Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones and J.J. Cale?
Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: December 28, 2020 16:15

I have a question concerning something I noticed, and can't really find an explanation, so all your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Is there any connection between the Stones, both as a band or individually to J.J. Cale, his music, his guitar style or any form of other musical or social relationship over the years?

There just seems to be a giant blank (or my blind spot), which really mystefies me, since not only was a Stones-friend like Eric Clapton very close to J.J. Cale, but more importantly from my perspective Cale's guitar style and its sound sure must have been interesting to Keith or Ronnie at least.

However, I am not even aware of a single quote from any one of the Stones relating to J.J. Cale and his music. So is it just me or is there really nothing?

Re: The Stones and J.J. Cale?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 28, 2020 17:58

"Cocaine"

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 28, 2020 18:27

Clapton stole a lot from J.J.Cale and made him rich (althought Clapton never achieved Cale's coolness)

The Stones stole a lot from many people but did they ever make anybody rich (besides themselves)?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 28, 2020 18:36

Lynyrd Skynyrd also helped out by recording a couple of JJ songs.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 28, 2020 19:50

slewan
Clapton stole a lot from J.J.Cale and made him rich (althought Clapton never achieved Cale's coolness)

The Stones stole a lot from many people but did they ever make anybody rich (besides themselves)?

Interesting comment!
There's the story of Clapton showing up one evening of 1968 or 69 at the doorstep of Howling Wolf with a briefcase full of cash saying : "this is for the songwriting rights you'll never see"... but that story might be invented.

The stones never did but they re-started the touring career of many talented bluesmen. Like "we're not responsible for you getting ripped off of your songs copyright but there's a bunch of money to be made provided you're willing to go on tour".
I think Muddy Waters never complained about Mick and Keef.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 28, 2020 20:11

well, Clapton made J.J.Cale famous and created income for him by playing his songs on a regular basis. I guess most people knew J.J. Cale through Clapton

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 28, 2020 20:21

Clapton owes a good amount of gratitude to JJ Cale, along with Freddie King, Albert King and a few others. Re Cale, here's a nice bit with him and Leon Russell from back in the day.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 29, 2020 05:41

For some time, it was like Eric Clapton was trying to morph himself into JJ Cale. I am glad others see the similarity.

jb

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: December 29, 2020 14:56

dmay
Clapton owes a good amount of gratitude to JJ Cale, along with Freddie King, Albert King and a few others. Re Cale, here's a nice bit with him and Leon Russell from back in the day.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for sharing, I have not seen before, very cool!

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 31, 2020 00:17

I saw JJ Cale in Boston likely mid-90s. Very tasteful and understated player, riff oriented, which is perhaps the Keith connection.

The thing I remember most clearly was he and a female vocalist created a natural fade out -- I think on the song "Money Talks" -- by backing one step away from the microphone with each repetition of the line.

His sense of swing always seemed to be utterly effortless. I like his versions of songs made famous by others because they are liking sliding into your favorite suit, "I'll Make Love to you Anytime" covered by Clapton and "Rock and Roll Records" are two of my faves.

Was certainly glad Clapton made some coin for him. He wrote some great songs.

T@3

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 31, 2020 05:54

I saw his show around Christmas time after following the Stones all over the US in the winter of 1981.
It was on a small stage in a music store in L.A.
I think there were about 200 people in the audience.
That was a memorable show with Nicolette Larson and Albert Lee in the band.

When I went to the bathroom, I was able to have a conversation with them in front of the dressing room.
I remember talking to them about the Stones, Clapton, and Mick Taylor. Nicolette was very lovely.
They were very friendly to me, a young Stone Head from the land of the rising sun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home