Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What Stones' Album Do You Listen To...
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 22, 2020 11:24

GasLightStreet
1. Most Often: UNDERCOVER/TATTOO YOU

2. Almost As Often: GOATS HEAD SOUP/EMOTIONAL RESCUE

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: DIRTY WORK

4. When Seeking A Guilty Pleasure: BETWEEN THE BUTTONS

5. That You'd Never Admit To: TSMR - only the EP's worth of good songs

6. If You Need A Shot Of Adrenaline: GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!, STILL LIFE, NO SECURITY (certain tracks), LOVE YOU LIVE (certain tracks)

7. When You Want To Appreciate Pure Genius: LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, TATTOO YOU

8. When You're Itching To Turn Back The Clock: SUCKING IN THE 70S, REWIND

9. When Life Has Got You Down: A BIGGER BANG (this came out right after Hurricane Katrina kept me on the run and rurnt my life for a while, the only thing positive at that point, so it has that kind of uplift for me)

10. When People Tell You The Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Living In A Ghost Town: I've played it for some people and they were absolutely floored that it was The Rolling Stones. Not that that really matters but they did really like it.

No Exile for you?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 23, 2020 02:05

matxil
GasLightStreet
1. Most Often: UNDERCOVER/TATTOO YOU

2. Almost As Often: GOATS HEAD SOUP/EMOTIONAL RESCUE

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: DIRTY WORK

4. When Seeking A Guilty Pleasure: BETWEEN THE BUTTONS

5. That You'd Never Admit To: TSMR - only the EP's worth of good songs

6. If You Need A Shot Of Adrenaline: GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!, STILL LIFE, NO SECURITY (certain tracks), LOVE YOU LIVE (certain tracks)

7. When You Want To Appreciate Pure Genius: LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, TATTOO YOU

8. When You're Itching To Turn Back The Clock: SUCKING IN THE 70S, REWIND

9. When Life Has Got You Down: A BIGGER BANG (this came out right after Hurricane Katrina kept me on the run and rurnt my life for a while, the only thing positive at that point, so it has that kind of uplift for me)

10. When People Tell You The Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Living In A Ghost Town: I've played it for some people and they were absolutely floored that it was The Rolling Stones. Not that that really matters but they did really like it.

No Exile for you?

No where does it say I don't listen to EXILE.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 23, 2020 02:07

It doesn't necessarily not say it...eye popping smiley

Date: December 23, 2020 02:39

ryanpow

I can't help assumptions. Why anyone would assume such a thing makes no sense to me. What, is it some kind of thing that one has to list EXILE in every @#$%& poll with the Stones?

That's @#$%& stupid.

Nowhere does it imply I don't listen to EXILE or BEGGARS BANQUET or BLACK AND BLUE or IORR.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 23, 2020 02:49

Yeah, I know. I was just using "the throw whatever you can at the wall and see if it sticks" line of argument.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 03:20 by ryanpow.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 23, 2020 04:37

1. Most Often: EXILE ON MAIN ST.

2. Almost As Often: BEGGARS BANQUET

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: BRIDGES TO BABYLON

4. When Seeking A Guilty Pleasure: DIRTY WORK (there IS a good EP in there!)

5. That You'd Never Admit To: A BIGGER BANG

6. If You Need A Shot Of Adrenaline: LADIES & GENTLEMEN

7. When You Want To Appreciate Pure Genius: EXILE

8. When You're Itching To Turn Back The Clock: LET IT BLEED

9. When Life Has Got You Down: BLACK & BLUE (except not Fool to Cry)

10. When People Tell You The Stones Don't Matter Anymore: EXILE

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 23, 2020 05:28

Hopefully some day we'll all be able to say "I'm listening to the new Stones album"!!!
Not looking too good at this point for a whole album, so to be realistic hopefully some we'll all be able to say "I'm listening to the new Stones single"!!!
Ghost Town was quite a surprise, but the thrill and excitement of that lone tune has dwindled since it's release. It is a great tune though, and if it's their last, a great way to end on a high note.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 23, 2020 08:52

tomekdp
1. Most Often: 'Sticky Fingers'

2. Almost as Often: 'Steel Wheels'

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: 'Their Satanic'

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: 'Dirty Work'

5. That You'd Never Admit Not to Like: 'Exile...'

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: Maybe "Dirty Work", played loud?

