Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What Stones' Album Do You Listen To...
Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: December 21, 2020 12:28

1. Most Often: 'Let It Bleed'

2. Almost as Often: 'Exile on Main Street'

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: 'Dirty Work'

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: 'Undercover'

5. That You'd Never Admit To: 'Satanic Majesties Request'

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: 'Get Yer Ya-Yas Out'/'Brussels Affair'

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: 'Beggars Banquet'

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: '12 x 5'

9. When Life Has Got You Down: 'Blue and Lonesome'

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: 'A Bigger Bang'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 12:38 by FancyBluesMan.

Re: What Stones' Album Do You Listen To...
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 21, 2020 12:46

I must admit I don't listen to albums the way I used to on a turntable or CD-spinner.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 21, 2020 12:49

FancyBluesMan

Never...Under Any Circumstances: 'Dirty Work'

There's a great EP hidden in that album. winking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 21, 2020 12:55

A new live release aside, Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed are probably the only two albums that are a guaranteed a start-to-finish play-through on a semi-regular basis. Most of the time, admittedly, I generally have one of my many playlists on shuffle.

Date: December 21, 2020 13:23

Most often: BB and Aftermath.

No 2 and ABB are the only ones I rarely play. The former mainly because the best tunes are on EPs and compilations.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 21, 2020 13:31

DandelionPowderman
Most often: BB and Aftermath.

No 2 and ABB are the only ones I rarely play. The former mainly because the best tunes are on EPs and compilations.

The Rolling Stones No.2 is partly forgotten, it seems. Surprising, considering it was such a huge-seller. It spent 10 weeks at number 1! I wonder if it's their biggest-selling L.P. in the U.K.?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 21, 2020 13:51

The only album i don't listen to it's last Mick's solo album: A Bigger Bang.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 21, 2020 13:53

For me it's most often Emotional Rescue, then Beggars, GHS, Exile and Undercover followed by Steel Wheels and Tattoo You.

Live B2B in BA have been spinning every other week (the DVD that is).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 21, 2020 14:01

A great opener, FancyBluesFan!

But I must admit that since taking The Digital Turn I don't listen very much albums any longer, similarly like Stoneage put it. Just singular songs from here and there. Many times I pick up some song discussed here at IORR, and then go on from there, as I feel like. (The last one was "No Use In Crying" after which I ended up listening the whole TATTOO YOU album). Surely some new releases are the ones I tend up listen more closely, the last one was Dylan's latest that I listen for many weeks from the start to the end. However, as the online business nowadays allows, I might listen stuff that I wouldn't have earlier (when I needed to buy the record to hear the stuff) just out of curiosity and lack of anything else to do. I listened Macca's new album, and I think I have ever listened any of his albums completely ever before. Waste of time, if you ask me... (gladly no one does).

Anyway, I have a big exception to a rule: summer. I happen to have a vinyl player set (a damn good one) at my summer house, and there I listen my old vinyl collection and albums as wholesome deals. It is like listening those old albums fresh again. Living through them again. The place - an old farm belonging to my ancestors - is in the middle of nowhere (literally) and since my closest neighbor lives about one kilometer away, I many times put the speakers outside and listen damn loud (well, my family might sometimes have an opinion about that though...). That's simply wonderful to listen Watts and Wyman groove while drinking a few beers and heating up a sauna in a beautiful, lightful summer night (the latter is a typical Finnish ritual). After a few summers experience, for some reason the albums that give me most pleasure seems to be the early ones: the first, the second, and OUT OF OUR HEADS (I hate myself for selling my copy of AROUND AND AROUND back in the day). Extra kudos to the early EPs as well: THE ROLLING STONES, 5X5 and GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! It is incredible how much pure energy and vitality those early records have, and how damn powerful they sonically sound (to really get that one needs to have the original mono copies).

But music is always a pretty contextual thing: different things work differently in different circumstances (depends on the place and medium, people, own mindset, etc.). As far as my summer experience and digging the early Stones goes, I guess primitive music works in a primitive place for a primitive mind...winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 14:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 21, 2020 14:55

Doxa
A great opener, FancyBluesFan!

But I must admit that since taking The Digital Turn I don't listen very much albums any longer, similarly like Stoneage put it. Just singular songs from here and there. Many times I pick up some song discussed here at IORR, and then go on from there, as I feel like. (The last one was "No Use In Crying" after which I ended up listening the whole TATTOO YOU album). Surely some new releases are the ones I tend up listen more closely, the last one was Dylan's latest that I listen for many weeks from the start to the end. However, as the online business nowadays allows, I might listen stuff that I wouldn't have earlier (when I needed to buy the record to hear the stuff) just out of curiosity and lack of anything else to do. I listened Macca's new album, and I think I have ever listened any of his albums completely ever before. Waste of time, if you ask me... (gladly no one does).

