Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: YES & RUSH
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 17, 2020 03:35

I liked Yes early on (vocals were a bit of an acquired taste, true) but I never saw any link between Yes and Rush. To me, Yes was intellectual, lyrically and musically and kind of heavy handed (not as bad as King Crimson, but sort of leaning that way) while Rush was just party music for red freaks. Maybe I missed out on something but that was always my impression. Didn't hear much Rush where I lived I guess, I think they were more huge up in the great north east than in California.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2020 03:52

Cant comment .... never allowed any
any of 'em into me home let alone me stereo ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: December 17, 2020 05:05

jbwelda
I liked Yes early on (vocals were a bit of an acquired taste, true) but I never saw any link between Yes and Rush. To me, Yes was intellectual, lyrically and musically and kind of heavy handed (not as bad as King Crimson, but sort of leaning that way) while Rush was just party music for red freaks. Maybe I missed out on something but that was always my impression. Didn't hear much Rush where I lived I guess, I think they were more huge up in the great north east than in California.

jb

@jbwelda

I wasn't necessarily trying to show a link between the 2 bands, other than they're the 2 greatest prog. rock bands. Your assessment of Yes is pretty spot on, though I'd add with a heavy dose of spirituality (they studied all Eastern philosophy & religions). Also, if you go to a Yes concert vs. a Rush show, you'll notice there's a healthy amount of females @ Yes, while Rush is usually 95%+ dudes. Rush were the hard prog. rockers b/w the 2. What is a "red freak"?

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: December 17, 2020 06:19

Funny, but the few Yes fans I have come across also subscribe to the notion that the Stones are overrated because "they can't play their instruments".

To me, it's always been about the songs. I am a huge Stones, Dylan, and Neil Young fan because they have each created and recorded hundreds of great songs.

That Jeff Beck or Bill Bruford or Greg Lake could play their instruments better than Keith Richards, Charlie Watts or Bill Wyman means nothing to me. I just want to hear album sides of good rock n roll songs. Not jazzy guitar solos, or 20 minute improvisational album sides, or overtures or suites or any of that other BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 06:20 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 17, 2020 08:00

JimmyTheSaint
Growing up in Canada, I was exposed to Rush early and often. I'm not a huge fan of their earlier material, but I do like some of their songs from Permanent Waves on quite a bit.

Jacob's Ladder, Entre Nous, Limelight, Red Barchetta, Subdivisions are among the tracks of theirs that I enjoy. I also greatly appreciate how well the three of them represented Canada. They are all good family men. And Neil Peart was a very interesting person. Phenomenal drummer, deep thinker, talented writer.

I do not like Yes. The only song of theirs that ever moved me was "Owner of a Lonely Heart" upon its release. And if I'm not mistaken, that track represented a departure from their usual sound, no?

Wow, I'm very similar! Got into Rush with Permanent Waves, CF0X in Vancouver played Spirit of Radio a ton. Then Moving Pictures. Didn't really follow them much after the mid 80s.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 17, 2020 08:21

Funny how when people talk about Yes, the first 2 albums ('Yes' & 'Time and a Word') are seldom mentioned. I prefer the more straightforward early songs than the epic 'prog' they became known for - although 'The Yes Album' is something of a transition. While most have never heard of (guitarist) Peter Banks, he was a visionary in his own right, even if he wasn't the virtuoso Steve Howe was. Same with Tony Kaye, who just seemed to put the right chords in the right place, as opposed to classically-trained (and flashy) Wakeman. There is often more soul in simplicity.

With Rush, again, I prefer the more straightforward early 80's 'Moving Pictures' era, than the long-winded 70's bloatedness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 08:24 by mosthigh.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 17, 2020 09:18

KevinM
Just a sample of (relatively shorter) great songs that aren't the 10-20min Opus' (their other Masterpieces). I have compiled these for those who haven't had much exposure to the band and/or it just didn't "click" when you last heard them etc.

Every Little Thing (Beatles cover)

Yours Is No Disgrace

Starship Trooper

Perpetual Change

Going For The One

I've Seen All Good People

Looking Around

Yep Starship Trooper was my Yessong, remember seeing it on Don Kirshner’s late night show in the 70’s and totally loving it....

Date: December 17, 2020 11:06

mosthigh
Funny how when people talk about Yes, the first 2 albums ('Yes' & 'Time and a Word') are seldom mentioned. I prefer the more straightforward early songs than the epic 'prog' they became known for - although 'The Yes Album' is something of a transition. While most have never heard of (guitarist) Peter Banks, he was a visionary in his own right, even if he wasn't the virtuoso Steve Howe was. Same with Tony Kaye, who just seemed to put the right chords in the right place, as opposed to classically-trained (and flashy) Wakeman. There is often more soul in simplicity.

With Rush, again, I prefer the more straightforward early 80's 'Moving Pictures' era, than the long-winded 70's bloatedness.

Both are great. Many are turned off by the orchestra on Time And A Word, but I like it. They are covering The Byrds on their debut, too smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-17 12:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: December 17, 2020 12:23

Good bass player, but their songs always sound like five different songs being played at the same time, and no one knows what the other members are doing. The keyboards make them sound really dated and the vocals are excruciating. Horrible lyrics too.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 17, 2020 14:09

I dabbled in Yes back in the day and they were ok. I saw them with the Yeggles line up in 1980 and again with Jon Anderson on the 90125 tour. I haven't listened to Yes for many years. Drama was a low point for me.

