Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman Interview - 2016
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 6, 2021 15:41

Bill Wyman interview: stories of Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones, Keith Moon and more

By Rob Hughes (Classic Rock) 

Image credit: Gijsbert Hanekroot / Getty Images

Bill Wyman has been mates with Clapton and Page since the 60s, John Lennon wanted him, and he dared to quit the band that Keith Richards said people only left “in a box”

Classic Rock met with Bill Wyman – rock royalty, Rhythm King, and for 30 years the bassist in The Greatest Rock’n’Roll Band In The World – at Sticky Fingers, his American-styled bistro in Kensington. 

The walls are decked out in glorious Rolling Stones memorabilia, including the fretless bass Wyman invented in 1961 and his old mate Brian Jones’s gold Gibson guitar. “It’s the only thing I’ve got of Brian’s and it’s worth an awful lot of money,” he says wistfully. “It’s my little treasure.”

Jimi Hendrix

I first saw him at a club in Queens in New York in 1966, when he was known as Jimmy James. He did things the average person wasn’t doing, though I knew they’d been done before – playing guitar round the back of your head and biting strings. Jimi was a nice guy and all the Stones got on very well with him.

When we got back from America, I bumped into The Animals at the Scotch Of St James. Chas [Chandler, bassist] said to me: “We’re off to the States next week.” I said: “If you’re in New York, go and see this guy called Hendrix. He’s fantastic.”

So they went, Chas met him and then signed him and brought him over. I was one of the first people to see him here, when he played a club in Bromley [The Bromel Club, in 1967]. It might have been the first gig he did. There was hardly anyone else there. But he still poured lighter fuel on his guitar and set fire to it that night.

Peter Frampton

He was in the Rhythm Kings for the first year. Pete and I go back to when he was about 14 and used to come round to my house. He had this little band at that time. I’m like his mentor, his confidante. I helped get him into the studio for the first time. Whenever he has any decisions to make, he always calls and asks for advice. When he got invited to join Ringo’s band he phoned to say: “Do you think it’s a good move? “He was always highly talented and could do all these great improvised solos.

Pete blew me away, actually. After I joined the Stones in December ’62, drummer Tony Chapman – who’d been in my first band, The Cliftons – got fired a month later. Tony then bought my old equipment and formed The Preachers. And when their guitar player was killed in a car crash in ’64 he was replaced by Peter Frampton. So you can trace him back to my original band.

Brian Jones

Whenever the Stones would go on tour, me and Brian would always share a room. He could be really sweet and lovely and was more intelligent than any of the others. He was very articulate. But he could also be a little bastard sometimes. 

He had an evil streak which a lot of people only remember him for. Brian would do nasty things, like steal my girl or something one night. So he’d do the dirty, then you’d end up forgiving him because he’d have that little innocent, angelic smile: “Sorry, man. I didn’t mean it.” So you’d love him and hate him.

I’ve always said good things about him because he was the creator of The Rolling Stones. I don’t care what you say about Mick and Keith, if it hadn’t have been for Brian they probably would have had a different band in Dartford, out in the sticks where they lived. They weren’t Londoners, though Mick always tries on his cockney accent, which he doesn’t deserve, really. The only working-class ones in the Stones were me and Charlie.

The Yardbirds

In the last month or two that the Stones were playing the Station Hotel in Richmond we kept getting these young kids coming up to us. They’d ask us things like: “What key do you play that Jimmy Reed song in?” or “How does the middle section of that Slim Harpo song go?” I had one guy who kept questioning me as to where I got my strings from, and it was [Yardbirds bassist] Paul Samwell-Smith. And the rest of the guys turned out to be Yardbirds, too. 

They were learning from us the rudiments of blues riffs. And when we left they took over the venue, but though they never got the same audiences or adulation that we did. But then Eric [Clapton] joined and it became a different kind of band. I’ve been mates with Eric ever since that time. Jimmy Page was the same. He used to come and watch the Stones play in those little venues in ’63 when he was just a session guitarist.

Paul Rodgers

The Rhythm Kings were invited to play on the same bill as Led Zeppelin at the Ahmet Ertegun tribute show [December 2007]. At the aftershow party we did six songs each – with Solomon Burke, Ben E King, Percy Sledge, Sam Moore – over two hours for 3,000 people, with my band supporting them. And all those artists bloody loved the Rhythm Kings. 