Anyway, I have a big exception to a rule: summer. I happen to have a vinyl player set (a damn good one) at my summer house, and there I listen my old vinyl collection and albums as wholesome deals. It is like listening those old albums fresh again. Living through them again. The place - an old farm belonging to my ancestors - is in the middle of nowhere (literally) and since my closest neighbor lives about one kilometer away, I many times put the speakers outside and listen damn loud (well, my family might sometimes have an opinion about that though...). That's simply wonderful to listen Watts and Wyman groove while drinking a few beers and heating up a sauna in a beautiful, lightful summer night (the latter is a typical Finnish ritual). After a few summers experience, for some reason the albums that give me most pleasure seems to be the early ones: the first, the second, and OUT OF OUR HEADS (I hate myself for selling my copy of AROUND AND AROUND back in the day). Extra kudos to the early EPs as well: THE ROLLING STONES, 5X5 and GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! It is incredible how much pure energy and vitality those early records have, and how damn powerful they sonically sound (to really get that one needs to have the original mono copies).

But music is always a pretty contextual thing: different things work differently in different circumstances (depends on the place and medium, people, own mindset, etc.). As far as my summer experience and digging the early Stones goes, I guess primitive music works in a primitive place for a primitive mind...winking smiley

- Doxa

I also enjoyed reading FBF's list (with a smile). Personally I could listen to any Stones album (but always skip Sing this song together part 2 on TSMR). But like you said, that old 60s stuff (must be my old age) still blows my mind. I don't play vinyl, but the SACDs of that old 60s Stones stuff are fulfilling my needs very well (the 1985 ABKCO sh*t CDs were a pain in the neck ...).
When I have to wait in traffic (lights or jams) I always start with Route 66 (live) LOUD! You should see me "sitting" behind the wheel ... grinning smiley
(Occasionally I put on She Said Yeah, also LOUD).

smileys with beer

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: December 21, 2020 15:13

1. Most Often: 'Sticky Fingers'

2. Almost as Often: 'Steel Wheels'

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: 'Their Satanic'

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: 'Dirty Work'

5. That You'd Never Admit Not to Like: 'Exile...'

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: Maybe "Dirty Work", played loud?

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: None of the Stones records, not this category...

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: 'Flashpoint'

9. When Life Has Got You Down: 'Beggars Banquet'

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Some of the recent DVD's 1990+[/quote]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 15:14 by tomekdp.

Date: December 21, 2020 15:22

Hampton

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 21, 2020 16:00

Don't listen to Stones albums - or any albums - much anymore. I pick songs off of various Stones albums for listening as part of a mix. My go to Stones albums if I want an album listening experience are Beggar's Banquet and the American version of The Rolling Stones Now which is my favorite Stones album.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 21, 2020 17:03

(The 12/21/20 edition)
1. Most Often: 'Bootlegs'

2. Almost as Often: 'Goat's Head Soup Deluxe'

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: 'Dirty Work/Undercover'

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: 'Satanic Majesties Request'

5. That You'd Never Admit To:

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: 'LA Friday'

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: 'Hot Rocks'

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: 'Ya Ya's'

9. When Life Has Got You Down: 'Crosseyed Heart'

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: 'Living In A Ghost Town/Yet to be titled next album'

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 21, 2020 17:12

I am glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't listen to entire albums as much as I used to do. However, when I do put on an album, it will be most likely:
1) Exile On Main Street. The most likely choice
2) Let It Bleed. Also high on the list.
3) Tattoo You.
After that, it would be:
4) Any of Beggar's Banquet, Sticky Fingers or Some Girls
5) Any of Aftermath, Emotional Rescue, Stones No1, or Out Of Our Heads
(If this also counts: 6) Crosseyed Heart)

That's it. For the rest, it's an occasional song here and there from YouTube. Surprisingly often, considered it's from an album I don't care about and never listen to (and I don't even have at home), it's One Hit. I really like that song *and* the clip. (Although the break is better on the album version than on the official video-clip version, both are on YouTube).

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 21, 2020 17:14

Mostly live on youtube. With some wine. But Emotional Rescue when I do the dishes and stuff. smiling smiley

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: December 21, 2020 17:22

I think you should give another chance to Dirty Work, the guitars on Fight worth the album.

Also Dirty Work is a great song. The guitars are on fire on that album.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: December 21, 2020 18:25

matxil
I am glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't listen to entire albums as much as I used to do.

Interesting.
I tend to only listen to full albums. Not sure why, exactly, but I like to listen to it as the musicians/artists intended it (or at least how it was released).

