Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Black Crowes new song Charming Mess
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 27, 2021 00:19

stickyfingers101
Hairball
Send It To me
Hairball
One of the most unoriginal bands that has ever existed IMO- from to the way they steal other bands riffs, to the way they dress, to the way the singer poses.
Sure there's a few decent/listenable tunes, but generally I see them as the precursor to retro-ripoff bands such as Wolfmother, The Darkness, and Greta Van Fleet, etc.

You mean like the Stones trying to be bluesmen and Chuck Berry, lifting Berry's riffs and an old gospel song called "The Last Time"?

There's nothing new under the sun!

Not quite. The Stones came out at a time when most of that material was unheard of to the general masses,
and they introduced these "new" styles of music to millions of people around the world helping to change the shape of rock and roll in the process.
The Black Crowes on the other hand basically regurgitated stuff that everyone already knew (same with Greta Van Fleet, et al), and did nothing to advance music.

fair enough, I get your points and agree to a degree about the Crowes.

but I think you are being a bit....rough (?) on them.

not every band has to "advance music" to be a great band (IMO)...they've played solid R&R for 30 years, sold over 20 million albums, toured almost endlessly and made millions of fans happy....

they'll be in the R&R HOF soon enough....deservedly.

CCR didn't do much to "advance music" either (IMO), but they're a great band (IMO)...

good sound, good vibes, good tunes, good times = good band.

this is Rock n' Roll, baby....not upper level physics.

but, as stated...I see your points....and I dislike their "jam band" stuff....blah.

Never said every band has to "advance music", but if someone is trying to compare the Stones legacy and what they accomplished to the Black Crowes, then it should be pointed out.
Some people enjoy the Proto-Psuedo-Neo-Retro-Rip-off stuff from the Black Crowes, and again there's a few decent/listenable tunes from them, but for me they're just a bit too derivative and unoriginal. IMO.

As for CCR, they're far more original than the Black Crowes and are deservedly in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame being inducted way back in '93 - the first year they were eligible.
Not so sure the Black Crowes will ever be able to say the same - they've been eligible since 2016, and so far haven't even been nominated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-27 00:45 by Hairball.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 27, 2021 00:29

Credit where credit is due:

In 1990, when MTV and all those rockradios were
full of synthi-metal-spandex-poser-rockbands
("Cinderella", "Poison", "Bon Jovi","Ratt" and
unfortunately many more) the Black Crowes released
Hard To Handle, Jealous Again, Twice As Hard.
They reminded not only me of the good old Rock´N´Roll,
when it was totally uncool to cover an Otis song
or play some Stones or Faces licks.

I loved them very much for that in the early 90s,
and still do now. Still Shake Your Money Maker
and Southern Harmony are outstanding albums.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 27, 2021 00:34

Twice As Hard is certainly a decent/listenable tune.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 27, 2021 01:00

Struttin Blues and Stare it Cold the guitar sound and crunch is so good how could you not like that as a music listener anyone

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 27, 2021 02:27

BowieStone
LeonidP
I got the first album too, Shake Your Money Maker, and I liked it a lot at the time -- still do! But I could never understand how they maintained a following after that, I was lost after Southern Harmony myself.

Amorica is their greatest record.

I agree...Three Snakes is good too, but Amorica is their peak.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 27, 2021 15:06

Hairball
stickyfingers101
Hairball
Send It To me
Hairball
One of the most unoriginal bands that has ever existed IMO- from to the way they steal other bands riffs, to the way they dress, to the way the singer poses.
Sure there's a few decent/listenable tunes, but generally I see them as the precursor to retro-ripoff bands such as Wolfmother, The Darkness, and Greta Van Fleet, etc.

You mean like the Stones trying to be bluesmen and Chuck Berry, lifting Berry's riffs and an old gospel song called "The Last Time"?

There's nothing new under the sun!

Not quite. The Stones came out at a time when most of that material was unheard of to the general masses,
and they introduced these "new" styles of music to millions of people around the world helping to change the shape of rock and roll in the process.
The Black Crowes on the other hand basically regurgitated stuff that everyone already knew (same with Greta Van Fleet, et al), and did nothing to advance music.

fair enough, I get your points and agree to a degree about the Crowes.

but I think you are being a bit....rough (?) on them.

not every band has to "advance music" to be a great band (IMO)...they've played solid R&R for 30 years, sold over 20 million albums, toured almost endlessly and made millions of fans happy....

they'll be in the R&R HOF soon enough....deservedly.

CCR didn't do much to "advance music" either (IMO), but they're a great band (IMO)...

good sound, good vibes, good tunes, good times = good band.

this is Rock n' Roll, baby....not upper level physics.

but, as stated...I see your points....and I dislike their "jam band" stuff....blah.

Never said every band has to "advance music", but if someone is trying to compare the Stones legacy and what they accomplished to the Black Crowes, then it should be pointed out.
Some people enjoy the Proto-Psuedo-Neo-Retro-Rip-off stuff from the Black Crowes, and again there's a few decent/listenable tunes from them, but for me they're just a bit too derivative and unoriginal. IMO.

As for CCR, they're far more original than the Black Crowes and are deservedly in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame being inducted way back in '93 - the first year they were eligible.
Not so sure the Black Crowes will ever be able to say the same - they've been eligible since 2016, and so far haven't even been nominated.

agree.

I agree also about CCR's music in comparison.

However, CCR fell apart and died as a band...there is something to be said for staying together for 30 years (though they did have some break-ups here and there....because the Robinson Bros hate each other...haha)

TBC's first 2 albums are solid from end-to-end (IMO), however they are hit-and-miss after that (IMO).

I also think TooTough's point is a very good one.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home