Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Vinyl market after ‘no deal’ Brexit
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 21:18

The last RS vinyl pressed in England was issued in 1997. Since 1998, only Made in EU records. What if the U.K. will leave with no deal? Are they supposed to start issuing Made in England records again?
Merry Christmas to everybody and BV,

Re: Vinyl market after ‘no deal’ Brexit
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 20, 2020 21:38

Is there any vinyl pressing plant left operational in the UK?

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 22:04

There are at least two vinyl factories in the UK, Vinyl Presents and The Vinyl Factory.

But I assume that brexit won't change anything.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 22:23

ds1984
There are at least two vinyl factories in the UK, Vinyl Presents and The Vinyl Factory.

But I assume that brexit won't change anything.

Correct. If there's a no deal Brexit, shipping services will not cease and the Channel Tunnel will not be filled in with concrete. Goods will still travel in both directions but tariffs will be added, making them a little more expensive. The sky is not about to cave in and the World will keep turning. We didn't join in the 1st place until 1973 and most of the music we celebrate on this board was made before that year. And I personally voted remain.

And I should point out that England and the UK are not the same thing.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 20, 2020 23:01

England is one of the four countries that, combined, make up the nation state, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I, too, voted to remain. However, I want it over with and I’m very-much looking forward to bring rid of covid, Barnier and Junker smileys with beer

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: December 21, 2020 09:34

I know very well the difference between U.K. and England. The matter is that vinyl records sometimes read 'Made In England'(DECCA Records) and sometimes read 'Made in U.K.' (RSR). It's not the core of the matter, to me. The point is that I collect vinyl pressed in U.K./GB/ England, in the USA and in the EEC/EU. As a consequence, I'm trying to figure out if there's going to be a revamp of vinyl pressing in U.K./GB/ England due to no deal Brexit or if things will remain the way they are from 1998 and, in other words, U.K./GB/ England will keep on receiving records shipped from EU.
That said, I sincerely hoped that that great Country would have found a way to remain: we're all going loose something important for the whole continent, IMO.
Bye, Luca

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 21, 2020 09:52

I lived in the UK in 1971. I bought a whole bunch of vinyls, shipped them to NL but when I returned I had to pay so much tax that it would have been the same if I would have bought them in NL.
Britain was economically a mess in 1971. On TV, right after the early evening news, a list of bankrupt companies was shown every day. Each following day that list became longer. Not just longer, it became shockingly long. The government had already stopped military support to the Emirates because of lack of money. I couldn’t communicate with my folks at home for three (!) months, due to strikes by the postal services and phone (!) services. Then there was D-day in February when Britain went decimal. Food prices went up instantly, people more than upset. Britain was in an economic mess and ..... fled into the EEC in 1972! (Off course they will never admit that). Having said that, as a student I had a great time then. I hope that the UK will not be hurt badly by that other “virus” called arrogance ... and that it will do what Pete Townshend did on stage at the end of the song Boris The Spider ... smash it under his feet ...
Facing current UK my (anglofile) heart is in deep pain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1356
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home