Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Slash/stones
Posted by: stoneskid ()
Date: January 12, 2021 08:15

He sat behind me at the wiltern show. Met Tom Petty that night too. Both super cool guys. 

[youtu.be]

Re: Slash/stones
Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: January 12, 2021 15:24

Didn't know the Stones were Slash's favorite band.
Thx for sharing.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: January 12, 2021 15:52

In his autobiography, Slash autobiography,
if memory serves me, he wrote that he managed to shake hand with Ronnie Wood, at the after-party after Stones show at the LA Coliseum.
Slash was there, and he remembers that the Stones played You Can't Always Get What You Want so good, that he'll never forget...at the time he was 15 yrs old

Now, if Slash's memory is good, that would be year 1980. Did the Stones played that year in L.A ? If they did, it would be interesting to find recording of that show(s) and to hear YCAGWYW....

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 12, 2021 16:11

In October 1981 they played in L.A.
[www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: January 12, 2021 16:19

GS1978
Thx for sharing.

Slash stated that Mick Taylor was one of his favourite guitarists. You can hear it every now and then.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 12, 2021 16:22

-Slash,`a gitt!

Date: January 12, 2021 16:36

novica
In his autobiography, Slash autobiography,
if memory serves me, he wrote that he managed to shake hand with Ronnie Wood, at the after-party after Stones show at the LA Coliseum.
Slash was there, and he remembers that the Stones played You Can't Always Get What You Want so good, that he'll never forget...at the time he was 15 yrs old

Now, if Slash's memory is good, that would be year 1980. Did the Stones played that year in L.A ? If they did, it would be interesting to find recording of that show(s) and to hear YCAGWYW....

Slash has known Ronnie since he was a little kid back in England (through his mum).

They played LA in 1981.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-12 16:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 12, 2021 17:43

Here another quote coming from Slash, and damn, I agree with him.

“The thing with the Stones is the Stones have such an ensemble sound that a lot of the times you don’t really differentiate between Keith [Richards] and who’s playing lead guitar. You just sort of listen to the Stones as a whole.”

“But the period that Mick Taylor was in the band, as far as lead guitar was concerned, that was my favorite Stones period. That was very much the background of my youth. But when I started playing guitar I recognized how wonderful the lead guitar was and a lot of that Stones material that I loved so much, a lot of it had to do with Mick Taylor’s voicing.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-12 17:52 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 12, 2021 17:43

GS1978

That would be a pretty bold rewritting of G&R history by Slash as the one who was obsessed with the Stones was Izzy Stradlin.
Slash was more in a Led Zep/Jimmy Page trip = a one-guitar band with a virtuoso that can play rythmn and lead.
Izzy was more into the two-guitars "ancient art of weaving" thing.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 12, 2021 17:51

dcba
GS1978

That would be a pretty bold rewritting of G&R history by Slash as the one who was obsessed with the Stones was Izzy Stradlin.
Slash was more in a Led Zep/Jimmy Page trip = a one-guitar band with a virtuoso that can play rythmn and lead.
Izzy was more into the two-guitars "ancient art of weaving" thing.

I read an interview somewhere YEARS ago that Izzy always brought "Exile" with him wherever he went.

I also read that Aerosmith/Joe Perry were Slash's "go to" back in the day.

but all of this was a long time ago....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 12, 2021 19:38

Met Izzy Stradlin in Atlanta at a Ronnie Wood show in the early 90's.

Pretty sure he is a huge Faces/Stones fan.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 12, 2021 19:41

Awwww I thought it was gonna be about The Pain Of Love

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gagiwh ()
Date: January 13, 2021 00:48

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 13, 2021 04:23

stoneskid
He sat behind me at the wiltern show. Met Tom Petty that night too. Both super cool guys. 

[youtu.be]
we might’ve been in the same row because he was two rows behind me. I turned around and saw him and pointed and said “Slash!” And that was the end of it . He had an expression on his face like someone just shit in the punch bowl and tried to totally ignore me. That was the extent of my interaction I wasn’t expecting anything . But it was cool to see him .

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: January 13, 2021 08:03

I was there, just as the show was starting I ran through that dark corridor to take a leak and bumped into Tom Petty running into the show...later saw him up above sitting with I think Eddie Murphy.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 13, 2021 10:53

I freakin miss Tom Petty.

And I haven't listened to the final David Bowie album, even though i've owned it since release day, because it will be the last time I ever to get a new Bowie album, I plan to listen on my way out of this world.

Prince came to my city with his "Piano" show and played a small theatre, I decided not to go as I wanted the full band experience, silly boy

And a friend wanted me to go to Melbourne to see George Michael in 2008 (i think) and I went to a football game instead, stupid boy

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 13, 2021 13:31

Slash has very good taste , besides his fierce work on the fingerboard . As far as Izzy goes , on his debut solo album of Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds you can clearly hear how much he loves the Stones as it is all over the album and it is good stuff !

Date: January 13, 2021 14:38

TheGreek
Slash has very good taste , besides his fierce work on the fingerboard . As far as Izzy goes , on his debut solo album of Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds you can clearly hear how much he loves the Stones as it is all over the album and it is good stuff !

agree, Greek!

love that first Izzy album...his other albums are hit & miss.

"Fire: the Acoustic Album" is good and has Stonesy-influence on some (and needs Axl singing on some)...

worth a listen.

...of course, this thread is about Slash....who is awesome.

He played on Bernard's last album - "My Friend Sin" was the name of the tune, I think...

Date: January 13, 2021 14:46

stickyfingers101
TheGreek

agree, Greek!

"Fire: the Acoustic Album" is good and has Stonesy-influence on some (and needs Axl singing on some)...

worth a listen.

