Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: In Praise of Slipping Away
Date: January 3, 2021 02:06

Stoneage
Were you in one of the front stage pits (or circles), Dandy? Or in the middle of a stadium?

In the middle, General Admission.

I was in fact next to one the bars at one of the gigs (can't recall if it was Hamburg, Amsterdam or London). No extra traffic during Slipping Away smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-04 14:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2021 03:29

Cristiano Radtke
Stoneage
The song is a downer. No wonder it doesn't do well in stadium or arenas. The Keith set should have stayed at one song by the way. Preferably an upper.

It should be more than 2, imho.

Yes Cristiano, and I was fortunate to experience a three tune Keith set at *Vegas '16 when Keith and the rest of the band were covering for a sick Mick.
A beautiful Slipping Away, followed by raucous Little T & A, followed by an excellent Happy which come to think of was the last time I saw Happy played live.
Even though it was a generally weak show w/ a shortened setlist due to Mick being sick, Keith made it somewhat memorable with his three song set. thumbs up

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: January 3, 2021 07:21

Agree--great song. I like it live too.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 3, 2021 08:02

I have tried to play this, it ain’t easy to get the ‘Keith’
Can someone show me?
Maybe a YouTube link so I can see what/how the fingers go

Mrs Midimannz loves it

Thanks to you great guitarists

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 3, 2021 11:21

One of my top 5 Stones songs, it's a beauty live and on record. There has been more than one occasion where they've performed it in a STADIUM and the sun has been going down past the horizon just as the coda (outro) begins (Stockholm 2003, Werchter 2007 come to mind). MAGIC.

It's also a fun song to sing and play, especially the outro is genius with it's
E-Dmaj7 E-A weaving. Just PERFECT.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 3, 2021 11:31

midimannz
Can someone show me?

Mrs Midimannz loves it

Sure thang Mr Midimannz!

Intro is played just like the Sympathy riff on the A string with the E string ringing as well. Just stick to the A string there.

Verse chords Dmaj7 - A

Bridge: From the A to A7- D- E - A

Middle 8 or chorus: C- F C-F C-F C-G-F, E-A-Asus4

Verse again until the hypnotic outro: E-Damj7 E-A-Asus4

I hope this could help you steer it in the right direction at least.

Enjoy!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 3, 2021 14:02

The greatest line in the song, and one to which I especially related at one point in my life, is "I just want some ecstasy, but I ain't getting much, just getting off on misery, it seems I've lost my touch." (correct me if this isn't correct).

I remember at the Hollywood Bowl II show in November of 2005, I must have really been feeling it as I sang the line as some guy next to me said something like "I could really feel you mean that man" and gave me a handshake.

Great tune.

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 3, 2021 14:07

I too saw a three song Keith set at the BC Place in Vancouver in the last of the North American leg of the ABB tour show which was comprised of:

You Got The Silver
Slipping Away
Connection

Probably something to do with Mick's voice again. Someone here might remember better than I.

Addendum: during the Keith set, my daughter and I left our sixth row seats no, not for a bathroom break, but to walk to the B stage, got a perfect spot on the rail, and were waiting for the band to slide out on their moving platform when some guy on the inside of the rail approaches my daughter and hands her two Keith guitar picks. Turns out he was Tony Russell, Keith's personal assistant.

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-03 14:19 by timbernardis.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: January 3, 2021 15:20

JordyLicks96
wiredallnight
harlem shuffle
A piss break song,boring to death

Agree 100%. Should be titled Sleeping Away.

This thread is called "In Praise of Slipping Away." You don't have to like the song but posting obnoxious comments like these are unnecessary and boring at this point. Others truly admire the song and that's what this thread is about. Please keep it to yourself. thumbs up

Yes Mr. Senior Teacher! Next time I shut up!

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: January 3, 2021 17:37

Maybee after 5-6 beers someone need to use the toilet?

Date: January 3, 2021 17:46

harlem shuffle
Maybee after 5-6 beers someone need to use the toilet?

5-6? Just in time for the warhorse-section. I doubt people have to go then winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 3, 2021 18:23

This song is an example of how there are those that appreciate great songwriters combined with change, difference, how there are other chords, that bring up obvious influences like Hoagy Carmichael that involve talent and passion, and that music doesn't need to be so rigid like some of its listeners, like that place in NYC and how it's so rigid and ignorant, especially in a thread that clearly says nothing about taking a dump on it, something that that place is so good at doing.

Some viruses just can't help theyselves.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 3, 2021 21:26

timbernardis
I too saw a three song Keith set at the BC Place in Vancouver in the last of the North American leg of the ABB tour show which was comprised of:

You Got The Silver
Slipping Away
Connection

Probably something to do with Mick's voice again. Someone here might remember better than I.

Addendum: during the Keith set, my daughter and I left our sixth row seats no, not for a bathroom break, but to walk to the B stage, got a perfect spot on the rail, and were waiting for the band to slide out on their moving platform when some guy on the inside of the rail approaches my daughter and hands her two Keith guitar picks. Turns out he was Tony Russell, Keith's personal assistant.

plexi

Were likely very close to each other there..
We slid over to the area in front of whee the the b stage was going early winking smiley Great show!

