record store across the street from Electric Ladyland. Think it was called Revolver. Don't remember any of the other NYC store names. Perfect area for record stores.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 14, 2021 20:42

In late '75 when the boots for the TOTA L.A. Forum shows (Who Went to Church This Sunday?, L.A. Friday Night) were released, a tiny shop on Hollywood Blvd--Record Paradise--actually put up a huge display of them in their window. A photo of it appeared in Rock Scene magazine.

When Beggar's Banquet in Anaheim first opened in '76 they had a little back room behind a curtain with a nice selection of Stones and Yardbirds bootlegs. Great store owned by a real fan.

When I started going to Middle Earth Records in Downey in 1974, there were an abundance of bootlegs--Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Zeppelin, etc., on sale out in the open. Not long later they suddenly disappeared, but then years later, in the 90's,with a new owner, they started selling them again. The hammer eventually came down, and I understand that that someone wanted to make an example of him, and he ended up doing some hard time.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 14, 2021 21:21

Spinnakers Hyannis Mass Cape Cod

Instant Karma Orleans Mass Cape Cod

Soul City Records Worcester Mass --- now out of business

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 14, 2021 21:48

Tommy in Tilburg (NL).

Date: January 14, 2021 21:50

Kensington Market, London.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 14, 2021 22:00

I can't remember the name but there used to be a really good one in Greenwich Village NYC. Bleeker Bob's perhaps? I always used to spend a lot there when I visited NYC pre internet days.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 14, 2021 22:09

frankotero
I remember a record store across the street from Electric Ladyland. Think it was called Revolver. Don't remember any of the other NYC store names. Perfect area for record stores.

Revolution Records.

Appropriately enough, located at West 8th St. and, uh, 6th Avenue.

Keith, whachoo doin’?

Great place. Expensive, though.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 14, 2021 22:21

Bleecker Street Records in NYC in the 90's.
And two other ones in the same area (Revolver on 8th St. and ??)

Revolver was here (2nd floor) : [goo.gl]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-14 22:54 by Massimo68.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 15, 2021 00:05

village music, mill valley ca

Leopolds, berkeley, ca

Rather Ripped Records berzerkely ca

MarKee Records, sacramento ca

aquarius records, san francisco ca

rhino records, santa monica, the original

couple places i knew in Pasadena, PoohBear Records or something like that.

Records, sacramento ca

Even Tower Records San Francisco had a copy of Bedspring Symphony.

jb

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: January 15, 2021 00:47

For myself in Milwaukee, WI it was (still is a bit) Record Head on 68th and Lincoln and 74th and Hampton.

They had a great selection in the mid 70's thru early 80's. They got busted in about 1981 or so. They really backed it down after that.

Miss those days. Never knew what would be in the racks.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: January 15, 2021 15:14

I'm Belgium. Mid '70 ties I went to Amsterdam. Almost every lp shop has bootlegs.
Concerto in Amsterdam: Full of bootlegs downstairs! My first visit: 50 or 60 bought in 1 time (15 gulden(8€)lp, 25gulden(13€) for a double). I dindn't know about bootlegs before I visited that shop due to a guy I met In Antwerp '73. (concert)
Today? I don't know.
Greets

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 15, 2021 15:44

!st boot(stoned concerts) bought at Music Man in Royal Oak(70) & then it was Wholesale records(also in RO) who turned me on to Wayne Rogers Rock n roll University in Chapel Hill NC...thats when mail order became to way to go....before being replaced by record shows & eventually ..ebay....been a long road...that I've enjoyed

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: January 15, 2021 15:49

Where was MarKee in sac? There used to be one on Broadway where I bought Liver than you'll ever be'

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: January 15, 2021 20:19

Pied Piper Records in North Carolina - I used to get their catalog in the 70's from an ad in the back of Circus Magazine

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 16, 2021 01:45

>Where was MarKee in sac?

1010 10th Street or thereabouts. That one on broadway might have been Esoteric Records and probably the same Keith from MarKee was behind the counter.

Donny (Jupiter) Marquez and Keith McKee were MarKee, also of the Twinkies local pop band of some note.

jb

Date: January 16, 2021 06:38

The 70s are waaay before my time, but I know of a few record stores near my area that usually carry a few bootlegs. One in particular-- can't remember the exact name-- had an entire shelving unit filled with Stones records! And about half of it was bootlegs! I picked up an old copy of 'LIVE`R' & '100% Odd Lots' there! I really should try visiting it again soon...

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 16, 2021 11:14

I had a record store about 20 mins away on a bus, but the real revelation was ‘Toad Halls Rare Records’ in Australia, advertising in a local music magazine
Suddenly, after a trial period and ‘postal notes’ my collection grew exponentially

Then they got busted and their vinyl got dumped and destroyed

Not before I got my hands on these beauties......

I loved that time, opening the box and playing the LP records of my favourite band in concert, or in the studio for the first time ... ever

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-16 11:16 by midimannz.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 16, 2021 15:27

tioms
I'm Belgium. Mid '70 ties I went to Amsterdam. Almost every lp shop has bootlegs.
Concerto in Amsterdam: Full of bootlegs downstairs! My first visit: 50 or 60 bought in 1 time (15 gulden(8€)lp, 25gulden(13€) for a double). I dindn't know about bootlegs before I visited that shop due to a guy I met In Antwerp '73. (concert)
Today? I don't know.
Greets

It's interesting to see how bootleg stores developed. In (late) 1969 I went to Amsterdam to get a copy of "Liver". Bootleg stores didn't exist yet. It was a tiny tobacco store at a corner house in old Amsterdam that had that record.
In the early 70s I remember one bootleg store in Utrecht (I think it was originally named after the street it was in ((Steenweg), but later changed its name (Plato popped up in my head). Also (late 70s) they had a very good store in the heart of the city of Delft, where I lived a couple of years. Don't know if it's still around.
I'm afraid it's tough business these days.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1345
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home