He played on Bernard's last album - "My Friend Sin" was the name of the tune, I think...

Didn't Slash play on CYHMK as well? That might not have been Bernard's latest album, though.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 13, 2021 14:53

TheGreek
As far as Izzy goes , on his debut solo album of Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds you can clearly hear how much he loves the Stones as it is all over the album and it is good stuff !

During his 93 tour he covered "Jiving Sister Fanny" "Crackin' Up" "Little Red Rooster" and "Happy" (at least once).

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: January 13, 2021 15:32

He did Jiving Siser almost every show. His verison of Cracking Up is unbeleivably good. I have it and listen regularly

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 13, 2021 15:56

I'm sure both Slash and Izzy, and the rest of the Stones love(d) the Stones

Date: January 13, 2021 16:23

DandelionPowderman
stickyfingers101
TheGreek

agree, Greek!

worth a listen.

Didn't Slash play on CYHMK as well? That might not have been Bernard's latest album, though.

CYHMK is on the album ("The Bura")...Slash plays on "Dragon Attack" and "My Friend Sin"...both are pretty good tracks.

Chuck D (Public Enemy) guests on CYHMK...I like this track too.

[www.waddywachtelinfo.com]

Date: January 13, 2021 16:52

dcba
TheGreek
As far as Izzy goes , on his debut solo album of Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds you can clearly hear how much he loves the Stones as it is all over the album and it is good stuff !

During his 93 tour he covered "Jiving Sister Fanny" "Crackin' Up" "Little Red Rooster" and "Happy" (at least once).
That was a good tour and a great memory as well .

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 13, 2021 18:04

TheGreek

Indeed.
Ronnie even played on Take A Look At The Guy, on that album.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 14, 2021 17:44

There's also the story that Slash was present in the studio when Keith recorded Thru And Thru. When he finally asked Keith if he could also play on the track Keith told him in a very Keith-ish way that unfortunately this will not happen.

Date: January 14, 2021 19:11

doitywoik
There's also the story that Slash was present in the studio when Keith recorded Thru And Thru. When he finally asked Keith if he could also play on the track Keith told him in a very Keith-ish way that unfortunately this will not happen.
I would have loved to be a fly buzzing around the room to hear and see the expression on Slash face after Keith told him that smoking smiley

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 14, 2021 19:32

From slash’s autobiography:

“ The Stones were in town during this period; they were staying at the Sunset Marquis recording at Don Was's house, working on Bridges to Babylon. I went over and checked out a few sessions, and watching them work, watching them do their thing, made me feel even worse about my situation. They had a chemistry that encompassed all of their very distinct personalities but never lacked respect. Keith would roll in and pick on Ronnie relentlessly but Ronnie is such a nice, amiable guy that it was all okay. It had to be because Keith is pretty sinister and such a profound narcissist that he has to take it out on someone. He can't take it out on Mick and Charlie ... though he tries. They're so resilient that it doesn't work, so Ronnie gets it all. As Ronnie says, "Keith has these tyrannical moods." But as harsh as it ever gets, it is all within the parameters of mutual respect.

One particular evening, after they were done for the day, I went back to Ronnie's hotel room and hung out for a while. He asked me if I knew Keith. I said I didn't, and had never met him one-on-one, so he took me over to his room, introduced us, and left me there. It was dark, with some old blues playing on the stereo. The one lamp that was dimly lit illuminated Keith's face with the sort of creepy glow as he sat on the couch. I sat in a chair by the coffee table while he sized me up. He taked for a few minutes, then suddenly pulled out a butterfly knife and flipped it around a few times to show me who's boss. He slammed it down on the table between us.

"Um...Okay," I said.

Later that night we went to dinner at Chasen's. Keith and I stood at the bar, talking about dope and jail, and I could tell that he was just putting up with me by that point. I'd been at the studio rehearsing all day, so when the conversation swung around to my band, I let it all out.

Keith took it all in, and then looked me deep in the eye. "Listen," he said. "There's only one thing you never do - you never leave."

I knew where he was coming from; if you never leave, no matter what they say, you were there. If you are always the one to show up at rehearsal and stay until the end, even when the times are tough and not everyone is getting along, the one thing that your bandmates will never be able to hold over your head is the fact that you walked out. It's true: if you show up to rehearsal or recording and you're the last one there, you are the guy who can't be @#$%& with. A perfect example was the great Rolling Stones song "Happy," from their Exile on Main St. album. As legend has it, while Keith was waiting for the rest of the band to show up, he wrote the whole song by himself. When they arrived, he presented it to them as if to say "What took you so long?" I definitely wanted to be that guy who would overcome all these obstacles and produce music. When you're always there, you're the one that holds all the cards.

Keith inspired me; I felt I had to try harder. The next day I tried to refocus my outlook and I showed up at the Complex ready to make it work at all costs. And that's when I got slapped in the face once again: Axl never showed up to rehearse, and the attorney's negotiation of our "employment contracts" had taken a really insulting turn. God bless Keith for trying, but there was nothing I could do - I had to go”

I met Slash for all of 30 seconds once. He was nice, signed a piece of paper and shook my hand. He was smaller than I expected him to be. I think the top hat gives him a false few inches! I also met a woman who had been his kids Nanny while having a smoke outside one of the Stones London stadium shows. She said he has very good manners and is a nice guy....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-14 19:33 by Paddy.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 14, 2021 22:28

doitywoik

I remember that, too. Wasn´t the Keith quote:
"Boy, don´t press your luck!
You don´t come anywhere near my @#$%& track!" ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-14 22:29 by TooTough.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 15, 2021 01:43

yea, I'm gonna be seeing Gun n' Roses for the first time in November smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home