Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: When you thought Punk was over...
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 23, 2020 21:09

...probably too strong tobacco for this forum. I censor myself before someone else does it...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 22:41 by Stoneage.

Re: OT: When you thought Punk was over...
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 23, 2020 22:15

I've listened to some stupid sh*t in my time and this is right up there. Saying/singing naughty words to rattle cages, offend, is so old, so tiresome. Adding a frantic punk beat doesn't make it fresh or relevant. Using a word that many find offensive as your band's name doesn't make you cool, anti-establishment or radical. Using songs as political commentary is nothing new. Country Joe screamed out "Give me an F, give me a U" etc., at Woodstock in 1969. The MC5 kicked off an album/song, if I remember right, with the words "Kick out the jams Motherf*cker". Recently, there is a song/video called "F*ck Donald Trump" which is basically like the song you posted here - an ongoing repetition, for the most part, of the title phrase. So, the shock of hollering out naughty/offensive words is no big thing, nothing to get excited about. The folks who recorded this should go and listen to The Clash, Elvis Costello,The Kinks, others, if they want to see how songs can be used for political commentary.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 23, 2020 22:29

I agree, dmay. But this single makes a stark contrast to the other songs on the Christmas time Top Ten Singles list. That's why I noticed it. And the wonderment that it isn't banned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 22:40 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 24, 2020 03:33

When the Scene became New Wave.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 24, 2020 15:24

I missed the original link...here's my brilliant contribution! (disclaimer: not punk)

[www.youtube.com]

@#$%& 2020!

Date: December 24, 2020 15:32

Some great new punk bands in town.

Love IDLES and Amyl and the Sniffers

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 25, 2020 02:49

Machine Gun Kelly's punkish new album

[www.youtube.com]

excellent performance from the Play On concert. LOVE IT!

Machine Gun Kelly Rocked The ‘Play On’ Concert Benefit Special With Performance Of “Forget Me Too” And “Bloody Valentine”
Music Mayhem December 15, 2020

Machine Gun Kelly performed a medley of his from his latest album during the Play On: Celebrating the Power of Music to Make Change concert benefit special on Tuesday (Dec. 15).

“I’m so honored to be playing on the Apollo stage today and I remember being here 11 years ago with just $26 dollars to my name with really really big dream,” MGK said.

The singer performed a medley of hits from Tickets To My Downfall that included “Forget Me Too” and “Bloody Valentine.” He performed the popular tracks live from the Apollo Theater, accompanied by a full band.

MGK first took the stage at Apollo Theater during Amateur Night in 2009 when he was just 18 years old. That was the night he got his “big break.”

“Forget Me Too” is a track from MGK’s latest No. 1 album, Tickets To My Downfall. The album that has amassed more than half a billion streams in under a week.

Hosted by Kevin Bacon and Eve, the special also featured performance from LL COOL J featuring DJ Z-Trip, Sara Bareilles, Emily King, Pedrito Martinez, Maren Morris, Bon Jovi, Sheryl Crow, John Legend, Jon Batiste and many more.

Play On: Celebrating the Power of Music to Make Change raised funds for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) and WhyHunger, through the Play On fund created by Sixdegrees.org, by amplifying awareness for transformational racial, social and food justice. During the broadcast, viewers were able to donate to the organizations by texting the code “PLAYON” to 44-321.

The special aired on Tuesday, Dec. 15 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network and was available to stream live on CBS All Access.

Interview: [www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-25 02:51 by exilestones.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 25, 2020 02:50

Machine Gun Kelly will perform during Play On: Celebrating the Power of Music to Make Change, an upcoming benefit concert special airing December 11 on CBS.

The hour-long benefit event will promote awareness about the issues of racial, social and food justice, while raising funds for two charities -- the NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, a.k.a. LDF, and WhyHunger.

The program will feature an eclectic list of artists from the worlds of rock, pop, country, hip-hop and jazz/funk performing at three historic U.S. venues: The Apollo Theater in New York City, The Bluebird Cafe in Nashville and The Troubadour in Los Angeles. Kelly's set, for example, will be filmed from the Apollo.

Other artists on the lineup include Gary Clark Jr., Bon Jovi, Ziggy Marley, Andra Day, Slick Rick, Snoop Dogg, Jon Batiste, Maren Morris, Sheryl Crow, Yola, and The Highwomen.

Kevin Bacon will co-host the Play On special with rapper, actress and The Talk co-host Eve.

Bacon founded SixDegrees.org, whose Play On Fund will distribute the money raised by the special.

"2020 has been an immensely challenging year and many have turned to music as a great source of comfort, hope and strength," says Bacon. "I am so thrilled to be teaming up my philanthropic organization Six Degrees with the respected producers and artists who have signed on for this remarkable night of music to help amplify these important issues and bring some much-needed joy through music."

Play On will air December 11 at 9 p.m. ET on CBS, and will be available for streaming on YouTube starting at 10 p.m. ET.

By Matt Friedlander
Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home