Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Is the Vault Empty?
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 2, 2021 05:40

thank you, I pulled out my Four FLICKS (I love that since I noticed it, the fcuk part i mean) and recalled that it was three shows (whether they are actual shows and complete or not I do not know) and one doc disk, the three shows were one stadium show, one arena show and one theatre show. I went to an arena show around about that time, don't recall exactly when it was, and I thought that was an excellent experience, so I should at least give that one a whirl.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 2, 2021 05:44

jbwelda
thank you, I pulled out my Four FLICKS (I love that since I noticed it, the fcuk part i mean) and recalled that it was three shows (whether they are actual shows and complete or not I do not know) and one doc disk, the three shows were one stadium show, one arena show and one theatre show. I went to an arena show around about that time, don't recall exactly when it was, and I thought that was an excellent experience, so I should at least give that one a whirl.

jb

The arena show is the Madison Square Garden PPV. Excellent show, really, and fantastic performance of Street Fighting Man, although Keith laid an egg going into the first chorus that got fixed (the previous show was supposedly recorded for errors in the PPV, whatever that means).

I don't remember if any of them are entire shows! I'm sure I looked at that at some point but I can't remember, it's been probably 10 years since I've watched any of it.

The documentary disc is worth the cost of the box set!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-03 02:20 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 2, 2021 06:49

None of the Four Flicks shows are complete. There's always a couple of songs missing.

jbwelda,I recommend watching the theatre show too (Paris Olympia). Great versions of That's How Strong My Love Is and Worried About You, for example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-02 06:52 by Topi.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 2, 2021 18:32

Only half-empty...
However optimistically speaking, it's half-full.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 2, 2021 23:00

I don’t know where videojames got his info but I worked at the BBC from 1987 and Knebworth was virtually the first thing I looked for in the archives. There was only ever the under an hour footage, they never shot the whole show.

Date: January 3, 2021 01:38

And is that footage (at the BBC archive) basically news footage, or is it actual pro shoot concert footage with decent stereo sound? I am betting the former, basically one or two B&W cameras with a couple of sound techs wandering around getting footage for news broadcast.

jb

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2021 01:40

Tseverin
I don’t know where videojames got his info but I worked at the BBC from 1987 and Knebworth was virtually the first thing I looked for in the archives. There was only ever the under an hour footage, they never shot the whole show.

Good to see you back, sir. thumbs up

Date: January 3, 2021 01:43

24FPS
Gazza
They do have a full Knebworth in their vault.
They also have a full New Orleans 1978 (but Fort Worth was preferred for the 2011 release).

Fort Worth was filmed for a 1978 concert movie (a la 'Ladies and Gentlemen') that ended up being scrapped.It was always an obvious contender for an archives release.

You mean the 'Some Girls Live in Texas '78' from Fort Worth that was released on Blu Ray that I've had since 2011?

Yes. It was originally intended to be released in cinemas in the late 70's, but was shelved. The 2011 release was therefore an 'archive' project.

The first half hour of the Fort Worth show had been widely available on video for a couple of decades prior to the official release, although strangely the audio of the full show had never circulated until the 'Handsome Girls' bopx set release in the mid 90's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-03 01:48 by Gazza.

Date: January 3, 2021 01:45

GasLightStreet
jbwelda
Well I would hold my breath for audio of both complete El Mocambo shows, and would probably have a heart attack if they were accompanied by video of those sets or even a compilation from them.

Rest of it is pretty expendable if you ask me. Oh, Video Rewind, that would be great to have on digital disk if some sort.

I have FOUR FLICKS but I believe I never bothered to watch it or at least not all of it. Is there any particularly good stuff on there or is it the typical for the periods set performed in a mailed in fashion?

jb

I found FOUR FLICKS to be excellent. A really awesome overall presentation of everything. There's also some good music performances in it.

THE BIGGEST BANG is awful, on the other hand. Whoever was in charge did an extremely poor imitation of FOUR FLICKS.

I wouldnt say it was awful but it certainly suffers from comparison to FF which was an excellent release.

Getting guitar techs to add overdubs showed how much they cared about that project, unfortunately.

Date: January 3, 2021 01:46

Gazza
24FPS
Gazza
They do have a full Knebworth in their vault.
They also have a full New Orleans 1978 (but Fort Worth was preferred for the 2011 release).

Fort Worth was filmed for a 1978 concert movie (a la 'Ladies and Gentlemen') that ended up being scrapped.It was always an obvious contender for an archives release.

You mean the 'Some Girls Live in Texas '78' from Fort Worth that was released on Blu Ray that I've had since 2011?

Yes. It was originally intended to be released in cinemas in the late 70's, but was shelved. The 2011 release was therefore an 'archive' project.

And shown in cinemas 33 years after they intended to screen it smiling smiley

Date: January 3, 2021 01:49

Exactly - which is what I meant by being an obvious candidate for an archive release.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 3, 2021 10:44

jbwelda
And is that footage (at the BBC archive) basically news footage, or is it actual pro shoot concert footage with decent stereo sound? I am betting the former, basically one or two B&W cameras with a couple of sound techs wandering around getting footage for news broadcast.

jb

Here’s the BBC footage.

[m.youtube.com]

Date: January 3, 2021 21:01

Big Al
jbwelda

jb

Here’s the BBC footage.

[m.youtube.com]

Maybe that should stay locked up! Pretty bad! LOVE YOU LIVE and LA FRIDAY are plenty enough, don't ya think?

