Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
OT: Pro-Trump mob storms US Capitol building
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 7, 2021 08:55

Normally we do not discuss politics on IORR. However, this is not politics. At least four people are dead. The US State Capitol was invaded by a mob. This is terror.

I feel sad. I hope for the best for all the thousands of my US friends, and for the great real USA I love so much. Hopefully the lawmakers may stop this desperate coup attempt, and get the great United States back into what it was in the past - a shining example of democracy. Right now, the headline of The Washington Post is just sad : "Democracy Dies in Darkness"

US Capitol secured, 4 dead after rioters stormed the halls of Congress to block Biden's win (CNN)

Pro-Trump mob storms Capitol in day of violence, disrupting electoral count. (New York Times)

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-07 09:05 by bv.

Re: OT: Pro-Trump mob storms US Capitol building
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 7, 2021 09:09

I hope the po-lice track down these thugs like they do with other, less light colored, individuals.

And that gal? No sympathy. None whatsoever. Hopefully she will be condemned for what she was: a terrorist who met the fate most true terrorists deserve.

Then there is the question of the instigator: is it treason or merely sedition? Either way a neck tie party is in order.

Something told me to stay home and clean the guns today.

jb

PS: feel free to remove if its too strong for your tastes. The world is watching.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 7, 2021 09:16

Reminds me Eastern Ukraine in 2014 with all those 'people's republics'. Same scenario.

Date: January 7, 2021 09:30

A sad day. I watched the news through the night. In disbelief.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 7, 2021 09:40

I´ve been to the US 3 times in 1994, 1997 and 2019,
always to see the Stones.

In 1994 I went from LA to NYC by Greyhound
with longer stops in California, Arizona, Illinois,
Indiana, DC and New York. In 1997 I went there
with my father, visiting Philadelphia and NYC.
And in 2019 I went to NYC for a week.

On all three occasions I met so many great, friendly
and hospitable people. "The Americans" I know of.
I always say: If you visit a country, you will
always find the people you are looking for.

I grew up in a part of Northern Germany where US troups
were stationed. They and their families lived in the
neighborhood. One GI and his family lived in our block,
he was a native Cherokee.

And above all: The US and the other allies defeated H itler
and gave Germany the chance to be a democracy (again).

Why I say all that? This is my view on the US. And because
of that, it hurts to see what happened after 2001. The
Bushs, the wars, the NRA, police violence against
black people and above all: Trump. He
destroyed so much and the Republicans sinned by letting
him get through with all these lies and insults. Yesterday
"the other Americans" (all white, btw) showed up. That
country is so divided, Biden will not be able to unite
these two groups.

Those people storming the heart of democracy yesterday
are lost for the idea of democracy and are not
"the Americans" I met/knew of.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 7, 2021 09:44

The world is turning, but in the wrong way in my opinion. This and the Corona situation is going to change us and what we knew as traditional normalcy. Really hope I’m wrong but I would say hold on tight to yourself and people you love we’re in for a wild ride. Good luck everyone!

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: January 7, 2021 10:10

I sign everyting, what was written before in this threat. Let's hope, that this terrible evening, one of the hardest in the democratic history, will start a process of thinking about so many things. To loose fair, to stand together in this pandemic, to make democracy an instrument for all people. My point of view is from the european side of the atlantic. We also have people who try to divide people because of national interests or money. It's hard to see, if you're grown up in a time, when border lines disappeared und you made friends all over the world. I'm looking forward for our children and grandchildren, that the spirit of these times will come back. Let's stay together.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 7, 2021 10:19

I eliminated politics and even voting from my life. All I want is for folks to share the same respect that I show them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-07 10:40 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: January 7, 2021 10:27

I hope it will be better after 20 Jan. for you USA'ers.
This man (trump) is ready for ???? Alone in of for "Alcatraz"?

