Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Still listen to the Moody Blues?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 20, 2020 03:16

Some songs from Days of Future Passed came up in my music listening experience the past few days. Used to love listening to the entire albums put out by the Moody Blues, but they haven't crossed my turntable/CD player in ages. Does anybody listen to In Search Of The Lost Chord, On The Threshold Of A Dream and similar anymore, or are they relics of their time, nostalgia pieces for us folks who now say, "Back In The Day"? Did we need elevated consciousness (cough cough, if ya know what I mean) to listen to them? (There's much music from then that could fit this view.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 18:13 by dmay.

Re: OT: Still listen to the Moddy Blues?
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 20, 2020 03:26

Love them. The first 7 albums are classics. I’ve seen them many many times. Justin Hayward is a great songwriter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 03:26 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: December 20, 2020 04:15

I love the Moody Blues! Are the moddy blues a very mod band?

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 20, 2020 15:35

Days of Future Past still gets an occasional spin every now and then -- has aged pretty well overall. Some of their singles from the 70's ditto.

Way back in the early 60's when they did "Go Now" with Denny Laine was good too. Did they ever do an album with that line up ? If so, how was it ?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 21, 2020 10:57

bob r

Way back in the early 60's when they did "Go Now" with Denny Laine was good too. Did they ever do an album with that line up ? If so, how was it ?

They did, indeed. I'm not sure how good it is, though.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Re: OT: Still listen to the Moody Blues?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 21, 2020 11:38

I remember they were a relief from all the hard rock going on, without compromising their poetry. Questions will still stop me in my tracks.

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: December 21, 2020 11:55

Was never a fan and I feel their sound is 'dated'...but I did happen to give 'Legend of a Mind' a spin the other day while browsing through some YouTube stuff.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 21, 2020 14:41

Saw the Moody Blues a few years ago at PNC Garden State Arts Center.

They recreated their 60s orchestral sound well...

The band included three original members on guitar & vocal, bass & vocal, and the original drummer, who was kinda old and feeble.
Fortunately, the modern-day touring Moody Blues augmented sufficiently and included a 2nd drummer -- another, younger guy playing the actual drums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-21 14:42 by schillid.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 21, 2020 22:19

schillid
Saw the Moody Blues a few years ago at PNC Garden State Arts Center.

They recreated their 60s orchestral sound well...

The band included three original members on guitar & vocal, bass & vocal, and the original drummer, who was kinda old and feeble.
Fortunately, the modern-day touring Moody Blues augmented sufficiently and included a 2nd drummer -- another, younger guy playing the actual drums.

Graeme Edge the Moody Blues drummer is the main drummer. The second drummer is there for a fuller sound. They have been doing this for over 25 years. He’s not feeble. He still kicks ass on drums

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 21, 2020 22:46

I love the Pinder-era Moodies, but they got kinda schmaltzy later on, and their setlists are as stale as The Stones.

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: December 22, 2020 22:57

I got free tickets to a Moody Blues show back in 1983.

What I remember from that show is being blown away by the opener, a young guitar slinger from Texas named Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 23, 2020 01:00

"What I remember from that show is being blown away by the opener, a young guitar slinger from Texas named Stevie Ray Vaughan."

This is one of those WTF moments like when the Jimi Hendrix Experience opened for the Monkees.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 23, 2020 02:07

If they got together with The Who, they could be The Moody Whos.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2020 02:41

and with The Dixie Chicks they'd become The Moody Chicks

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 23, 2020 03:01

The Dixie Chicks are now the Chicks (without Dix).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 03:01 by loog droog.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2020 04:13

Geeeeez that'll be even worse..
The Moody Dix .... hhhaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 23, 2020 04:57

Blue Dix...even worser.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 23, 2020 08:37

dmay
"What I remember from that show is being blown away by the opener, a young guitar slinger from Texas named Stevie Ray Vaughan."

This is one of those WTF moments like when the Jimi Hendrix Experience opened for the Monkees.

Yes, I’ve read about the Experience opening for The Monkees. This must’ve been their first North American tour.

A few months prior to this, they toured the U.K. in support of Engelbert Humperdinck! Ok, so the bill also included Cat Stevens and the Walker Brothers, but even so!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 23, 2020 08:54

I saw them in ‘69 on a rather strange bill. They were the headliners, preceded by a rock trio from San Francisco called Aum, preceded by an unknown duo called Seals and Crofts. Aum never went far, though they were a good band, but Seals and Crofts had some big hits in the ‘70’s. The Moody’s were just ok.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: December 24, 2020 00:40

[www.youtube.com]

Some of their lyrical stuff hasn't aged well. But a lot of their melodies were truly wonderful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home