Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
In Praise of Slipping Away
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 1, 2021 22:59

This in my opinion is as great a song as anything the Stones did in the 1960s and 1970s.It together with some other songs after 1981 are just as good as anything on the Big Four

Re: In Praise of Slipping Away
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 2, 2021 01:59

Taylor1
This in my opinion is as great a song as anything the Stones did in the 1960s and 1970s.It together with some other songs after 1981 are just as good as anything on the Big Four

Absolutely love Slipping Away. This is my dad's favorite Keith song. Saw them play it live in New Jersey last year. Unfortunately, people decided to use the song for a bathroom/drink break because it wasn't familiar to them.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 2, 2021 02:07

I'm not a big fan of Keith's ballads but there is nothing wrong with this song. It's not a stadium song though. So I can understand people's reaction to it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 2, 2021 02:41

Great latter era Keith tune, and my favorite from Steel Wheels, but as Stoneage said can't really blame the casual fans' reaction.
Aside from not being a "stadium song", it's also unfamiliar to probably 99% of the casual fans in attendance - it's really a buzzkill for many of them.
I've even seen hordes of fans evacuating for the toilets and/or beer lines in smaller indoor arenas when Keith plays this song.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 2, 2021 03:45

Great song. Love it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 2, 2021 04:32

It's a there's nothing wrong with this song song I guess.
I'm gonna listen to Brown Sugar offline.
You can't get enough of that One.
Go ahead admit it.
It's New Year's Day. Go into 2021 clean.!
I said Yeah Yeah Yeah How come ya How come ya. Whooo

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 2, 2021 07:52

To me 'Slipping Away' is the coda to the Golden Year Stones. Bill's playing is subtle, and emotional. It seems to sum up the Stones nicely. I remember when I heard it that it sounded like the group bowing out. (Of course I felt the same way when I heard 'One Hundred Years Ago' on GHS.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 2, 2021 07:56

ROCKMAN

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: January 2, 2021 10:16

A piss break song,boring to death

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: January 2, 2021 10:55

harlem shuffle

Agree 100%. Should be titled Sleeping Away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-02 10:56 by wiredallnight.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 2, 2021 11:54

JordyLicks96
Taylor1

Absolutely love Slipping Away. This is my dad's favorite Keith song. Saw them play it live in New Jersey last year. Unfortunately, people decided to use the song for a bathroom/drink break because it wasn't familiar to them.

For European fans who saw the Stones live in the USA (maybe a few not) it has been a weird experience to see "fans" using Keith's time to have a bathroom (and more stupid a drink) break. A pretty Swedish girl in Cuba said to me at one point that she had peed in her pants (maybe worried that I could smell it?), but that she didn't want to miss a second of that great Havana experience. Keith didn't play Slipping Away there, but also I wouldn't slip away for a pee grinning smiley
smileys with beer

Date: January 2, 2021 12:14

More comments on Slipping Away in the track talk: [iorr.org]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 2, 2021 12:58

a rather boring song – but the only song written after the mid 80s that was regularly performed during the No Filter tour

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 2, 2021 13:10

wiredallnight
harlem shuffle

LOLgrinning smiley Yeah, good song but nothing remarkable and does little to me (though I’ve never been to the loo during a Stones performance in any song, ever).
And the song has been performed way too often, especially recent years.
Of the two Keith-led songs on Steel Wheels, I much prefer Can’t Be Seen to this — am I in the minority here?

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 2, 2021 13:21

Absolutely love it; lyrics, melody and performance. One of Keith's best songs.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: January 2, 2021 14:29

Yes, it's a great one.
I do a cover version with my accoustic and it's one of my favorites to play and sing.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 2, 2021 17:08

I love the vibe of this song. It's got a classic early Al Green beat running through it and is one of Keith's better songs. It'd probably come across better live in a club setting where folks could just sway to it as Keith croons.

Date: January 2, 2021 19:56

georgie48
JordyLicks96
Taylor1

For European fans who saw the Stones live in the USA (maybe a few not) it has been a weird experience to see "fans" using Keith's time to have a bathroom (and more stupid a drink) break. A pretty Swedish girl in Cuba said to me at one point that she had peed in her pants (maybe worried that I could smell it?), but that she didn't want to miss a second of that great Havana experience. Keith didn't play Slipping Away there, but also I wouldn't slip away for a pee grinning smiley
smileys with beer

This proves that American audiences are lame compared to other fans like European audiences. Their energy is so much stronger than ours. Slipping Away (no pun intended) for a pee break during a song because you don't know the song is rude imo.

Date: January 2, 2021 19:59

wiredallnight
harlem shuffle

This thread is called "In Praise of Slipping Away." You don't have to like the song but posting obnoxious comments like these are unnecessary and boring at this point. Others truly admire the song and that's what this thread is about. Please keep it to yourself. thumbs up

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 2, 2021 20:03

Amerikans are idiots. Line up for ages or haunt the ticketbastard to get tickets and then go take a piss break during the set. Or pass out from too much drink and dope in the lot beforehand or staying up three nights straight partying before the show. Those people should just stay home and watch amerikas got no talent and save the tickets for those who appreciate more than just the "hits".

jb

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 2, 2021 20:11

Hairball
Great latter era Keith tune, and my favorite from Steel Wheels, but as Stoneage said can't really blame the casual fans' reaction.
Aside from not being a "stadium song", it's also unfamiliar to probably 99% of the casual fans in attendance - it's really a buzzkill for many of them.
I've even seen hordes of fans evacuating for the toilets and/or beer lines in smaller indoor arenas when Keith plays this song.

I didn't like it at all when I bought that record. Thankfully I changed my mind and now that's my favorite song from Steel Wheels.

Date: January 2, 2021 21:09

Dont like the studio, live it grew on me to the point now where i love it. Love the horns. Songs just keeps on going, very dreamy and trippy in a way.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 2, 2021 21:20

One of the best outros of a Stones tune

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 3, 2021 01:17

I find it absurd that people pay the ticket price to see the Stones and go to the bar during the concert, really stupid! And I don't even understand those people who have to go pee during the concert, I mean if you can't not go to the toilet for 2 hours, you have a problem and I don't think everyone has a problem!

Date: January 3, 2021 01:30

The song is a downer. No wonder it doesn't do well in stadium or arenas. The Keith set should have stayed at one song by the way. Preferably an upper.

Date: January 3, 2021 01:34

Stoneage
The song is a downer. No wonder it doesn't do well in stadium or arenas. The Keith set should have stayed at one song by the way. Preferably an upper.

It's not correct that it doesn't do well in stadiums. It was among the best numbers in 2017 and 2018 - people were in awe on the shows I attended. Keith's performance was touching and extremely soulful.

Simply not true.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 3, 2021 01:41

beautiful especially live and all the more so as keith ages in 2019 there seemed to just be more potency to his performance of it
(or I'm just crazy)

Date: January 3, 2021 01:53

ProfessorWolf
beautiful especially live and all the more so as keith ages in 2019 there seemed to just be more potency to his performance of it
(or I'm just crazy)

That is my impression as well.

By 2003 I was somewhat tired of it. However, the No Filter-performances have been ace.

Date: January 3, 2021 02:03

Were you in one of the front stage pits (or circles), Dandy? Or in the middle of a stadium?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 3, 2021 02:04

Stoneage

It should be more than 2, imho.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home