Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: In Praise of Slipping Away
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 5, 2021 17:10

Great song of peripeteia that I saw the Stones do live at the Joint in Vegas when it had only an 1,100 capacity, the perfect intimate setting for an intimate song and I was in heaven.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 5, 2021 20:31

This song just resonates about the loss of love and life.It’s so great I’m surprised it hasn’t been covered more by other artists

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 6, 2021 11:11

Taylor1
This song just resonates about the loss of love and life.It’s so great I’m surprised it hasn’t been covered more by other artists

It appears on a mostly-forgotten album, unfortunately. I suspect it simply isn't well-known enough. It's a marvellous song all the same.

Date: January 6, 2021 11:19

A nice rendition on Stripped as well.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 6, 2021 11:28

Great song. Pretty much the best song on Steel Wheels.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 11, 2021 06:20

Maindefender
How would you all characterize Thru and Thru compared to the great Slipping Away? Love that song also.....

I don't see them as being similar enough to compare. I love both!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 11, 2021 06:36

I've always loved Slipping Away, one Keiths great poignant songs.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 11, 2021 11:43

MisterDDDD
timbernardis
I too saw a three song Keith set at the BC Place in Vancouver in the last of the North American leg of the ABB tour show which was comprised of:

You Got The Silver
Slipping Away
Connection

Probably something to do with Mick's voice again. Someone here might remember better than I.

Addendum: during the Keith set, my daughter and I left our sixth row seats no, not for a bathroom break, but to walk to the B stage, got a perfect spot on the rail, and were waiting for the band to slide out on their moving platform when some guy on the inside of the rail approaches my daughter and hands her two Keith guitar picks. Turns out he was Tony Russell, Keith's personal assistant.

plexi

Were likely very close to each other there..
We slid over to the area in front of whee the the b stage was going early winking smiley Great show!

It was Mick's throat that was the official cause of the postponement, although I believe original date was also very close to the passing of his father which may have also been a factor.

Actually, I meant that his throat was why Keith played three songs, but yes, it had been postponed from November 5th or 6th (prolly the latter) I believe and was the last show of the ABB North American tour.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-11 11:47 by timbernardis.

Date: January 11, 2021 11:46

SomeTorontoGirl
MisterDDDD
timbernardis
I too saw a three song Keith set at the BC Place in Vancouver in the last of the North American leg of the ABB tour show which was comprised of:

You Got The Silver
Slipping Away
Connection

Probably something to do with Mick's voice again. Someone here might remember better than I.

Addendum: during the Keith set, my daughter and I left our sixth row seats no, not for a bathroom break, but to walk to the B stage, got a perfect spot on the rail, and were waiting for the band to slide out on their moving platform when some guy on the inside of the rail approaches my daughter and hands her two Keith guitar picks. Turns out he was Tony Russell, Keith's personal assistant.

plexi

Were likely very close to each other there..
We slid over to the area in front of whee the the b stage was going early winking smiley Great show!

It was Mick's throat that was the official cause of the postponement, although I believe original date was also very close to the passing of his father which may have also been a factor.

That show was the first one I ever travelled to. A friend and her husband joined me - he’s a huge fan but had never seen them live. We had floor seats by the B-Stage and when the stage started moving down the floor toward us, he was so excited. Then [ahem] a bunch of folks with great seats rushed down and pushed in front of us... Somebody here owes me a damn drink! (Also, Slipping Away is my favourite Keith track and YES he should get 3 damn songs!)

That wasn't me STG, honest!! We simply walked down there during the first or second song of the 3 song set and no one was on the B stage rail, so we just took a spot and waited.

plexi

PS Having said that, I will buy you a beer, perhaps the next time at the Ealing Club or watching the IORR band at a place like the Hope and Anchor! You were at both of those gigs, weren't you, or at least the latter??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-11 11:56 by timbernardis.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 11, 2021 11:56

DandelionPowderman
A nice rendition on Stripped as well.

In fact, I saw the light with this version. As if I couldn't "get it" before!

C

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 11, 2021 13:08

I am among the apparently few, that remain quite reserved about "Slipping Away"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 11, 2021 13:51

Don't worry, Witness. It seems to be the order here that most fans like almost everything they put out.
Dirty Work seems to be the exception though. And, perhaps, some of the Jagger solo material.

Date: January 11, 2021 14:27

Stoneage
Don't worry, Witness. It seems to be the order here that most fans like almost everything they put out.
Dirty Work seems to be the exception though. And, perhaps, some of the Jagger solo material.

This is a track that stands out for many fans, so I don't think your comment hits home this time, mate.

Had, say, Blinded By Rainbow gotten the same reception, I would have agreed with you, though winking smiley

Date: January 11, 2021 14:49

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

This is a track that stands out for many fans, so I don't think your comment hits home this time, mate.

Had, say, Blinded By Rainbow gotten the same reception, I would have agreed with you, though winking smiley

I for one think that "Blinded by Rainbows" is not great or semi-great, but really good all the same. And, in fact and of all things, it is an anti-terrorist song, somehow making it unique!

Date: January 11, 2021 15:08

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

I for one think that "Blinded by Rainbows" is not great or semi-great, but really good all the same. And, in fact and of all things, it is an anti-terrorist song, somehow making it unique!

