Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Blues in Rythmn show 1964
Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: December 27, 2020 18:07

I believe that this is the gig where Cops n Robbers was recorded along with 3 other tracks. Does anyone know if the whole show was recorded, who were the other artists and songs and have they been released anywhere.

Re: Blues in Rythmn show 1964
Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: December 27, 2020 18:41

All I know is, that Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames performed
-Night Train
-Do-Re-Mi
and
-Let the Sun Shine In at the Camden Theatre on March 19th, 1964.
And of course the 4 Stones tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-27 18:42 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Date: December 27, 2020 20:15

These songs were released in "On Air". Recorded May 9, 1964.

Cops and Robbers.

Mona.

Rt 66

You Better Move On.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2020 20:23

It was just a show recorded for radio - just the four song set, and not a full length concert. As far as I recall, it was an experiment done as a sort of early stereo simulcast, so it was aired at something like 9.15 am, so that the listener could hear the performance on Network 3 in radio in one channel and BBC-TV (which was normally off air at that time of day) in the other.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 27, 2020 22:17

...see the 45pm EP in "GRRR" de luxe box....

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 27, 2020 23:29

The Camden Theatre belonged to the BBC from 1945 to the early 1970s and was used as a recording studio, so this would have been a session for radio, not a concert in the usual sense. The recordings are probably in the BBC's archives, unless somebody taped them off-air.

After the BBC left, the theatre was dark for a while, but is now the KOKO venue.

[www.arthurlloyd.co.uk]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 27, 2020 23:30

I remember these 4 songs were on the radio back in 87 (I think). Excellent stereo sound, with Long John Baldrey as the host. I like this live version of Mona better than the studio version!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 28, 2020 02:52

Gazza
It was just a show recorded for radio - just the four song set, and not a full length concert. As far as I recall, it was an experiment done as a sort of early stereo simulcast, so it was aired at something like 9.15 am, so that the listener could hear the performance on Network 3 in radio in one channel and BBC-TV (which was normally off air at that time of day) in the other.

Correct. The radio component was actually on what was then called 'The Third Programme' and was normally reserved for things like 'classical' concerts.

Truly Great Performances from The Stones.

Cops & Robbers is brilliant.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 28, 2020 03:04

DGA35
I remember these 4 songs were on the radio back in 87 (I think). Excellent stereo sound, with Long John Baldrey as the host. I like this live version of Mona better than the studio version!

Yeah, the BBC broadcast a one hour special called 'The Stones at the Beeb' in November 1985, which featured lots of radio sessions from 1963-65, many of which hadnt been bootlegged or circulated up until that point. I think the Camden Theatre recordings had previously appeared on bootlegs prior to then, however.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 28, 2020 03:15

Boot CD released 1988 ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 28, 2020 03:24

Gazza

I think the Camden Theatre recordings had previously appeared on bootlegs prior to then, however.

Definitely. :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: December 28, 2020 10:01

Since my original post I have been doing a little more digging and find that the topic has been discussed here several times before, notably by our friend Deltics who posted the complete broadcast in flac back in 2010. I found this through a Google search rather than an IORR search

[iorr.org]

I have owned a copy of the TMQ bootleg EP for many years and bought it at the same time as the Bright Lights Big City LP, probably the best Stones investment I ever made. This has always been my favourite era for the band and if my house was on fire I would save these first along with the Chess Sessions boot.

It's time we unearthed the Gomeslky tapes.....

Date: December 28, 2020 13:03

Live Album Talk Camden 1964: [iorr.org]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 28, 2020 18:38

Green Lady
The Camden Theatre belonged to the BBC from 1945 to the early 1970s and was used as a recording studio, so this would have been a session for radio, not a concert in the usual sense. The recordings are probably in the BBC's archives, unless somebody taped them off-air.

After the BBC left, the theatre was dark for a while, but is now the KOKO venue.

[www.arthurlloyd.co.uk]

It’s a nice venue; and is just opposite the Mornington Crescent Underground Station, if I recollect correctly. I saw Ash there, around 2009. I believe Madonna performed her first-ever U.K. gig there in ‘84, when it was known as ‘The Camden Palace’

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2031
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home