It was Mick's throat that was the official cause of the postponement, although I believe original date was also very close to the passing of his father which may have also been a factor.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 3, 2021 22:07

wiredallnight
JordyLicks96
wiredallnight
harlem shuffle
A piss break song,boring to death

Agree 100%. Should be titled Sleeping Away.

This thread is called "In Praise of Slipping Away." You don't have to like the song but posting obnoxious comments like these are unnecessary and boring at this point. Others truly admire the song and that's what this thread is about. Please keep it to yourself. thumbs up

Yes Mr. Senior Teacher! Next time I shut up!

No worries my friend smileys with beer

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 3, 2021 23:15

I agree with earlier comments re: the coda of this song. It's one of those tunes that when you're listening to it, you don't want it to end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-03 23:16 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 3, 2021 23:18

How would you all characterize Thru and Thru compared to the great Slipping Away? Love that song also.....

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 3, 2021 23:26

I really like Thru and Thru also.But in my opinion it isn’t as good a song as Slipping Away.I could see other artists covering Slipping Away , like Sinatra could have done a great cover. But Thru and Thru is rally good.There was a lot of great stuff post 1981

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 3, 2021 23:55

I like the song and I like how Keith changes the numbers around to keep his segment fresh, but when he pulled it out in 2017 it was the one show where I could not appreciate it properly because my then girlfriend was in attendance and at that point I really counted on him to do YGTS which he sure enough did a year later, when I was there on my own. Great job Keith

Date: January 4, 2021 03:19

Maindefender
How would you all characterize Thru and Thru compared to the great Slipping Away? Love that song also.....

Love/Hate with Thru And Thru but it's still miles above the other STEEL WHEELS song and the last song on BANG, which is more entertaining than anything else.

Slipping Away is gold.

Date: January 4, 2021 03:28

This one is pretty good. Looks like the crowd hung on to its Keith break.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2021 03:38

feels like i'm slippin' an slidin'
....gonna slip it up babeeeee ...Oh yeah

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 4, 2021 03:57

GasLightStreet
This one is pretty good. Looks like the crowd hung on to its Keith break.

That's good, thank you. He really wanted to nail that, you could tell.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 4, 2021 04:11

I fell in love with Slipping Away after watching the 25x5 documentary. There's just something about the way it was incorporated at the very end of the film that makes me smile at how much I love this band.

Beginning at 1:44:42

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 4, 2021 05:22

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke
Stoneage
The song is a downer. No wonder it doesn't do well in stadium or arenas. The Keith set should have stayed at one song by the way. Preferably an upper.

It should be more than 2, imho.

Yes Cristiano, and I was fortunate to experience a three tune Keith set at *Vegas '16 when Keith and the rest of the band were covering for a sick Mick.
A beautiful Slipping Away, followed by raucous Little T & A, followed by an excellent Happy which come to think of was the last time I saw Happy played live.
Even though it was a generally weak show w/ a shortened setlist due to Mick being sick, Keith made it somewhat memorable with his three song set. thumbs up

I remember watching that concert from my super-comfortable view at FOCS*, following the updates and wishing I was there. Good times!

*Front of Computer Screen grinning smiley

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: January 4, 2021 08:11

It's a lovely song. Probably the best from Keef since his first two solo albums. He really owns this song. And yes, it did sound to me as sort of a goodbye or an end to it all. It still sounds like it...
Charlie was singing along in Shanghai. If he likes it, it can't be bad.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: January 4, 2021 11:14

midimannz
Can someone show me?

Mrs Midimannz loves it

I play it and it's one of my favorites to play and sing.
First of all I have to say, that I always try to aproach to a song in a personal way.
What range is fitting to my voice? How can I transpose on my accoustic and try to keep the arrangement?
How can I play the arrangements reduced on my accoustic?
It's possible, that I have to find new licks, which can get the atmosphare of the song.
Try and play and you'll find your way.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 4, 2021 12:43

Interesting thread to read, quite a range of opinions ...

Personally, I have never liked this song. As someone has already pointed out, when it's played live, it is somewhat of a "buzz-killer". I agree with that comment, it certainly kills the buzz for me, it provides a perfect excuse for a toilet break.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: xpensivewino ()
Date: January 4, 2021 13:59

I love Slipping away! I think it's a great ending to the Steel wheels album.

My favourite live memory of the track was a watching on the Licks tour in 2003 at Twickenham Stadium London.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-04 14:00 by xpensivewino.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 5, 2021 02:35

also it was often his best performed song of the night in 2019 and its interesting he replaced happy with it in his set might be a glimse into his frame of mind at the time

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 5, 2021 13:15

MisterDDDD
timbernardis

You Got The Silver
Slipping Away
Connection

plexi

Were likely very close to each other there..
We slid over to the area in front of whee the the b stage was going early winking smiley Great show!

It was Mick's throat that was the official cause of the postponement, although I believe original date was also very close to the passing of his father which may have also been a factor.

That show was the first one I ever travelled to. A friend and her husband joined me - he’s a huge fan but had never seen them live. We had floor seats by the B-Stage and when the stage started moving down the floor toward us, he was so excited. Then [ahem] a bunch of folks with great seats rushed down and pushed in front of us... Somebody here owes me a damn drink! (Also, Slipping Away is my favourite Keith track and YES he should get 3 damn songs!)

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home