Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: 2021 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 3, 2021 15:47

Some sniper, Holtz. He scored once. He didn't live up to the hype. He plays for Djurgården, so the hype was even worse. Media is very Stockholm centered here. Media doesn't write much about it because it's the juniors. Understandably. But all this hype and all the time on the ice... I guess he's not loved by everyone right now...

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 3, 2021 15:59

Looking forward to a Canada-USA matchup in the Gold Medal Game!

Date: January 3, 2021 16:15

Yes, that will probably be it Topi. Russia is a conundrum though. Sometimes they play better than any other team, sometimes they fold under pressure.
It has been like that since the Wall fell... Must be frustrating for them...

Date: January 3, 2021 17:14

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-03 22:31 by Stoneage.

Date: January 4, 2021 10:17

The big question for the semifinals:

Is Topi able to stay up for both games?

(CAN-RUS goes 1am, USA-FIN 4:30am...)

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 4, 2021 14:16

fun games today....The Canadian team is loaded with superstars.....their top Defensive duo is outstanding....and the number of #1 picks is impressive,,,,,the USA team with Zegras and Caufield has been fun to watch too...

Date: January 4, 2021 14:20

Russia I think has a slight goaltending edge.

I can see both semis being one-goal games. Certainly no blowouts.

As a Habs fan I'm pleased to see Caufield play. He can rip that thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-04 14:21 by Topi.

Date: January 5, 2021 03:36

Oh wow, that post aged well..
Canada is just crazy good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-05 09:18 by Topi.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 5, 2021 07:42

Great game tonight with USA beating Finland, scoring a goal late in the 3rd period to set up a Canada/USA final. Canada beat Russia 5-0 earlier today. Canada has lead every game so far and has 2 shutouts in the last 2 games. Should be an exciting game.
Man I wish Kirby Dach didn't get injured, since I'm a huge Blackhawks fan. He was Canada's best player, too.

Date: January 5, 2021 07:58

Canada has yet to allow a goal 5 on 5.

Date: January 5, 2021 09:07

Hey Topi, where do you live?

Date: January 5, 2021 09:18

Helsinki.

USA vs FIN sure was a fun game to watch! Hoping the Finns get the bronze, they have shown character all tourney long.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-05 09:20 by Topi.

Date: January 5, 2021 16:19

I thought Igor had sorted the Russian team out. Apparently not. So much talent, so little result. Seems to be the order ever since Comrade Tichonov left. The NHL skims off all European talents.
That's what it's about really. It was more exciting during the seventies and eighties. Before The Wall went down.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 5, 2021 17:34

Finland played their best game of the tournament by a big margin, but that wasn't enough. They put a lot of pressure, but USA simply used better their rare chances (in the crucial moments) by the superior talent of their individual players. But I was surprised how well Finland played. The team surely surpassed all the expectations.

However, although USA didn't played so well, the team looks very well organized with a great defence ethics and having some damn dangerous offenders, so even if Canada most likely controls the final and attacks like a mad bull, USA surely will have its chances if they keep their head cool. Of course, Canada is a huge favourite to win. Not just having an incredible amount of talent, they have played very well together as a team. Russia simply had no chance. They were, once again, the biggest disappointment of the tournament (Sweden the second).

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 5, 2021 17:59

Stoneage
I thought Igor had sorted the Russian team out. Apparently not. So much talent, so little result. Seems to be the order ever since Comrade Tichonov left. The NHL skims off all European talents.
That's what it's about really. It was more exciting during the seventies and eighties. Before The Wall went down.

I don't know if it was. CCCP was just so superior to any other team that it took the interest away from the international hockey (world championship games, that is), since NHL and Canada didn't took anything outside of NHL realm seriously. It was a happening each time the team CCCP happened to lose (not very often, to put it mildly...). No 'professionals' in Olympic Games (aah, the Miracle on Ice....). Only in Canada Cup we could rarely see the best players of the world facing each other every six years or so. Not too often these days either, though...

That said, the Red Machine was a beauty to watch back in the day... Or does that sound more like a nostalgia now? Back then it was actually horrible to watch, since they were so much better than anyone else that it was no fun.... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: January 5, 2021 21:36

The final? I think Canada will win. But for every win they are getting closer to a loss. Doesn't matter to me though. It's the same league (NHL) anyway.
Maybe Russia can show their full potential against Finland with nothing at stake (well, a bronze medal). I guess the medal means more for the Finns? So, who knows...

