Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O2 last night 2007, What a BANG!
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 7, 2021 02:18

A shout out to you Terry, defending me just having bought a Gibson 355 from 1967 from Andy in Denmark Street. I know it is refinished but it's a beauty.

Anyway you ARE THE BEST MATE!

The way Mick takes I'll Go Crazy into Dice.... MMmmmmmm That is really where the Glimmer Twins hit home! I just wish I hadn't been tee total then.

Anyone else remember the last London shows in 2007? Ronnie was top of his game IMHO.

Re: O2 last night 2007, What a BANG!
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2021 02:54

Thought night 3 was the weakest of the three, to be honest. Good show without question but as I recall they'd had their end of tour party the night before and it had a 'lets get it over with' feel about it compared to nights 1 & 2.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 7, 2021 03:05

i was there, wasnt anywhere near the standard of warsaw 2018 but was good enough, the extended brown sugar at the end was great, and i thought that was the last time the band would play live, glad i was wrong there.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 7, 2021 10:28

I was at the first two nights but not the third: the second night was a beauty.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: January 7, 2021 10:41

I was there nights 1 and 3. I really believed it was the last time they would perform - I'd never seen the kids and grandkids up on stage before, so it seemed like the end of an era to me. Glad I was wrong.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2021 10:46

Heck YEAH !! .... Army Hat Girl .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2021 04:33

Lady Jayne
I was there nights 1 and 3. I really believed it was the last time they would perform - I'd never seen the kids and grandkids up on stage before, so it seemed like the end of an era to me. Glad I was wrong.

Listening/watching Honky Tonk Women and SFTD is sure sounds like they should've retired! Wow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 8, 2021 04:48

In hindsight, ABB was not the best tour when compared to Licks and it's multi-venue format that came before, and 50 and Counting w/Mick Taylor that came after.
I saw several ABB shows with the two Hollywood Bowl shows and Nijmegen being highlights for me, but the main takeaway/memory from that tour is Keith banging his head and thankfully recovering.

*Just remembered another highlight - seeing the Stones at MGM in Vegas, and then after the show jumping in a cab with my wife to go see Prince perform in a small club into the wee hours of the morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-08 04:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 8, 2021 15:03

Hairball
In hindsight, ABB was not the best tour when compared to Licks and it's multi-venue format that came before, and 50 and Counting w/Mick Taylor that came after.
I saw several ABB shows with the two Hollywood Bowl shows and Nijmegen being highlights for me, but the main takeaway/memory from that tour is Keith banging his head and thankfully recovering.

*Just remembered another highlight - seeing the Stones at MGM in Vegas, and then after the show jumping in a cab with my wife to go see Prince perform in a small club into the wee hours of the morning.

Yeah, but the autumn leg 2006 gave us a couple of really special shows, Austin and Giants Stadium come to mind. And Copenhagen 2007 is up there as well, Keith was really on fire after the Ullevi debacle. I was in the Rattlesnake In in Gothenburg and Keith was not feeling well. Agree with Gazza, I thought the 2nd O2 was amazing, much better than the 1st and 3rd.

Then again, Albany 2005 must've been a horrible experience, NO DICE?!?!!?!?eye popping smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 8, 2021 15:56

As much as I enjoyed the O2 shows in 2007, I think the post-2012 shows were better.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 8, 2021 17:41

Green Lady
As much as I enjoyed the O2 shows in 2007, I think the post-2012 shows were better.

I concur. I, too, enjoyed the A Bigger Bang performances, but, in retrospect, they were disappointment after the largely, wonderful Licks tour. I thought they were much improved, however, when I saw them at Twickenham in 2018; especially Keith. His positive lifestyle-changes have given him a new leash of life on stage; and Jagger is forever a wonder.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 9, 2021 02:17

Green Lady

Indeed

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 9, 2021 02:33

Green Lady

+1!

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: January 9, 2021 11:35

Green Lady

Totally agree. I seem to remember I was next to you at the O2 in Nov 2012. Their performance was a revelation after a long gap.

Date: January 9, 2021 14:20

Very good tour. Only 2007 was not that good, but even that only the first half (moustache keith, bad shows at werchter, frankfurt, madrid and more), they recovered with great shows in dusseldorf, slane and london.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 9, 2021 15:08

I was at that 3rd concert on the 26th of August. I can't compare with the previous two though. All I know is that I thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't share opinions that it would be the last one. Even with different family members joining the band on stage at the end. It merely had a feeling of "we're finally home again".
I also remember having a very nice conversation with Charlie Watts' aunt (at her considerable age she was, modestly, swinging on the Stones music enjoying it very much!). She told me things you would not hear otherwise. I also had a very brief chat with Bill Wyman while at the Rattlesnake. He was trying to get some Japanese sake at the (great!) sushi bar (no alcohol served, though). I translated, but the Japanese barman understood English well enough cool smiley).
Ah, and I almost forgot to tell that while I was carefully starting to slice a piece from the huge mazipan cake (someone has to be the first, sorry), white with a huge red tongue&lips logo, I was complimented by a stunningly beautiful woman (I even dared to tell my wife that) so I offered her a piece of the logo. Some moments in life are unforgettable cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-09 21:32 by georgie48.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 9, 2021 20:56

Missed the last night.