When we played with Paul Rodgers at rehearsal, he said: “I want this band!” I said: “Piss off, Paul. You’re not having mine, get your own bloody band!” Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler and Peter Green play with us too. The last time we played with Knopfler at the Royal Albert Hall, he turned to the audience and said: “This band know my music better than I do.” It’s wonderful.

Keith Moon

I used to stay at Moonie’s house a lot. Keith was a wonderful guy but, God he did overindulge. The doctor would come round and give him so much bloody stuff, then three days later Keith would’ve taken it all. There’d be Valium 10s, sleeping pills, wake-up pills and speeding pills, and he would just down them all the time. And there’d be champagne in the mornings, with brandy. I used to watch him in disbelief.

Once I was making a cup of tea in the morning and his lovely Swedish girlfriend [Annette Walter-Lax] came down – I’d heard them fighting upstairs – and she had scratches down each side of her face, with blood. I said: “Annette, what happened?” And she went: “Oh, nothing. Keith just threw the cat at me.” 

He’d do the maddest things. If he’d be meeting me and Ringo at Tramp, he’d arrive in a full hunting uniform. He’d have been out and hired fox-hunting gear: hat, coat, riding crop, jodhpurs. One time he bought a cemetery in the West Country as a birthday present for [Who bassist] John Entwistle.

Jeff Beck

Even though Jeff grew up with the blues, his bands have all been quite abstract and a little jazzy. I mean, what he said when he auditioned for the Stones [in 1975] was exactly what I’d told them myself in 1963: “You can’t play slow, 12-bar blues all bloody night.” Jeff was just one of the guitarists the Stones auditioned when Mick Taylor left. 

There was Rory Gallagher, Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel, the guy from Canned Heat. They all sort of came around and played for a couple of evenings. Jeff was good, but Harvey Mandel had too many effects, echoes and foot pedals. Keith ended up saying: “Bollocks to all that, just play the @#$%& thing!” We weren’t a gimmicks band. We were just messing with people to see how they fitted, really. And no one quite did. Then we ended up with Ronnie Wood.

The Rolling Stones

Keith still sends me scented candles at Christmas. We all send each other birthday and Christmas presents. It’s still a family thing, social not business, and it works really well. It’s like distant relatives – you’ve got an Auntie Elsie and an Uncle Fred who are really charming but you don’t want to see them all the time.

When I first left the Stones it took a few months to rebuild that relationship with them. It was quite stressful and they didn’t want me to leave. So they became bitchy. Instead of being nice and saying: “Great 30 years. Cheers mate,” Mick would say the most absurd, stupid things, with that spoilt attitude he had. He’d say things like: “Oh well, if anybody has to play bass I’ll do it. It can’t be that hard.” 

And Keith said: “No one leaves this band unless they’re in a wooden box.” Anyway, they left the door open for me for two years. Charlie and Mick would phone and say: “You’re not really leaving are you? Have you re-thought it?” Then when it came time for them to do the ’94/’95 tour they had to make a final decision. Mick and Charlie came over and spent the evening with me, trying to talk me into staying. Have I had any regrets about not going back? None whatsoever.

Ringo Starr

I used to see John Lennon quite a bit in America, when we’d sit down and have a nice chat. I remember once, when we were out in Los Angeles, he said to me: “I’d love to go on tour with you and Charlie as a rhythm section one day.” But of course it never happened.

I used to hang out with Paul quite a lot too. I actually gave them a lot of Beatles memorabilia that they never had, like films of them playing Shea Stadium and one of them playing Washington [February 1964], which was the first show they ever did in America. Then I gave Ringo a load of Tony Hancock stuff.

Out of all of them, I was closest to Ringo. I saw him a lot in the 70s when he lived in Monte Carlo and I lived in the South of France. We’d go to clubs, get drunk, go into Monte Carlo, have dinners. Then he’d come around to my house and watch music videos. They were good times. I still see him occasionally.

George Harrison

George played on one of the Rhythm Kings albums just before he died [2001’s Double Bill]. I phoned him up and said: “Can you do a guitar part on this track?” He went: “What are you calling me up for? You’ve got two of the best guitarists in the world in your band – Albert Lee and Martin Taylor. What do you want me for? I only play one note.” And I said to him: “George, that’s the note I want.” So he said: “Alright then. Send me the tape.” Which I did. And his guitar part was great.