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: None of the Stones records, not this category...

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: 'Flashpoint'

9. When Life Has Got You Down: 'Beggars Banquet'

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Some of the recent DVD's 1990+
[/quote]

Really? Not even like Let it Bleed? I do think that LIB and Sticky could vie for that.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 23, 2020 09:41

GasLightStreet
ryanpow

I can't help assumptions. Why anyone would assume such a thing makes no sense to me. What, is it some kind of thing that one has to list EXILE in every @#$%& poll with the Stones?

That's @#$%& stupid.

Nowhere does it imply I don't listen to EXILE or BEGGARS BANQUET or BLACK AND BLUE or IORR.

I thought there was a law that one should always at least once say "Exile" on a post here. But you're right. I read the forum rules again and in fact there is no such law. I will now go and exile myself.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: December 23, 2020 13:11

1. Most Often: Dirty Work

2. Almost as Often: Out Of Our Heads (UK)

3. Never ... Under Any Circumstances: Goddess In The Doorway and A Bigger Bang

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: first Marianne Faithfull album

5. That You'd Never Admit To: I'd never admit to it.

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: Dirty Work

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: Dirty Work

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: Around And Around (German compilation from 1964)

9. When Life Has Got You Down: first Ramones album

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Crosseyed Heart

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 23, 2020 14:41

Allow me to give this some context, I'm 53, the first Stones album I bought was ER, the first tour I saw was in 81. Dirty Work was bad but I was truly horrified when they came back with Steel Wheels, corporate rock at it's worst and to me that tour was such a letdown, again slick and corporate.

1. Most Often: 'Goats Head Soup'

2. Almost as Often: 'Some Girls or Undercover' but could also be Satanic or BTB

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: 'Steel Wheels'

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: 'Dirty Work'

5. That You'd Never Admit To: 'Dirty Work'

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: 'Brussels Affair'

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: 'Sticky Fingers'

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: 'Emotional Rescue'

9. When Life Has Got You Down: 'Emotional Rescue'

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Nobody's ever told me that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 14:44 by coffeepotman.

Date: December 24, 2020 04:04

ryanpow
Yeah, I know. I was just using "the throw whatever you can at the wall and see if it sticks" line of argument.

LOL well, something stuck!

Date: December 24, 2020 04:05

matxil
GasLightStreet
ryanpow

That's @#$%& stupid.

I thought there was a law that one should always at least once say "Exile" on a post here. But you're right. I read the forum rules again and in fact there is no such law. I will now go and exile myself.

I am not being contrary! EXILE is not an AUTOMATIC rule CHANGER just because it exists!

Date: December 24, 2020 04:07

MrEcho
1. Most Often: Dirty Work

2. Almost as Often: Out Of Our Heads (UK)

3. Never ... Under Any Circumstances: Goddess In The Doorway and A Bigger Bang

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: first Marianne Faithfull album

5. That You'd Never Admit To: I'd never admit to it.

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: Dirty Work

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: Dirty Work

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: Around And Around (German compilation from 1964)

9. When Life Has Got You Down: first Ramones album

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Crosseyed Heart

Ehhhh, well, your choice for #10 is interesting, and it makes sense, but... you didn't follow the code: Stones albums. That aside, clearly it must be April 1st somehow.

Date: December 24, 2020 04:09

coffeepotman
Allow me to give this some context, I'm 53, the first Stones album I bought was ER, the first tour I saw was in 81. Dirty Work was bad but I was truly horrified when they came back with Steel Wheels, corporate rock at it's worst...

I need to know. I must know: please give an example of corporate rock at its best.

Date: December 24, 2020 04:12

GasLightStreet
coffeepotman
Allow me to give this some context, I'm 53, the first Stones album I bought was ER, the first tour I saw was in 81. Dirty Work was bad but I was truly horrified when they came back with Steel Wheels, corporate rock at it's worst...

I need to know. I must know: please give an example of corporate rock at its best.