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: January 5, 2021 23:34

I liked the desperation I saw from Finn's squad, which has been a constant theme in recent years, thus the overachievements. They often keep it simple, offer good puck support on the power play & deft movement. They're the comeback kids, who seemingly thrive on some degree of adversity. They're somewhat clutch & timely scoring & goaltending/team defense is fun to watch. Kudos to their coaching staff.

A couple of years back a recent high NHL draft pick threw his silver medal into the stands. It was Sweden's Lias Andersson (New York Rangers prospect). But for most Swe/Fin/Cze/Slo & to a greater extent Ger/Aut/Swi etc. players, most of those kids will never play 1 game in the NHL (world's most talented league), so even a silver/bronze has significant meaning. They appreciate any winning a lot more, even just the experience of being selected to represent their country & finishing out of the medal round. They are refreshingly humble. Canada almost feels entitled to it. Even USA a bit.

A USA vs. Canada final is the most probable for numerous reasons. Smaller rinks, which they're used to (makes a difference), 20 1st Rd. draft picks for CAN, 9 for U.S.A. iirc.

Sweden's Lias Andersson throws WJC silver medal into stands ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-06 01:19 by KevinM.

Date: January 6, 2021 00:17

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-06 01:38 by Stoneage.

Date: January 6, 2021 01:43

KevinM
I liked the desperation I saw from Finn's squad, which has been a constant theme in recent years, thus the overachievements. They often keep it simple, offer good puck support on the power play & deft movement. They're the comeback kids, who seemingly thrive on some degree of adversity. They're somewhat clutch & timely scoring & goaltending/team defense is fun to watch. Kudos to their coaching staff.

A couple of years back a recent high NHL draft pick threw his silver medal into the stands. It was Sweden's Lias Andersson (New York Rangers prospect). But for most Swe/Fin/Cze/Slo & to a greater extent Ger/Aut/Swi etc. players, most of those kids will never play 1 game in the NHL (world's most talented league), so even a silver/bronze has significant meaning. They appreciate any winning a lot more, even just the experience of being selected to represent their country & finishing out of the medal round. They are refreshingly humble. Canada almost feels entitled to it. Even USA a bit.

A USA vs. Canada final is the most probable for numerous reasons. Smaller rinks, which they're used to (makes a difference), 20 1st Rd. draft picks for CAN, 9 for U.S.A. iirc.

Sweden's Lias Andersson throws WJC silver medal into stands ...

If I recall, he did get the medal back. As far as Canada feeling entitled to it, yes we do! As I mentioned previously, I wish Kirby Dach didn't get injured. He was the best player on Team Canada. Alex Lafreniere, who was picked first overall by the New York Rangers, wasn't given permission by the Rangers to join Team Canada. He is the best junior player in the world and I'm sure will do well with the Rangers this year.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: January 6, 2021 01:44

Stoneage
Sure, Kevin. The difference is perhaps that, before NHL took all of our talent, to play in your national league was every young player's dream and to play for your national team was the highest honor. The top goal so to speak. Now it isn't. Now it's all about NHL. To play in the junior WC is just a path to the NHL. If someone had acted like Elias in the old days people would have questioned his sanity.

The NHL doesn't take all the talent. The kids want to play vs. the best talent in the world & not coincidentally get paid the most $ to do so...with the exception of entry level contracts vs. KHL for example. In recent seasons & the emergence of the KHL more Russians have stayed at home to play for their country & live in their homeland. Artemi Panarin (all-star) is a prime example.

During Russia's dominance of Intl.Hockey ~('56-'89) they often sent their best players to various tournaments vs. CAN/USA etc. In the 1st period of this Rus/Fin match they commentate on this specifically. That's not to say the Russians weren't great, they're were beyond great & I love Russian (puck possession) hockey from that period & beyond. It was creative, a piece of art, East-West, vs. North American (North-South) dump 'n chase hockey. My team, the Detroit Red Wings, drafted & developed & traded for numerous Russians during their glory years, winning 4 Stanley Cups & 6 SCF's + 6 presidents trophies & ~a dozen division titles in ~20 yrs. Much of their success is attributed to the Russian puck possession style. Now, in 2020, 10 years after the Wings dominance ended, all NHL teams employ some form of puck possession. It's just smarter, way more entertaining hockey. Wayne Gretzky was asked in 1998 or 1999 who he liked watching & he said "Datsyuk & Zetterberg" from Detroit. That's high praise from The Great One. The Russians were chess-masters while most other teams were playing checkers, relatively speaking.

