Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones: Promo Video Restoration | Mercury Studios
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: January 15, 2022 22:09

stonesman87
Well, we've gone virtually a whole year since this first came to light, with no news or progress.

[www.mercurystudios.co] still shows only the promo clip with no other details.

An e-mail I sent to Mercury Studios almost 6 months ago on 19.7.21, asking for any details, has gone without reply.

We still don't even know if it's a proposed commercial DVD release or anything else about it. It's a year-old mystery. Does anybody know anything about this "project" and any progress that's being made? confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

..... well, back to the question. I won't be telephoning them - I'm all the way "down under" in Australia! Would cost me a bomb to make a phone call. Can anydody who lives closer to Mercury Studios get in touch with them on a local basis to ask what's happening, and in fact what it's all about? confused smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 16, 2022 01:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-16 10:45 by Irix.

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: January 16, 2022 05:33

Irix
stonesman87

Can anydody who lives closer to Mercury Studios get in touch with them on a local basis to ask what's happening, and in fact what it's all about?

You could send them an eMail: [email protected]

I did that on 19.7.21 - see my quoted message two entries above. Still haven't got a reply. confused smiley

That's aside from the fact that there hasn't been a single change or additional mention at [www.mercurystudios.co] since the promo video was posted there a year ago. confused smileyconfused smiley

OK, it took a long time for The Beatles' Get Back docuseries to be completed, but at least we got official announcements about progress from time to time. This is different. We don't even know what form it will take or if it's going to be a commercial DVD. I'm not necessarily busting for a final release, or whatever it might be, but it would at least be something to know what it's about. All we've had since the promo video was posted is "official silence". confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-16 06:15 by stonesman87.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 16, 2022 10:33

There will have to a promo video release at some date. They're running out of vintage material now. This way they can also pawn off the post-Wyman videos and get some mileage out of them.

There will never be a Rolling Stones Anthology anywhere near the Beatles. For one thing there is plenty of material for the Beatles pre-1963. Tony Sheridan, Live in Hamburg. The Beatles had been together, sans Ringo, for near 6 years before they hit it big. The Stones seem to have done it on the run. They weren't together that long before they started recording. Crossfire Hurricane is probably as close as we're ever going to get. We've got all the Brian we're ever going to get, and now Charlie too. No more memories from them.

As far as we know there are no Stones recordings before the I.B.C. sessions. No recordings of them pre-Bill and Charlie. The Gomelski video is considered lost. We hear about Bill's acetate, but we don't get to hear it.

I'm curious about those hours of interview with Wyman we never got to hear for Crossfire. More from Brian would have been interesting, but he died before rock stars started getting interviewed seriously.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: January 16, 2022 19:21

thank you for this update
i think at some point we will get a flood of projects
i think mick and Keith both ticker with projects
it would be cool if management at lest hinting to what is in development
we are the consumer right
i think 4 festivals concerts 2022.. 4 club shows2022.. a finished 26 song new release
one expand 76 77 release and everything// rewind// is not to much to ask for
an audio release of the best of no filter tour with charlie tribute
who seconds the motion
????????

Posted by: mickboy ()
Date: January 17, 2022 02:05

But we have to re focus on what we have here.
It WASN’T an announcement for an upcoming product.
It was a statement that the Stones have commissioned this company to restore their promo video library.

That alone is totally significant.
That Mick is taking stock of their historical artifacts and bringing them up to today’s standards speaks volumes that, business wise, he’s not sitting his ass.
Mickboy

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2022 05:41

mickboy
But we have to re focus on what we have here.
It WASN’T an announcement for an upcoming product.
It was a statement that the Stones have commissioned this company to restore their promo video library.

That alone is totally significant.
That Mick is taking stock of their historical artifacts and bringing them up to today’s standards speaks volumes that, business wise, he’s not sitting his ass.
Mickboy

True... if true.

Mick can be flip, as it is well known. 'Oh I don't like the past' says the guy that records new vocals on eons old outtakes, whether it's for a new album or a deluxe reissue.

I haven't looked but it seems to me that The Beatles have 3 hits compilations and 2 'others' compilations.

The Stones... only including BIG HITS 1 and 2 plus MADE IN THE SHADE onward... as in, officially per deals, a lot.

Big difference in bands, obviously - one has been recording and touring for a lot of years since 1969 and having put out on their own as well as their first label putting out A LOT... they've never really gone away.

Wouldn't be a surprise at all if no one, in general, notices the video upgrades.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: January 17, 2022 11:18

Good thing they restore their old footage. Even 'recent' stuff like Four Flicks or Biggest Bang look blurry in their SD resolution and 4:3 format on a modern UHD OLED screen. Same for their promovids & videoclips.

Too bad most of the Stones promovideos are cringy playback videos with minimal effort. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outThe exceptions in my opinion are:

- Harlem Shuffle
- She was Hot
- Undercover of the Night
- Love is Strong
- Anybody Seen my Baby
- Like a Rolling Stone
- SexDrive

Date: January 17, 2022 12:35

ribbelchips
Good thing they restore their old footage. Even 'recent' stuff like Four Flicks or Biggest Bang look blurry in their SD resolution and 4:3 format on a modern UHD OLED screen. Same for their promovids & videoclips.