Corporate rock at it's best....I just don't know...it was something you had to see on MTV in the 80's...it wasn't pretty

At least the Stones didn't do a Michelob commercial

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 04:19 by coffeepotman.

Date: December 24, 2020 04:21

coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman

I can't tell if you're being a prick or are serious. If you don't know what corporate rock is then you'll never know...just carry on with your life

Oh I'm serious. Curious. It's a new twist on something, attempting to find some scale. You said SW was corporate rock at its worst - that means there must be an opposite, which would be excellent corporate rock - so what would that be? I don't know!

Since you're using corporate rock as a derogative then STEEL WHEELS was corporate rock at its finest, actually, in this case, and if that is the case then there must be the opposite as well, which would be at its worse, which means it's hardly corporate. Not sure what that could be. Maybe latter day Aerosmith?

All of that aside, what would you consider to be good corporate rock? I can't think of anything because I've never thought of it that way.

Phil Collins era Genesis?

Date: December 24, 2020 04:22

coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman

Corporate rock at it's best....I just don't know...it was something you had to see on MTV in the 80's...it wasn't pretty

At least the Stones didn't do a Michelob commercial

LOL! I always thought Billy Idol, as cool as he was, he turned corporate with that album that had his horrendous cover of LA Woman on it.

Date: December 24, 2020 04:31

GasLightStreet
coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman

I can't tell if you're being a prick or are serious. If you don't know what corporate rock is then you'll never know...just carry on with your life

Oh I'm serious. Curious. It's a new twist on something, attempting to find some scale. You said SW was corporate rock at its worst - that means there must be an opposite, which would be excellent corporate rock - so what would that be? I don't know!

Since you're using corporate rock as a derogative then STEEL WHEELS was corporate rock at its finest, actually, in this case, and if that is the case then there must be the opposite as well, which would be at its worse, which means it's hardly corporate. Not sure what that could be. Maybe latter day Aerosmith?

All of that aside, what would you consider to be good corporate rock? I can't think of anything because I've never thought of it that way.

Well if you're serious then yes latter Aerosmith is a great example, also later Genesis, you've got down. Just lame soul-less music made for the masses...it sold well and made the Artists lots of money but lost a lot of the fans that they started with.

I apologize for being rude, just things get ugly on this board real quick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 04:33 by coffeepotman.

Date: December 24, 2020 04:34

coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman

Well if you're serious then yes latter Aerosmith is a great example, also later Genesis, you've got down. Just lame soul-less music made for the masses...it sold well and made the Artists lots of money but lost a lot of the fans that they started with.

Rod Stewart! Elton John!

Date: December 24, 2020 04:38

coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman

Sorry. I should've been more clear I wasn't messing with you. But it did get me thinking. I suppose the word "slick" should've been more of a giveaway regarding what you were thinking of, especially given STEEL WHEELS' overall sound (production, really).

Aerosmith - the joke with some friends, which still comes up to this day, was that with GET A GRIP they released 3 singles in a row that were the same song. I know they're actually not but damn they do sound so... interchangeable regarding their titles. I was Amazing when I was Cryin', it's Crazy etc.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 24, 2020 05:27

GasLightStreet
coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman

Sorry. I should've been more clear I wasn't messing with you. But it did get me thinking. I suppose the word "slick" should've been more of a giveaway regarding what you were thinking of, especially given STEEL WHEELS' overall sound (production, really).

Aerosmith - the joke with some friends, which still comes up to this day, was that with GET A GRIP they released 3 singles in a row that were the same song. I know they're actually not but damn they do sound so... interchangeable regarding their titles. I was Amazing when I was Cryin', it's Crazy etc.

Corporate Rock at it's best...U2 doing Vertigo, initially released on the Apple Commercial.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 24, 2020 10:37

1. Most Often: 'Sticky Fingers'

2. Almost as Often: 'Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out'

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: Every album after Tatto You!!

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: 'Emotional Rescue'

5. That You'd Never Admit To: 'Aftermath'

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: 'It's Only Rock n Roll'

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: 'Exile on Main Street'

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: 'More Hot Rocks'

9. When Life Has Got You Down: 'Goats Head Soup'

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: 'Brussels Affair'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-24 10:38 by DiamondDog7.

