Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Under My thumb Cover Version
Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: December 20, 2020 22:57

I really like this version of the song even if it's been since 1979,
I saw this band open for ACDC in Ottawa in 1980,
they played the song twice, once at the beginning and they closed their set with it as well.

Wondering what you guys thought of the version?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Under My thumb Cover Version
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2020 23:01

....sounded like Superfreak at times

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 23:11

Streetheart was pretty popular in Canada in the late 70s-early 80s. They opened for AC/DC in Vancouver in July 80. This song got a lot of airplay up here but I never was a huge fan of it.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 20, 2020 23:43

Remarkable about the original was the instrumentation. If you differ from that you can either go bland or parody...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2020 00:59

In my honest opinion - horrible.

Date: December 21, 2020 01:07

Several members of Streetheart went on to play with other Canadian bands. Guitarist Paul Dean and drummer Matt Frenette were members of Loverboy, who had a few hits in the States like Turn Me Loose, Kid Is Hot Tonight and Working For The Weekend. Bassist Ken Sinnaeve played with Tom Cochrane as well as Kim Mitchell.
I remember reading an interview with Bob Rock, who produced a lot of albums in Vancouver along with Bruce Fairbairn from bands like Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Metallica, Motley Crue, etc. He was asked what musicians he was impressed with, and I was a bit surprised when he mentioned Matt Frenette!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 21, 2020 02:27

Oh yeah. Made it halfway through the song and gave it up. It's like a novelty tune with all the whizz bang sounds lurking in the background and the coffee commercial percolation happening as the lead in riff. Also thought it was like someone in the band got a synthesizer and said, Gee, what can I do with this? Sorry, harleybla, to knock it, but you did ask what we thought.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 21, 2020 02:49

They also do a cover of Here Comes The Night on the same album from '79, Under Heaven Over Hell, if I'm remembering that right.

I like that one better. I don't mind their version of UMT, but it is very pop so small doses please.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 21, 2020 03:03

Saw the subject, thought of this:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2020 03:06

eeeeeerrrrr okay

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2020 03:41

Never knew this version from The Who existed, thanks for sharing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 03:41 by harleybla.

Date: December 21, 2020 04:29

The Who released UMT and The Last Time as a single in the summer of 67 after the Redlands bust. It was to support the Stones by releasing their music because no one knew what kind of sentence they would get. Mick and Keith were released before the songs were released.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 21, 2020 22:21

It's a decent enough, new-wavey kind of song. The intro sounds a lot like the 81 tour version , so knowing this came out a couple of years before I give them some points for not copying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 22:26 by ryanpow.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 22, 2020 00:31

Has anyone heard a version from The Hounds approx 1979. I used to love that version. Had the album but its long gone.

Date: December 22, 2020 06:04

timmyj3
Has anyone heard a version from The Hounds approx 1979. I used to love that version. Had the album but its long gone.

this one?
[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 22, 2020 06:10

Another not too bad version I think:

by: "Electric Mud"

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: December 22, 2020 10:56

Spike from Di-rect

[m.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-22 11:03 by Lien.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 22, 2020 12:40

That was interesting to listen. They updated the song for the sounds and aesthetics of that era. But I admit I had it enough by the time of guitar solo...

But what I always find funny in hearing/watching these youtube cover versions of Stones tunes is the commentary section. The common feature is: this is better than the Stones original! Now I read about thirty posts and they pretty much had nothing else to say... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 22, 2020 14:54

I renounced my Canadian citizenship over this song.

Somewhat drastic to be sure - I mean there are worse Stones covers out there - but I couldn't keep bowing to a regime that force-fed me crap like this with their fascist Canadian content laws. They brainwash you in Canada. And here's the proof: I was a Streetheart fan before I was a Stones fan! How f##ked up is that? Think about it...

I miss the hockey but I know I made the right decision. If there are any Canadians on this board I advise you to pack up and leave - it's very liberating.

Posted by: meck1211 ()
Date: December 22, 2020 17:13

My favorit version

Gov`t Mule

on Stoned side of the mule
2 LPs of great Stones cover.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home