Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Leslie West
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: December 23, 2020 16:18

Mountain’s Leslie West Gravely Ill, “Heart Gave Out” Tuesday Night

So sad to hear this, saw him with both Mountain and West Bruce & Laing.

Prayers.

Editorial update:

Leslie West, ‘Mississippi Queen’ Rocker, Is Dead at 75 (New York Times)

Leslie West, Mountain Guitarist Who Belted ‘Mississippi Queen,’ Dead at 75 (Rolling Stone)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-28 12:59 by bv.

Re: OT: Leslie West is gravely ill
Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: December 23, 2020 17:18

Too bad, his first solo album "Mountain" and the first Mountain album "Climbing" are both essential.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 23, 2020 17:46

Used to listen to Mountain when they first came around. Hope he recovers and all goes well afterward.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: December 23, 2020 23:46

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 24, 2020 15:05

Sadly he passed:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: December 27, 2020 02:27

[www.youtube.com]

A friend of mine knew Leslie well and shared this link with me.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 28, 2020 00:17

RIP. One of the greats. He was an unpredictable player IMO, always interesting and especially on those first Mountain records.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 28, 2020 04:56

Saw him a few years back with Corky Laing on drums, and Noel Redding on bass, at the House of Blues in Los Angeles. Now only Corky remains. Even the House of Blues in L.A. is being torn down right now.

OT - RIP Leslie West
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 23, 2020 23:55

It looks like this sad news has been confirmed.

Leslie West, ‘Mississippi Queen’ Rocker, Is Dead at 75 (New York Times)

Leslie West, Mountain Guitarist Who Belted ‘Mississippi Queen,’ Dead at 75 (Rolling Stone)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 18:28 by bv.

Re: OT - RIP Leslie West
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: December 24, 2020 00:00

MOUNTAIN - Nantucket Sleighride - Live 1970 at The Fillmore East

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 24, 2020 00:08

Never a big fan, but still, rise in power Leslie West.

jb

Date: December 24, 2020 00:14

RIP. I was listening to the Vagrants-compilation the other day.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 24, 2020 01:00

video: [www.youtube.com]
High Roller Jagger,Richards,L West,Corky Laing

Leslie : One night I opened my door in New York, I met Mick Jagger and he brought David Bowie to my house. We had a good time, a lot of drugs and had Mick Jagger playing rhythm guitar on one of my albums.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: December 24, 2020 01:35

Big fan of him, a great guitar player into a great power trio.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: December 24, 2020 01:38

He loved those LP jrs. I read an interview once and he said when they were on tour in the early 70's, he would stop in pawn shops and buy mid 50's LP jrs for $50 U.S. because the shop owners didn't know what they had.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 24, 2020 03:35

Ah darn it - saw the other thread this morning that he was very ill, but didn't have time to reply.
Now to see this...very sad....

Here's a early cool clip from '64 of Leslie with the Vagrants...

RIP Leslie West

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 03:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 24, 2020 04:51

RIP

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 24, 2020 05:06

R.I.P.

Posted by: Bushfire ()
Date: December 24, 2020 07:49

Very sad news. I became a big fan of Mountain and Leslie West in the early 70´s. He was truly one of the greatest guitar players. Thank you for all the inspiration. RIP.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 24, 2020 08:15

I loved Mountain back in the day. RIP Leslie.

Rod

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 24, 2020 10:22

Loved Nantucket sleigh ride and that album Twin peaks
RIP

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 24, 2020 15:37

I saw Mountain in a tiny club about 15 years ago. Felix was obviously long gone, but Corky was still on drums. Can't remember the bass player's name. I think he was associated in some way with Ace Frehley. I stood right in front, directly in front of Leslie's Marshall stacks. It might have been the loudest show I've ever been to. Hard to say, because knowing their reputation for excessive volume, it was the only time in my life I've ever worn ear plugs. Mid-set they did a little three-song tribute to Cream. When they launched into "Sunshine of Your Love" I said, "Oh, @#$%& it, I've got to hear this!" I took out the ear plugs and this gargantuan roar of sound filled my ears like nothing I've ever heard in my life. The next song was "Mississippi Queen" and I got scared and put the ear plugs back in!

I liked their irreverence. When someone walked up to Leslie and handed him a guitar pick, asking if he would please use it for a song, Leslie graciously accepted the pick, and then handed the guy a pick of his own. "Here's one of mine," Leslie said. "It's got cum on it."

Later, at the meet and greet, someone gushed to Corky, "You're the greatest wild man drummer of all time!" "You're only saying that because I'm here," Corky replied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 16:32 by tatters.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 24, 2020 16:15

How great was Mountain back in the day? -Just wondrin´. I have just checked out the song Nantucket Sleighride for the first time, at youtube. -Nice verses and riffs, the chorus so so.

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: December 24, 2020 16:33

Sad news, Leslie West was an excellent & distinctive guitar player. Listening to 'Stormy Monday' by Mountain [Last Great Rock Festivals of the '70's - Atlanta Pop & Isle of Wight]; a great version of the song that showcases the range of Leslie West guitar play. I saw Mountain at George Mason University in December 1973; they put on a really good show.WHO fans probably recognize is work on alternate takes from 'Who's Next' deluxe edition. His guitar playing is distinctively different from Pete Townshends'.

Posted by: bjornone ()
Date: December 24, 2020 17:26

Sad. The "Leslie West Mountain" album from 1969 is so beautiful. One of my all time favourite. Have been on a binge on that album over the last year.

Has anyone mentioned that Jagger contributes with guitar (!) on Leslies "The Great Fatsby" from 1975?

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: December 24, 2020 22:11

I got to see Leslie West I think it was 1975 or 1976 in Boston,hell of a show,sad news that now he is gone,r.i.p.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 25, 2020 16:32

Just recalling something he said in a TV interview in the early 80s about the difference between guitar players and singers: "God respects the ones who work but loves the ones who sing" ... winking smiley

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 25, 2020 16:54

Mick Jagger played guitar on a couple of his solo albums if I'm not mistaken ?

Also, he was supposed to be the Lead guitarist on 'Who's Next " and Townsend was just going to play acoustic ....

Re: OT: RIP Leslie West
Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 30, 2020 09:22

Mountain was my first concert: July '71 at Milwaukee's Summerfest. An odd bill, with John Sebastian and Poco as openers. I spun the Nantucket Sleighride album endlessly that summer. RIP to a guitar monster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home