Afterwards he wrote me a lovely letter, after I’d sent him a present of the [artist] Marc Chagall book I did [Chagall’s World, with photographs by Wyman], thanking me for asking him to do it. He signed it ‘Bert Weedon’.

[www.loudersound.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-06 17:23 by Cristiano Radtke.

Re: Bill Wyman Interview
Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: January 6, 2021 15:49

He just can't say anything positive about Mick or Keith.
Always very bitter.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 6, 2021 16:06

....always....

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 6, 2021 16:26

I haven't read a slew of interviews with Wyman. I am sure he's done many before this one. For me, he doesn't comes across bitter toward Mick and Keith, but matter of fact - They have their view of things and I have mine. It is an interesting point that, when you think about it, if it wasn't for Brian, would we even know of a Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, let alone a Bill Wyman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 6, 2021 16:28

I don't know about that. I think he's the most outspoken Stone. Very unpretentious and, seemingly, honest. Sir Michael, or Keith, keeps most of it to themselves.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 6, 2021 17:01

I don't think this is a new interview, just a collection of things he's said in the past.
I feel a bit sorry for him in that people only ask him about the other more famous people he knew. Not many interviewers are asking about the things he's done and his feelings about them.
A lot of us are probably more interested in his thoughts about his own bass playing than the oft-told story about him seeing Hendrix for the first time.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 6, 2021 17:08

Yeah, SOS from Bill...but apparently he's not only the angry and bitter (and dirty talking if you believe various reports) little man he sounds like in his books and interviews, at least according to Cindy Mizelle "The person I always hung out with was the bass player, Bill Wyman. He was wonderful. He taught me Cockney [accents]. That was our thing. It was so funny to me. There were so many things he’d talk about. He was my friend and just wonderful." [www.rollingstone.com]

Sounds too good to be true, eh ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-06 17:08 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 6, 2021 17:22

wonderboy
I don't think this is a new interview, just a collection of things he's said in the past.

You're correct.

"Bill gave a fascinating interview with Classic Rock in August 2016"

[billwyman.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 6, 2021 18:30

Cristiano Radtke
wonderboy

You're correct.

"Bill gave a fascinating interview with Classic Rock in August 2016"

[billwyman.com]

Anyone been to Sticky Fingers lately?
Most of the memorabilia he speaks of must be gone from there now I would assume.

Re: Bill Wyman Interview - 2016
Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: January 6, 2021 23:47

Those parts about the Rolling Stones don't look too nice do they. Especially Mick and Keith. He sounds like someone who is actually proud of the fact they tried to talk him out of leaving but it did not work.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 7, 2021 00:12

I remember seeing an interview with Chas Chandler about Hendrix. I believe he said he saw him in New York at a club called the Electric Banana. When he invited Jimi to come over to England to record, he said Jimi asked him if he knew Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton because those were his idols he wanted to meet!
Never knew it was Bill that told him to go check him out. Wasn't Linda Keith dating Hendrix at the time?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 7, 2021 01:23

Mariuana
Those parts about the Rolling Stones don't look too nice do they. Especially Mick and Keith. He sounds like someone who is actually proud of the fact they tried to talk him out of leaving but it did not work.

I think the fact that they held the door open for several years and Mick and Charlie tried to coax him back speaks well for the Stones.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 7, 2021 01:26

Mariuana

He might be. That's a lotta money to walk away from for the worldwide tour as Jagger had really perfected the Huge stage spectacle dynamics.
A sure sell out. A foundational member.
I'm sure they pay the 2nd line well for every day of a tour including travel and short rests sometimes.... but Bill may have been the hero of his own personal crucible after 30 years of BRILLIANT creative presence no fan would deny.

I like my rock stars cranky and bitter.
Hard angry bitter bastids that are bugged.

Lol, he's not Ron. God bless the good natured glue that is Ron. I never hear Bill talk shit about Ron.

Lol. Look how we fight over tiny things here!?
Lol. Imagine the absolute MOUNTAIN pile of shifft that Bill had to go through.

Bill's Ace. He said Keith and him exchange gifts in Christmas.
I know Charlie digs him.

A y Charlie Watts statements about Bill?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-07 01:33 by hopkins.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 7, 2021 09:09

DGA35
I remember seeing an interview with Chas Chandler about Hendrix. I believe he said he saw him in New York at a club called the Electric Banana. When he invited Jimi to come over to England to record, he said Jimi asked him if he knew Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton because those were his idols he wanted to meet!
Never knew it was Bill that told him to go check him out. Wasn't Linda Keith dating Hendrix at the time?