Wow. Street Fighting Man - think that's where Whip Comes Down came from? Was Knebworth's Jagger's worst ever (vocal) performance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-03 21:01 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: January 4, 2021 04:07

The other Stripped Paradiso show is still unreleased officially.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 4, 2021 08:13

Tseverin

Thanks for the info, Tseverin. This only adds to my impression that Videojames' infos sometimes are a bit fishy, that he's intentionally making things up.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 4, 2021 08:34

GasLightStreet
Big Al
jbwelda

jb

Here’s the BBC footage.

[m.youtube.com]

Maybe that should stay locked up! Pretty bad! LOVE YOU LIVE and LA FRIDAY are plenty enough, don't ya think?

Wow. Street Fighting Man - think that's where Whip Comes Down came from? Was Knebworth's Jagger's worst ever (vocal) performance?

It isn’t a show that particular stands-out for reasons other than the venue. I like Ronnie’s soloing on Wild Horses, however. Oh, isn’t this the Stones’ lengthiest performance in terms of the number of songs performed?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2021 08:37

not sure about the vault
but I know LD's heart is ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 4, 2021 17:58

The vaults aren't empty but they are redundant. The only thing missing is a DEE-LUXE, expanded THREE LP version of "Love You Live" wherein:

Record one, sides A and B would be unchanged from the original.

Record two, side C would consist of era correct live outtakes. For example; 1. Hey Negrita, 2. Let's Spend the Night Together, 3. Dead Flowers, 4. Wild Horses, 5. Rip This Joint

Record two, side D would be unchanged from the original.

Record three, side A would consist of four El Macombo outtakes for example, 1. All Down the line, 2. Hand of Fate, 3. Route 66, 4. Worried About You

Record three side B would be the same as the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-04 18:00 by rbk.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 4, 2021 19:41

Jagger opens the "archive" just a little when he needs to generate media/fan attention between tours, so nobody forgets about the band.
But to me he has zero will to offer a comprenhensive view into the band's past à la "Dick's Picks" with the Dead.

Therefore we'd better pick the crumbs he drops at our feet and chew them for as long as we can. grinning smiley

Imho again in Jagger's mind filling the gaps in the official live discography is more than enough, so we had 73 75 78 82 live releases and a bunch of "historical" shows like the 1995 club-gigs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-04 19:44 by dcba.

Date: January 5, 2021 03:24

Few shows aside, there are plenty of studio leftovers that could be issued but that is something that's probably got a slimmer chance than any more unheard live material. The GHS deluxe reissue was quite odd, really, so I guess we can consider ourselves extremely lucky to have gotten that.

I certainly don't expect any other leftover studio recordings to be released.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 5, 2021 07:01

Topi
None of the Four Flicks shows are complete. There's always a couple of songs missing.

jbwelda,I recommend watching the theatre show too (Paris Olympia). Great versions of That's How Strong My Love Is and Worried About You, for example.

agreed...just love those versions.

Date: January 5, 2021 08:10

>I certainly don't expect any other leftover studio recordings to be released.

Not sure why you would say that, I would think that GHS's reception would lead to a realization that the unreleased studio stuff is a cash cow. Mick seems to have an obsession with "finishing" the songs but even without that I think the stuff sells and that was proven by GHS among other releases. They sell not only by themselves (as in "singles" release) but also re-sell the album to those who already have it and don't particularly have any reason to buy a replacement.

So I would think we will see more of that, particularly if and when Mick eases up on the importance of "completion" when it comes to releasing old material.

jb

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 5, 2021 15:43

Will we see a "Poms in Oz '73" product in our lifetimes??

Two live shows plus a DVD with the extant live footage and promo interviews would be cracking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-06 13:16 by Father Ted.

Date: January 5, 2021 16:09

jbwelda
>I certainly don't expect any other leftover studio recordings to be released.

Not sure why you would say that, I would think that GHS's reception would lead to a realization that the unreleased studio stuff is a cash cow. Mick seems to have an obsession with "finishing" the songs but even without that I think the stuff sells and that was proven by GHS among other releases. They sell not only by themselves (as in "singles" release) but also re-sell the album to those who already have it and don't particularly have any reason to buy a replacement.

So I would think we will see more of that, particularly if and when Mick eases up on the importance of "completion" when it comes to releasing old material.

jb

Well, as out of the blue as GHS was, doesn't it seem odd that something with more success, like ER, especially since it had it's 40 year anniversary blah blah blah... would be more realistic?

Considering the lack of quality and purposeful small amount of material on the SG, EOMS and SF reissues, GHS was quite a treasure trove - with the different working recordings and mixes - even though, like SG, they strayed beyond the timeline, as well as the lack of unreleased material still.

Of all the times they choose not to follow The Beatles, they skimp on studio recordings with anthologocial releases.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 5, 2021 16:13

GasLightStreet

Of all the times they choose not to follow The Beatles, they skimp on studio recordings with anthologocial releases.

Good one!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 5, 2021 20:34

A soundboard Nicaraguan Benefit Concert.Maybe they have one.but Mick won’t release it because it reminds him of Bianca

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 5, 2021 22:39

..I'm not sure it's a bad souvenir for him....!

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: January 5, 2021 22:47

when something official is announced

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2021 23:01

but Mick won’t release it because it reminds him of Bianca

That's not nice .... that's way below the belt ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 6, 2021 12:23

1973 Los Angeles concert is not a great performance, compared with other Jan/Feb 1973 shows, that is. It's only the setlist that's terrific, but you can read that on paper. They'd be better off releasing Honolulu, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney - but they probably won't. "Live in Bremen 1998" or "Live in Miami 1994" seems to be their thing now. And I wonder who in the world bother to listen to these things.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home