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: January 7, 2021 10:47

It was and is horrifying but the logical conclusion to everything Trump has openly incited and encouraged for years. Those who support and enable him and spread the lies and hate he peddles can't pretend they aren't part of this.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 7, 2021 10:55

I do not understand why the USA, or Great Britain, do not change to a proportional electoral system. If you do that you will have more than two parties to vote for.
Another question is how long the Republican Party will support Trump. One would think that they out of pure self-interest would distance themselves from him.
Trump? It's like that old Tina Turner song - "what you see is what you get". You voted him in. This is what you got.

Date: January 7, 2021 10:56

Thank you my sweet lady Jane, absolutely correct. There are a lot of people in high places who need to be held to account for this. Like I said, a necktie party is in order, a large one. Those "demonstrators" are ignorant redneck hicks, they don't know any better and are seemingly incapable of thinking rationally. The instigators...they know better. Criminal intent is what it is, and I think they should be implicated in the deaths of those who passed from their own actions and ignorance. The charge would be accessory to murder. Just to begin with, then we can move on to the more serious charges.

Give em a fair trial then take them out in the alley and string em up. Thats the way we do it out west.

jb

Date: January 7, 2021 10:59

>You voted him in. This is what you got.

Actually, no, he was not "voted...in", not at all. Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by more than two million votes. That is one of the many deep ironies here: these clowns are now against the electoral college, but it is how they came into power to begin with.

Hypocrites and parasites, thieves, liars and criminals.

jb

Date: January 7, 2021 11:23

Facebook and Twitter lock Donald Trump’s accounts after video address The Guardian)

Unprecedented actions by social media giants were aimed at addressing the president’s spread of misinformation and the incitement of violence

Twitter and Facebook took unprecedented actions to address the spread of misinformation and the incitement of violence by Donald Trump on their platforms on Wednesday, after supporters of the president stormed the US Capitol.

Both companies locked Trump’s accounts and removed several posts from the president that cast doubt on the election results and praised his supporters, who forcibly took to the government building as lawmakers attempted to tally votes for the election.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: January 7, 2021 11:23

Can we hear he singing the chorus to a 1966 song from "Napoleon XIV" now?

All the Best!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 7, 2021 11:28

the only headline I'd like to read is 'Trump impeached, removed from office and arrested'
(maybe that's the only way to save the country as well as the Republican Party)

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 7, 2021 11:32

slewan
the only headline I'd like to read is 'Trump impeached, removed from office and arrested'
(maybe that's the only way to save the country as well as the Republican Party)
Some of the Republicans are lost for democracy, some others don't have the balls to kick this mad man out of the White House asap.

Date: January 7, 2021 11:35

Twitter, Facebook and other social media have closed all posting access for the current US president Donald Trump, following numerous breaks of their posting policy. Also, they have deleted a recent video, and other posts, breaking their posting policy, with the purpose of generating protests and chaos.

Any normal open media site, including IORR, would make sure that any propaganda and false information will be taken away.

Please do not post pro Trump statements here, or any of the many blame games with conspiracy theories. They will be taken away, and if repeated, they will lead to posting access being deleted.

Bjornulf

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 7, 2021 11:51

Stephen Colbert...sums it up:

Date: January 7, 2021 12:56

Stonking commentary by Colbert.
Good point re Trump promising he would walk with them. His followers are too stupid to understand how they are being used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-07 13:58 by Lady Jayne.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 7, 2021 13:34

TooTough
Stephen Colbert...sums it up:

Thanks!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 7, 2021 13:52

Worst president.
Ever.

Date: January 7, 2021 14:04

The police will have plenty of cellphone data, location details, selfies, smiling pictures and documentation when they will prosecute the rioters in the Washington DC Capitol Building last night. Also, there are plenty of cameras inside the building, documenting every person breaking in.