That's great, but from what I can see it's not a tune that most fans praise. It was just used as an example here to show that Stoneage's claim was incorrect. Had it been correct, the Blinded By Rainbow-track talk would have been full of posts praising it. I'm not sure if that is the case.

Maybe it wasn't the best example. Let's take Streets Of Love instead smiling smiley

Date: January 11, 2021 15:13

The live version from Rome I liked. So the song is better than the studio track with the name "Streets of Love".

Date: January 11, 2021 15:46

Witness
The live version from Rome I liked. So the song is better than the studio track with the name "Streets of Love".

The song (the chorus in particular) came to life in concert.

Date: January 11, 2021 17:13

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

That's great, but from what I can see it's not a tune that most fans praise. It was just used as an example here to show that Stoneage's claim was incorrect. Had it been correct, the Blinded By Rainbow-track talk would have been full of posts praising it. I'm not sure if that is the case.

Maybe it wasn't the best example. Let's take Streets Of Love instead smiling smiley

Hopefully I am in there praising Blinded By Rainbows ... I always liked it!

Date: January 11, 2021 17:34

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Hehe, I too love the odd 'unpopular' song, like Lies and Fight, but I have no expectations of finding a thread where those tunes are praised by most fans. That was my point smiling smiley

Date: January 11, 2021 18:25

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Hehe, I too love the odd 'unpopular' song, like Lies and Fight, but I have no expectations of finding a thread where those tunes are praised by most fans. That was my point smiling smiley

Understood! ... can't get into Fight at all. But Lies is seriously kick ass, I don't see how anyone can not like it!

But to the point, yes, Slipping Away definitely well liked and I can see why. Keith singing is great, it comes off (to me anyway) as legitimately heartfelt.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 12, 2021 03:00

timbernardis
SomeTorontoGirl

That show was the first one I ever travelled to. A friend and her husband joined me - he’s a huge fan but had never seen them live. We had floor seats by the B-Stage and when the stage started moving down the floor toward us, he was so excited. Then [ahem] a bunch of folks with great seats rushed down and pushed in front of us... Somebody here owes me a damn drink! (Also, Slipping Away is my favourite Keith track and YES he should get 3 damn songs!)

That wasn't me STG, honest!! We simply walked down there during the first or second song of the 3 song set and no one was on the B stage rail, so we just took a spot and waited.

plexi

PS Having said that, I will buy you a beer, perhaps the next time at the Ealing Club or watching the IORR band at a place like the Hope and Anchor! You were at both of those gigs, weren't you, or at least the latter??

OK, you’re in the clear Plexi! Yes, I was at the H&A, and at Ealing 3 times that week (Ali Mac, Chris Jagger and Ben Waters), kept running into a lot of nice folks.

Date: January 12, 2021 07:33

STG says

You're in the clear Plexi

That much should be clear anyway, plexiglass being clear, after all.

I didn't know there were three gigs at the Ealing Club that week, I was only at the Chris Jagger one, where all of us were hoping against hope that some band member(s) would show up.

But yes, now that you mention it, I saw you at the Hope and Anchor AND the Ealing on the Chris Jagger night. You would not allow me to take your pic, as I recall.

plexi

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 12, 2021 07:40

Stoneage

Don't be so dire - there is a bunch of stuff I can't stand. This isn't one of them, though.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 12, 2021 07:42

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Both are crap but SOL is the worst!

That should help clarify things, eh?

Date: January 12, 2021 09:07

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Instead of finding it quite hollow under a seemingly catchy surface, there even are some posters that think "I Go Wild" is excellent.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 12, 2021 09:49

Great song.Enjoy it live .Wish we could have 3 live numbers by Keef ,maybe “all about you” in there with “sleep tonight”and “little T and A”.
Right now I would just settle for anything live by these Loveable legends.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 12, 2021 09:50

Witness
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Instead of finding it quite hollow under a seemingly catchy surface, there even are some posters that think "I Go Wild" is excellent.

Yeah, me for instance as the lyrics are spot on! It also has a certain aggressiviness which combined with the excellent lyrics makes it a great song. Not a Rambler, Dice or Shelter of course but all the same a tune that IMHO should be performed live now and again. A wet dream would be to have it in the warhorse section, THAT would completely be a curve ball to a lot of folks in the audience! It's an easy song to perform as well. Like Sad Sad Sad it got that "down but not out" momento.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-12 09:51 by MadMax.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: January 12, 2021 11:08

Probably a good song,but dead boring.Same with Thru and Thru,Out of Tears and many others.I dont think many Stonesfans played that song,only Keithfans who likes jazz

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 12, 2021 11:26

harlem shuffle
Probably a good song,but dead boring.Same with Thru and Thru,Out of Tears and many others.I dont think many Stonesfans played that song,only Keithfans who likes jazz

What? I don't listen to jazz but Slipping Away is MEGA! Just cause it has got a Dmaj7 chord it makes it jazz?confused smiley

Jazz is fun to play but not very exciting to listen to.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 12, 2021 11:28

MadMax

Jazz is fun to play but not very exciting to listen to.

C

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2010
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home