Date: December 24, 2020 18:09

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman
GasLightStreet
coffeepotman

Corporate Rock at it's best...U2 doing Vertigo, initially released on the Apple Commercial.

U2 and Apple are no different than the Stones, becoming what they were against. @#$%& Apple basically destroyed the record industry thanks to Steve Jobs wanting to put his music library in his pocket - and bizarrely we have him to thank for the streaming nightmare that has killed any chance of artists making a living off their recordings.

The iPod is gone, Vertigo still rocks and Apple is treading water.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 26, 2020 16:07

Stones albums listened to the most: Exile, Let It Bleed, Sticky, Beggars

Guilty Pleasure: Sat Majesties Request

Never ever listen to anymore: Bigger Bang, Emotional Rescue

When I need a Live fix: Live-r Than You'll Ever Be, Ya-Yas

When I want to show someone the Genius of the Stones: Out Of Our Heads, Englands Newest Hit Makers, Between the Buttons, Aftermath

When I want to really dig into the goods: The Black Box

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 26, 2020 17:04

Doxa
A great opener, FancyBluesFan!

But I must admit that since taking The Digital Turn I don't listen very much albums any longer, similarly like Stoneage put it. Just singular songs from here and there. Many times I pick up some song discussed here at IORR, and then go on from there, as I feel like. (The last one was "No Use In Crying" after which I ended up listening the whole TATTOO YOU album). Surely some new releases are the ones I tend up listen more closely, the last one was Dylan's latest that I listen for many weeks from the start to the end. However, as the online business nowadays allows, I might listen stuff that I wouldn't have earlier (when I needed to buy the record to hear the stuff) just out of curiosity and lack of anything else to do. I listened Macca's new album, and I think I have ever listened any of his albums completely ever before. Waste of time, if you ask me... (gladly no one does).

Anyway, I have a big exception to a rule: summer. I happen to have a vinyl player set (a damn good one) at my summer house, and there I listen my old vinyl collection and albums as wholesome deals. It is like listening those old albums fresh again. Living through them again. The place - an old farm belonging to my ancestors - is in the middle of nowhere (literally) and since my closest neighbor lives about one kilometer away, I many times put the speakers outside and listen damn loud (well, my family might sometimes have an opinion about that though...). That's simply wonderful to listen Watts and Wyman groove while drinking a few beers and heating up a sauna in a beautiful, lightful summer night (the latter is a typical Finnish ritual). After a few summers experience, for some reason the albums that give me most pleasure seems to be the early ones: the first, the second, and OUT OF OUR HEADS (I hate myself for selling my copy of AROUND AND AROUND back in the day). Extra kudos to the early EPs as well: THE ROLLING STONES, 5X5 and GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! It is incredible how much pure energy and vitality those early records have, and how damn powerful they sonically sound (to really get that one needs to have the original mono copies).

But music is always a pretty contextual thing: different things work differently in different circumstances (depends on the place and medium, people, own mindset, etc.). As far as my summer experience and digging the early Stones goes, I guess primitive music works in a primitive place for a primitive mind...winking smiley

- Doxa

“...at my summer house”. Ah, my summer house is my winter house, my spring house and my autumn house too. Luckily, in my four seasons house, I have both a few CD players and a nice turntable too.

Rod

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 26, 2020 19:00

Sticky Fingers,Some Girls,Tattoo You,Exile,Goats head soup,sometimes Wandering Spirit

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: December 26, 2020 19:21

Tattoo You..Sister Morphine production.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 26, 2020 20:46

GasLightStreet
coffeepotman

Motley Crue!

They're horrible/awesome...

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: December 26, 2020 21:34

treaclefingers
tomekdp

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: None of the Stones records, not this category...

Really? Not even like Let it Bleed? I do think that LIB and Sticky could vie for that.

Well... let me stick to my opinion smiling smiley
I never considered Stones in category of genius - and if so, "pure genius" expression suits better to other kinds of music. But that's me. If I want to appreciate pure genius... I never listen to Stones with this attitude.
I would rather use words like "ingenuity", "uniqueness", "honesty", "sheer pleasure", "fun" - not necessarily associated with "pure genius" term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-26 21:45 by tomekdp.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home