I was also into Rush back in the day and came back to them earlier this year after Neil Peart's sad passing. I really appreciate their work much more now.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 17, 2020 14:11

WorriedAboutYou
Good bass player, but their songs always sound like five different songs being played at the same time, and no one knows what the other members are doing. The keyboards make them sound really dated and the vocals are excruciating. Horrible lyrics too.

I agree in some parts but disagree in others:

Agree:
- The bassplayer was in a way the one that gave Yes their special sound. In that way the most important member.
- The keyboards often sound dated and partly ruins some songs (And You And I comes to my mind). But Wakeman added som much to Yes so he's forgiven. Some say that Tony Kaye was sacked because he would just (almost) play organ.
- The lyrics were in my ears mostly nonsens.

Disagree:
- I think they all know exactly what the others are doing. You don't mix them up with Cream playing live? Three individuals trying to shine on their own and not always seem to listen to each other?
- Vocals excruciating? I don't love his voice but aren't you a littlel harsh now?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 17, 2020 21:00

I thought the bass playing carried most Yes songs. Reminded me of Jack Cassidy who along with Jack Bruce I consider the best rock bass players ever.

Red Freak: one who overindulges in downers, mainly seconol which were referred to as "reds". You could usually spot them because they are lying on the floor passed out by the second or third song. Very common in the seventies especially before Quaaludes disappeared from existance.

"red freak uncle sam" was a Stones reference.

jb

Date: December 17, 2020 21:34

jbwelda
I thought the bass playing carried most Yes songs. Reminded me of Jack Cassidy who along with Jack Bruce I consider the best rock bass players ever.

Red Freak: one who overindulges in downers, mainly seconol which were referred to as "reds". You could usually spot them because they are lying on the floor passed out by the second or third song. Very common in the seventies especially before Quaaludes disappeared from existance.

"red freak uncle sam" was a Stones reference.

jb

And now the Grateful Dead lyric from Truckin' comes full circle. "Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C & Coc*ine, hang it up & see what tomorrow brings".

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 17, 2020 21:44

[www.youtube.com]

Rick Wakeman Cat Stevens Story Morning Has Broken
starts at 5.19 - Rick talks about the song and cat stevens.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 17, 2020 21:58

[www.youtube.com]

Rush 2112 - Neil genius drummer and writer for Rush. This album is a masterpiece.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 18, 2020 03:13

I just listened to Starship Trooper for the first time in at least 30 years. It took a little time to find it cuz I couldn’t recall the title – all I remembered was that it was the only YES song I ever liked. Glad I reconnected with it - Transcendent and joyous tune. However, I have no desire to delve further into ‘prog rock.’

Growing up Canadian and bound by Canadian content laws, I’m more familiar with Rush. Spirit of Radio is probably my favorite song but it was semi-ruined for me after I began to understand Peart’s pretentious lyrics. Geddy should’ve called Petty and asked him if he needed another Rickenbacker in his band.

If I had to appease a fan of this type of music I’d gladly say it’s better than metal and rap but really it’s a pass for me.

Date: December 18, 2020 03:38

Swayed1967
I just listened to Starship Trooper for the first time in at least 30 years. It took a little time to find it cuz I couldn’t recall the title – all I remembered was that it was the only YES song I ever liked. Glad I reconnected with it - Transcendent and joyous tune. However, I have no desire to delve further into ‘prog rock.’

Growing up Canadian and bound by Canadian content laws, I’m more familiar with Rush. Spirit of Radio is probably my favorite song but it was semi-ruined for me after I began to understand Peart’s pretentious lyrics. Geddy should’ve called Petty and asked him if he needed another Rickenbacker in his band.

If I had to appease a fan of this type of music I’d gladly say it’s better than metal and rap but really it’s a pass for me.

I posted ~7 songs that aren't the long/drawn-out pieces for which they are also famous. You'll find them halfway up, on page 2, same thread. Starship Trooper is also one my favs & I'm venturing to guess you'd like a few more that I posted, several came from the same album as ST. I'd love to hear future feedback if you'd care to sample them, thanks & I hope you enjoy it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 29, 2021 19:15

YES - 1991 Union Tour - 30th Anniversary Super-Deluxe Flight-Case Box-Set with 26CD + 4DVD:

25-Jun-2021 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 30, 2021 01:19

Yes: 90125 - Talk
Rush: s/t - Test For Echoes

The rest I just can't dig.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 30, 2021 01:28

I just don´t like bands who can´t play Back In The USA properly.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 30, 2021 17:24

Irix
YES - 1991 Union Tour - 30th Anniversary Super-Deluxe Flight-Case Box-Set with 26CD + 4DVD:

25-Jun-2021 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

That was a fantastic tour, wish they'd just release one good cd/blu-ray box, this just seems like overkill that only a Yes completist would purchase.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 30, 2021 17:50

kovach

That was a fantastic tour, wish they'd just release one good cd/blu-ray box, this just seems like overkill that only a Yes completist would purchase.

There's also a DVD+4LP edition - [www.Amazon.com] , [www.jpc.de] . The DVD+4LP contains the Shoreline Amphitheatre show (8-Aug-1991) - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1774
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home