Too bad most of the Stones promovideos are cringy playback videos with minimal effort. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outThe exceptions in my opinion are:

- Harlem Shuffle
- She was Hot
- Undercover of the Night
- Love is Strong
- Anybody Seen my Baby
- Like a Rolling Stone
- SexDrive

Too Much Blood?

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: January 17, 2022 13:35

Oh yeah. Forgot about that one!

There are some others that aren't exactly bad, but not great either... Out of Tears, Saint of Me, Doom & Gloom...

But the official promo's for Start me Up, Miss You, Hang Fire, Worried About You, Ain't too Proud to beg, Neighbours, Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold... My oh my..tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-17 13:35 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: January 17, 2022 13:51

ribbelchips

There are some others that aren't exactly bad, but not great either... Out of Tears, Saint of Me, Doom & Gloom...

But the official promo's for Start me Up, Miss You, Hang Fire, Worried About You, Ain't too Proud to beg, Neighbours, Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold... My oh my..tongue sticking out smiley
I think that's exactly their charm. That they took those videos zero percent seriously at all and were just partying in front of the camera. It's only rock n roll is one of the most ridiculous ones were they are flooding the tent with foam and Charlie almost gets drownes in between the foam. These videos are so bad and absolutely ridiculous that is makes them almost good.

Date: January 17, 2022 13:53

StonedRambler
ribbelchips

I think that's exactly their charm. That they took those videos zero percent seriously at all and were just partying in front of the camera. It's only rock n roll is one of the most ridiculous ones were they are flooding the tent with foam and Charlie almost gets drownes in between the foam. These videos are so bad and absolutely ridiculous that is makes them almost good.

+1

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 17, 2022 14:16

I really like "I Go Wild" Video:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: January 17, 2022 14:24

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]
That one is amazing. It's just capturing the Rolling Stones in their essence. Dangerous yet still with elegance. At this point Keith had perfected being Keith Richards. Wonder why I have never seen it before. It's surely one of their best

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-17 14:24 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 17, 2022 14:39

StonedRambler
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]
That one is amazing. It's just capturing the Rolling Stones in their essence. Dangerous yet still with elegance. At this point Keith had perfected being Keith Richards. Wonder why I have never seen it before. It's surely one of their best

smileys with beer

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 17, 2022 17:03

I love everything Voodoo Lounge. Hope this gets at least a 1080p upgrade.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 17, 2022 17:44

ribbelchips

Beg to differ on She's So Cold. That is a fun performance video.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 19, 2023 22:28

anyone hear anything new about what's going on with this project?

it's been quite a long time without a update

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-19 22:30 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: March 19, 2023 23:05

ProfessorWolf

Over 50 videos were restored - [www.MercuryStudios.co] . But who knows when they'll be released. There's currently nothing about it on Mercury Studios' [Twitter.com] , [www.Instagram.com] or [www.YouTube.com] .

Maybe they'll release the videos on the occasions of anniversaries of singles, albums, etc - e.g. Undercover for the 40th anniversary end of 2023, It's Only Rock 'n Roll for the 50th anniversary in 2024, and so on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-20 12:25 by Irix.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: March 19, 2023 23:29

Speaking of promo videos, I've never seen this recording of "Play With Fire" regarded or listed as such, but it sure seems like a promo video to me:

[youtu.be]

Is this an official promo video, or simply a fan-made venture?

Date: March 20, 2023 00:10

sf37

Looks like a fan-made video where the video part was taken from a TV appearance and the audio part was taken from the single or album. This YT-Video isn't lip-sync.

Another version of the same 'Play With Fire' video with seemingly original audio - [www.YouTube.com] .

An official promo video would have been re-released under the official Rolling Stones or ABKCO label.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-20 00:20 by Irix.

Date: March 20, 2023 01:44

Irix
sf37

Looks like a fan-made video where the video part was taken from a TV appearance and the audio part was taken from the single or album. This YT-Video isn't lip-sync.

Another version of the same 'Play With Fire' video with seemingly original audio - [www.YouTube.com] .

An official promo video would have been re-released under the official Rolling Stones or ABKCO label.

Thanks so much Irix!

Another clue that this may not be official (which I just noticed) is the title of the video says "Playing With Fire", rather than simply the true track title of "Play With Fire".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-20 01:49 by sf37.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: March 20, 2023 10:29

sf37
Speaking of promo videos, I've never seen this recording of "Play With Fire" regarded or listed as such, but it sure seems like a promo video to me:

[youtu.be]

This is from Shinding TV Show with the sound of studio verson.
From the same show, Little red rooster is fun to watch and Satisfaction with Brian playing harp on the third verse

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 20, 2023 13:04

Irix
ProfessorWolf

Over 50 videos were restored - [www.MercuryStudios.co] . But who knows when they'll be released. There's currently nothing about it on Mercury Studios' [Twitter.com] , [www.Instagram.com] or [www.YouTube.com] .

Maybe they'll release the videos on the occasions of anniversaries of singles, albums, etc - e.g. Undercover for the 40th anniversary end of 2023, It's Only Rock 'n Roll for the 50th anniversary in 2024, and so on.

seems plausible

if your right we won't have to wait to long to find out

and the videos from undercover are a great place to startsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-20 13:11 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: March 20, 2023 19:17

AntoineParis
sf37

[youtu.be]

This is from Shinding TV Show with the sound of studio verson.
From the same show, Little red rooster is fun to watch and Satisfaction with Brian playing harp on the third verse

Thanks AntoineParis for the additional context on this.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home