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 21, 2020 18:26

Absolutely, Fernando!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 21, 2020 18:30

More often than not: Exile on Main Street, followed by anything live (mostly boots) from the 69 tour.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2020 18:55

All of them up to Undercover, and if I want to hear any individual tunes after that album I listen on youtube, though I still do listen to the Ghost Town single on both vinyl and cd.
Of all the albums up to Undercover, I'd say Black and Blue, E,motional Rescue, and Undercover itself are probably the weakest, and I tend to skip around on those.
The rest I listen from start to finish (even Satanic Majesties) , and while not all tracks are the greatest on all these albums, they do contribute to the entire album listening experience as a whole.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 21, 2020 21:01

1. Most Often: UNDERCOVER/TATTOO YOU

2. Almost As Often: GOATS HEAD SOUP/EMOTIONAL RESCUE

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: DIRTY WORK

4. When Seeking A Guilty Pleasure: BETWEEN THE BUTTONS

5. That You'd Never Admit To: TSMR - only the EP's worth of good songs

6. If You Need A Shot Of Adrenaline: GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!, STILL LIFE, NO SECURITY (certain tracks), LOVE YOU LIVE (certain tracks)

7. When You Want To Appreciate Pure Genius: LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, TATTOO YOU

8. When You're Itching To Turn Back The Clock: SUCKING IN THE 70S, REWIND

9. When Life Has Got You Down: A BIGGER BANG (this came out right after Hurricane Katrina kept me on the run and rurnt my life for a while, the only thing positive at that point, so it has that kind of uplift for me)

10. When People Tell You The Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Living In A Ghost Town: I've played it for some people and they were absolutely floored that it was The Rolling Stones. Not that that really matters but they did really like it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 22, 2020 01:36

As of late I've been listening to EOMS and Some Girls the most.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 22, 2020 02:52

The last ones I listing were Beggars, Bleed and Exile

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 22, 2020 03:19

Exile, Sticky Fingers, Brussels.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 22, 2020 05:40

1. Most Often: Exile, Let It Bleed and lately Goat's Head Soup

2. Almost as Often: Beggar's Banquet, Aftermath and Some Girls

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: Streets Of Love, Fight, Hold Back Infamy

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: Emotional Rescue

5. That You'd Never Admit To: Steel Wheels

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: 'Get Yer Ya-Yas Out'/'Brussels Affair' - Agree

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: Exile On Main St

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: Out Of Our Heads US version

9. When Life Has Got You Down: Let It Bleed

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: 'A Bigger Bang' along with Doom and Gloom and Living In A Ghost Town

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 22, 2020 06:12

1. Most Often: SOME GIRLS

2. Almost As Often: STICKY FINGERS

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: I listen to all of their albums no matter what. The two I play the least are DIRTY WORK & BRIDGES TO BABYLON

4. When Seeking A Guilty Pleasure: UNDERCOVER

5. That You'd Never Admit To: VOODOO LOUNGE

6. If You Need A Shot Of Adrenaline: GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!

7. When You Want To Appreciate Pure Genius: LET IT BLEED

8. When You're Itching To Turn Back The Clock: SINGLES COLLECTION: THE LONDON YEARS

9. When Life Has Got You Down: GOATS HEAD SOUP

10. When People Tell You The Stones Don't Matter Anymore: BLUE & LONESOME + Living In A Ghost Town

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-22 06:20 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: December 22, 2020 08:59

1. Most Often: 'Exile on Main St.'

2. Almost as Often: 'Goats Head Soup"

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: No Stones albums are off limits.

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: 'Undercover'AGREE

5. That You'd Never Admit To: I'd admit to listen to anything STONES!

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: Tattoo You" (Side 1 Album)

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: 'Hot Rocks'

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: 'Blue and Lonesome'

9. When Life Has Got You Down: 'Tattoo You" (Side 2 Album)'

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Song: Living in a Ghost Town. / Album/ CD - Hot Rocks - Side 3 of album - These 5 songs are all time classics and truly TIMELESS! ''

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2020 10:17

Goats Head & Bonus stuff
Exile
Hillside Blues ....Geeeeeeezzz thrashed it for days...then weeks
Blue & lonesome esp Hoo Doo ... Lil Rain and I Cant Quit YOU Babeeeeee ...
Aftermath ... UK ...
Beggars
Sticky .....
Bleed ....
12 X 5
Bang
Early takes of Jigsaw ....

well yeah ..thats from memoreeee and whats piled beside stereo ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 22, 2020 10:46

FancyBluesMan

Finally got it Fancy Blues Man!winking smiley

1. Most Often: Emotional Rescue

2. Almost as Often: Exile

3. Never...Under Any Circumstances: TSMR

4. When Seeking a Guilty Pleasure: Undercover

5. That You'd Never Admit To: On this website I guess it's Dirty Work

6. If You Need a Shot of Adrenaline: Dirty Work

7. When You Want to Appreciate Pure Genius: Sticky Fingers

8. When You're Itching to Turn Back the Clock: A Bigger Bang

9. When Life Has Got You Down: Beggars Banquet

10. When People Tell You the Stones Don't Matter Anymore: Blue And Lonesome

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home