Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: OT: Pro-Trump mob storms US Capitol building
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 7, 2021 22:50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-08 13:52 by Koen.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: January 7, 2021 23:46

There is a major difference between peaceful protests and what the Neo-nazis white supremacists did yesterday. People comparing this to BLM are just racist. BLM is fighting for civil rights. Some people in the BLM protests did do violence things. Hopefully they were brought to justice. The people in DC yesterday are racist that want to suppress rights. Starting with disenfranchising black voters. The Trump followers were carrying the confederate flag. That’s just as bad as carrying a Nazi flag.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 7, 2021 23:58

Really sickening what happened and was allowed to occur at the Capitol, but as bad as it was it could have been much worse.
Still could be is a legit concern.

Four people killed, one at least by gunfire in the building.
Two live explosive devices found undetonated, one at each of the parties headquarters.
There was real violence intended no doubt.

US Capitol secured, 4 dead after rioters stormed the halls of Congress to block Biden's win
(CNN)The US Capitol is once again secured but four people are dead -- including one woman who was shot -- after supporters of President Donald Trump breached one of the most iconic American buildings, engulfing the nation's capital in chaos after Trump urged his supporters to fight against the ceremonial counting of the electoral votes that will confirm President-elect Joe Biden's win.[www.cnn.com]

Explosive devices found outside RNC and DNC were live not fake
U.S. Capitol Police confirmed Thursday that the devices found outside of the Democratic National Committee and Republican National Committee, a few blocks from the Capitol, could have caused "great harm."[abcnews.go.com]

This is why the inciters need to be held accountable as quickly as possible.
My bet is along with the slew of resignations we've seen today from the administration, we will see his soon.
The VP will likely take office with an agreement to pardon, similar to Ford/Nixon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 8, 2021 00:08

Targeting both the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee - seems there's much more to it than just a mob of disgruntled and out of control Trump followers.

Date: January 8, 2021 00:15

bv
This is why this thread is still open.

Whenever there is terror, then it is important for everyone to be able to say how it feels. This was very important for us in Norway, when a terrorist tried to blow up our government buildings, killing a total of 77 people that day, including shooting and killing 69 young politicians at the island Utøya back in 2011.

This is the only reason why this thread is still open, even if I have to work hours with cleaning out propaganda and fake news about the socalled stolen election, and others to blame for the chaos.

A recent IPSOS poll today in USA is saying that 80% of people in USA do condemn the terror in D.C. yesterday. Still, 18% said it was ok what they did. I do not have the exact source but that is what TV channels here in Norway are quoting.

Our news readers call the intruders "Donald Trump's hooligans". The Mayor of D.C. call it text book terrorism. We don't want it. I did not sleep much tonight, because I love USA and the US people. Hopefully there will be healing and understanding.

To quote Mike Pence speaking as senat leader tonight: "Let's Get Back To Work".

The 18% are as loud as they are wrong as witnessed here a lot.
Don't envy your editing..

Thanks for the forum to discuss, nice to get world views. Appreciated.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 8, 2021 00:22

Although Mr Trump has been by far the worst President of the USA in my generation,he will soon be a member of the public like most of us.

People were ready to have a go and disgrace Richard Nixon,but he done wrong, but nothing in the scale of Trump.

Ever since he became President,he has always reminded me of Benito Mussolini,with his swagger and bullish behaviour when he made his speeches to the nation.

The Italians got rid of him in 1945 and it wasn't a good day for him back then when he took his final breath.

Mr Trump will still be around as a very rich person, but to the general public all over the world, it will be good riddance to bad rubbish.thumbs up

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 8, 2021 01:07

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 8, 2021 01:09

How you could love both the Rolling Stones and Trump is beyond me. That is the very definition of cognitive dissonance.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 8, 2021 01:11

I highly object to what milehigh is dishing out. Just because he didnt come right out and say go to the capital break in endanger people and in fact cause four people to die (even though they were involved), doesnt mean he did not make it plain and clear that was his intent. And intent is the point of all laws here, or most anyway. It is clear he had the intent to incite a riot if not an overturning of the government itself. Apologists like our friend milehigh here are exactly the problem: leaning on generalities and acting like these people are acting in good faith or anyone's best interest other than their own is a big mistake. And a mistake that some people make over and over despite having their faces rubbed in the shite continually as a result of their naivety and willingness to believe the unbelievable and pardon the unpardonable.

Now lets see if there is any real justice in this country. It has been proven many times over the past 4 or 5 years there is not, so i expect that trend to follow.

I hate those people more than i ever thought myself capable of. It hurts too, believe me. But someone has to pay and that someone needs to be high up and take all the followers with them to show that perhaps no one is above the law after all.

Fat chance of that happening.

