Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Black Crowes new song Charming Mess
Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: January 8, 2021 16:28

It's actually a b-side of shake your moneymaker but however it's a great song IMO. It's got something of Rod Stewarts' Hot Legs

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-09 10:17 by bart-man.

Re: OT: Black Crowes new song Charming Mess
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 8, 2021 16:47

thumbs up

too much "Hot Legs" for sure...but, whatever...I'll take some good Rn'R right now!

Crowes, baby!

thanks for sharing!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2021 17:08

very nice. a bit disconcerting at the beginning as how it sounded so close to Hot Legs but rectified as the vocals came in.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 8, 2021 19:07

Rich’s writing was immature at that point, but Chris had it all working. Sad that he turned into such a self-indulgent dick.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: January 8, 2021 19:37

I read that this song was originally slated to be the debut single from the Black Crowes, but they eventually left it off the Shake Your Moneymaker album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 8, 2021 20:26

One of the most unoriginal bands that has ever existed IMO- from to the way they steal other bands riffs, to the way they dress, to the way the singer poses.
Sure there's a few decent/listenable tunes, but generally I see them as the precursor to retro-ripoff bands such as Wolfmother, The Darkness, and Greta Van Fleet, etc.

Date: January 8, 2021 20:54

Hairball
One of the most unoriginal bands that has ever existed IMO- from to the way they steal other bands riffs, to the way they dress, to the way the singer poses.
Sure there's a few decent/listenable tunes, but generally I see them as the precursor to retro-ripoff bands such as Wolfmother, The Darkness, and Greta Van Fleet, etc.

hahaha...he is out of control!

I've seen them many, many times and I honestly think he overdoes it w/ the posing and Rooster-Cock-Strutting on purpose.

I mean, I saw them in dumpy clubs w/ 500 people and he struts around like he is at Wembley Stadium

(incidentally, I saw them at Wembley open for the Stones in 1995....good times)

I see your points, Hairball, but I guess I just like the "good ol' fashioned Rn'R" element of their sound.

I'm def a much bigger fan of their "Stones" sound than their "Grateful Dead" jam-band stuff....

"precursor to retro-rip-offs"...that's f'n brilliant, dude...I'm stealing it!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 8, 2021 23:35

Proto-Neo-Retro-Rip-off

They did play with Jimmy Page, though - even if they snubbed him in the end.

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: January 9, 2021 20:13

They seem to be aware of the similarities. From Rolling Stone:

In an era of overblown pop-metal bands, the Black Crowes stood out for their rootsy, Southern take on the Faces. Even if the group’s knowledge of Rod Stewart up to that point was limited to New Wave fare like “Young Turks.” “I wasn’t really feeling that. But [Drakoulias] sat down in my apartment and played me ‘Miss Judy’s Farm’ and I can remember my mind blowing out of my skull,” Robinson says. “It all starts to come together … As long as it’s soulful and as long as it’s sincere, that was really the electricity and the inspiration of that kind of music.”
The Faces vibe is unmistakable in “Charming Mess,” one of the previously unreleased tracks on the reissue. Originally recorded for Shake Your Money Maker, the barroom-piano tune was left off the album. Robinson doesn’t recall why exactly — “We had plenty of hit songs on that record; I guess we didn’t need it” — but he alludes to its Rod Stewart similarities. “The beginning of that song really sounds like ‘Hot Legs,'” he says. “Thank goodness Mr. Stewart has given us his blessing to release it after all these years.”

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 10, 2021 00:47

Hairball

I really like Wolfmother’s first record. The use of keys and synths really added a different dimension to their work vs. maybe a GVF. Then the band quit on the singer and they haven’t been nearly as appealing to me. I think the original keyboard/bass player really added a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-10 00:49 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 10, 2021 01:06

smileys with beerJust can't wait for this one, saw them on this tour with ZZ Top right before they got booted off for bashing the three amigos for the Bud sponsorship, although I can't recall if they played this tune livesmoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-10 01:08 by shadooby.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 10, 2021 04:28

I really like the early stuff, I see the Stones/Faces comparisons but I also got a real Humble Pie vibe which I dig.

I gave up after they went into jam band/grateful dead mode but I still listen to the 80's/90's material and love when they backed Jimmy Page.

Saw them quite a few times with and without Jimmy, always a good show, plus they blew Oasis off the stage when they toured together.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 10, 2021 09:49

They are a Faces/Stones/Zep cover band.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 10, 2021 10:57

"'Shake Your Money Maker' 30th-Anniversary Multi-Format Reissue Due In February"

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Date: January 10, 2021 11:34

TravelinMan
Hairball

I really like Wolfmother’s first record. The use of keys and synths really added a different dimension to their work vs. maybe a GVF. Then the band quit on the singer and they haven’t been nearly as appealing to me. I think the original keyboard/bass player really added a lot.

I was thinking the same thing. The debut album was very good. The rest is mediocre, imo. The organ/keyboards was important to their sound.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 10, 2021 11:50

Start Sunday on the right foot :

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 10, 2021 18:00

TBC have had some great songs. Good Morning Captain, By Your Side, Jealous Again, Twice As Hard, Remedy, Thorn In My Pride, Goodbye Daughters Of The Revolution, Kickin' My Heart Around, A Train Makes A Lonely Sound, Seeing Things, Midnight From The Inside Out, Sting Me, High Head Blues, Oh Josephine, Been A Long Time, Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye, Sister Luck, Wiser Time, Go Faster.