First night was next to Rockman on the floor, er, in floor seats, enjoyable show. winking smiley
2nd night was a few rows up, Keith's side near the stage, met Ben C there, great show! cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 9, 2021 21:39

Rockman

Heck YEAH !! .... Army Hat Girl .......

Hey Rockman, weren't you at the performance by Chuck Lavell in Melbourne supported by Tim Reese in 2014 in Melbourne (Stones at Hanging Rock cancelled)?
Or was it your twin brother?winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 9, 2021 23:14

Yep .... was there at the Chuck Leavell show ...

ROCKMAN

Date: January 10, 2021 15:33

Rockman
Yep .... was there at the Chuck Leavell show ...

It was a nice little show, considering the frustration I had of not being able to go to Hanging Rock for the second time in one year.
At least, with the help of Shelley L., my daughter, who lived in Sydney at the time, got a smashing ticket (inside the tongue ring) for the Sydney concert a week later.
My wife and I had already booked (as turned out) a great holiday in New Caledonia, so no Stones for us in Down Under. Well, with Abu Dhabi, Stockholm, Düsseldorf and Pink Pop (NL) behind me that year I was a very happy fan anyway cool smiley
Anyway, give my regards to Angee, because I saw her and even briefly talked to her (and a lady friend) somewhere on the the global Stones road, but I can't remember anymore where.

Date: January 10, 2021 19:02

georgie48, hi, regards back, if you mean me! Don't know where or when, but wherever, it's all good!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 10, 2021 19:13

angee
georgie48, hi, regards back, if you mean me! Don't know where or when, but wherever, it's all good!

Yes,I did mean you (on the photo with Rockman). I'm sure we talked about the Stones and possibly about where we came from and it must have been either just before or after a concert. Then we, Stones fans, are at our best!
Who knows, maybe we meet again in 2022. You'll be easy to recognize and then I can introduce myself properly. For sure Rockman will be around too winking smiley
Meanwhile stay healthy!
smileys with beer

Date: January 13, 2021 19:57

g48: That's not me in the photo, I wish!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 13, 2021 20:53

angee
g48: That's not me in the photo, I wish!

Okay, sorry! Nevertheless, I wish you some new great Stones related experiences in hopefully the near future. And ... stay healthy, angee!

Date: January 14, 2021 02:22

Thanks, Georgie48. Hope to run into you some time.
You can get a glimpse of what I look like or resemble anyway from my books on Amazon, You Get What you Need: Stories of Fans of the Rolling Stones (2014) or My Men, Mick, and Me, a memoir (2020).

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: January 14, 2021 03:05

Ronnie said in his book that the last show at the o2 was the best show of the whole Bigger Bang tour.

I plan on listening to the bootleg soon.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 15, 2021 20:23

Gazza
Thought night 3 was the weakest of the three, to be honest. Good show without question but as I recall they'd had their end of tour party the night before and it had a 'lets get it over with' feel about it compared to nights 1 & 2.

Totally agree. It had its moments but Keith was posing a lot of the time, didn't even bother with the Sympathy solo preferring to wave to people. She Was Hot was a shambles. The second night was dynamite: the best setlist and the best playing. Keith was ON.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: January 16, 2021 22:18

The 2007 version of The Rolling Stones was the worst version in the bands history. So thankful that they got back together in 2012, and continue today. It truly is amazing how Keith recovered from 2007. Still holding out hope that no filter continues in 2022

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2021 23:20

rebelhipi
Ronnie said in his book that the last show at the o2 was the best show of the whole Bigger Bang tour.

I plan on listening to the bootleg soon.

He might have been drunk when he wrote that, and besides he said many things in his book that are questionable if not completely ficitonal.

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: January 17, 2021 00:25

I went to the third show. I remember there was quite a lot of controversy in the local London press for the three shows. Keith and I think Ronnie violated the London smoking ordinances by smoking onstage and it was on the front pages of the newspapers. If they smoked again onstage during the third show, they were going to be fined. Keith didn't smoke onstage during the third show. (But from the front row, I could see Keith smoking a lot back stage.) I guess the fine was supposed to be large. But, in an interview I think Mick said if the Stones got fined, they would pay the fine from the proceeds of a seat in the show.

It was a good show. Seeing the kids made the show unique. Soon after the show, Keith's book was published and all Hell broke loose!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home