An aside: i just saw Barack Obama's book in a store today, the photo on the cover nearly brought me to tears, and that is highly unusual for me. We need to start honoring and respecting that man for all he put up with and attempted to do. Large statues in his likeness are in order to replace the ones of the racist south that are being torn down, finally. He is a true American hero and there are not many of those around anymore.

jb

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 8, 2021 01:12

This violent and tragic spectacle would never have happened without the encouragement of Donald Trump. His endless stream of lies regarding the
“rigged election” are simply false. He clearly motivated and directed this
angry mob towards the capital. Donald Trump is the problem and he should be removed from office.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 8, 2021 01:13

Like so many things in the past year, I didn't think it would come to this, yet it is not surprising. Not exactly a "hot take" but I bet Trump's approval rating tanks after this.

I agree that he should be removed form office. He tried to overthrow a legitimate election, and then instigated violence to try and do so. Saying that's OK sets a dangerous precedent.

Yes, there needs to be an investigation into the response and lack of preparedness.

And absolutely, BLM protesters were treated differently.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-08 01:47 by ryanpow.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 8, 2021 01:42

jbwelda
I highly object to what milehigh is dishing out. Just because he didnt come right out and say go to the capital break in endanger people and in fact cause four people to die (even though they were involved), doesnt mean he did not make it plain and clear that was his intent. And intent is the point of all laws here, or most anyway. It is clear he had the intent to incite a riot if not an overturning of the government itself. Apologists like our friend milehigh here are exactly the problem: leaning on generalities and acting like these people are acting in good faith or anyone's best interest other than their own is a big mistake. And a mistake that some people make over and over despite having their faces rubbed in the shite continually as a result of their naivety and willingness to believe the unbelievable and pardon the unpardonable.

Now lets see if there is any real justice in this country. It has been proven many times over the past 4 or 5 years there is not, so i expect that trend to follow.

I hate those people more than i ever thought myself capable of. It hurts too, believe me. But someone has to pay and that someone needs to be high up and take all the followers with them to show that perhaps no one is above the law after all.

Fat chance of that happening.

An aside: i just saw Barack Obama's book in a store today, the photo on the cover nearly brought me to tears, and that is highly unusual for me. We need to start honoring and respecting that man for all he put up with and attempted to do. Large statues in his likeness are in order to replace the ones of the racist south that are being torn down, finally. He is a true American hero and there are not many of those around anymore.

jb

smileys with beer I totally agree with you.

Date: January 8, 2021 02:07

US Capitol Police officer has died following riot at Capitol

A US Capitol Police officer has died from events stemming from Wednesday's riot at the Capitol, three sources confirmed to CNN.

The police officer is now the fifth person to die as a result of the day's violence. One woman was shot and killed by Capitol Police as the crowd breached the building and three others suffered medical emergencies that proved fatal.

Rioters on Wednesday breached the Capitol building and the Senate chamber, ransacked the offices of Pelosi and other Capitol offices, and a laptop was stolen from the office of Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley.
[www.cnn.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 8, 2021 02:24

Trump just read a speech that someone wrote for him, condemning the violence, lying that he immediately called in the National Guard, telling everyone that they need to work together to defeat COVID (remember COVID? Someone reminded him about COVID...) and calling for a seamless transition of power. Apparently someone told him that he stepped in it and has some legal exposure to try to minimize. Also, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 8, 2021 02:31

Politifact on suggested Antifa involvement at yesterday’s events: [www.politifact.com]

The short version:

IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT
A crowd of President Donald Trump’s supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol Jan. 6, wearing and waving Trump-branded paraphernalia and flags as they sought to overturn the election.

There is no credible evidence that the crowd was infiltrated or led by antifa activists in disguise. Specific individuals held up online as antifa activists turned out to be Trump supporters.

Trump had encouraged his supporters to come to Washington to protest the election. He spoke at a rally hours before the violence erupted and urged those in attendance to march to Congress.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 8, 2021 03:47

trump just said that the "invaders did not represent America" --------------- he's right, they represented him..........confused smiley

Date: January 8, 2021 06:06

50k reward on the pipe bomber.. I'm betting he gets found or ratted out.

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-08 06:07 by MisterDDDD.

Date: January 8, 2021 07:05

"Ending a day of public silence, Mr. Trump posted a 2½-minute video on Twitter on Thursday evening denouncing the mob attack in a way that he had refused to do a day earlier. Reading dutifully from a script prepared by his staff, he declared himself “outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem” and told those who broke the law that “you will pay.”

While he did not give up his false claims of election fraud, he finally conceded defeat. “A new administration will be inaugurated on Jan. 20,” Mr. Trump acknowledged. “My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power. This moment calls for healing and reconciliation.”

Mr. Trump initially resisted taping the video, agreeing to do it only after aides pressed him and he appeared to suddenly realize he could face legal risk for prodding the mob, coming shortly after the chief federal prosecutor for Washington left open the possibility of investigating the president for illegally inciting the attack by telling supporters to march on the Capitol and show strength.