Some of their songs are a bit of a nod. The jam thing, I get needing to get away from what got you where you are to expand but it might've been a bit too alienating - imagine if the Stones had done several albums like EXILE - it would've gotten boring.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 10, 2021 18:12

TBC - I love all their records, and their last two Warpaint and Until The Freeze and Before the Frost have some of their best lyrics and arrangements. They were in their 40,s and really wrote some good songs and matured as writers for me anyway.
What is Home written by RR has to be one of the best ballads the last 10 years.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 11, 2021 04:09

Ouch Hairball!

Give a good listen to The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion and Amorica.

They borrowed, but everyone does. Particularly the Juke Joint band this site is dedicated to. Just because they borrow doesn’t mean they can’t come up with their own spin on the goods.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: January 11, 2021 04:27

I'm familiar with all of that material rattler2004, and again as I said there's a few decent/listenable tunes in their catalogue.
They're just a bit too contrived/unoriginal for my liking.

Like coffeepotman, I also saw them live with Oasis during The Tour of Brotherly Love back in 2001 at the Santa Barbara Bowl.
But unlike what coffeepotman thought, no way did the black Crowes blow Oasis off the stage - in fact they both sucked!
The Black Crowes were obnoxiously loud w/ a horrible nauseating mix, and Oasis were simply a far cry from their heyday w/replacement members and a horrible new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-11 04:28 by Hairball.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 11, 2021 04:55

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
Hairball

I was thinking the same thing. The debut album was very good. The rest is mediocre, imo. The organ/keyboards was important to their sound.

smileys with beer

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 24, 2021 17:38

dcba
"'Shake Your Money Maker' 30th-Anniversary Multi-Format Reissue Due In February"

[www.blabbermouth.net]

€39 for the vinyl box.

[www.amazon.it]

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 24, 2021 18:46

Hairball

Like coffeepotman, I also saw them live with Oasis during The Tour of Brotherly Love back in 2001 at the Santa Barbara Bowl.
But unlike what coffeepotman thought, no way did the black Crowes blow Oasis off the stage - in fact they both sucked!
The Black Crowes were obnoxiously loud w/ a horrible nauseating mix, and Oasis were simply a far cry from their heyday w/replacement members and a horrible new album.

I thought they were really good at Radio City Music Hall and much better than Oasis. The sound was really good where I was in the orchestra seats.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2021 18:50

bart-man
It's actually a b-side of shake your moneymaker but however it's a great song IMO. It's got something of Rod Stewarts' Hot Legs

video: [www.youtube.com]

It's actually unreleased until 2021.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 24, 2021 21:03

I got the first album too, Shake Your Money Maker, and I liked it a lot at the time -- still do! But I could never understand how they maintained a following after that, I was lost after Southern Harmony myself.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 24, 2021 21:29

LeonidP
I got the first album too, Shake Your Money Maker, and I liked it a lot at the time -- still do! But I could never understand how they maintained a following after that, I was lost after Southern Harmony myself.

Amorica is their greatest record.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 26, 2021 19:54

Hairball

You mean like the Stones trying to be bluesmen and Chuck Berry, lifting Berry's riffs and an old gospel song called "The Last Time"?

There's nothing new under the sun!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 26, 2021 20:01

The lost sessions is now my fav I listen to it more their other records. I have to say Rich and Chris in their mid forties really wrote some good songs and records, I think their quality of songs stand up very strong to what Mick and Keith wrote in their mid forties.

Date: January 26, 2021 20:09

Send It To me
Hairball

You mean like the Stones trying to be bluesmen and Chuck Berry, lifting Berry's riffs and an old gospel song called "The Last Time"?

Not quite. The Stones came out at a time when most of that material was unheard of to the general masses,
and they introduced these "new" styles of music to millions of people around the world helping to change the shape of rock and roll in the process.
The Black Crowes on the other hand basically regurgitated stuff that everyone already knew (same with Greta Van Fleet, et al), and did nothing to advance music.

Date: January 26, 2021 21:14

Hairball
Send It To me
Hairball

Not quite. The Stones came out at a time when most of that material was unheard of to the general masses,
and they introduced these "new" styles of music to millions of people around the world helping to change the shape of rock and roll in the process.
The Black Crowes on the other hand basically regurgitated stuff that everyone already knew (same with Greta Van Fleet, et al), and did nothing to advance music.

fair enough, I get your points and agree to a degree about the Crowes.

but I think you are being a bit....rough (?) on them.

not every band has to "advance music" to be a great band (IMO)...they've played solid R&R for 30 years, sold over 20 million albums, toured almost endlessly and made millions of fans happy....

they'll be in the R&R HOF soon enough....deservedly.

CCR didn't do much to "advance music" either (IMO), but they're a great band (IMO)...

good sound, good vibes, good tunes, good times = good band.

this is Rock n' Roll, baby....not upper level physics.

but, as stated...I see your points....and I dislike their "jam band" stuff....blah.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home