If you get a chance, watch Red Army (iirc), a documentary featuring Slava Fetisov as the main focus, with his Russian 5 teammates & older Soviet era players also. Best hockey documentary I've seen & I've seen many. It is told from the Soviet perspective, tons of great footage, the story of Anatoly Tarasov, ranks up there with Scotty Bowman for great coaches of all time.

EDIT: on that note, the Russian WJC was relatively younger than their counterparts, they did however win the Karjala Cup tournament in Finland (a men's tournament), while they were much younger, so their future is bright.
Congrats to Eemil Viro & Team Finland on a well deserved Bronze medal.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-06 04:14 by KevinM.

Date: January 6, 2021 07:07

Congratulations, Team USA!
Knight was great in goal. Florida is going to be deep in goal in the future.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 6, 2021 07:16

what i wanna know is, WHY DIDNT TOPI START THIS THREAD????

p

Date: January 6, 2021 07:28

Very disappointing loss by Canada, but full credit to the US, an awesome game. Earlier today, TSN analyst Bob Mackenzie had an article saying if Canada wins, will this be considered the best Team Canada of all time? No! The dejected look on all the players said it all.
One thing, they should get a bigger championship trophy! Trophy doesn't look to be much more than a foot tall. Nice to see the US had a female amongst the coaching staff.

Date: January 6, 2021 10:36

timbernardis
what i wanna know is, WHY DIDNT TOPI START THIS THREAD????

p

I don't start threads. smiling smiley

Date: January 6, 2021 14:03

Congrats to Team USA, and Finland also. I guess there is some truth in that chliché (for every win you're getting closer to a loss). Canada were clear favorites before the final.
I guess there won't be any ceremonies in Kreml when Team Russia comes home this time around...

Date: January 6, 2021 14:07

Thanks for your answer, Kevin M. I can see that you are very knowledgeable about hockey. There were some things I wanted to add here but, perhaps, I will find time for that later on. It's all good for now.

Date: January 6, 2021 14:43

I wonder about the future for international hockey though. The NHL is planning on boycotting the Olympics now also. Not only the WC. That will, of course, state the end of international hockey on a top level. The WC:s will continue when the Corona situation is under control. That is for sure. It's a pity though that a junior tournament is considered the number one tournament in hockey. I miss the days of Canada Cup. What ever happened to Alan Eagleson?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2021 14:57

Stoneage
... What ever happened to Alan Eagleson?

Wiki: Eagleson was convicted of fraud and embezzlement and briefly imprisoned, after it was revealed that he had abused his position for many years by defrauding his clients and skimming money from tournaments. After his convictions, he was removed as a member of the Order of Canada and resigned from the Hockey Hall of Fame where he had been inducted in the builder category.

I seem to recall it also involved selling rink board advertising. He was a crook.

Date: January 6, 2021 15:10

Yep, I kind of knew that STG. Even a crook can do good things is perhaps the credo here?

Date: January 7, 2021 00:09

Stoneage
I wonder about the future for international hockey though. The NHL is planning on boycotting the Olympics now also. Not only the WC. That will, of course, state the end of international hockey on a top level. The WC:s will continue when the Corona situation is under control. That is for sure. It's a pity though that a junior tournament is considered the number one tournament in hockey. I miss the days of Canada Cup. What ever happened to Alan Eagleson?

Unfortunately the Olympics occurs during the middle of the NHL season so they have to take 3 weeks off for it, which screws with the schedule. At least NBA plays in the summer olympics so it's during the off season.
World Championships occur during the Stanley Cup playoffs, so it is a bit of a consolation for players from teams that didn't make the playoffs or players from teams that get knocked out in the opening round. WC are a good chance for the younger players to get international experience, whereas some star veteran players will decline the invite to play, many having played in previous years.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home