Pat A. Cipollone, the White House counsel, had warned Mr. Trump of just that danger on Wednesday as aides frantically tried to get the president to intervene and publicly call off rioters, which he did only belatedly, reluctantly and halfheartedly.

“We are looking at all actors, not only the people who went into the building,” Michael R. Sherwin, the U.S. attorney in Washington, told reporters. Asked if that included Mr. Trump, he did not rule it out. “We’re looking at all actors,” he repeated. “If the evidence fits the elements of a crime, they’re going to be charged.”
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 8, 2021 07:47

I am 70, have lived in the US my entire life, and have never seen anything like it. I am disgusted, sickened, sad, and angry. Trump has succeeded in eroding the confidence we have in our institutions. It is SOLELY driven by his insatiable ego. He cares for nobody but himself. He truly is unhinged and a danger to the world. The sooner he gets his ass out of Washington, the better. The rioters are NOT patriots, as they claim. They are CRIMINALS, and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the laws they broke.

Much more to say, but I’ll end there.

May God help America. We’ll survive this but it’ll take a while to heal.

Love and peace to you all.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: January 8, 2021 07:57

Were the majority peaceful protestors?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 8, 2021 08:03

Joe's got a cough, sounds kind of rough
........................... Torn & Frayed - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: January 8, 2021 09:59

First of all let me compliment BV on his enduring patience, particularly with this OT and others. Indeed,IORR is one of the first sites I go to for COVID coverage. The links to scientific journals are especially helpful. As regards the subject at hand,the question seems to be: What will emerge the two distinct universes, which are in the deepest ways opposed? One thing, however, we can agree on is more emphasis on simple protection, on easily available testing, and on more detailed tracing and an efficient inoculation procedure. Enough people have already died from this !

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 8, 2021 10:53

This thread is still open, after a major cleaning.

Meanwhile I will just post the front pages of the two largest newspapers in Norway arriving on my door this morning. They are reflecting the news in our country for the past 24 hours.

Aftenposten:
A man without honor

VG:
Will USA dear to let Trmp rule for another 12 days?
Experts: This is what he might do now

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-08 12:50 by bv.

Date: January 8, 2021 11:52

This thread is open in respect of police Officer Brian D. Sicknick, who died at the Capitol when doing his job protecting the democracy. Also, this thread will be open because the terror attack staged by Trump is too bad to be hidden and forgotten.

I will kick out anyone who support terror, and any such comments will be deleted as soon as I get time to clean up this thread. Patience please, and please do not post here if you think the actions of Trump have been right or great lately.

Dozens of police were injured. Five people died. The world is now unstable because of Trump. Luckily he will be confronted by his actions by the legal systems.

US Capitol Police confirm death of officer after pro-Trump riot (CNN)

The US Capitol Police confirmed the death of one of their officers late Thursday from injuries suffered when a mob of President Donald Trump's supporters stormed the Capitol a day before.

Capitol Police said in a statement that Officer Brian D. Sicknick died at approximately 9:30 p.m. ET Thursday "due to injuries sustained while on-duty."

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-08 11:58 by bv.

Date: January 8, 2021 11:54

People at the US Capitol riot are being identified and losing their jobs (CNN)

As images and social media posts of Wednesday's insurrection at the US Capitol circulate online, some of those who were present are being identified, and some have lost or left their jobs because of it.

Navistar, a direct marketing company in Maryland, announced that an employee had been terminated after he was photographed wearing his company ID badge inside the breached Capitol building.

"While we support all employees' right to peaceful, lawful exercise of free speech, any employee demonstrating dangerous conduct that endangers the health and safety of others will no longer have an employment opportunity with Navistar Direct Marketing," the company said in a statement provided to CNN.

Bjornulf

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 8, 2021 12:26

bv
Aftenposten:
A man without honor

Very good!
Caricatures and satire are so necessary and often sum things
up better than 1000 words.

Here´s Colbert again, always changing fun and seriousness:

And Seth Meyers is always spot on, this time not as funny as usual:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-08 13:01 by TooTough.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 8, 2021 13:06

That was actually filmed before DT's speech, but still.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 8, 2021 13:18

Very enjoyable watching! It will be interesting to see what's (maybe) going to happen in the next 12 days. Lawyers are surely working overtime.
And then .... some weirdo is probably going to make a movie titled something like "How January 6 2021 washed out nine-eleven 2001" ...
confused smiley

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 8, 2021 13:19

Dear BV!

Why this on IORR?
I don't think this has anything to do with IORR.
Please close it!

Date: January 8, 2021 13:23

Dear BV!

Why this on IORR?
I don't think this has anything to do with IORR.
Please close it!

[iorr.org]

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home