Capitol riots: Pro-Trump protesters storm the US legislature - in pictures (BBC)

Protesters in support of US President Donald Trump swarmed the Capitol building, forcing officials to order lawmakers to shelter in place and halting debate in both the House and Senate. Congress was meeting to confirm President-elect Joe Biden's electoral college victory.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-07 14:07 by bv.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 7, 2021 14:06

a few things come to mind...insurrection is a crime. The arrests should be made and lets move on from there.
The stoking of the fires here are equally grotesque. The Senators from Missouri and Texas that added to the delusion and violence should be addressed.....perhaps the saddest day I've ever experienced as an American. Truly disgusted by these thugs.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 7, 2021 14:07

Still a couple of weeks to go before President Bidon takes charge,and that means a decent man and his female vice president will give some sort of normality to the USA.

I just hope that Mr Trump doesn't start stirring things up again as he is responsible for the awful things that happened last night.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 7, 2021 14:09

Can't help feeling sorry, for want of a better word, for all the decent Americans being tarred by the brush of the embarrassing and shameful abomination that is their President. I hope but doubt that Mike Pence has the guts to do what it takes to impeach him, in which case I hope that he's arrested at one minute past midnight on 21 January, though the rumour is that he's planning to be holed up at his Scottish golf course by then. One wonders why that might be... The charge sheet will be a long one but it could start with incitement to violence and complicity in the resulting deaths, which are charges that could be levelled at any average tin-pot dictator.

Date: January 7, 2021 14:15

Beast
Can't help feeling sorry, for want of a better word, for all the decent Americans being tarred by the brush of the embarrassing and shameful abomination that is their President. I hope but doubt that Mike Pence has the guts to do what it takes to impeach him, in which case I hope that he's arrested at one minute past midnight on 21 January, though the rumour is that he's planning to be holed up at his Scottish golf course by then. One wonders why that might be... The charge sheet will be a long one but it could start with incitement to violence and complicity in the resulting deaths, which are charges that could be levelled at any average tin-pot dictator.

The First Minister of Scotland has made it very clear he will not be welcome there.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 7, 2021 14:19

Many of us in and around NYC have been familiar for decades with this scumbag trump...
.. we already knew that he is a despicable dickhead...
Knew it before he ran for president and f*cked up the entire country.

Now... to the many. many people who were -- and some still are -- fooled by trump:
Now... do you get it??
He is dangerous.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 7, 2021 14:31

Stoneage
I do not understand why the USA, or Great Britain, do not change to a proportional electoral system. If you do that you will have more than two parties to vote for.
Another question is how long the Republican Party will support Trump. One would think that they out of pure self-interest would distance themselves from him.
Trump? It's like that old Tina Turner song - "what you see is what you get". You voted him in. This is what you got.

When politicians are in opposition they talk about proportional representation, but once they get into power they suddenly develop a great affection for the system that got them elected.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 7, 2021 14:31

bv
Normally we do not discuss politics on IORR. However, this is not politics. At least four people are dead. The US State Capitol was invaded by a mob. This is terror.

I feel sad. I hope for the best for all the thousands of my US friends, and for the great real USA I love so much. Hopefully the lawmakers may stop this desperate coup attempt, and get the great United States back into what it was in the past - a shining example of democracy. Right now, the headline of The Washington Post is just sad : "Democracy Dies in Darkness"

US Capitol secured, 4 dead after rioters stormed the halls of Congress to block Biden's win (CNN)

Pro-Trump mob storms Capitol in day of violence, disrupting electoral count. (New York Times)
Thank You for your kind words and support . At the end of the day we are a nation of law and rule and without that we are not free . Freedom is not free and so many people have given there lives and shed there blood in sacrifice to protect and honor our free society that we live in. Yesterday was a shame and stain on our nations history . Where a mob led by someone who does not respect and honor our values as a free society and only thinks of himself and not the Nations best Interest and it's citizens . Yesterday I was deeply ashamed and embarrassed and horrified beyond my comprehension at what I witnessed before my eyes . God help us and hear our pleas for mercy and peace !

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home