Yes, this raised an eyebrow with me. I’ve never read of Wyman’s involvement in Jimi’s discovery, anywhere.

Date: January 7, 2021 23:58

wonderboy
Mariuana

I think the fact that they held the door open for several years and Mick and Charlie tried to coax him back speaks well for the Stones.

yes, the very fact that they tried to keep him in the band and left the door open for him speaks well for them. But not the Bill's quotes. Hope it was out of context but I think he meant it. That quotes about Mick is ridiculous, was Bill hurt Mick thought he could play the bass himself and why would it hurt him if he decided to leave anyway

Date: January 8, 2021 00:12

dmay
I haven't read a slew of interviews with Wyman. I am sure he's done many before this one. For me, he doesn't comes across bitter toward Mick and Keith, but matter of fact - They have their view of things and I have mine. It is an interesting point that, when you think about it, if it wasn't for Brian, would we even know of a Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, let alone a Bill Wyman.

I've always found it weird that people tend to credit Brian alone. When Brian met Mick and Keith, they already had been rehearsing with another band and Mick had been engaged as a singer with Alexis Korner. So, would we even know of Mick and Keith without Brian, is an interesting question that makes me think yes, we would.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 8, 2021 00:19

Thankfully Bill is willing to give his firsthand personal experience, but unfortunately his truthfullness has resulted in him being photoshopped/erased out of certain aspects of the bands history.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 8, 2021 02:20

From Mariuana:

Quote dmay:

"I haven't read a slew of interviews with Wyman. I am sure he's done many before this one. For me, he doesn't comes across bitter toward Mick and Keith, but matter of fact - They have their view of things and I have mine. It is an interesting point that, when you think about it, if it wasn't for Brian, would we even know of a Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, let alone a Bill Wyman.

From Mariuana: I've always found it weird that people tend to credit Brian alone. When Brian met Mick and Keith, they already had been rehearsing with another band and Mick had been engaged as a singer with Alexis Korner. So, would we even know of Mick and Keith without Brian, is an interesting question that makes me think yes, we would."

You get my point. Brian was the catalyst that led to creation of The Rolling Stones, IMHO, when he connected with Mick and Keith. Mick and Keith were in other bands, true, but would those bands have become the equivalent juggernaut that is The Rolling Stones today or just another memory of the English music scene in the early/mid 1960s and the bands and performers around London who were into American blues and rock'n'roll? This leads to another question - how important was Andrew Loog Oldham to the development of the band? What did ALO know of American music and how The Rolling Stones could utilize it? Was he just a Brian Epstein, scoring them recording contracts and record deals, or a musical influence? This has probably been answered here already, but this is all part of what leads to what we are here for - reading and writing about The Rolling Stones. Wyman would know just what role Brian played at the beginning of the band and Brian's ending with the band, along with ALO's role.

Imagine Bill, Mick, Keith and Charlie having a conversation about all of this today for the benefit of us fans. One would hope that if such a thing took place, they'd be totally open about the history of the band, their relationships with each other and all they've been through. We'd lap it up. And, these guys should remember that, like a number of us on this site, they ain't gettin' any younger so they should say to one another, WTF, let's sit down, have a drink, a nosh, and kick around things.

Date: January 9, 2021 00:10

That's really interesting thing to discuss, but another question is, what if Brian never met Mick and Keith, would he ever be as sucessfull with someone else? Stones run out of cover material pretty soon and actually it was Mick and Keith' music that made them what the band is famous for. Brian was not as good at songwriting neither was he very good as a team player.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 9, 2021 00:46

Bill is always very unpretentious, and a keeper of the Stones of old. He gives it to them straight, no filter. I love him for it. I never had the privilege to see him with the rest of the band, though it came close in London 2007.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: January 9, 2021 01:59

dmay
You get my point. Brian was the catalyst that led to creation of The Rolling Stones, IMHO, when he connected with Mick and Keith. Mick and Keith were in other bands, true, but would those bands have become the equivalent juggernaut that is The Rolling Stones today or just another memory of the English music scene in the early/mid 1960s and the bands and performers around London who were into American blues and rock'n'roll?

There's an interview with Ian Stewart where he says that if the Stones had never been formed, Mick and Keith would have started another extremely successful band. There's no telling, but Stu was in the best possible position to make an educated guess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home